Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home Hub

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Anyone know if Google are planning on selling any of the other ones on their store? The Lenovo one is like gold dust here and they cancelled my order (presumably because of redirect address).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Not Google themselves but due out in UK this month according to this site

https://www.techradar.com/news/lenovo-smart-display-release-date-confirmed-for-the-uk

I got one from this US seller on eBay when they came out

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/263843723887

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

464569.jpg

Arrrghhh I want to get home and play with it but it'll be at least 20:30 before I can take it out of the box. I would have had a chance to play with it last night but my 17 month old had other ideas about her going to sleep than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭jogdish

Arrrghhh I want to get home and play with it but it'll be at least 20:30 before I can take it out of the box. I would have had a chance to play with it last night but my 17 month old had other ideas about her going to sleep than I did.

If you get a chance to play with it:

When playing a radio station what does the screen show?
    Can you view a regular webpage on the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

jogdish wrote: »
    If you get a chance to play with it:

When playing a radio station what does the screen show?

I'd like to know this too.

as mentioned earlier my wife wants a radio back in the kitchen so was going to get a Goggle Hub instead ;):)

250?cb=20140126104320

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I got one yesterday, not beside it at the moment but when streaming a radio station it shows a tunein screen with radio station icon and whats playing.

There is no web browser so doesnt display web pages.

Its snappier than the lenovo smart display (that is due an update to add multiroom/homegroup support so hopefully it speeds it up as its a big laggy starting media).

They need to give an option to stop the google home responding when you ask it to play something as that seems to delay the media starting and although it will be in sync with homegroup speakers it starts slower.

The unit itself is tiny (7 inches), looks great though.

I got one yesterday, not beside it at the moment but when streaming a radio station it shows a tunein screen with radio station icon and whats playing.

There is no web browser so doesnt display web pages.

Thanks!
    Pity I use MotionEyeOS for my front door camera - much cheaper than a nest thing with monthly and does almost the same, but the interface is only via webpage :(
    Other than it being lovely and a gadget dunno if I can justify it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can you play YouTube videos?

Not sure I see the point of it tbh, does it do anything your phone can't?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Can you play YouTube videos?

Not sure I see the point of it tbh, does it do anything your phone can't?

Yes, it can play Youtube videos. Though at the moment it is primitive support, no playlists, etc. But I suspect that will improve.

As for the second question, people always ask questions like that about Google Home, Alexa, etc. But people who get them quickly realise the difference.

Strictly speaking you are correct, your phone can do everything GH and the hub can do. But it is so much faster and more convenient to just say "Hey Google, turn off lights" then it is to take your phone out of your pocket, unlock it, find the Hue app, navigate to the light you want and turn it off.

Non of this smart technology is a most have, but a lot of it just makes your life a small bit easier, a small bit more comfortable, and even a bit more fun.

It is up to yourself if that is worth it to you or not.

I kinda hate* myself, but almost certain I'll get one - but gonna wait and see what happens on black/cyber whatever in November.

*knowing full well RTE radio 1 will not work at some point and I'll be complaining yet again :(

• Advertisement

Finally getting a chance to play with this properly and I have to say, I quite like it. As another poster mentioned, it's not exactly a must have item, for me it's just a bit of fun and interesting to see how it integrates with everything else.

You can use it to control media on your other Google devices. So at the moment I have music playing through the larger Google Home and I can control it from the Hub which is situated on a sideboard right beside the sofa. I haven't explored the full functionality of using Spotify on it but you have limited control, pause, skip, previous but no button to shuffle or repeat which is a little annoying. So far as I can tell you can't pick specific playlists from your account, rather it suggests some to you. Again that's kind of annoying but something that might get fixed in an update. If you click away from the music screen to do something else you can't quickly get back to it and have to go through the process again. It doesn't take long but there show be some way to slide back to what's happening.

The Nest camera and thermostat integration is done really well. There's a dedicated camera button and it shows you a list of what cameras you have. Click and a few seconds later it appears on the display. As on the updated app controlling your bulbs and the thermostat is done really well, it's very slick.

The integration with Google photos is quite nice. I was a little concerned as the screen is fairly low res but you'd never really know it looking at it. Your photos are really well presented it with a mixture of some being displayed full screen and others being split 50/50. The adaptive element of the screen is excellent. It's never overpowering and adapts its hue to reflect whatever the lighting conditions in the room are.

I haven't used the recipe function nor the YouTube functionality, I'll get to that in due course. There are a lot of small features which require you to speak to the assistant so I haven't explored those fully (I have the mic off for the moment as I use the larger Home unit for music and queries) but essentially it's a visual unit for the queries you'd run through the audio only units.

As stated there's absolutely no need for it but it's a bit of fun. I haven't had time to check it out properly as between work and family there's no 'me' time at the moment. If you have specific queries you want answers to just ask away and I'll see if I can do them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Finally getting a chance to play with this properly and I have to say, I quite like it. As another poster mentioned, it's not exactly a must have item, for me it's just a bit of fun and interesting to see how it integrates with everything else.

You can use it to control media on your other Google devices. So at the moment I have music playing through the larger Google Home and I can control it from the Hub which is situated on a sideboard right beside the sofa. I haven't explored the full functionality of using Spotify on it but you have limited control, pause, skip, previous but no button to shuffle or repeat which is a little annoying. So far as I can tell you can't pick specific playlists from your account, rather it suggests some to you. Again that's kind of annoying but something that might get fixed in an update. If you click away from the music screen to do something else you can't quickly get back to it and have to go through the process again. It doesn't take long but there show be some way to slide back to what's happening.

The Nest camera and thermostat integration is done really well. There's a dedicated camera button and it shows you a list of what cameras you have. Click and a few seconds later it appears on the display. As on the updated app controlling your bulbs and the thermostat is done really well, it's very slick.

The integration with Google photos is quite nice. I was a little concerned as the screen is fairly low res but you'd never really know it looking at it. Your photos are really well presented it with a mixture of some being displayed full screen and others being split 50/50. The adaptive element of the screen is excellent. It's never overpowering and adapts its hue to reflect whatever the lighting conditions in the room are.

I haven't used the recipe function nor the YouTube functionality, I'll get to that in due course. There are a lot of small features which require you to speak to the assistant so I haven't explored those fully (I have the mic off for the moment as I use the larger Home unit for music and queries) but essentially it's a visual unit for the queries you'd run through the audio only units.

As stated there's absolutely no need for it but it's a bit of fun. I haven't had time to check it out properly as between work and family there's no 'me' time at the moment. If you have specific queries you want answers to just ask away and I'll see if I can do them for you.

Quick question, i have a Nest Hello, will the image come up on the screen of the hub without any input from me when the doorbell is pressed? & how dark does the display go when the lights are completely turned off, ie can the display shut off altogether?.... seriously considering this !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭PreCocious

You can select Spotift playlists.

Even better it can also play the Daily Mixes which alexa can't do.

PreCocious wrote: »
    You can select Spotift playlists.

Even better it can also play the Daily Mixes which alexa can't do.

I don't see an option to select a playlist- where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭PreCocious

I don't see an option to select a playlist- where is that?

I meant using voice commands. I realise you were probably referring to touch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I haven't explored the full functionality of using Spotify on it but you have limited control, pause, skip, previous but no button to shuffle or repeat which is a little annoying. So far as I can tell you can't pick specific playlists from your account, rather it suggests some to you. Again that's kind of annoying but something that might get fixed in an update.

Yes, the reviews mention this for a lot of the apps, youtube, podcasts, etc. That the apps are missing key expected features and feel a little unfinished. Most are hoping that they were just rushed out and they will be updated in time. I'd be very surprised if they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 luckyluke87

For me personally Google home hub is no buy because lack of camera, but I am highly interested with JBL link view. Unfortunately they are selling it only in USA and UK , official JBL site doesn't send it to parcel motel because address must be same as billing address.
    Don't want to buy from USA because VAT and custom duty, any tip where I can buy it.

So think JBL link view is similar to home hub can anyone who is using Google play music or YouTube music premium services is it working with Google assistants??

For me personally Google home hub is no buy because lack of camera, but I am highly interested with JBL link view. Unfortunately they are selling it only in USA and UK , official JBL site doesn't send it to parcel motel because address must be same as billing address.
    Don't want to buy from USA because VAT and custom duty, any tip where I can buy it.

Get yourself a Revolut card, you can set the billing address on it to the same as the Parcel Motel Address. Might allow you to get around the above restriction.

bk wrote: »
    Get yourself a Revolut card, you can set the billing address on it to the same as the Parcel Motel Address. Might allow you to get around the above restriction.

Ok that's a good idea, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Have to say I’m very tempted to get one of these to put in the bedroom to replace a Mini.

How’s everyone getting on with them now they’ve had them a couple of weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Went into Currys in Carlow today to buy one but they wanted 1100 euro for it.

adox wrote: »
    Have to say I’m very tempted to get one of these to put in the bedroom to replace a Mini.

How’s everyone getting on with them now they’ve had them a couple of weeks?

Really enjoying it. For me I use this now to monitor my 18 month old at night (with a Nest indoor cam) instead of using the phone as I had been doing. It's also handy to control the Hue bulbs and Nest thermostat. I haven't really had time to do much more with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Cazale wrote: »
    Went into Currys in Carlow today to buy one but they wanted 1100 euro for it.

For the Home Hub ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

D3V!L wrote:
    For the Home Hub ??

Yeah it was 1,099 on their system. I showed them the real price on the UK Currys website but they weren't interested in helping me. Think someone else on this thread had a similar experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Cazale wrote: »
    Yeah it was 1,099 on their system. I showed them the real price on the UK Currys website but they weren't interested in helping me. Think someone else on this thread had a similar experience.

:eek:

I found JBL link view on Littlewoods Ireland for 350 euro. I understand that Ireland is small market but that's over 50 euro more than 250 British pounds.
    On bhphotovideo it was for 200 dollars plus 31 dollars for shipping and plus 23% vat still cheaper. When will buy it will share my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

I found JBL link view on Littlewoods Ireland for 350 euro. I understand that Ireland is small market but that's over 50 euro more than 250 British pounds.
    On bhphotovideo it was for 200 dollars plus 31 dollars for shipping and plus 23% vat still cheaper. When will buy it will share my experience.

If you can hold off for another two weeks I assume it will be in black friday sale. It has been announced that in the states it is $50 off for black friday sale

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

So a couple of questions to those in the know:

Where can i buy the Home Hub ? Not on Google Irish store. Its not on PCworld or Harvey N either

Does it work - actually show video feed - from Ring Doorbell - which apparently works with 'normal' google home ? I dont believe that it does, and as Amazon apparently own Ring, maybe i need a Nest doorbell, which is a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

This is supposed to be reduced to £100 next Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dayo93

Powercity and currys have them reduced online 39 I think for the mini and 100 for the main one

Advertisement