Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home Hub

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

bk wrote: »
    The GH is fine for day to day casual music listening IMO. It isn't worth the extra 10 seconds to bother turning on the Denon etc.

Come on, if you're going to be listening to music for even just half an hour, you can't spare 10 seconds for the dramatic improvement in sound quality?

google-home-hub-vs-amazon-echo-show-2-3000x2000.jpg

Just an example of how much of a difference 7 vs 10 inches makes in terms of usability. Echo Show has the same use cases as the Home Hub.

I know which size I'd prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Depends on the room for me. The Home Hub has a much better light adaptable screen so that's for the living room for photos/etc and then a 10 inch Lenovo in the kitchen for stuff while cooking, etc. Don't need anything in the bedroom as the Pixel Stand takes care of that on a 6 inch screen.
    Nothing with Alexa or an Amazon service is ever getting into the house.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Frunchy wrote: »
    Come on, if you're going to be listening to music for even just half an hour, you can't spare 10 seconds for the dramatic improvement in sound quality?

Honestly, no, I'm just telling you my real life experience.

The GH is perfectly fine for day to day listening, you know, having music on in the background while working or cleaning up around the house (multi-room audio is great for this).

I'd only bother to use the Denon + 5.1 if I'm specifically sitting down to listen to an album like Dark Side of The Moon and can sit in the sweet spot for the speakers. But I unfortunately don't get much time for that sort of active listening any more.

Plus most of the music being produced today in the charts is rubbish quality, no point in an expensive audio setup for that, unless you are into listening to Classical, Jazz or some Classic Rock music.

Having said all that, the great thing about GH is that you have options. If you have a great pair of bookshelf speakers, then great, buy a GH mini + Chrome Cast Audio and hook them up to them, yes it will be better, no question.

And of course there is also the GH Max...

But I do think the full size GH is perfectly fine for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

I still prefer the smaller form factor.

Plus and Echo is an Echo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just an example of how much of a difference 7 vs 10 inches makes in terms of usability. Echo Show has the same use cases as the Home Hub.

Then buy the 10" Google Home Lenovo instead. Choice is great :)

I prefer the smaller size, I'm going to get one for the bedroom and I definitely don't want a massive screen or camera in their. A nice small screen on the bed side table, which isn't burning my eyes out in the morning, perfect.

I'd consider the Home Hub more a competitor to the much smaller Echo Spot for bedrooms, etc. and I think it is better there.

The competitor to the Echo Show is more the Lenovo 10", though I think the Home Hub is a nice in between for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭listermint

One looks like an 80s Slab and the other looks like its fit for purpose as a sideboard smart display.

bigger isnt always better sir.

Always think about Application...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Do we expect that £99 deal to go live at midnight or just some random point, or never to happen?

Is it worth staying up till 12 to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

jogdish wrote: »
    Do we expect that £99 deal to go live at midnight or just some random point, or never to happen?

It's already £99 on google's ebay site, see the bargain alerts thread. Picked one up myself yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Its already on their Ebay site, assume as they are the manufacturer they'll have more than enough stock.

Never knew about eBay site, I'll wait for play store hopefully not missing out

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

US Google store has the Home Hub at $99.

listermint wrote: »
    One looks like an 80s Slab and the other looks like its fit for purpose as a sideboard smart display.

bigger isnt always better sir.

Always think about Application...

I'm referring to the screen size, not the styling. 10 inch screen isn't big, but hell of a lot more useful than a 7" when trying to read info off it from the other side of the room.

The original Echo show was 7", but amazon realised there was a greater demand for a larger screen. Surprising that Google wouldn't just follow suit. They were happy enough to copy the original echo and dot.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Frunchy wrote:
    The hub's uses include displaying photo albums, weather reports etc. A bigger screen would help in these cases.

Plus a federated view of many smart items

I'm referring to the screen size, not the styling. 10 inch screen isn't big, but hell of a lot more useful than a 7" when trying to read info off it from the other side of the room.

But not everyone needs to look at a screen from across the room. If it is right beside you on the bed then 10" would be too big IMO.

Echo comes in a weird 2.5" (Spot) and 10"

Google Home comes in 7", 8" and 10", across 3 to 4 different companies.

Google are offering you far more choices.

Also I'd argue that the Home Hub is more a direct competitor to the Echo Spot. At normal price the Home Hub is only £10 more then the Spot (£120 v £130), but the Home Hub's 7" screen is WAY bigger then the spots 2.5"

The Echo Shows normal price is £220, so it's competitor would be the 10" Lenovo at £230.

I'd argue that Google have hit a nice sweet spot with the Home Hub here, much better then Amazon. £120/100 for a 7" screen is a nice compromise between the much smaller Echo Spot and some what larger, but way more expensive, Echo Show. I think Amazon are the one here that got caught out by not having a better smaller more reasonably priced option then the Spot.

Spot the Google fanboy....

Spot being able to use logic. Keep complaining about the Home Hub not being 10" all the while ignoring the 10" Lenovo! It doesn't make sense.

LOL I usually get accused of being an Apple fanboy given all the Apple products I have!! :P

BTW I've an Echo and Echo Dot too. I use iPhone/iPad/Watch and Macs and don't really like Android. I hate the whole fanboy rubbish, I use products from almost every major company, mixing and matching where I feel I see the best products/services.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

He's had and used both Amazon's and Google's smart speakers so I'd say informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Ok - so i want to pull the trigger on either a Home Hub or the Lenovo smart Display 8 - but stupid question - where can i buy them that ship here, or do i have to use Parcel Motel or similar ?

The Lenovo Irish website website doesnt have them, (does any Irish website for any of these companies actually sell their darn products), the UK one does at 129 Stg - but the only shipping option is UK. Amazon UK doesnt seem to list it.

The Home Hub isnt in bricks and mortars here, and they look at you like an alien when you ask when it will be. Google dont sell it, so again, is it the UK and Parcel Motel ?

Thanks....

• Advertisement

I just use Parcel Wizard for UK orders like this.

I also use a Revolut card with the address set to the Parcel Wizard address if there are any issues accepting an Irish credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

does the Lenovo work exactly like the native google devices?

Its £99 on the UK play store as of now, just grabbed myself a "sand" one, to my address pal address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

BailMeOut wrote: »
    does the Lenovo work exactly like the native google devices?

Yes. It even has a webcam with a hardware switch to disable it.

Its £99 on the UK play store as of now, just grabbed myself a "sand" one, to my address pal address.

I bloody ordered one last night for £139 what must have been an hour before they dropped.

Can they be sent back?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Same here, picked up the hello doorbell too as it works out cheaper from UK even without a discount

Having trouble registering my credit card on parcel motel... Must try on a laptop later

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nice to wake up to. Just ordered a chalk one.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Even better deals on the US Google store if you travel or know someone over there coming to Ireland soon.

Wanted the $99 Home Hub but couldn't pass the $25 Home Mini! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just ordered one there myself, what sort of functionality does the screen bring to the home? Can I tell it to ignore my emails for example? Like I just bought a Christmas present for the wife online and I got an email about the order to my Gmail, would she be able to see this on the Home Hub then??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Mines just been delivered to parcel motel but apparently I’m not allowed open it until Xmas morning :(

Advertisement