Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Margaret Cash steals €300 worth of clothes from Penneys and aftermath/etc!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NIMAN wrote: »
    I love the way travellers try to portray this "we really love our kids" image.

If they cared about them so much, they would ensure they go to school daily, get educated so they could try maybe getting a career and get themselves out of the trap they seem to like to keep themselves in.

Education could, in one generation, change the quality of life for so many travellers.

If they wanted it enough.

What is so bad about their current life - deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Can't believe this thread is still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can't believe this thread is still going.

You can't believe a thread that combines discussion about travellers and social welfare could stay going in after hours?

tuxy wrote: »
    You can't believe a thread that combines discussion about travellers and social welfare could stay going in after hours?

Ah tis nearly 300 pages of the same crap at this stage. We're going back over and over the same things constantly. Has anyone anything fresh to add at this point?

You know what'd be good? A 'now your talking to... Martin Collins' segment.

I'd love to see some actual travellers (not sh!tlib/Lefty apologists) come on here and explain to us why we all have it so wrong about their 'culture'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I'd love to see some actual travellers (not sh!tlib/Lefty apologists) come on here and explain to us why we all have it so wrong about their 'culture'.

It was done in AMA before.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057383006

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

john4321 wrote: »

a few difficult question were asked and suddenly every one was a racist and thread was shut down

same as any discussion with a traveller about responsibility

Here’s one https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/vee-point-why-these-7-traveller-myths-are-untrue-849182-Mar2013/%3famp=1
    SOME SEE THEM for having extravagant weddings, bare-knuckle fighting and wearing extravagant outfits but these ideas are “one-sided” and not “reflective of Travellers as a whole” says Martin Collins, assistant director of Pavee Point, an organisation aimed at improving the quality of life and living circumstances of Irish Travellers.

Here Collins tells TheJournal.ie some of the of the biggest prejudices about Travellers and explains why they are untrue.

1. Grabbing: Made popular by the television show, My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, it’s where Traveller girls are ‘grabbed’ as part of a courtship ritual, which sees boys angling for a kiss.

Busted: “That is certainly a myth and definitely not the case in the Traveller community,” says Collins. “I’m a 47-year-old Traveller man and I’ve never heard of that term before the show… It’s grossly offensive, especially against women.”

2. Travellers don’t pay taxes: This idea stems from the fact that unemployment in the Irish Traveller community was 84.3 per cent in 2011, up from 74.9 per cent five years earlier.

Busted: “We pay VAT on everything we buy, so in that sense, Travellers do pay taxes,” says Collins. “A small numbers of Travellers that are employed pay taxes. I have been working all my life and I have always paid my taxes.”

3. Tinkers’ curse: If someone does a bad deed to a Traveller then the Traveller would bestow bad luck on them. The only way it could be lifted was to give the Traveller money.

Busted: “This was a myth that was out years and years ago. It’s just a romantic idea,” says Collins. “Curses aren’t true.”

4. Marrying cousins: To this day it is still a Traveller tradition to marry a cousin but it is a custom that is changing with the times.

Busted: “Prior to having IT and Facebook, opportunities for Travellers to meet possible suitors were quite limited so marrying cousins was and still is quite common,” explains Collins. “But there are more opportunities now to meet people in other places through Facebook and the like so it’s something that we are seeing a change in.”

5. Violence: Travellers have long been associated with fighting, an idea that has grown through the many YouTube videos of Travelling men bare-knuckle boxing and settling disputes with their fists.

Busted: “Some Travellers are violent but it’s wrong to suggest that the whole community are,” says Collins. “Videos on YouTube are making it worse. It is an element in the community but not representative of Travellers as a whole.”

6. Travellers don’t want to work: With over 84 per cent of the Travelling community in Ireland unemployed, there are ideas that Travellers don’t want to take up employment. This idea is one that Collins vehemently denies.

Busted: “I know Travellers who are actively seeking work but they are discriminated against and people don’t want to hire them when they find out they’re Travellers,” says Collins. “Even in the show ‘My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding’, we saw grooms hiding their identities so they wouldn’t lose work, one of the only parts of the show that were true.”

My personal fave is No2

Haha thanks. I'll enjoy this

I'm really liking the way everything is "Busted" just because Martin says so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Lets see

1. In a previous life i worked doors. on two occasions I worked at traveller weddings and saw first hand that grabbing does occur

2. Incredible stupid statement Every Peron who buys anything in Ireland pays Vat. the fact that travellers dont contribute to the tax pot the to anywhere near the extent that the benefit is the point

3. Again first hand I saw a female traveller in her own words put a "tinkers course " on a garda who had arrested her son and refused to release him. she dies a few years later and the young lad killed two people in a crash and ran away to england. garda was fine last I heard

4. Seems to be suggesting that "travellers" dont get the chance to meet people out side thier family groups . Travellers who dont travel ? but i dont really care who the marry

5. Self appointed traveller spokesman and twitter retard john connors can be found on youtube video bare fist fighting , every news source on ever day proves that this point is true

6. I remmber talking to a traveller at a horse fair about two years ago who claimed that he paid a fortune in tax. he did driveways and offered cleaning services . about 6 months after that he was raided by CAB and large amounts of cash and property seized. he is now in sweeden.

Why did they allow these lies to be put on their website

That thread is really all anyone needs to see, as to why relations are strained between the two communities.

Settled apologist: Are travellers, in your opinion, discriminated against?

Traveller girl: Yes actually. Happened last week.

Normal everyday working settled person: How generally do travellers earn an income given they move around so much?

Traveller girl: that's a complete misrepresentation boss

Mod: Thread locked.

Haha thanks. I'll enjoy this

I dont think you will to be honest. A lot of questions asked and a lot avoided or vague answers given. For example

Hi Traveller Girl, fair play to you for coming on here, it is giving real insight on your community. It's very easy miss one question out of all the ones put to you but can I ask again how, generally, do most travellers earn an income?

I don't know because I don't ask. Thats private business

I dont think you will to be honest. A lot of questions asked and a lot avoided or vague answers given. For example

Hi Traveller Girl, fair play to you for coming on here, it is giving real insight on your community. It's very easy miss one question out of all the ones put to you but can I ask again how, generally, do most travellers earn an income?

I don't know because I don't ask. Thats private business

Yep I noticed. Same sh!t the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Normal everyday working settled person: How generally do travellers earn an income given they move around so much?

Slightly wrong, if she is to to be believed it is the height of ignorance amongst travellers to ask another person what their employment status is.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Lets see

1. In a previous life i worked doors. on two occasions I worked at traveller weddings and saw first hand that grabbing does occur

2. Incredible stupid statement Every Peron who buys anything in Ireland pays Vat. the fact that travellers dont contribute to the tax pot the to anywhere near the extent that the benefit is the point

3. Again first hand I saw a female traveller in her own words put a "tinkers course " on a garda who had arrested her son and refused to release him. she dies a few years later and the young lad killed two people in a crash and ran away to england. garda was fine last I heard

4. Seems to be suggesting that "travellers" dont get the chance to meet people out side thier family groups . Travellers who dont travel ? but i dont really care who the marry

5. Self appointed traveller spokesman and twitter retard john connors can be found on youtube video bare fist fighting , every news source on ever day proves that this point is true

6. I remmber talking to a traveller at a horse fair about two years ago who claimed that he paid a fortune in tax. he did driveways and offered cleaning services . about 6 months after that he was raided by CAB and large amounts of cash and property seized. he is now in sweeden.

Why did they allow these lies to be put on their website

I don't get why everything is 'Busted' just because that twat says so.

Jesus if this who their spokesman is they have big problems. Well, at least in a normal society they'd have problems. Our sh!tlib/Lefty twat establishment will make sure the rest of us subsidise them regardless.

Slightly wrong, if she is to to be believed it is the height of ignorance amongst travellers to ask another person what their employment status is.

Constant deflection and whatabouttery. They wonder then why there's problems.

Yep I noticed. Same sh!t the whole time.

That thread is over 3 years old but nothing seems to have changed. Not trying to put anyone down or anything like that just the conversations have not evolved. I think the poster gave some very honest answers.

For example:

Why no interest in a settled person?

"Because a settled man could leave you at anytime and no other man in the traveller community would look at you."

Why do traveller girls wear revealing clothes?

"Travellers are very religious people, they are nothing without their faith. But the only way girls can express theirselvesis by wwearing these clothes. I don't like too much skin on show myself."

What is your view on how women are treated within the travelling community? Do you see it as oppressive? And if so how would you raise any daughter of yours differently?

"Women don't have the same right as men and I hope that when I have a daughter of age it will all change. And her opinion counts"

Are travellers represented by tds? would travellers vote? What is the community's relationship with the guards and healthcare like?

"I dont think so. I don't vote. The guards will not help you at all."

You said you wanted children on the other thread. Is there a a maximum you'd like? Would this differ from the size of your parents family?

"I want six myself but if I have more Iwould be happy. My parents only had 4 kids and my partner has nine siblings."

Have you ever met someone who married their cousin? If so, was the topic of genetic issues raised?

"Yes an awful lot of my cousins are related and married. No their children was born perfectly healthy."

Your writing is very clear and coherent, do you mind me asking what level of education did you receive (up to junior cert, leaving cert etc.)? In your opinion is it difficult for travellers to stay in school past a certain level or age?

"I only went as far as first year but I then attended yyouthreachfrom tthe age of 17 to 19. I was always good at school a proper scholar haha."

What do you think stops the well behaved travellers from reporting the criminal element among the community. I feel this would go a good way towards increasing acceptance that not all travellers are criminals.?

"Because you don't want to get involved in other peoples business. There would be very big feuds if that happened."

There is a bit of see See No Evil, Hear No Evil in the replies .

That thread is over 3 years old but nothing seems to have changed. Not trying to put anyone down or anything like that just the conversations have not evolved. I think the poster gave some very honest answers.

For example:

Why no interest in a settled person?

"Because a settled man could leave you at anytime and no other man in the traveller community would look at you."

Why do traveller girls wear revealing clothes?

"Travellers are very religious people, they are nothing without their faith. But the only way girls can express theirselvesis by wwearing these clothes. I don't like too much skin on show myself."

What is your view on how women are treated within the travelling community? Do you see it as oppressive? And if so how would you raise any daughter of yours differently?

"Women don't have the same right as men and I hope that when I have a daughter of age it will all change. And her opinion counts"

Are travellers represented by tds? would travellers vote? What is the community's relationship with the guards and healthcare like?

"I dont think so. I don't vote. The guards will not help you at all."

You said you wanted children on the other thread. Is there a a maximum you'd like? Would this differ from the size of your parents family?

"I want six myself but if I have more Iwould be happy. My parents only had 4 kids and my partner has nine siblings."

Have you ever met someone who married their cousin? If so, was the topic of genetic issues raised?

"Yes an awful lot of my cousins are related and married. No their children was born perfectly healthy."

Your writing is very clear and coherent, do you mind me asking what level of education did you receive (up to junior cert, leaving cert etc.)? In your opinion is it difficult for travellers to stay in school past a certain level or age?

"I only went as far as first year but I then attended yyouthreachfrom tthe age of 17 to 19. I was always good at school a proper scholar haha."

What do you think stops the well behaved travellers from reporting the criminal element among the community. I feel this would go a good way towards increasing acceptance that not all travellers are criminals.?

"Because you don't want to get involved in other peoples business. There would be very big feuds if that happened."

There is a bit of see See No Evil, Hear No Evil in the replies .

That's what the whole thing boils down to. There's no openness or or transparency.

My one and only gripe, is that I have to pay for their culture. Everything she says I couldn't care less about. They want to do all that crap, fine. Let them off I say.

Pay for their culture themselves and it dies off in a generation or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That thread is really all anyone needs to see, as to why relations are strained between the two communities.

Settled apologist: Are travellers, in your opinion, discriminated against?

Traveller girl: Yes actually. Happened last week.

To be honest, I wasn’t surprised when I read who locked the thread, and who actually dictated what could and couldn’t be asked in an ask me anything thread. Boards has been much improved with the appointment of a new community manager. She is doing a good job and is genuinely approachable. It would be interesting to see that AMA now.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I wasn’t surprised when I read who locked the thread, and who actually dictated what could and couldn’t be asked in an ask me anything thread. Boards has been much improved with the appointment of a new community manager. She is doing a good job and is genuinely approachable. It would be interesting to see that AMA now.

It's a complete joke and the sole reason this crap festers between us and them.

Either we can discuss everything openly and honesty or let's just forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Busted: “We pay VAT on everything we buy, so in that sense, Travellers do pay taxes,” says Collins.

:eek:
    I stand up in the shower so, in that sense, I can walk on water.

“Even in the show ‘My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding’, we saw grooms hiding their identities so they wouldn’t lose work, one of the only parts of the show that were true.”

What nonsense. It was because they didn't want to be identified, yes. Why did they not want to be identified? Well, I wouldn't like to speculate.

Glad to see the thread still going. Sure, it can be like beating your head off a wall at times but its pretty interesting, mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"I now live in a caravan beside a house.

No its my in laws house I live in a caravan beside it.

I want six myself but if I have more Iwould be happy.

This goes to the Travellers who have it - please give me some of it haha. I don't know where they get it but not all Travellers are rich. I'm one who ain't and I'm happy as I am."

Living in a caravan next to a relations house
    Didn’t answer questions about if herself or the fiancé worked
    Isn’t a rich traveller yet wanted 6+ kids with no way of paying for them bar the taxpayer
    Same attitude as Margaret really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Same attitude as Margaret really

She's made herself the poster-girl but she's certainly not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No4 on the consanguineous marriages is a load of pony too. I work with Travellers (well not with them) and there's a lady that comes in to see them and she's lovely and well meaning and kind. Anyway, she brings in a quarterly magazine aimed solely at the Travelling community. In one of the editions is an article about young Travellers getting married. It was done in simple enough bullet points and went something like this
      You will need your and your spouses PPS number
      You will need to have €500 to register your marriage
      If you are marrying your first cousin, 6 months notice and special dispensation from the church is required.

Busted indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

mynamejeff wrote: »
    5. Self appointed traveller spokesman and twitter retard john connors

Close the thread, we've peaked.

That def is harsh alright

Think it needs to be rephrased

Omackeral wrote: »
    No4 on the consanguineous marriages is a load of pony too. I work with Travellers (well not with them) and there's a lady that comes in to see them and she's lovely and well meaning and kind. Anyway, she brings in a quarterly magazine aimed solely at the Travelling community. In one of the editions is an article about young Travellers getting married. It was done in simple enough bullet points and went something like this
      You will need your and your spouses PPS number
      You will need to have €500 to register your marriage
      If you are marrying your first cousin, 6 months notice and special dispensation from the church is required.

Busted indeed.

He didn't do a good job of 'busting' that 'myth'

The comments under that article are funny

"It should read “6 Traveller myths proven as true by Pavee point”

I do have to laugh that paying VAT which nobody has any say in is seen as paying their taxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I do have to laugh that paying VAT which nobody has any say in is seen as paying their taxes

That's such a ridiculous argument. Margaret Cash gets around €52k from the state every year, despite never having worked a day in her life. It's utterly absurd to try to describe her as a "taxpayer."

Whatever spin Pavee Point tries to put on this, the majority of Travellers are not net contributors to society. They demonstrably take far more than they give. And their "traditions" of early school leaving and early marriage ensure only that they will continue to be unemployable and to have far more kids that they can support. They are making no effort to change.

• Advertisement

That's such a ridiculous argument. Margaret Cash gets around €52k from the state every year, despite never having worked a day in her life. It's utterly absurd to try to describe her as a "taxpayer."

Whatever spin Pavee Point tries to put on this, the majority of Travellers are not net contributors to society. They demonstrably take far more than they give. And their "traditions" of early school leaving and early marriage ensure only that they will continue to be unemployable and to have far more kids that they can support. They are making no effort to change.

It's too lucrative for them. Take the financial incentives of being a Traveller away and the charade stops in a generation or 2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement