Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a professional photographer

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Inside each of those is a folder whose name is just a date (month-day-year). Month goes in first, as if you put the date first, windows will sort by name and mess it all up). So I have folders called "02-01-2010" (1st of february) and "04-05-2015" (5th of April).

I find it helps me swiftly get through things. If you've already got a lot of photos taken, having to enter the file descriptions will be very time consuming, so just sorting by a rough date will help more (and you can add tags as you go forward, for future use).

My OCD hates that. YMD makes a lot more sense unless you're American. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have a question about printing large size photo prints from a scanned file.

I am looking to print up to size 44 x 37 cms. This size is required to replace a photo already mounted in a specific frame. I am scanning from a smaller print of the photo to replace a badly sun damaged larger print.

Can you point me in the direction of somewhere that would be able to print to that size on photo paper?

Regards and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ED E wrote: »
    My OCD hates that. YMD makes a lot more sense unless you're American. :pac:
    My inner database designer hates that.

If there is a 'date' attribute on the folder, then use that for date. Don't build date into a different field - folder name in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My inner database designer hates that.

If there is a 'date' attribute on the folder, then use that for date. Don't build date into a different field - folder name in this case.

Well its still there is you want it. It doesn't get removed or anything.

The date attribute might be when you loaded up or created the folder. It might not be when the event was. So I might might upload Xmas events in January Besides which the date attribute is still there if you want to use it.

Date format YYYYMMDD makes most sense as the dates order alphabetically then.

20151117 Launch Party
    20181117 Birthday Party
    20181118 Mondello Event

You can still use tags, etc. Tags work differently in different applications. So the folder names is a fall back. Especially handy if you use other software for backing up and archival that isn't tag aware.

Everyone seems to use their own though. I find people who haven't thought about it, are those who can never find anything. Or it takes them an age.

Those who use tags exclusively often can't remember how they tagged them. Did I call it Marys 80th, or Big Birthday.

beauf wrote: »
    Well its still there is you want it. It doesn't get removed or anything.

The date attribute might be when you loaded up or created the folder. It might not be when the event was. So I might might upload Xmas events in January Besides which the date attribute is still there if you want to use it.

Date format YYYYMMDD makes most sense as the dates order alphabetically then.

20151117 Launch Party
    20181117 Birthday Party
    20181118 Mondello Event

You can still use tags, etc. Tags work differently in different applications. So the folder names is a fall back. Especially handy if you use other software for backing up and archival that isn't tag aware.

Everyone seems to use their own though. I find people who haven't thought about it, are those who can never find anything. Or it takes them an age.

Those who use tags exclusively often can't remember how they tagged them. Did I call it Marys 80th, or Big Birthday.
    A Windows folder has multiple date attributes - date taken, date acquired, date created, date modified

Why not use these as the designer intended, and use folder names for descriptions, as the designer intended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A Windows folder has multiple date attributes - date taken, date acquired, date created, date modified

Why not use these as the designer intended, and use folder names for descriptions, as the designer intended?

Nope.

You're missing the photog side of things. Makeyuppyexample:
    Go to Galway for a long weekend. Shoot a friends birthday Friday night. Go for a hike Saturday. Sunday is a gig. Monday go visit a church or something.

Tuesday, import all. Divvy into folders for days. All will have the same timedate stamp despite being for four days. Yes you can use date acquired say but how does that transfer to EXT7 when you leave windows behind in future.

Sort the files by EXIF, the OPs directory system is near perfect.

ED E wrote: »
    Nope.

You're missing the photog side of things. Makeyuppyexample:
    Go to Galway for a long weekend. Shoot a friends birthday Friday night. Go for a hike Saturday. Sunday is a gig. Monday go visit a church or something.

Tuesday, import all. Divvy into folders for days. All will have the same timedate stamp despite being for four days. Yes you can use date acquired say but how does that transfer to EXT7 when you leave windows behind in future.

Sort the files by EXIF, the OPs directory system is near perfect.

Every photo has "date taken" within the metadata. So you don't need to manually divvy up by day. Just sort by date taken.

I've no idea what EXT7 is, apart from a prominent brand of hand dryer.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Dryer-ExtremeAir-EXT7-High-Speed/dp/B005H0IMYY

But if it doesn't accommodate photo metadata, it wouldn't be a great upgrade path.

They get changed. I don't find them very reliable myself. Especially copying on different drives or systems. But they are there anyway. You don't lose them.
    Also you have to turn on those either for all folders or for the folder type in Windows.
    Its just more concise to have it all in one attribute.
    If you are database guy I assume you are used to using aliases, and combining columns to show information in a more compact view.

Anyway people can do it anyway they want. If it works for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

All gobbledygook to me, as I can state for a FACT: most snappers use Mac.

• Company Representative Posts: 44 Verified rep I'm a Professional Photographer, AMA

decky1 wrote: »
    bought a Pentax K.r some time ago , bit over my head to be honest, just wanted something with a better zoom than the one i had ---have noticed in the last week the photo's are blurred,any tips?

Kind of hard to tell, could be anything really that could lead to blurry photos.

My instinct is to suggest you keep an eye on the shutter speed on the camera (the more you zoom, the more likely you are to shake/move the camera (or at least, the more you zoom, the more obvious each little twitch of the camera is).

A faster shutter speed will hopefully get rid of that issue.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    All gobbledygook to me, as I can state for a FACT: most snappers use Mac.

Very true.

• Company Representative Posts: 44 Verified rep I'm a Professional Photographer, AMA

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I have a question about printing large size photo prints from a scanned file.

I am looking to print up to size 44 x 37 cms. This size is required to replace a photo already mounted in a specific frame. I am scanning from a smaller print of the photo to replace a badly sun damaged larger print.

Can you point me in the direction of somewhere that would be able to print to that size on photo paper?

Regards and thanks.

That's roughly 18x15 inches (I know, 'inches' are ye olde way of measuring things, but I still use them). That's not too big a size for most shops to handle.

If you wanted a bit more certainty, you could scan the photos and then use a website, like Photobox. This would allow you to get a visual representation of that the final image may look like (in terms of the crop).

If you have no editing software on your computer, check out getpaint.net. It's a free image editing software, that's very easy to use. What you want to do is load in your scanned photo, and use the image resize tool to put it to your desired size (in this case, 44x37cm). Then, go to the likes of Photobox.ie (an online photo printing service), and find the nearest larger photo size, which i believe is 50x67cm).

In paint.net, go to 'change canvas size' and enter 50x67cm. This will leave you with your photo, with a large white border around it. Order this. When it arrives, use scissors to cut the border off, and you have your photo printed perfectly to fit the frame.

I know it sounds complicated, when it's described as above, but it's only a few minutes and shouldn't be very tricky at all. :)

In relation to the naming of folders, whilst I am aware of the other options available, I find naming the folder itself just makes life a little easier, naming and sorting things a little quicker, and when it comes to finding photos, I can do it fairly swiftly.

If you come looking for a photo, and you have the date, then that's great. I can get it in a matter of seconds. If you only have the name of the person in the photo, and his name is a common name, then I can at least narrow it down. If the name is an unusual name, then it's usually easy to find (the hard part here is just making sure you get the person's name right when you're writing it down).

Everyone just has their own ways about doing things. For example, I attend events with a pen and paper, whereas a lot of photographers use the microphone and speak into the camera to record names. Both have their merits, but my, perhaps dated approach, makes things easier for me.

If someone was working with me, it'd probably drive them mad having to look at me doing things the way I do them, and I'd probably be the same with them doing things their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Kind of hard to tell, could be anything really that could lead to blurry photos.

My instinct is to suggest you keep an eye on the shutter speed on the camera (the more you zoom, the more likely you are to shake/move the camera (or at least, the more you zoom, the more obvious each little twitch of the camera is).

A faster shutter speed will hopefully get rid of that issue.

will do , Thanks.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Are there any tips you could give to people who don't photograph well?

Are there any tips you could give to people who don't photograph well?

Depends a lot on the reason you feel you don't photograph well.

Obvious as it may sound, looking at yourself in a mirror is often a helpful thing to do. Flexing the shoulders up and sucking the belly in, or pressing your tongue against the roof of your mouth to lift you chin, etc.

It can always help to remove your elbows from your body, too, if weight is your concern. If you create a gap between your torso and your elbow/arm, it can make you look slender.

If you're putting your hands on your hips, instead of having them right at the sides of your body, but them in a "10 o clock and 2 o clock" position, and, your waistline will look thinner (as your hands are closer together).

If you've a big nose, try to tilt your head slightly down to make it smaller looking. If you've a big chin then slightly (just slightly) push your head forward from your shoulders to help stretch it out a bit.

If you're a woman, don't stand balanced perfectly on your hips. Let them fall to one side and rest on one. Can also use this to push your ass out if you want it to look bigger.

If you want to enhance cleavage, without making it to obvious, pose with your hands in front of you, and use one hand to cup/hold the wrist on the other arm. Your arms are now in front of you and you can use your upper arms to do a light 'squeeze' to enhance your bust/cleavage.

Unless you've a large belly or ass that you're trying to hide, it's always best to stand at a 45 degree angle to the camera (as you can look a little 'flat' is you stand straight-on).

If you wear glasses, and someone is taking your photo using flash, ask them how it looks, as often glasses can reflect the flash and you just have whited-out eyes. Generally fixed by simply turning your head in any direction, just ever so slightly, so the glasses aren't facing directly towards the camera (you can still make eye contact).

If you're a man and getting photographed and feel like a bit of a tit and don't know what to do, just go with the old wedding classic - one hand in the pocket, thumb out, and the other hand loose by your side. Can be cheesy, but it's quick, easy, and works.

If you're a woman and your sitting, legs visible, push your knees together, and push your ankles apart. Now push one knee into the other one, so one is slightly raised higher than the other, rest your hands on your thighs, one hand higher up the thigh than the other.

Lots of silly little tips that can make you a tad more photogenic, but you'll find you'll always be hard on yourself when you see yourself in a photograph. It's just human nature, really.

My experience is that some people love photographs of themselves, but the vast majority of people are quick to put themselves down (even if they look great in the photo).

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Is digital the only medium you work in, or have you ever ventured into film photography?

Very interesting thread, thanks!

Conchir wrote: »
    Is digital the only medium you work in, or have you ever ventured into film photography?

Have been involved in film photography in the sense that I used film cameras, but I never did the whole dark room thing, or developed my own photos.

Digital had well and truly kicked off and been accessible by the time I started to develop a serious interest in photography, so although I understand the merits of film photography, it's not something that directly interests me.

I could happily talk to someone about film photography and find it interesting, but if they invited me over to their dark room to develop a few prints, I'd start making my excuses to leave the conversation.

I'm not sure why that is, but I'd view it as a chore. It just never jumped out at me as something I'd like to do, unless it was unavoidable.
    Conchir wrote: »
    Very interesting thread, thanks!

Thank you.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I didn't realise I hadn't closed this one before, I'm closing it now!

Thanks for all of the questions and to our photographer guest for really interesting answers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement