Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green book

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It looks very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Excellent film. Mortensen and Ali are both on top form and interact very well together. The script is solid. The Director's comedy background in films like Dumb and Dumber gives him an extremely deft touch and keeps the laughs coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Saw it for the second time (was a mystery screening before) and enjoyed it again. Good movie, but perhaps not that accurate: https://shadowandact.com/the-real-donald-shirley-green-book-hollywood-swallowed-whole?fbclid=IwAR13jsAA8hz9wvyBZQtPu4CSut25OlO4jRLMwnBqx0rPuNC-SLoRydJoIXs

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Saw it for the second time (was a mystery screening before) and enjoyed it again. Good movie, but perhaps not that accurate: https://shadowandact.com/the-real-donald-shirley-green-book-hollywood-swallowed-whole?fbclid=IwAR13jsAA8hz9wvyBZQtPu4CSut25OlO4jRLMwnBqx0rPuNC-SLoRydJoIXs

One wonders do the family of Dr Shirley protest too much? A Vanityfair article has the author saying he has heard an audio clip from an unrelated 3rd parties documentary (Lost Bohemia) which includes some interviews with Dr Shirley.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/01/green-book-director-peter-farrelly-defends-movie-against-criticism

"audio clip from Lost Bohemia in which Shirley says: “I trusted [Vallelonga] implicitly. See, Tony got to be, not only was he my driver, we never had an employer-employee relationship. We didn’t have time for that. My life was in this man’s hands. Do you understand me? So we got to be friendly with one another. I taught him things because he couldn’t talk, he was one of those Lower East Side Italians who had jowls like a bulldog.” "

Undoubtedly there are liberties taken, it IS a Hollywood film after all but the furore the family are kicking up seems suspicious to me.

I enjoyed it quite a bit though so maybe I'm just biased :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it this evening, and I thought it was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Watched this over the weekend,thought it was very good,Viggo was brilliant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Seen this on Saturday and really enjoyed it.

Excellent performances by both leads.

What blew my mind afterwards when looking up the history on the characters is that the real life Tony Lip played Carmine Lupertazzi Sr, the New York mob boss in The Sopranos!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

I liked this movie! Definitely worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

In one scene, one member of Tony's family called the Doc "tootsoon", an Italian slang word for the "n word" and it really means "burnt chestnut". About 30 secs later, Tony opens the door, sees the Doc and the music goes on "chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Watch this last night.

A joy from start to finish. Always a big Viggo fan anyway. This was just a wonderful character piece. Hope it does well at the Oscars tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hoping this wins best picture tonight. The Twitter brigade would be up in arms, but it'd be worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hoping this wins best picture tonight. The Twitter brigade would be up in arms, but it'd be worth it :)

Well it did win

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Well it did win

Delighted! And Twitter responded accordingly :pac::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Great movie I watched it on Saturday really enjoyed it ,
    Some fantastic acting ,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Film tells a simple story set in unpleasant recent period, has racial overtones, good acting and likeable characters. Sounds like an Oscar winner to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I've a question on the end: Did missing that one last gig in Birmingham mean that they broke the contract and are not going to get paid a significant chunk of the fee for the whole tour, or were they just missing out on the small portion for that particular gig?

I understood it to mean the former: Tony passed up on the second half of his pay for the whole tour by siding with Dr Shirley.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think if they sticked to the agreement, technically Tony missed out on half his pay.

The whole point of the arrangement was to make sure Tony got Dr Shirley to the gigs on time though, which he did. If Dr Shirley was the one paying Tony, I can't imagine he withheld half of Tonys pay given the circumstances!

woodchuck wrote: »
    I think if they sticked to the agreement, technically Tony missed out on half his pay.

The whole point of the arrangement was to make sure Tony got Dr Shirley to the gigs on time though, which he did. If Dr Shirley was the one paying Tony, I can't imagine he withheld half of Tonys pay given the circumstances!

Technically the "record company", as they were referred to in the film, was paying Tony and it was implied that they were paying Dr Shirley too.

It was a time when record companies had much more power over their artists and ownership rights of their art. For example there are notorious examples of Blues artists signing over song rights that made millions in exchange for a small flat fee and a cadillac.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Fair point.

But given how well off Dr Shirley seemed to be, I can't imagine he let Tony go short. Pure speculation on my part though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

God that was a great movie. Haven’t enjoyed a flick in that way in sometime. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think someone said it earlier but couldn't believe the real Tony Lip played Carmine in Soprano's what a crazy life he had ,

Great movie best iv seen in ages,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

woodchuck wrote: »
    Fair point.

But given how well off Dr Shirley seemed to be, I can't imagine he let Tony go short. Pure speculation on my part though!
    Apparently the real guy fired him and pretty much every other driver he had. But there's no film in that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Drumpot wrote: »
    God that was a great movie. Haven’t enjoyed a flick in that way in sometime. Loved it.

100% agree went in not knowing what to expect but I was thoroughly entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Looks like I'm the first person in this thread that didn't really like it that much. The sort of film that would have been very progressive had it been released 15 years ago but now it seems antiquated.

Looking at the writing credits; three 60 year old white guys writing dialogue about how all black people eat fried chicken etc... seemed a bit off to me. The whole thing felt like white people patting themselves on the back for not being racist anymore. I can see why some critics see this as a misjudged, self congratulatory piece of crap. Although I personally wouldn't go that far.

Not awful by any means and the performances were very strong. But I just find myself thinking; "Really? This?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

Good movie alright.
    Music was good too and it actually looked like he was playing the piano which is rare for actors (except for Clint Eastwood and Jeoff Goldblum).

Considering the amount of cack I watched through covid this was a welcome break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Treppen wrote: »
    Music was good too and it actually looked like he was playing the piano

The superimposition of Mahershala Ali's head on to the original piano player was really ropey, though. Their body movements just weren't in sync at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

Relikk wrote: »
    The superimposition of Mahershala Ali's head on to the original piano player was really ropey, though. Their body movements just weren't in sync at all.

So that's how they did it! I was too busy seeing if the hands were in sync

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks to be on RTE 1 tonight

• Advertisement
Advertisement