Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

pjohnson wrote: »
    That Dicktum lad is apparently making arsé out of himself in an Asian series as he tries to get those last super license points he needs to get into F1. He ggot penalised for overtaking under Safety Car again. Supposedly the FIA doesnt even allow this series count but made a rule change so it would but hes apparently blown that chance now aswell!

Dan Ticktum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

elperello wrote: »
    Dan Ticktum
    I think the 'Dicktum' name is in reference to his carry on, he has been known to act like a d1ckhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think the 'Dicktum' name is in reference to his carry on, he has been known to act like a d1ckhead.

Well I never an immature 19 year old :)
    Give him a chance, at least wait until he gets into F1 , if ever.

He is tainted by what happened with Ricky Collard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP_OD2M1exw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Normally I would agree with you, but I've seen enough of Ticktum to know I would rather he doesn't get to F1. He's arrogant and petulant, (admittedly many drivers have the same flaws) but that safety car incident from a few years ago was completely unacceptable, I still think he should have been banned for more than a year. There are plenty of quality drivers who don't play fast and loose with other people's safety deserving of a chance in F1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Given he has repeatedly shown he doesnt understand a safety car better for everyone he doesn't get near F1. Let him join Ferrucci in doing whatever he wants crashing around the place. Theres immature and there is reckless. Himself and Ferrucci shouldn't be let race any vehicle given their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Very insistent rumors in the Italian press claim the Sauber team will be renamed "Alfa Romeo Racing" for the 2019 season, suggesting a complete takeover from the FCA group; Maurizio Arrivabene's name is also been linked to a management role at the team.

The operation is allegedly going to be announced at or near the reveal of the next season challenger in Fiorano, on February 14th.

DISCLAIMER - I have no idea how substantiated these rumors are, could be total bullsh1t, yet worth mentioning as more than one specialized Italian news outlet have been running the story since January 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The traits he's shown don't belong on a race track, there's immaturity and there's scummy behavior

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Launch dates so far this year:

12th of February: Renault.

13th of February: Racing Point.

14th of February: McLaren.

15th of February: Ferrari.

18th of February: Sauber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The first race is 55 days away and is on St. Patrick's Day, 17th March.

Thankfully Six Nations rugby, some F1 car launch dates, testing and a few formula e races will fill the void until then.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

astrofluff wrote: »
    The first race is 55 days away and is on St. Patrick's Day, 17th March.

Thankfully Six Nations rugby, some F1 car launch dates, testing and a few formula e races will fill the void until then.

I'm toying with pre-season testing, friend of mine has already booked. Anybody ever headed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Ot : Sophie Floersch after surviving the Macau horror crash plans to be back in the car in two months time.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/8252707/sophia-floersch-piers-morgan-susanna-reid/

Toro Rosso: 11th of February.

11th of February: Toro Rosso.

Car launches five days in a row, woohoo!

Launch dates are drawing nearer and I'm starting to get excited :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Toro Rosso: 11th of February.

11th of February: Toro Rosso.

Car launches five days in a row, woohoo!

Launch dates are drawing nearer and I'm starting to get excited :cool:

Noticed Red Bull have not announced there car launch date yet. Maybe they will be the 10th of February. You would think with Red Bull being the bigger of them two teams that they should be able to have there car ready before Toro Rosso.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Anybody fancy having a guess as to how Kubica will do?

Anybody fancy having a guess as to how Kubica will do?

All things considered, I expect Russell will get the better of him over the season

skipper_G wrote: »
    All things considered, I expect Russell will get the better of him over the season

You reckon the injury aside the Kubica of old is long gone? I'd be intrigued as to how he will do on the tight twisty circuits

You reckon the injury aside the Kubica of old is long gone? I'd be intrigued as to how he will do on the tight twisty circuits

Yep even with the Injury aside, he's not been on the grid since 2010 and hasn't competed in track based racing of any real substance. He's up against a young rookie fresh off the back of success in multiple categories and who has the potential to be very successful in F1. I'm not a fan of Russell per sé, but he's talented and I just think Kubica will have lost a step too much in absolute pace.

Regardless, it should be a really tasty teammate battle all the same! One of many, Leclerc V Vettel, Perez V Stroll and Sainz V Norris. I think it could be a really good season, or maybe I'm stupidly optimistic again

The ingredients are there for a tasty season alright, but, if reliability plagues any one of those teams, it'll ruin the entertainment aspect of the teammate battles.

astrofluff wrote: »
    The ingredients are there for a tasty season alright, but, if reliability plagues any one of those teams, it'll ruin the entertainment aspect of the teammate battles.

We need unreliability across the board, that’s what made it interesting, these near bulletproof cars are killing the spectacle

• Advertisement

Oh, don't get me wrong, provided the unreliability is still there but only applicable to Mercedes :D

AMKC wrote: »
    Noticed Red Bull have not announced there car launch date yet.

Only four more teams have to announce launch dates. They are Mercedes, Red Bull, Williams and Haas. Hopefully we get some more dates soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

When is the first day of testing?

flazio wrote: »
    When is the first day of testing?

18th of February at Catalunya.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    18th of February at Catalunya.

Thank you, I reckon that's going to be the Red Bull launch day.

Not F1, but this is a really interesting insight into Zanardi's racing setup at Daytona:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/01/25/sports/alex-zanardi.html

Alonso is leading the race atm, eight more hours to go
    https://imsatv.imsa.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Just over 7 to go now, last hour behind safety car due to level of rain. Alonso is in a class of his own in the wet.

Red flag still out, pretty wet out there.

• Advertisement

Behind safety car, still raining. Four hours to go. Alonso on the lead lap and 2nd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement