Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Umbrella Academy [Netflix] [**SPOILERS**]

• 09-12-2018 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭

the-umbrella-academy-season-1-poster.jpg?w=620&h=918

Based on the acclaimed Dark Horse comics series by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba, The Umbrella Academy follows an estranged family of superheroes that investigate the suspicious death of their father Reginald Hargreeves who had adopted the wayward orphans as part of his titular academy to hone their powers and save the world. As they work together to find out the truth behind their wealthy benefactor’s death, the group begins to unravel due to their divergent personalities and hard to control abilities.

Arriving on Netflix Feb. 18, 2019, The Umbrella Academy stars Ellen Page, Mary J. Blige, Tom Hopper, Cameron Britton, Robert Sheehan, Emmy Raver-Lampman, Adam Godley, Aidan Gallagher, David Castañeda, John Magaro, Ashley Madekwe and Colm Feore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Robert Sheehan in a team of dysfunctional supers, sounds familiar ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like it might be demented fun; honestly I'd never heard of the comic before so am curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still looks intriguing, and equally messed up. One thing in Netflix's favour, they don't mess about in regards the time between trailers & broadcast.

This was released this morning (10 episodes). Obviously not a huge deal of interest, given I'm 50% of the posts here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Looks like it could be interesting, watch the first couple of episodes and then tell us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Never read the comics but heard they're good. May check it out.
    Like I was saying elsewhere, I used to try and watch all the comic shows but too many now. I dropped Legion and The Gifted. Haven't tried Deadly Class yet. Will check out Doom Patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Watched the first episode, very good so far. Looks like a lot of fun and more expensively made than any of the CW superhero shows. Sheehan basically playing Nathan again but he is so darn good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Never read the comics but heard they're good. May check it out.
    Like I was saying elsewhere, I used to try and watch all the comic shows but too many now. I dropped Legion and The Gifted. Haven't tried Deadly Class yet. Will check out Doom Patrol.

Gave up on Deadly Class after 3 episodes, bored me to death. Just seems no point to the show

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Watching the first, entertaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A couple of episodes into it loving the sound track.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's kinda reminiscent of Guillermo Del Toro's "Hellboy" films and Wes Anderson

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A couple of episodes into it loving the sound track.

Any My Chemical Romance :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished it there. It was... okay... I mean, it wasn't fantastic, it had some really great bits in it and some good bits. But it also had a lot of crap bits, and was pretty predictable overall
    I copped from either the first or second episode Vanya had powers, the pills she was taking were suppressing them and she would be the cause of the apocalypse

But it was done pretty well overall, with some decent enough performances and a great soundtrack. It has potential for a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The "I think we're alone now" scene was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Five episodes in, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

pjohnson wrote: »
    The "I think we're alone now" scene was great!

Yeah some scenes really done well to music. Like Istanbul in the Donut shop.
    Or even the opening Phantom of the Opera medley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I've only watched two episodes and whilst I'm enjoying it, I really don't feel there's much plot. There's some mystery surrounding the dad's death and supposedly the world is going to end in a week but no one really seems to care. There are also some interesting ideas that aren't really explored like Klaus and Ben. I'll finish it but I hope it becomes a lot more cohesive.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I'm 3 eps in and I'm loving it.
    Yes it's a bit of a stretch, and yes it's not exactly Kubrick or Ford, but it is great fun and the soundtrack is so well done. It is a bit Tarantino does Deadpool....which can't be such a bad thing in my opinion !

Looking forward to seeing more eps, which is always a good barometer for a new show.

The kid who plays the character 5 is nailing it and Robert Sheehan is always worth the entrance fee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

for a show set in 2019 there is a severe lack of technology i.e. smart phones and computers even though they have a robot maid

the show could be cut down to 4 episodes if they all just used whatsapp

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    for a show set in 2019 there is a severe lack of technology i.e. smart phones and computers even though they have a robot maid

the show could be cut down to 4 episodes if they all just used whatsapp

I don't think it is set in 2019. Don't know if it was specifically said anywhere what year it was set in, but there were lots of answering machines, old phones, older cars etc. I placed it maybe mid-80s.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They were born in 1989 so present day would be about right

**** yeah, you're right. Well then yeah, these idiots need phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Born in 1989, Number 5 was 13 when he disappeared 16 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Just finished episode 4, seems a bit all over the place but I’m putting that down to getting to know the characters and their back stories
    That seemed intentional to me, though, to give that more quirky vibe that it has. Plus to also highlight that the world it's set in probably diverged from ours at some point given the birth of those 47 children and the whole time-travel aspect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished the last episode today and I have to say I liked it; they consistently hit the right music to the show which is adding to it all and while it's not a 10/10 I'd recommend it. Yes it has some repetitiveness as they tell backstories through time jumps etc. but overall it's nice to see some superheroes that are not perfect/brooding etc. In regards to the time period it's clearly not intended to be today; need only look at the cars, the computers etc. to see that. Obvious set up for season 2 but no cliffhangers that would spoil you watching season 1 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We're about 6 episodes in and I'm enjoying it but the plot is so telegraphed it's a little annoying. Robert Sheahan is, as always, a joy to watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I finished this series the other night and really enjoyed it. Love the music and the characters - I'm interested to see where the second season goes.

I noticed the lack of tech too and thought that it may have been set in another time period. But the first episode establishes that they were born in 1989, that Five was 13 when he disappeared and then he reappeared 16 years later, so it's present day.

The original comic series took place in the late 70s and in a timeline where some major historical events turned out differently, so maybe the world in the TV series is 2018/2019 technically, but not the 2018/2019 we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maybe it's me but there seems to be a mix of 60/70/80's in the series (some of the attire for example)
    Loving the music with the scenes.

5 episodes in, its very entertaining, soundtrack is class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Number 5's acting is actually superb.
    A kid pretending to be a 58 year old trapped in a kids body
    . His actions, posture and the way he conveys his emotions is fantastic. You never see him as anything less than the
    eldest

The dance scene was cringe af.

Advertisement