Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Umbrella Academy [Netflix] [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Thud

fritzelly wrote: »
    Maybe it's me but there seems to be a mix of 60/70/80's in the series (some of the attire for example)
    Loving the music with the scenes.

The Netflix Sex Education show did something similar, the school had a 80/90s US look even though it was set in current day UK and mobile phone use was pretty low in the first few episodes.
    Probably makes for more interesting watching than kids going around staring down at there phones 90% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Actually loved it, soundtrack was absolutely amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I finished it last night. Absolutely loved it. There were some pacing issues but overall it was an excellent Netflix production. Casting was superb for the most part. I really hope it gets another season, but even if it does, we wont see it until 2021 at the earliest which is a real shame as the kid that plays 5 will be a lot older by then and for me he was the standout performance as well as Rob Sheehan knocking it out of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

claiva wrote: »
    I finished it last night. Absolutely loved it. There were some pacing issues but overall it was an excellent Netflix production. Casting was superb for the most part. I really hope it gets another season, but even if it does, we wont see it until 2021 at the earliest which is a real shame as the kid that plays 5 will be a lot older by then and for me he was the standout performance as well as Rob Sheehan knocking it out of the park.

The kid who plays 5 has been acting for years. My son constantly watches his stuff on nickileoden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

5 episodes in - it's a typical Netflix production which screams BUDGET!
    I'm assuming the Director saw Baby Driver and decided to rip off the music/action sequence completely - which is fine I suppose.
    The action sequences are actually the biggest letdown for me either shot in the dark(cheap) or very shaky in the execution(again cheap).
    I think if the budget was extended those could be of the Baby Driver calibre.

Casting and acting is very good and although the plot is a little predictable - overall it's not a bad watch.
    Would love to see these type of series with a fatter budget - GOT style.
    HBO production crushes Netflix.

• Advertisement

claiva wrote: »
    Five was definitely my favourite character, Robert Sheehan usually annoys the crap out of me but I actually liked him in this. Very enjoyable show, I hope it gets a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ScreenRant reporting that it's the biggest digital show in the US at the moment so i would say a second season is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

My 12 year old keeps asking me if we can watch it - I've said 'no' thus far as it's 15's.

Is it mainly violence that's driving the age-rating or is there bad language/nudity stuff?

My 12 year old keeps asking me if we can watch it - I've said 'no' thus far as it's 15's.

Is it mainly violence that's driving the age-rating or is there bad language/nudity stuff?

I would say it's mainly the violence, and it is aiolent with some moments of heavy blood spatter, also references to drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Definitely not for a 12 year old imo. Deserved the 15 years tag rating tbh. I loved it I must say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Ah come on lads, unless 12 year olds are far more sensitive than we were back in the day then he'll be grand.

Cina wrote: »
    Ah come on lads, unless 12 year olds are far more sensitive than we were back in the day then he'll be grand.

1. There's nothing wrong with being sensitive.
    2. Not all 12 year olds are the same, the best we can do is provide the poster with the information about what's in the show. At the end of the day it will be their decision on whether they think their child can handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Cina wrote: »

Ever heard of "safe spaces" back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

FunLover18 wrote: »
    1. There's nothing wrong with being sensitive.
    2. Not all 12 year olds are the same, the best we can do is provide the poster with the information about what's in the show. At the end of the day it will be their decision on whether they think their child can handle it.

Sensitive was probably the wrong word on my behalf. Innocent, maybe?

Either way I wouldn't agree with the poster above that a 12 year old "shouldn't" watch this show. I'd say any 12 year old who has watched any TV on later than 8pm would be fine. Really it varies on the person but I wouldn't rule out letting them watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Sounds like I need to watch the first episode myself and then make a choice.

The IMDB parent guide doesn't seem like it's too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It depends on the 12 year old but there are scenes that stuck in my head for their violence. No idea how to do spoilers on the mobile though. I’d watch the whole thing before showing it so you can decide properly.

I didn’t find much from a sex related stuff although what is there wouldn’t be the run of the mill but I did find it violent and gory overall. There is death and the afterlife featured as well as fairly horrible parenting. Any of that could be upsetting but does depend on the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I doubt a 12 year old would even enjoy it

Yep, this is very much an older audience viewing not so much for the themes but just the story line needs more of an attention span than the average 12 year old would have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

pjohnson wrote: »
    The "I think we're alone now" scene was great!

ha, i just watched it now and had a look to see if there was a thread.
    your man the drug lad is a bit much for me, he's like he's trying to be johnny depp, but so far so interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Just finished this tonight , really enjoyed it .

bluewolf wrote: »
    ha, i just watched it now and had a look to see if there was a thread.
    your man the drug lad is a bit much for me, he's like he's trying to be johnny depp, but so far so interesting

Sheehan played a similar character in misfits years ago, tbh I think its just his style and one he does well but it is an over the top character alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sounds like I need to watch the first episode myself and then make a choice.

The IMDB parent guide doesn't seem like it's too bad.

Watch it yourself is the only way you know. Also some movies and series vary how she suitable they are from one one show to the next. Another option site is here...

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-reviews/the-umbrella-academy

I think there is a big difference between a 12 and a 15. We might be desensitised to age ratings having watched much older stuff for 20yrs plus.

12 is still primary school for a lot of kids. It's this what you want them taking about in yard.

I only watched some of the first episode so I can't really comment. But for me it's a no thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sheehan played a similar character in misfits years ago, tbh I think its just his style and one he does well but it is an over the top character alright

Agreed. The thing with misfits was I initially thought the same about Sheehan “a bit much” but his character grew on me and I loved it by the end of the first series.

I think seeming misfits has allowed me to jump on board with sheehans character here a lot quicker. He plays it very well and is way more interesting then the boring crap he’s done in movies over the last few years.

Loving this show. On episode 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Liked this a lot. As mentioned above number 5 is going to age, but they should be able to pull off one more season in a couple of years time.

But number 7 didn't
    cause the apocalypse
    It was the intervention of the other 6
    that caused her to go all super cyclops

Drumpot wrote: »
    Agreed. The thing with misfits was I initially thought the same about Sheehan “a bit much” but his character grew on me and I loved it by the end of the first series.

I think seeming misfits has allowed me to jump on board with sheehans character here a lot quicker. He plays it very well and is way more interesting then the boring crap he’s done in movies over the last few years.

Loving this show. On episode 6.

Ya i think it might be the same with me I accepted it very quickly here too.

Up to 7 and I'm finding it very entertaining I'm a big fan of the quirkier kind of shows

• Registered Users Posts: 31,836 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

2 episodes in I really like it, not the standard superhero show and all the better for it

I did notice a color disparity in some scenes in the later episodes was there any meaning to it, or was it just making some scenes very vivid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I did notice a color disparity in some scenes in the later episodes was there any meaning to it, or was it just making some scenes very vivid

If your thinking about the scene with the little girl on the bike , then yes it’s on purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ah bollox. Finished it this morning...

Absolutely loved it. From an enjoyment scale I give it 10/10. So much fun and likable characters.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Skerries wrote: »
    for a show set in 2019 there is a severe lack of technology i.e. smart phones and computers even though they have a robot maid

the show could be cut down to 4 episodes if they all just used whatsapp

It's prob not set in this world. Not a big deal for me.

Think it's garbage. Bar the young kid, the best acting is from his mannequin girlfriend. Ellen Page is generally terrible but she's setting new low standards in this.

It's like a bad YA fantasy novel for me.

I did like how they used the concept of time in this though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Intriguing pilot episode anyway, and it's pretty obvious where the inspiration is coming from, with its school of gifted youngsters. The premise and story tease was enough to keep me going ...

Pretty slick affair, Pojo the monkey looked great for an ostensible TV show. Of course knowing Netflix this will probably run for 2 series before getting the axe.

Advertisement