Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refugee campaigner targetted with fake ad

• 14-12-2018 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

Just seen this video this morning, Fiona O'Leary a well known refugee campaigner from Cork was the victim of online trolls who published a fake ad inviting refugees and travellers to stay at her home over christmas.

This woman was spreading fake news during the week accusing Matteo Salvini of being at a protest in Dublin, she fell for a rather crude photo shop of someone holding a lega nord flag at the protest outside the Dail.

While there is no doubt this woman is an idiot, shes an idiot with kids two of which have special needs. She is not fair game for this type of stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is nothing to discuss. You have said it all so well. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I think she herself has created a public profile through activism.

She can't then complain afterwards when the 'bullets' are flying and retreat into the private citizen role. That is having cake and eating it.

There is blatant hypocrisy with those who are terribly anxious to spend tax on their cause but don't like contributing themselves.

Just as there has been hypocrisy exposed with right wing elements who don't mind using cheap foreign labour, speaking out both sides of their mouth.

All that said. Private home stuff is OTT due to kids, who are innocent. An inventive effort at exposing her perhaps, but a bad call as it crosses a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

*Rants and campaigns for a greener earth, but goes around in a Hummer and private jet*

Same hypocrisy principal I guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just seen this video this morning, Fiona O'Leary a well known refugee campaigner from Cork was the victim of online trolls who published a fake ad inviting refugees and travellers to stay at her home over christmas.

This woman was spreading fake news during the week accusing Matteo Salvini of being at a protest in Dublin, she fell for a rather crude photo shop of someone holding a lega nord flag at the protest outside the Dail.

While there is no doubt this woman is an idiot, shes an idiot with kids two of which have special needs. She is not fair game for this type of stuff.

Have you reported it to the police? No.
    Have you reported it to Twitter? No.
    Did she go straight onto the radio for publicity? Yes.

She's loving the attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Well in fairness there is a housing crisis, surely in the spirit of welcoming more people here she would have no problem offering a bed to a needy individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

Have you reported it to the police? No.
    Have you reported it to Twitter? No.
    Did she go straight onto the radio for publicity? Yes.

She's loving the attention.

She was just on her way to the garda station and stopped to ring the radio station ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭John Sacrimoni

Well in fairness there is a housing crisis, surely in the spirit of welcoming more people here she would have no problem offering a bed to a needy individual.

Yeah she wants them all to come here but doesnt really care where they live.. someone elses problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

That's not the way for people like her.
    She wants the rest of us to take in the refugees and she will be very loud in her demand that we do "our bit".

Wonder where she gets all the time to be a refugee campaigner?
    Wonder if she works ........... because that will definitely zap the energy out of you and leave very little time or enthusiasm for all this campaigning.
    Based on what I've seen on television or read online, the demographic of these refugee campaigners seem to be identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

This is hilarious

I hope a large group of 'people' from all walks of life land at her door soon. Or has it already happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tell them Geldof has plenty of spare rooms for xmas.

The Game of Thrones guy too.

• Advertisement

Gazzmonkey wrote:
    I hope a large group of 'people' from all walks of life land at her door soon. Or has it already happened?

You mean 'bearded children'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Relatively aware her, the things she primarily highlights are people who make up nonsense about vaccines or people who favour bleach solutions to autism. So it more strikes me that the op wants a pile on against her....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Real bang of Geldof off her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

And you should open your wallet and give money away. I mean if you pay into the system which gives money to those without, you've obviously got no problem giving your money away. You pay towards hospitals too, open an aul' box of band-aids and hand them out to passer-bys outta dat :rolleyes:

And you should open your wallet and give money away. I mean if you pay into the system which gives money to those without, you've obviously got no problem giving your money away. You pay towards hospitals too, open an aul' box of band-aids and hand them out to passer-bys outta dat

Actually as a PAYE worker I don't have a choice about paying into the system and absolutely no say as to how my taxes are spent. Since most charities enjoy significant state funding through my taxes I feel I've done my bit and have no interest in contributing further from my stretched finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She's just being a drama queen, it's not as if a fleet of Hiaces were going to arrive at her door Christmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

She's just being a drama queen, it's not as if a fleet of Hiaces were going to arrive at her door Christmas morning.

that doesn't matter though. it's the principal of what happened.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

that doesn't matter though. it's the principal of what happened.

And her family have been targeted by some pretty unsavoury types to date. Jim Corr has been encouraging people to harass her for years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

batgoat wrote: »
    And her family have been targeted by some pretty unsavoury types to date. Jim Corr has been encouraging people to harass her for years...

She seems to crave the attention more than she cares for her family. Her first thought was to ring a radio station rather than ringing the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

topper75 wrote: »
    I think she herself has created a public profile through activism.

She can't then complain afterwards when the 'bullets' are flying and retreat into the private citizen role. That is having cake and eating it.

There is blatant hypocrisy with those who are terribly anxious to spend tax on their cause but don't like contributing themselves.

Just as there has been hypocrisy exposed with right wing elements who don't mind using cheap foreign labour, speaking out both sides of their mouth.

All that said. Private home stuff is OTT due to kids, who are innocent. An inventive effort at exposing her perhaps, but a bad call as it crosses a line.

If she pays tax herself, isn’t she contributing?

• Advertisement

If she pays tax herself, isn’t she contributing?

DeYq0zOVwAA4nmO.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Meme

Well, wouldn’t she? Nobody gets to decide how their taxes are spent.

She seems to crave the attention more than she cares for her family. Her first thought was to ring a radio station rather than ringing the guards.

how do you know her first thought was to phone up a radio station before phoning the gards? how do you know she phoned the radio station before phoning the gards?

how do you know her first thought was to phone up a radio station before phoning the gards? how do you know she phoned the radio station before phoning the gards?

I actually listened to the links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I actually listened to the links.

Yeah the whole “Have you contacted the Gardaí?” “No, not yet and sure they won’t be able to do anything anyway” while talking on the radio sorta gives it away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

If you want to talk the talk you’ve got to walk the walk!

If you want to talk the talk you’ve got to walk the walk!

not in this case. nobody has any obligation to take a stranger into their home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

not in this case. nobody has any obligation to take a stranger into their home.

Or their Country

Man Up! wrote: »
    Lol this is funny as fcuk.

it's not no
    Fair play to those trolling her.

not fair play to them.
    Hope a squad of pikies and rapefugees rock up to her gaff.

it's refugees and travelers.

• Advertisement

Or their Country

the government decides who can and can't come into the country and not the individual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement