Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are these Weather warnings overblown?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I think there point is well made as they were not over blown warnings. Same with the post on the roof tile. Or would you like us just to all agree yes there over blown to make you happy

No the point wasn't well made and if you think about it you would know that. It was a ghoulish way to end the debate. And by the way, I said earlier on this thread that weather warning are not overblown by MetE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Completely over the top. It’s a bit windy for sure, but the weather nerds love to make it seem like the world is about to end. Just out of the Aviva stadium and there was a big crowd there.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/child-cheats-death-after-being-struck-by-falling-tree-in-cork-892334.html

Yeah completely over the top when a child nearly gets killed by a falling tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/child-cheats-death-after-being-struck-by-falling-tree-in-cork-892334.html

Yeah completely over the top when a child nearly gets killed by a falling tree.
    The important question to be asked here is, why do we have 'substantial trees' growing in the middle of our cities.? Especially near footpaths and cycle lanes. Keeps our climate change theorists happy I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

washman3 wrote: »
    The important question to be asked here is, why do we have 'substantial trees' growing in the middle of our cities.? Especially near footpaths and cycle lanes. Keeps our climate change theorists happy I suppose.

"Why do we have 'substantial trees' growing in our cities?"

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Seemed to be a lot less warnings out about this storm than the last one. My wife opened the car door earlier and the wind nearly blew it clean off.

I was lucky to get away with a broken or damaged check strap but still sickening as I only have a the car a few months.

Living on top of a hillside in Donegal doesn't help matters but today was possibly the worst wind I've seen here in over 6 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

on a serious note i was really sorry to learn about that poor girl in cork and i sincerely hope she makes a speedy recovery, and i'm sure all boardsies regardless of your opinion on these matters feel likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JMNolan wrote: »
    Ah they are, an orange wind warning in Cork and advice not to make unnecessary travel. Come on, I was out spinning around all afternoon, bit of a breeze only.

the potential was there. and if no warnings and you had had a bad accident? You woul d yell then too... even louder!

a child was injured...

fair point and i do. i went for a cycle this morning as i always do on a Sat. most pleasant.
    however it seems to me that there are many folk who are incapable of thinking for themselves and making a reasoned calculation of risk, so instead they take these warnings too literally, and either stay indoors and/or needlessly cancel events.

maybe the Warning should come with a warning?;)

Issues of insurance, public liability,,, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.. risk if fine if you are willing to take the consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Graces7 wrote: »
    the potential was there. and if no warnings and you had had a bad accident? You woul d yell then too... even louder!

a child was injured...

Perhaps if there were less warnings they would be treated more seriously and that poor child would have been kept inside. The warning certainly didn't help that poor girl, did it?

And no, I wouldn't "yell even louder", I'm an adult and can make up my own mind about situations

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

There were no weather warnings years ago.

You were told there would be winds of a certain force based on a victorian measurement system or x inches of rain.

No one knew what it was actually expected to be like.

Coloured warning first appeared this decade and I'd say it's only this century that the switched from using the Beaufort scale to Km/ph for wind speed.

Maybe whats needed is an update of the Beaufort Scale. Force 1-10 for example. Put numbers on things for God's sake. What's an orange warning for example? Do you take out the kite or baton down the hatches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Orange weather waring yesterday- What a joke!

Generation snowflake nonsense - it was a bit gusty, nothing more.

Absolutely ridiculous carry on by Met Eireann pandering to the Facebook brigade who want to believe every minor inconvenience is a country-stopping disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Indeed they are overblown. A yellow or an orange warning for every gust. Conspiracy theorist in me says Met Eireann have been given instructions to play up the bad weather in order to make impending carbon taxes more palatable

Was it not 14 degrees yesterday at the end of December. As much as I'd agree. Carbon taxes do fook all helping the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

It seems to me that these weather warning are now completely 'er overblown.
    I mean a bit of rain and a few gusts.
    I was out & about earlier and the amount of events which are imo needlessly cancelled is ridiculous.
    imo we become a nation of snowflakes.

do you agree?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/storm-deirdre-esb-teams-on-standby-as-120kmh-gusts-and-heavy-rain-set-to-batter-the-country-37628922.html

Met eirinn and rte got caught out in I think it was the feb.2014 storm/hurricane.....since then they have upped their warning & update system game to another
    Level...and have probably saved lives! Imagine a haulage company seeing a red warning with hurricane winds forcast for a few hours..you bet they will have a good think about delaying a big highsided truck for a few hours.....etc.

I don’t mind the warning system but I do think they need to rethink the by county part. Giving an entire coastal county a red warning when the actual area that requires it may be just 20km inland from the coast is leading to people saying “what’s the point of these warnings?”

It works the other way too. Sligo and Donegal receive red warning but Leitrim didn’t. But Leitrim is on the coast and you have to pass through it to get from Sligo to Donegal (or vice versa). There would be schools nearer to the coast in Leitrim that don’t close because they are not in a red county but are at more danger than a school in Sligo that’s at it furthest point inland and in no danger at all but is closed because the entire county is red.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

lalababa wrote: »
    Met eirinn and rte got caught out in I think it was the feb.2014 storm/hurricane.....since then they have upped their warning & update system game to another
    Level...and have probably saved lives! Imagine a haulage company seeing a red warning with hurricane winds forcast for a few hours..you bet they will have a good think about delaying a big highsided truck for a few hours.....etc.

That was 12th Feb 2014.

It did not have a name as it was before we started naming storms.

But we had coloured alerts and it was a red. But it was only made a red that morning. I was half was to where i was going before i found out it was a red, had i know beforehand i would not have left.

And it was every bit as bad if not worse than advertised

I don’t mind the warning system but I do think they need to rethink the by county part. Giving an entire coastal county a red warning when the actual area that requires it may be just 20km inland from the coast is leading to people saying “what’s the point of these warnings?”

It works the other way too. Sligo and Donegal receive red warning but Leitrim didn’t. But Leitrim is on the coast and you have to pass through it to get from Sligo to Donegal (or vice versa). There would be schools nearer to the coast in Leitrim that don’t close because they are not in a red county but are at more danger than a school in Sligo that’s at it furthest point inland and in no danger at all but is closed because the entire county is red.

I think school heads have the skill and sense to deal with this. School by school

I think school heads have the skill and sense to deal with this. School by school

Schools were just an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Correct. And if a Red warning in a county school heads can't decide on a school by school basis anyway, so the point is moot.
    Schools were just an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

a child was injured...

i'm not arguing against warnings. they are very useful. my point is i think they need to be more geo-specific.
    people are extremely busy nowadays, & all many folk (myself included sometimes) hear are the words WEATHER WARNING. they then go to ground it seems. no need imo.

there are areas of the country who do not experience the weather event, so for them to shut-shop in unnecessary imo. the use of the colour-coded map should be encouraged as people can "read/interpret" it more readily.

from yesterday's map it was clear many parts of the country had little/nothing to be concerned about, as mainly the South/SE & Donegal was getting it.

like i and others outside those specific areas, have said yesterday was just your average lousy winters day.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Seemed to be a lot less warnings out about this storm tha n the last one. My wife opened the car door earlier and the wind nearly blew it clean off.

I was lucky to get away with a broken or damaged check strap but still sickening as I only have a the car a few months.

Living on top of a hillside in Donegal doesn't help matters but today was possibly the worst wind I've seen here in over 6 years.

I could not open the door here without it would have taken off.. Last year I was dragged several yards and slammed against a wall before I could let go. The warnings get heeded here and are welcome

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

i'm not arguing against warnings. they are very useful. my point is i think they need to be more geo-specific.
    people are extremely busy nowadays, & all many folk (myself included sometimes) hear are the words WEATHER WARNING. they then go to ground it seems. no need imo.

there are areas of the country who do not experience the weather event, so for them to shut-shop in unnecessary imo. the use of the colour-coded map should be encouraged as people can "read/interpret" it more readily.

from yesterday's map it was clear many parts of the country had little/nothing to be concerned about, as mainly the South/SE & Donegal was getting it.

like i and others outside those specific areas, have said yesterday was just your average lousy winters day.

There’s numerous problems with this.

If there’s a weather system that is going to cover the whole country, how can they possibly know what exactly is going to happen and where? You can’t make things like that geo-specific because it might not happen. Sometimes systems don’t turn out to be as bad as the data portrays them to be. It happens.

Another issue is this ‘**** it, be grand’ attitude. People adopt this and when the storm turns out to be as bad as forecast then they wonder why a red alert wasn’t issued. People don’t take orange alerts seriously enough and when the weather ****s the bed as forecast, they point the finger at Met Eireann for ‘only’ issuing an orange alert.

There’s also the element of ‘its better to be safe than sorry’.

Advertisement