Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prime time last night Direct Provision

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Vilifying any distinct group in society is far right.

Gay people, for instance, don't have ethnic status.

Generalised vilification of gay people is also textbook far right.

What about Russians?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

What about Russians?

What about the far right? Does vilifying the far right mean you become them?

What about the far right? Does vilifying the far right mean you become them?

What about catholics. A distinct group in society. (I’m not one btw). Or country folk who voted for Casey. (I voted for Higgins).

I seem to recall some major hostility to Hungarians and Poles too.

There’s quite a few people this guy vilifies.

I report most of his posts. His seems protected though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

So if a gay rights, pro-abortion, pro-immigration activist held the same views as Peter Casey on travellers... they’re far right?
    Absolutely, they would be on that issue.

People who vilify ethnic groups or vilify any distinct grouping in society on the basis of their sexuality, colour, gender etc., ie. on the basis of a distinct characteristic or ethnicity or race, are by definition far right.

It's not difficult to understand, is it?

What about Russians?

What do you think?

Generalised vilification of Russians is as abhorrent as any other generalised vilification based on a person's nationality or ethnicity or colour or sexuality or gender etc.

But of course you're deliberately confusing that, for your own nefarious ends, with extreme dislike of the fascist, authoritarian Russian regime of Putin, because you're a pro-Russian regime troll.

I'd have thought any reasonable person would have an extreme dislike for a kleptocratic, murderous thug like Putin and his cronies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Well put. It just goes to show how out-of-touch our spineless and useless State-run media are with the people of Ireland and their daily lives

It's about time that these clowns were privatised and earned their wage on what viewers think, and not by some State imposed taxation that people are threatened with time behind bars if they don't pay.

Bar some sporting events, what good television do these useless public sector clowns produce?

Let them talk all the sh!te they want. So long as they are living off of privatised advertising like every other TV station. Nobody should be forced to fund a useless State-run outlet with a clear agenda.

What do you think?

Generalised vilification of Russians is as abhorrent as any other generalised vilification based on a person's nationality or colour or sexuality or gender etc.

But of course you're deliberately confusing that, for your own nefarious ends, with extreme dislike of the fascist, authoritarian Russian regime of Putin, because you're a pro-Russian regime troll.

Another reported personal attack. Let’s see what happens.

I don’t think I’ve really ever mentioned the Russian regime. Or anything internal to that regime. Whenever I ask for examples you disappear.

Contrary to this you in fact accuse people you dislike of being Russians. Not just pro regime. The implication being that Russians are a “nefarious”’actors in themselves.

Also accusing everybody you dislike of being Russian stooges is not just a neo-McCarthyism but not much more than an ad hominem. There’s no arguments but generalise ad hominens in your posts.

Another reported personal attack. Let’s see what happens.

I don’t think I’ve really ever mentioned the Russian regime. Or anything internal to that regime. Whenever I ask for examples you disappear.

Contrary to this you in fact accuse people you dislike of being Russians. Not just pro regime. The implication being that Russians are a “nefarious”’actors in themselves.

Also accusing everybody you dislike of being Russian stooges is not just a neo-McCarthyism but not much more than an ad hominem.
    Report away.

The personal attacks on me on this forum have been coming left, right and centre, because I'm telling home truths that people like you hate.

What's your view on the Russian invasions of Ukraine and Georgia?

What's your view on widespread Russian interference in the elections of other countries?

Do you think Putin is a kleptocrat?

What's your view on the Salisbury poisoning?

What's your view of what Russia has done in Syria?

What's your view on the extra-judicial executions of Russian journalists, politicians, businesspeople etc. which have happened regularly. Who do you think is responsible?

What's your view on the Holomodor? Do you consider it a genocide?

What's your view on how the Soviet Army stood back and let the the people of the Warsaw Ghetto be slaughtered by the Nazis?

Why do you deliberately confuse extreme dislike of the actions of the Russian regime/s, with anti-Russian bigotry?

Do you also deliberately confuse dislike for the US government with anti-American bigotry?

Do you deliberately confuse dislike for the history of British imperialism, the actions of the British Army in Ireland and the ridiculous carry on of the hard Brexiteers, with generalised anti-British bigotry?

Do you confuse hatred of Naziism with anti-German bigotry?

Or do you only do this in relation to the Russian regime?

It would be interesting to get your view on these questions, if, as you claim, you're not a pro-Russian regime troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Kivaro wrote: »
    And I call bullshoite on your bull****.
    Asylum Seekers in Direct Provision can work under new regulations that kicked in late June/early July 2018. And those who work are expected to pay a contribution towards their accommodation in the direct provision system.

Don't expect your bullshoite to go unchallenged.

On a more positive note,is'nt it great to see our little State more than holding it's own in the EU Immigration statistics...

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Migration_and_migrant_population_statistics

With a little more effort,and everybody getting behind the Government,we can overtake Luxembourg !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Report away.

The personal attacks on me on this forum have been coming left, right and centre, because I'm telling home truths that people like you hate.

What's your view on widespread Russian interference in the elections of other countries?

What's your view on the extra-judicial executions of Russian journalists, politicians, businesspeople etc. which have happened regularly. Who do you think is responsible?

What's your view on how the Soviet Army stood back and let the the people of the Warsaw Ghetto be slaughtered by the Nazis?

Why do you deliberately confuse extreme dislike of the actions of the Russian regime/s, with anti-Russian bigotry?

Do you also deliberately confuse dislike for the US government with anti-American bigotry?

Do you deliberately confuse dislike for the history of British imperialism, the actions of the British Army in Ireland and the ridiculous carry on of the hard Brexiteers, with generalised anti-British bigotry?

It would be interesting to get your view on these questions, if, as you claim, you're not a pro-Russian regime troll.

Is Putin a member of his local Rotary Club?

Is Putin's favourite colour purple?

Was that Putin I saw in SuperValu earlier?

Is Putin planning on poisoning my puppy?

Did Putin read this newspaper this morning?

Does Putin like tea or coffee?

Was that Putin I saw earlier walking past the Four Courts on the news?

Was that definetly Putin in the local SuperValu earlier, will CCTV footage provide the evidence?

Did Putin send his grandmother a tin of biscuits, and it so....... why?

Did Putin visit the moon, and if so ..... why?

The telly has s bad reception.... could this be the work of Putin?

Has Putin ever been to New Zealand, and if not.........why?

Does Putin know about a secret spacecraft that landed in Siberia from the planet Jupiter?

Does Putin have anything to gain from the elections in Liechtenstein?

Does Putin like flowers, and if so...... why?

Was that Putin in Dunnes Stores earlier ..

Questions that need answering

• Advertisement

Report away.

Why are you asking me questions that you should be able to answer if, as you said, I were already a Russian troll.

Please answer with examples of how I have already answered or shown any bias in these questions. I generally haven’t mentioned any of them, Syria aside. That’s what I asked you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You're arguing against reality here.

Travellers are specifically an ethnic group and it's recognised in law.

But sure I wouldn't expect anything else from a far right numbnut than to argue against reality.

Arguing against reality is what your whole worldview is based on.

Lol I love it when the snowflakes get irritated. It means many a nerve us being touched! Nice

You're arguing against reality here.

Travellers are specifically an ethnic group and it's recognised in law.

But sure I wouldn't expect anything else from a far right numbnut than to argue against reality.

Arguing against reality is what your whole worldview is based on.

Just because it’s recognized in law doesn’t mean they actually are- paper never refused ink

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

People who vilify ethnic groups or vilify any distinct grouping in society on the basis of their sexuality, colour, gender etc., ie. on the basis of a distinct characteristic or ethnicity or race, are by definition far right.

What if you criticise travellers based on the fact their culture shuns education, women's rights, environmental laws, taxation laws.

Are you still "far right"

Just want to get the technicals right.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What if you criticise travellers based on the fact their culture shuns education, women's rights, environmental laws, taxation laws.

Are you still "far right"

Just want to get the technicals right.

Also gay rights. They are vehemently homophobic in the majority but let’s glide over that as they are so special god love them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

So people are political allegiance fluid? Far right today and far left tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Paul Mason estimates that in any country, at least 10% of the population are simply "fascist bastards".

Peter Casey blatantly played from the far right playbook in the presidential election and got 23% on a very low turnout. Generalised vilification of an ethnic group is bona fide far right - it's no different in principle to what happened in 1930s Germany.

There is a latent far right tendency in Ireland but it has so far been kept pretty much under wraps in party politics.

We thankfully don't have much of a far right presence in everyday politics because i) normal, reasonable Irish people reject far right politics and ii) the type of people who are far right by nature tend to be of very low calibre - poor speakers, utterly incompetent and useless, have terrible policies, and thus make terrible politicians.

What Ireland certainly does have is a vocal and far outsized far right presence on internet forums and the likes.

I'd venture that the vast majority of far right cranks are constantly polluting forums like this and others in an effort to portray their views as more common than they actually are in real life, i) in an effort to gain electoral popularity and ii) because they have nothing better to do, most of them being unhappy single males who have never had sex and have pretty much no hope of ever doing so.

A lot of generalizations there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The nearest thing we got to a far right candidate was Peter Casey and he got large support. He didnt actually say anything far righty but most far right people dont either, they just dont agree with woolly liberal type stuff and thats what the media mostly publish. Hence media sales falling and internet use rising. The Guardian is the most liberal useless rag now and its constantly appealing to its readership to donate money to keep it afloat.

At least 90% of the population of most countries are "facist bastards" and ten per cent are wooly liberals. See how politics is changing in Europe and how far from liberalism voters are going to go. Most people though dont want to draw the leftist loonies on their heads so they stay quiet and then vote for the politican who voices their feelings at the polls. What you see online is the majority of the population saying how they feel, you wont see their views in the media because most of the media are loony lefty type, all for immigrants etc except when it comes to housing them near their nice to live in areas. The areas being nice to live in because you arent surrounded by immigrants or travellers or the worst type of social housing tenant.

Democracy in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Simple fact is that Casey wouldn't have got 23% of the vote if he hadn't hit on something that was annoying so many people, but which was being brushed over.

Advertisement