Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest with Electric Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

Has anyone got this heating control installed in their house lately?

https://www.thehubcontroller.com

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

Is there a monthly subscription for nest after the installation. Saw the question asked back a few pages but did not see the answer. If there is a subscription is it essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

Will this work with an old system. Currently have no zones or any thermostats. Just a timer switch for the heating. And on off for Emerson. How would this benefit me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭loki7777

mytime wrote: »
    Is there a monthly subscription for nest after the installation. Saw the question asked back a few pages but did not see the answer. If there is a subscription is it essential?
    There is but you don't need it to use it fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

mad m wrote: »

It's alright but they've had quite a few teething issues. Very small company too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm getting mine installed tomorrow, so I can let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Monthly subscription not essential, although I never offer there was one!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Will this work with an old system. Currently have no zones or any thermostats. Just a timer switch for the heating. And on off for Emerson. How would this benefit me?

Yes, will work perfectly. For one, remote access from phone, switch it on when your leaving work, but won't work for immersion.

antodeco wrote: »

Did you get it free from their Facebook page or through your oil supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

loki7777 wrote: »

can u explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ordered. Install next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

That would be great thanks. What type of system do you have? I’ve 3 zones, down, up, hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kingstevii wrote: »
    Monthly subscription not essential, although I never offer there was one!

There is none

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Heroditas wrote: »
    Did you get it free from their Facebook page or through your oil supplier?

Signed up via Facebook I think.
    That would be great thanks. What type of system do you have? I’ve 3 zones, down, up, hot water.

It can only control 1 heating zone, so I'm getting mine installed parallel to my other controller. I have 2 zones plus hot water. 1 zone is a flat, with its own controls, so doesn't affect it at all. Other zone is the whole house, which the hub controller will be connected to, and finally hot water, which will be controlled by the existing unit.

Fake news alert !!!!!! There’s no fees

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frankthetank83

Nope. There is no monthly fee for nest as it works off WiFi.
    The other option from electric ireland, Climote runs off SIM card. There is a small fee for this after 12 months which pays for the SIM card.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I asked them that today and they said there is no additional costs unless you opt to subscribe to their smarter home control service:

https://shop.electricireland.ie/subscriptions

It's just a once off fee otherwise.

I’d opt for Climote if I was you. If you are running other sources of heating like stove it will send the thermostat crazy as it’s purely based on temperature.

Climote is simple as it’s on and off. You can set schedules for each day too.

ted1 wrote: »
    Why not ? If the stove is on and the temperature matches the thermostat it won’t turn on the oil boiler.[/QUOTE

Nest is designed to control the only source of heat. Time to temperature, true radiant, weather compensation etc won’t workt correctly if there are other heating sources. It will work but using temperature set points and time would be a nightmare.... my opinion anyways... maybe could work if you put nest in different area of house but Climote with a simple remote stat would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭loki7777

Fake news alert !!!!!! There’s no fees

Use egg and you will see something like nest pro or nest vip(not at home now so can't check it) and you have to pay for it - might be just support or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

audi02 wrote: »
    When I rang EI and I also contacted Nest via chat to confirm this I was told I needed two nests as the unit I have wont work anymore so I'd have no way of controlling my upstairs radiators. My plumbers calling today Im gonna run it past him when hes here before I actaully get them installed. EI actually told me a climote would be far more suitable for my house and its cheaper but it works off a sim which is no good to me as we have no phone coverage.

Hi what reason did they think the climate was more suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Climote is beyond prehistoric at this stage, GMS sim card in 2019 ffs.

I’d opt for Climote if I was you. If you are running other sources of heating like stove it will send the thermostat crazy as it’s purely based on temperature.

Climote is simple as it’s on and off. You can set schedules for each day too.

Climote is supposed to work on temperature too. What there installers have done in the past is set the temperature set point ridiculously high so it'll always come on and off when requested to, this functioning as a simple time clock.

Signed up via Facebook I think.

It can only control 1 heating zone, so I'm getting mine installed parallel to my other controller. I have 2 zones plus hot water. 1 zone is a flat, with its own controls, so doesn't affect it at all. Other zone is the whole house, which the hub controller will be connected to, and finally hot water, which will be controlled by the existing unit.

Ask them how they're installing it for free for you tomorrow when you already have a multi zone system and Hub is an entry level heating control.

An energy supplier benefits for the system being fitted insofar as they can report it as a measure towards their annual energy savings targets. However, because you have a multi zone system already installed, they shouldn't be installing something like Hub. Your system is already superior to what Hub can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

LillySV wrote: »
    Hi what reason did they think the climate was more suitable?

Because of my 3 zones and my main reason for getting it is to be able to control it from my phone. I need 2 nests so he was quoting me €400 (thats the price if you buy 2 together as the 2nd one isn't on offer but i just placed 2 separate orders so 2 nests were €260) whereas the climote will do the same job for €90.

audi02 wrote: »
    Because of my 3 zones and my main reason for getting it is to be able to control it from my phone. I need 2 nests so he was quoting me €400 (thats the price if you buy 2 together as the 2nd one isn't on offer but i just placed 2 separate orders so 2 nests were €260) whereas the climote will do the same job for €90.
    It’s not really the same. Climate is a remote thermostat , Nest is a smart one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

However, if you/your household don't work very regular patterns, Nest will be far from usefully smart.

I caught it doing stuff like deciding that because we had the heating on at 7am one Saturday morning or midday one weekday that we wanted it like that all Saturdays/all weekdays.

So I use it as a remote thermostat mostly. And the legionella control cycle on the hot water is a tiny bit reassuring since I've got a tank that doesn't lose heat quickly so will be in the danger zone for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Ya sorry I worded that badly... when the only function I want is to be able to turn it on and off from my phone they could both do that

L1011 wrote: »
    However, if you/your household don't work very regular patterns, Nest will be far from usefully smart.

I caught it doing stuff like deciding that because we had the heating on at 7am one Saturday morning or midday one weekday that we wanted it like that all Saturdays/all weekdays.

So I use it as a remote thermostat mostly. And the legionella control cycle on the hot water is a tiny bit reassuring since I've got a tank that doesn't lose heat quickly so will be in the danger zone for a very long time.
    Was that at the start ? It takes a while for it to learn. And runs tests

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was that at the start ? It takes a while for it to learn. And runs tests

It can't learn erratic work patterns, that's the issue.

The auto-away sensor also can't be overridden by an On event, only by geofencing. My house doesn't heat up that fast that geofencing will get it warm before someone gets home. If they allowed a second type of target temperature, maybe "set to this temperature at this time unless house has been empty for 48h" or whatever it'd be very useful.

Advertisement