Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest with Electric Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭ted1

L1011 wrote: »
    It can't learn erratic work patterns, that's the issue.

The auto-away sensor also can't be overridden by an On event, only by geofencing. My house doesn't heat up that fast that geofencing will get it warm before someone gets home. If they allowed a second type of target temperature, maybe "set to this temperature at this time unless house has been empty for 48h" or whatever it'd be very useful.
    It learns how long the house takes to heat up, so it does compensate when it’s set to be x degrees for y time

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »
    It learns how long the house takes to heat up, so it does compensate when it’s set to be x degrees for y time

I know - but that's not what I'm talking about

The geofencing for auto-away only turns it on when it 'sees' you approaching, that is not enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

Wish I had seen this thread a week or two ago. I just switched to electric ireland, in part to avail of their "switch to us and get a nest installed" offer. Now I'm realising I could have switched and got the cashback, and just bought the nest and install outright for the same price and gotten a google home mini for my trouble too.

Rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Heroditas

zenbuffy wrote: »
    Wish I had seen this thread a week or two ago. I just switched to electric ireland, in part to avail of their "switch to us and get a nest installed" offer. Now I'm realising I could have switched and got the cashback, and just bought the nest and install outright for the same price and gotten a google home mini for my trouble too.

Rats.

When did you actually start the switching process? You might still be in the cooling off period and could cancel!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

Glad i seen this, just cancelled my order to switch to electric ireland with the nest for 130, changed it to the 200 euro cash back and purchased the climote separately for 90. went with the climote as i have a zoned system and they wanted another 270 for a second nest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1 Have your cake and eat it :)

Switched a few months ago to EI for both gas and electricity as it was the cheapest for me (given the €200 discount) as long as I stay under 6MWh electricity use per year. Went for the €130 Nest from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Would this work with an immersion that is run on a timeswitch, ie. to turn the heater for the hot water on/off?

I have the heating (radiators, 1 zone) controlled from a segment-timer in the hallway, simple on/off one. I believe that Nest can replace this no problem.

I also have the hot water immersion controlled from a timeswitch in a press upstairs. I say "controlled", but it's really just turning the hot water boiler on/off at specific times. This is the timeswitch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJIB97K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can one Nest be set to use both of these? I just want to be able to turn both on/off with the one device really. No need for adjusting temperatures (which I don't currently do anyway).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nest cannot control the immersion timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Would this work with an immersion that is run on a timeswitch, ie. to turn the heater for the hot water on/off?

I have the heating (radiators, 1 zone) controlled from a segment-timer in the hallway, simple on/off one. I believe that Nest can replace this no problem.

I also have the hot water immersion controlled from a timeswitch in a press upstairs. I say "controlled", but it's really just turning the hot water boiler on/off at specific times. This is the timeswitch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJIB97K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can one Nest be set to use both of these? I just want to be able to turn both on/off with the one device really. No need for adjusting temperatures (which I don't currently do anyway).

Your central heating and your hot water immersion are two separate systems.

In simple terms, there are typically two ways to heat the hot water tank in your home:
    1. By turning on the central heating (You may have a separate zone for the hot water tank or a more simple set up where once you turn on the central heating, the entire house + hot water heats)
    2. By using your timer switch which heats an element inside your hot water tank which in turn, heats the water

The latest version nest will allow you to heat the hot water via the central heat via point 1 above as long as your central heating as the means to heat the hot water tank.
    If you have only one single zone, then it will heat the entire house + your hot water tank.
    If you have a specific hot water zone in the house, then you can have this wired into the nest and can control your radiators separate to your hot water through the same unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

ive a two zone heating system and a separate zone for water..... would i need three nests to control each?

also if you have two termostats, are they contolled from the same app interface?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tart29016

OREGATO wrote: »
    Your central heating and your hot water immersion are two separate systems.

In simple terms, there are typically two ways to heat the hot water tank in your home:
    1. By turning on the central heating (You may have a separate zone for the hot water tank or a more simple set up where once you turn on the central heating, the entire house + hot water heats)
    2. By using your timer switch which heats an element inside your hot water tank which in turn, heats the water

The latest version nest will allow you to heat the hot water via the central heat via point 1 above as long as your central heating as the means to heat the hot water tank.
    If you have only one single zone, then it will heat the entire house + your hot water tank.
    If you have a specific hot water zone in the house, then you can have this wired into the nest and can control your radiators separate to your hot water through the same unit.

This is a great explanation. I have as you described a more simple set up where once you turn on the central heating (we use oil), the entire house + hot water heats). Does that mean we only need to get one nest?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nest cannot control the immersion timer.
    I’m sure you could wire it up to a relay and control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

jobless wrote: »
    ive a two zone heating system and a separate zone for water..... would i need three nests to control each?

also if you have two termostats, are they contolled from the same app interface?

just the 2 should be fine.

I have this set up - 2 nests. Both nests are in the one app. One of the nests has an extra option to turn on hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

just the 2 should be fine.

I have this set up - 2 nests. Both nests are in the one app. One of the nests has an extra option to turn on hot water.

This is the same as my set up, nest and EI told me 2 is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone had theirs installed yet? Did the installer bring the Google Home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone had theirs installed yet? Did the installer bring the Google Home?

I haven't had my install yet, but I remember someone mentioning further back on the thread that the engineer brought all the equipment with him including the Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Yes he brought the google thingy with him. I have the amazon echo dot and tbh I think the google speaker is better. Love it. Nest system is brilliant also. I just set the temp in the kitchen for 21 in the morning at 8 am and same from 4pm until bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Sorry if this has been asked before, or is a stupid question, or questions. If I get a nest, or climote installed, does that mean that the downstairs and upstairs thermostats are no longer used? Does the nest control the heating for the whole house? And finally, which gives more control over the heating, as in I can set the heating to go on and off manually, rather than the system choosing the time and duration.

Sorry if this has been asked before, or is a stupid question, or questions. If I get a nest, or climote installed, does that mean that the downstairs and upstairs thermostats are no longer used? Does the nest control the heating for the whole house? And finally, which gives more control over the heating, as in I can set the heating to go on and off manually, rather than the system choosing the time and duration.

The Nest only replaces one thermostat, you need two Nests to replace two thermostats. You set target temperatures rather than on and off, which provides frost protection without the need for a separate frost stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

The Nest only replaces one thermostat, you need two Nests to replace two thermostats. You set target temperatures rather than on and off, which provides frost protection without the need for a separate frost stat.

But if you have 3 zones you need 2 heatlinks right? Seeing as 1 heatlink can only do 2 zones.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote:

Thanks a million for that. So if I'm reading correctly, I get a nest upstairs and downstairs to control the heat, and leave the boiler as is on the heating and water setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

Thanks a million for that. So if I'm reading correctly, I get a nest upstairs and downstairs to control the heat, and leave the boiler as is on the heating and water setting?

Taken from Nests own website

if you have multiple thermostats in your home, you can replace any or all of them with a Nest Thermostat. You won’t need to replace all of your current thermostats, they’ll keep controlling your system just like they always have, you shouldn’t need to change any settings.

If you’re only going to replace one of your current thermostats with a Nest Thermostat, we recommend that you replace the one in your main living area. That way it can see when you’re home, learn what temperatures you prefer, and automatically help you save energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Right I'm fairly sure these have been answered before but want to make sure.

1. I don't have to be an Electric Ireland customer to avail of this
    2. If I want two I put in two separate orders (how far apart should the orders be made?)
    3. Does it have to be by phone or can it all be done online?
    4. If there are 2 orders will there be 1 install visit or two install visits
    5. The total install price is included
    6. I would also receive two google homes
    7. Did anyone try these with an air 2 water heating system?

All of the above would cost 260 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

I switched to Electric Ireland for my new home.

Placed order for 2 nests thermostats as there are 2 zones in my home (one upstairs and one downstairs). The offer was for 1 nest and 1 google mini. So they charged me for the 2nd nest. The installer came and installed both within an hour and we are very happy with it.

I would suggest to call them on phone and try to get a deal... I was told that 2nd thermostat will be 270 or something but i haggled and got it for 130.

For google home, i would suggest order online using ebay or something, you can get one for about 25 quid or cheaper... search https://www.hotukdeals.com/ for deals and you will see plenty.

I am not familiar with Air 2 Water system so cannot comment on that... but check nest website at https://nest.com/thermostats/#works/?mode=buy to see if your heating system is compatible or not...

cronos wrote: »
    Right I'm fairly sure these have been answered before but want to make sure.

1. I don't have to be an Electric Ireland customer to avail of this
    2. If I want two I put in two separate orders (how far apart should the orders be made?)
    3. Does it have to be by phone or can it all be done online?
    4. If there are 2 orders will there be 1 install visit or two install visits
    5. The total install price is included
    6. I would also receive two google homes
    7. Did anyone try these with an air 2 water heating system?

All of the above would cost 260 euro

Ok, contacted EI today and ordered a boiler service and a nest. The woman told me I only need one nest as I only have one zone i.e the heating heats upstairs and downstairs when switched on. I said I have a thermostat upstairs and downstairs but she was adamant I only needed one nest. This seems to contradict what I've read on here. Anyone any idea what's the correct set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Ok, contacted EI today and ordered a boiler service and a nest. The woman told me I only need one nest as I only have one zone i.e the heating heats upstairs and downstairs when switched on. I said I have a thermostat upstairs and downstairs but she was adamant I only needed one nest. This seems to contradict what I've read on here. Anyone any idea what's the correct set up.

She could be right... I have 2 thermostats but I also have 2 zones which means I have to turn on the upstairs and downstairs heat separately

audi02 wrote:
    She could be right... I have 2 thermostats but I also have 2 zones which means I have to turn on the upstairs and downstairs heat separately

All the better for me so if she's right. We've just bought a house with gas heating and our first month was €150. I've always had oil and got 6 months out of 500 litres so anything that can save me money I'll be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

Don’t have any stats in my house. My heating control is boost, advance , on or off. 3 zones, downstairs, upstairs, hot water. Can have all 3 on at once etc.

What would be the best setup. Thinking of switching both gas&electric to another provider.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I would be careful here.

My set up is as follows:
    3 zones, downstairs, upstairs and hot water.
    I have 2 Nests. One downstairs and one upstairs.
    The downstairs controls the hot water too.
    There is no other way for me to control the zones independently other than having two Nests.

If you have two thermostats, to control these separately you will need two Nests.

If you can have the upstairs heating on with the downstairs off or vice versa. You have two zones in your house. If it is all on or all off, you have one.

You can, in theory, have one installed downstairs only and have the upstairs controlled by the current thermostat you have. Which sort of defeats the purpose as it means you have to manually adjust the upstairs using your current thermostat and it would only heat upstairs if the downstairs is heating via nest but given the horror stories of the installs mentioned in this thread, it wouldn't surprise me if they did this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I'm with them but don't do direct debit. Do you have to sign up to direct debit to get it?

Advertisement