Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 - your car plans, expectations, etc.

• 01-01-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭
    Unregistered Users

Happy New Year everybody!

Now, my fears I expressed exactly a year ago became real, and I had to let my good old car go. It was replaced by the same brand, just 7 year younger equivalent, this time though not a bog spec one.

The plans are simple and obviously boring again - do just nothing bar service, wear and tear items and some minor improvements.

Your plans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Just operating on a 3 month tax regime until (hopefully) July when NCT is due. Not putting myself through that again-driving for an hour on motorway to get emissions through! I nearly hugged the NCT guy when it got through! Will keep my eye out for replacement 171 Audi A3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

My main plan for 2019 is to get my E46 back on the road:pac:! It's awaiting some diff bearing parts and then we should be good to go.

In fairness, I had very little trouble with the car in 2018, aside from the diff problem, it didn't need much outside of regular maintenance and plus a few wear and tear items.

Once it is back I want to sort out some rust, refurbish the wheels and get the interior detailed. Mechanically it's sorted, just an oil service and brake fluid are the only planned mechanical jobs this year (I'm sure since it's a BMW, it will have other ideas and something else will go in it :D).

I also want to do some other subtle upgrades; looking into angel eyes, chrome exhaust tips and LED number plate lights among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've been thinking about it for long enough... It's time to finally pull the finger out of my a*se and pull the trigger on a Golf GTI in 2019. I like driving and I like cars, so why the heck not!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Something interesting maybe and I'll be paying particular attention to vital spec essentials such as auto lights and auto wipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Trying to spend as little as possible on the Golf is the objective, diesel, tax and essential maintenance only and as I said before trying to avoid buying tat like pressed plates, wind reflectors, LED bulbs etc, I've never felt so drawn to them before as I did since the Golf arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chin up there Henry. I'm sure Ford will make a one off for you. After all, your their most devoted customer in the world. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Up my loud exhaust game and annoy my neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Keep the cruiser truckin' for another while.. will give it a full service and timing belt change next week, and have been upgrading lights to led where appropriate to bring it up to date a bit. Flew it's test last September and will do again in 2019 with any luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Something interesting maybe and I'll be paying particular attention to vital spec essentials such as auto lights and auto wipers.

As in a Mondeo? :D:D ( nice low mileage one coming for sale this year :pac::pac: )

Gonna be looking around at alternatives to diesel this time round.
    If all fruit fails it will be another diesel. But almost certainly going auto this time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:
    Chin up there Henry. I'm sure Ford will make a one off for you. After all, your their most devoted customer in the world.

Thanks. Enjoy your toys

• Advertisement

Thanks. Enjoy your toys

Oh I am.

bazz26 wrote:
    Oh I am.

Keep living the dream. Bazz Top Trumps 2019.

Keep living the dream. Bazz Top Trumps 2019.

Indeed. The car's handling is sweat too. ;)

bazz26 wrote:
    Indeed. The car's handling is sweat too.

The thought is admirable but unfortunately the spelling isn't.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Finally fix the leaky clutch slave cylinder seal and oil cables (the sparks spoil when not driven for a single day) on one of the minis.

May get the Z3 wrapped as I'm getting peeling lacquer in a couple of places. 270000kms so a nice little refresh

Earn more money so I can pay for all the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Get my Citroen BX back on the road. Maybe replace the Megane with something more family friendly, continue looking after the Avensis and maybe, just maybe get a six cylinder E46 If I've money left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Planning to keep my A6 running for another year anyway - 354,000 km on the clock now and still running strong. Due a service and needs a few bits sorted but nothing major.

Of course if I win the Euromillions tonight, plans will change.. 2019 fully specced A6/A8 would replace it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

My car plan 2019 ?

Win lotto , buy discovery 4 Landmark edition.

*This is only a plan, may not happen !

If that fails, keep current motor serviced regularly and keep her going until she does

284K Kms and counting !

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Of course if I win the Euromillions tonight, plans will change.. 2019 fully specced A6/A8 would replace it :)

If I won the euromillions I would be ordering an Audi sQ7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

The A4 will need tyres and a service around March. Then it will be eligible for its first NCT from July this year. First time I will ever have to NCT my car just because anything I bought previous came with a two year test and I never kept them long enough for it to expire :pac:

One thing that will annoy me is having to display the NCT disc just have the two discs atm and its neat and tidy having to add a third clutters the windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Put a reservation on ID Neo(Q1) and then hopefully preorder Q3 of 2019.....based on timelines from VW it will be delivered in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With the relative collapse of the price of petrol I fancy something with a bit of poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

antodeco wrote: »
    Finally fix the leaky clutch slave cylinder seal and oil cables (the sparks spoil when not driven for a single day) on one of the minis.

May get the Z3 wrapped as I'm getting peeling lacquer in a couple of places. 270000kms so a nice little refresh

Earn more money so I can pay for all the stuff!
    Lovely car,drove one when first out( friends) stuck to the road

Was looking to change,made a mistake ref roomwise when I bought current one,but sending my smallie to Oz in may so that's the changing car plan on hold, unless lady luck shines, great to have dreams anyway

I've been thinking about it for long enough... It's time to finally pull the finger out of my a*se and pull the trigger on a Golf GTI in 2019. I like driving and I like cars, so why the heck not!
    If u can afford it ,go for it,if do the same ref new car etc,good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

The 540:
    • Fix and Respray the entire car - January
    • Refurbish the wheels - January(ish/maybe)
    • Finally get the engine timing and Vanos sorted - Spring
    • Mini Suspension Refresh - Summer

Primera:
    • Set it on Fire when done with it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The list of stuff I would like to get done but will get sidetracked by some other banger that will pop up out of nowhere (I'm looking at that 607 :p)

Avensis: change the clutch, keep it well serviced etc

607: get it tested, use as daily driver and enjoy it :cool: until something catastrophic happens then back in the Avensis

Z: Change to classic tax sometime in June. Possibly change the colour of it too, time permitting. It also needs a ring gear and input/output seals in the gearbox (thanks to lying up outside instead of being in the car!) so maybe over the summer if I get the time at it along with the parts (ring gears are no longer made for the VG30DETT so that's a good start)

E34: Change to classic tax sometime in March. Between now and then gather as much service parts and perishables for it to have it test ready, along with a new exhaust

C220 D: Make a feeble attempt to shove it's new engine in, fail miserably and shove it back in the hedge

Seicento: Gather the 2 last remaining parts to begin this project that I already have no time for!

406: Goodness knows what I'll get done with this car this year. I have a D8A engine to one side I was hoping to do up, attach a GT23V and shove into the car ages ago, maybe this year...?

Classic tax?? ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I'm driving a 07 IS250 which I have had for the past 8 years.
    It has served me so well - In all that time, I have only had to replace the alternator.

I will be replacing her this year with a 142/151 IS300H.
    Car tax should be considerably lower with the Hybrid as well as my fuel bill.

Any IS300H owners out there? What is your experience of driving one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Hopefully sell the S3 and buy something more sensible, and by sensible i mean DSG/S tronic :D

Advertisement