Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

road_high wrote: »
    Because it’s not very forthcoming! There’s very soft public support amongst those who believe in bleeding the state dry but amongst the people paying the majority of taxes, support is evaporating once the true facts regarding salaries have been exposed.
    Watch that evaporate further once they continue with their holding of patient welfare and health hostage and patients begin to suffer further

No matter how hard the FG spin machine works to try to persuade people otherwise, the reality is that the nurses have overwhelming support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Because it’s not very forthcoming! There’s very soft public support amongst those who believe in bleeding the state dry but amongst the people paying the majority of taxes, support is evaporating once the true facts regarding salaries have been exposed.
    Watch that evaporate further once they continue with their holding of patient welfare and health hostage and patients begin to suffer further

I doubt that's true but it's still completely irrelevant to this discussion.
    Judging by print and social media there's a huge support base for nurses.
    I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary, except on boards.ie, which is by no means representative of the country. I'm open to links showing me wrong, but it's still irrelevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The public sector unions are so weaponised as they actually pose a threat to the stability of the country. Successive governments caving in to pay demands have created a monster that the rest of us have to bear.

Certain extreme pariah elements like the IMNO and ASTI continually use their positions as weapons in a war to get what they want- they have absolutely zero sense of responsibility to the state that pays their wages, or any sense of civic duty to protect the viability of the state. They absolutely do threaten the stability of the state

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 162 ✭✭David73

Sorry guys, we have an effective tax rate of 50%, if nurses hold us at gun point now and empty the coffers you can expect basic tax rate and use to rise. This is a smash and grab by a profession . Reality is, if these girls get their 12% , they'll still be back working in sh1te conditions the next morning, an extra hundred quid a week won't change the fact the hse and system is a total sh1tshow.

Thankfully a bit of sense at last.

Why are the Doctors crisis which is far greater than that of the whiney nurses being ignored??

I'll point out the elephant in the room, this strike has a total whiff of the MeToo movement and feninism about it. Just like the proposal to recruit more women as Professors, T.D's and to pay women more than men because they can make babies.

It's always the same rhetoric!

I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary, except on boards.ie, which is by no means representative of the country. I'm open to links showing me wrong, but it's still irrelevant here.

Of course it’s relevant- these are taxpayer funded positions! If there isn’t broad public support for nurses then the government can hold firm against their bullying tactics. Which is exactly what they are doing and rightly so in the interest of everyone in the state.

• Advertisement

Look at the 2nd post in this thread 105 likes for saying Nurses are paid enough already.

The problem is people are secretly against a nurses pay rise as they are paid enough as is, but too afraid to go against thefalsely created consensus!

Varta wrote: »
    No matter how hard the FG spin machine works to try to persuade people otherwise, the reality is that the nurses have overwhelming support.

They really don’t ! If they did the govt would have caved.
    Because it goes way beyond political parties despite PBP SF and all other looney tunes joining in the anarchy which is their raison detre.
    It doesn’t matter a damn whose in power- the exchequer can’t afford this pay demand. End of story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Certain extreme pariah elements like the IMNO and ASTI continually use their positions as weapons in a war to get what they want- they have absolutely zero sense of responsibility to the state that pays their wages, or any sense of civic duty to protect the viability of the state. They absolutely do threaten the stability of the state
    Asti got severely punished financially and did not get any of their reminds met. Other unions turned on them and one union stole their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

RTE report that a newly qualified nurse earns €29k. I have 2 years experience and am only now earning €30k

Gael23 wrote: »
    RTE report that a newly qualified nurse earns €29k. I have 2 years experience and am only now earning €30k

Show us your payslip or it never happened!

Gross or Net?
    Working full hours?
    Working unsociable hours?

• Advertisement

Lots of people I know start/started in office call centers on little over €20k. Graduates with honors degrees. This is very typical of the real world out there.
    If they’d striked they’d be out on their ear. What makes nurses more special than people like this?

David73 wrote: »
    Look at the 2nd post in this thread 105 likes for saying Nurses are paid enough already.

The problem is people are secretly against a nurses pay rise as they are paid enough as is, but too afraid to go against thefalsely created consensus!

Yep, and 70% of people said they'd vote for Peter Casey.
    Means nothing.

A falsely created consensus? Easy to say, impossible to prove.

Lots of people I know start/started in office call centers on little over €20k. Graduates with honors degrees. This is very typical of the real world out there.
    If they’d striked they’d be out on their ear. What makes nurses more special than people like this?

Nurses have a union.
    Nurses are essential to running the HSE. People aren't sitting on trolleys because call centres are understaffed.

Nurses have a union.
    Nurses are essential to running the HSE. People aren't sitting on trolleys because call centres are understaffed.

Also, People aren't sitting on trolleys because nurses are underpaid!

Also, People aren't sitting on trolleys because nurses are underpaid!
    Nurses conditions and pay are worse here that other countries.
    Nurses are leaving
    Wards are closed.
    People are on trolleys.

Nurses have a union.

Yes they use their position to hold the state to ransom alright.
    If only they had solutions to the trolly crisis- apart from continually adding to it with their strikes and archaic work practices!

Credit to jimgoose in the Now you're talking to a nurse.

Nurses in Ireland enjoy a starting salary considerably greater than the average graduate salary. Salaries also increase relatively quickly, broadly in-line with other public sector roles to and well beyond the average industrial wage. It is true that salaries are much higher in Australia, but everything is much higher in Australia because of the huge boom there at the moment, largely because of the eye-watering amount of money the Chinese are printing.

Bottom line: I put it to you that wage increases are the Wrong Thing(TM) and won't solve the actual problems of overwork and short-staffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Credit to jimgoose in the Now you're talking to a nurse.

Nurses in Ireland enjoy a starting salary considerably greater than the average graduate salary. Salaries also increase relatively quickly, broadly in-line with other public sector roles to and well beyond the average industrial wage. It is true that salaries are much higher in Australia, but everything is much higher in Australia because of the huge boom there at the moment, largely because of the eye-watering amount of money the Chinese are printing.

Bottom line: I put it to you that wage increases are the Wrong Thing(TM) and won't solve the actual problems of overwork and short-staffing.

The fact that the HSE is a black hole for money no matter how much money is thrown at it there's no difference to the service or the waiting list......hard to have any sympathy

If anything boards.ie is probably more on point due to it’s anonymity. People are reticent to publicly declare what they actually think due to the hysterical narrative the nursing unions have cultivated. Most people wouldn’t say what they actually think for fear of verbal attacks that they’d attract from the union mobs.

What positive steps do you think the government should make to increase the number of nurses in Irish hospitals, slow the amount of graduates leaving the country and entice foreign nurses here?

Bear in mind that nurses are actively poached by other countries like UAE, Australia, the UK and the continent.
    If anything boards.ie is probably more on point due to it’s anonymity. People are reticent to publicly declare what they actually think due to the hysterical narrative the nursing unions have cultivated. Most people wouldn’t say what they actually think for fear of verbal attacks that they’d attract from the union mobs.

If that's true then why isn't Peter Casey president?
    Voting was anonymous there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

David73 wrote:

You ll actually find the huge amounts of money printed is by the Australian banks in the form of credit, which is in fact pushing up housing prices in the country, it ll be interesting to see how soft their landing will be, maybe it ll be as soft as ours

wrangler wrote: »
    The fact that the HSE is a black hole for money no matter how much money is thrown at it there's no difference to the service or the waiting list......hard to have any sympathy

The nurses know that too and want a piece of the generous pie.

**** the patients, who cares if they are one of the highest paid in Europe (in line with economy) they still demand a wage increase despite signing up to a deal that is due to expire in a year.

Like a wage increase will improve conditions.

It's a total farce and the people supporting nurses and clueless to the nitty gritty of the facts.

What positive steps do you think the government should make to increase the number of nurses in Irish hospitals, slow the amount of graduates leaving the country and entice foreign nurses here?

Bear in mind that nurses are actively poached by other countries like UAE, Australia, the UK and the continent.

If that's true then why isn't Peter Casey president?
    Voting was anonymous there too.

Very good point

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Not to sound smart but do they not know roughly what the pay is when they sign up to be a nurse. What were they expecting ?

Can I ask what age you qualified at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I suppose we who vote are partly to balme. We elect the governments knowing full well they will repeat the process. But I dont see much of an appetite for change either

We’ve never had a Thatcher or Reagan here to smash the unions.

It bequeathed us a overpaid, overprotected and militant public sector.

This strike needs to be faced down.

Not to sound smart but do they not know roughly what the pay is when they sign up to be a nurse. What were they expecting ?

Head over to the AMA thread for that answer.
    Most 17 year olds don't look at pay scales before looking for jobs. To most 17 year olds a wage of 20k sounds fantastic!
    Many nurses were expecting adequately staffed wards and not getting burned out and depressed a year after graduating

Care to elaborate on how the NHS and US healthcare system have benefitted from Reagan and Thatcher, and how ordinary people are much better off?

Last time I checked, both were f*cked.

Head over to the AMA thread for that answer.
    Most 17 year olds don't look at pay scales before looking for jobs. To most 17 year olds a wage of 20k sounds fantastic!
    Many nurses were expecting adequately staffed wards and not getting burned out and depressed a year after graduating

Care to elaborate on how the NHS and US healthcare system have benefitted from Reagan and Thatcher, and how ordinary people are much better off?

Last time I checked, both were f*cked.

Sure you think 50 to 6ok is not a good wage and adament that nurses/ambulance drivers will never be paid enough!

Give the 300k and they'll still complain, talk about over valuing your job

Meanwhile the in debt Doctors that studied their balls of for 5 years start on 30k and have to increased pressure and have to do the nurses job in triage while the nurses are on strike smiling and giggling.

Absolute farce!

Sure you think 50 to 6ok is not a good wage and adament that nurses/ambulance drivers will never ne paid enough!

Give the 300k and they'll still complain

50 to 60k isn't a good wage, especially if it's at the top of the payscale, takes 15 years to get, and you need to put your mental and physical health on the line to get it.

I wouldn't begrudge any Irish nurse heading abroad for better opportunities. If you have a skill that's in high demand then make the most of it.

Doctors are in the sh*t for years, same as nurses, but they'll eventually move into GP and consultancies and outearn all of us. I fully support junior doctors in their own industrial action.

Would it make you feel better about yourself if nurses were crying on the picket?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Mwalshd2

Remind me again about the price of American healthcare. A country that also does not have midwives.

Advertisement