Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Divide and Conquer works great in Ireland. Meanwhile the politicians are getting another payrise in the coming weeks if I heard right.

They are. 1.75%. In September I think. As part of the public sector pay deal. Nurses are due to get the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

wat24 wrote: »
    Just for more clarity on deductions and tax this is my payslip for two weeks as I said before I’m six years qualified.

I hope you get the raise.
    You're on a losing battle with some on here no matter what you post. If you have a problem you're the problem seems to be the mantra. Beats doing anything about it.

I hope you get the raise.
    You're on a losing battle with some on here no matter what you post. If you have a problem you're the problem seems to be the mantra. Beats doing anything about it.

That's being entirely disingenuous.

I think nurses need to be well paid for the service they provide.
    If the average nurse earnings is 57K per annum, in my mind, that is well paid for the role.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Divide and Conquer works great in Ireland. Meanwhile the politicians are getting another payrise in the coming weeks if I heard right.

TDs are getting the exact same pay restoration as any similar public servant.

No extra.

People say "they voted themselves a pay rise" - they did not.

Their pay is linked to a civil service grade.

If that CS grade gets pay restoration, then so do TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

nurses should be paid one hundred billion dollars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

With regards overtime if I do a 13 hour shift as overtime during the week I get paid around an extra 160 euro so my wages would then be 700 for a 52 hour week working Monday-Saturday

Would 78 hours/ forthnight be standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

Would 78 hours/ forthnight be standard?

Ye full time contract is 39 hours a week so 78 hours would be in the fortnightly pay. There is a variety of contracts such as 20 hours 30 hours 34 hours but most newly qualified would be the 39 hour contract and it’s very difficult to get your hours reduced. One girl I worked with ending up leaving for a private hospital because when she came back from maternity leave she wanted to go from 39 hours to 30 hours a week and management wouldn’t allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

5 hrs to be seen by a doctor and another 2 to 2.5 hrs for the drugs to be administered. And only because I asked for them.

The elderly man next to me was left without his medication all night despite being seen by three junior doctors.
    Getting medication in a hospital isnt like ordering from Supermacs. The pharmacy department would have been busy preparing and dispensing medication for other ill patients and people who were seen before you.

Asking the doctor or nurse 100 times isn't going to speed up the other processes at work that you dont see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Ye full time contract is 39 hours a week so 78 hours would be in the fortnightly pay. There is a variety of contracts such as 20 hours 30 hours 34 hours but most newly qualified would be the 39 hour contract and it’s very difficult to get your hours reduced. One girl I worked with ending up leaving for a private hospital because when she came back from maternity leave she wanted to go from 39 hours to 30 hours a week and management wouldn’t allow it.

My company (not nursing) wouldn't allow it either.

Getting your hours reduced depends on the role. If the hospital has a role for a full time nurse, that's what they need. Taking on 2 people to split the hours between them would cost more and not meet their needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Just for more clarity on deductions and tax this is my payslip for two weeks as I said before I’m six years qualified.

Why did you not mention that you will be getting increases with each passing year as you move up the salary scale on top of additional increases coming as part of the over all public pay increases?

• Advertisement

My company (not nursing) wouldn't allow it either.

Getting your hours reduced depends on the role. If the hospital has a role for a full time nurse, that's what they need. Taking on 2 people to split the hours between them would cost more and not meet their needs.

Ye I agree with you there. The problem was they were finding it impossible to recruit anyone at the time so they lost very experienced staff that they couldn’t replace for the sake of a few hours. An awful lot of radiologists left our hospital for the same reason too but they managed to recruit more a lot easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

All these posts about pay scales and overtime. Overtime shouldn’t be brought into it . If there was enough nurses , they shouldn’t have to do overtime ...

salonfire wrote: »
    Why did you not mention that you will be getting increases with each passing year as you move up the salary scale on top of additional increases coming as part of the over all public pay increases?

I never denied that I was just stating what I’m personally on at the moment. The salary scales are on the inmo website showing the increments, once I reach the top of the scale in a few years I still won’t be near 55,000 which is being stated as the average. The big money is in management really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Getting medication in a hospital isnt like ordering from Supermacs. The pharmacy department would have been busy preparing and dispensing medication for other ill patients and people who were seen before you.

Asking the doctor or nurse 100 times isn't going to speed up the other processes at work that you dont see.

Funnily enough it did, when I got to talk to the one nurse that didn't grunt at me.
    Nurse: "The prescription is with the doctor"
    Me: "The doctor was with me hours ago, please check the prescriptions in the drug room"
    2 mins later:
    "Oh it's here, I'll get that filled for you"
    30mins later I get it in a cup on my trolley.

I'm not so self centered to think things will be instant for me, but there was no sense of urgency at all in the dept, for anyone.

When you can see staff chatting, joking and idling and arguing when you and your neighbours need attention it gets to you after a few hours. None of us were there for fun, we were there because we needed to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

hawkelady wrote: »
    All these posts about pay scales and overtime. Overtime shouldn’t be brought into it . If there was enough nurses , they shouldn’t have to do overtime ...

They'd go on strike if you took away their overtime too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Hmmm most companies have overtime.

I don’t get your point??

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Mad_maxx wrote:
    37 hours, average salary is 55k per annum not including overtime

That's a load of trot. Completely untrue.

professore wrote:
    The laundry room position will still be stuck down at that level several years hence.

And rightly so.

professore wrote:
    Not attacking nurses specifically but then they should become laundry room employees instead if it's so much better.

Why don't you make a sensible contribution?

Hmmm most companies have overtime.

I don’t get your point??

If there is a full compliment of staff in any company , there should be no need for ot .. but there isn’t a full compliment of nurses which is why agency nurses are being hired at €60+/hr to fill the gap.
    Granted there is ot expected for , let’s say, accountants coming towards the end of oct but I’m lead to believe ot is ongoing all year round in hospitals , it’s expected. I see the pna have said today that they are beginning their strike on Jan 30 by cutting out all overtime. Crazy times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

If there is a full compliment of staff in any company , there should be no need for ot .. but there isn’t a full compliment of nurses which is why agency nurses are being hired at €60+/hr to fill the gap.
    Granted there is ot expected for , let’s say, accountants coming towards the end of oct but I’m lead to believe ot is ongoing all year round in hospitals , it’s expected. I see the pna have said today that they are beginning their strike on Jan 30 by cutting out all overtime. Crazy times

Exactly but like 99% of companies there is overtime just like there is in hospitals.

Have you a solution?

Communitsm maybe?

Exactly but like 99% of companies there is overtime just like there is in hospitals.

Have you a solution?

Communitsm maybe?

No solution. What happens if a company loses 6 employees out of 30 and the md suggests the the remaining 24 staff pick up the workload by doing ot because he can’t recruit new staff !!!! Probably all we’ll and good in the beginning but after a year I can see the 24 becoming fairly upset

Going by the average, there isn't a full commitment of nurses because many of them aren't nursing because they have some form of nursing management roles.

The money is there. It's just being spent incorrectly through inefficient structures it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They should paid well for the 39 hours.

No overtime, just leads down the road of errors

And none of this f******ing martyr stuff about not getting a break

Organise breaks when they are due or as close as possible and take them

Truck drivers have to do similar :

Driver fatigue is a known risk factor in road collisions.

Fatigue can cause loss of concentration or, worse, lead to a driver falling asleep at the wheel. Fatigue is a significant factor in heavy commercial vehicle crashes.

EU law regulates the driving time of professional drivers using goods vehicles over 3.5t (including trailers) and passenger vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats.

The key requirements are that you must not drive:

Without a break for more than 4.5 hours. After driving for 4.5 hours, a break of at least 45 minutes is mandatory.
    You can distribute that break over the 4.5 hours by taking a 15 minute break followed by a 30 minute break.
    For more than nine hours per day or 56 hours per week.
    This may be extended to 10 hours no more than twice during a week
    More than 90 hours in two consecutive weeks

There are also strict regulations regarding the average working time and the amount of rest that must be taken daily and weekly.

Tachographs

Tachographs are instruments that measure the amount of time a driver is on the road.

Both are fitted in the cab of trucks and buses and are used to monitor compliance with driver hours’ legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

They should let them know the pay rates before they sign up to stop them becoming nurses and then not agreeing with the pay..........

They did and there wages were cut in the recession.

Femi, pension levy, unpaid Croke Park hours weren't there when they signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

Pay the nurses get staff. Where are the staff? They are not in Ireland. Recruit over seas. In Oz you have 4 patients to 1 nurse, care is great. In Ireland you have 10-12 patient to 1 nurse. I know who I want going after me.

kala85 wrote: »
    They did and there wages were cut in the recession.

Femi, pension levy, unpaid Croke Park hours weren't there when they signed up

What's your point?

Lots of people signed up to jobs and a salary. For many, the job disappeared altogether during the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

looking at payscales, some of the location allowances are solid kicks in the face. A couple of grand a year to work in a n A&E or a NICU is outrageous.

I'm guessing they're looking for general raises. Their salaries aren't great but striking is a ****ty thing to do. The government could take the angle of significantly increasing some of the allowances which would be a fair and reasonable thing to do, but would not seem like they can be dictated to by unions or seriously encourage strikes in other sectors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

salonfire wrote: »
    What's your point?

Lots of people signed up to jobs and a salary. For many, the job disappeared altogether during the recession.

The rates of pay changed. I'm just explaining yo the other poster that what they signed up for, they didnt get.

Yes other people were cut in the recession but a lot of jobs are back up again.

• Advertisement

looking at payscales, some of the location allowances are solid kicks in the face. A couple of grand a year to work in a n A&E or a NICU is outrageous.

I'm guessing they're looking for general raises. Their salaries aren't great but striking is a ****ty thing to do. The government could take the angle of significantly increasing some of the allowances which would be a fair and reasonable thing to do, but would not seem like they can be dictated to by unions or seriously encourage strikes in other sectors

There should be a decent location allowance given to all public sector workers in Dublin due to the cost of living there.

Advertisement