Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think nurses will get their payrise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

But she isn't bringing home 57k, as we have been told.

What kind of high-flying, problem-solving, go-getter professional are you, that you can't read properly ?

:D

Well duh, can you read yourself?-that’s why I pointed out you’d need close to 100k gross. Which even by some inflated nurses salary probably wouldn’t happen- but I wouldn’t bank on it either.

Commensurate, surely ?

I repeat my previous question...

:D

Wow we have a genius in our midst. Usually when people can’t address (or don’t want to) the arguments they revert to spell checking or simply trying to denigrate a poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The free gaff brigade, the pay rise claims, the growing number of people becoming eligible for the state pension, need for investment in public infrastructure- we are reaching a tipping point when it comes to the State being able to provide everything to everyone who wants it.

Might have to give that communism thing a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

road_high wrote: »
    Well duh, can you read yourself?-that’s why I pointed out you’d need close to 100k gross. Which even by some inflated nurses salary probably wouldn’t happen- but I wouldn’t bank on it either.

You'd need close to 100k to net 57k, by your estimation.

Since the person you quoted already told you his wife is not bringing home 57k, what was the point of your vacant musing ?

Trying to be too clever most likely, as befits this supercilious attitude...
    that’s what most of us in our professions do, see challenges and come up with ideas to solve them.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The free gaff brigade, the pay rise claims, the growing number of people becoming eligible for the state pension, need for investment in public infrastructure- we are reaching a tipping point when it comes to the State being able to provide everything to everyone who wants it.

And coming out of the worst recession ever.

People have short memories.

• Advertisement

Wow we have a genius in our midst. Usually when people can’t address (or don’t want to) the arguments they revert to spell checking or simply trying to denigrate a poster.

It's almost compulsory to denigrate this type of nonsense...
    why don’t go they go do something else? Even better still do not sign up to it in the first place.

If only you hadn't come along with the 'those of us in our professions (:o) see challenges and solve problems' drivel...

It’s coming very fast- the taxation levels are now stifling all initiative beyond a certain level, there’s barely enough revenue to pay the cost of running the state and service national debt. There’s not enough investment in infrastructure. Increasing public pay yet again will only increase all that and put us in more danger when we inevitably hit a downturn again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

is it the pay or the chaotic conditions which drives irish nurses abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've chatted to this with my wife a lot, as one may imagine.

I can see that nurses in general should be paid more, but I also understand that any pay increase would have a huge budget knock on, before any other PS workers make claims on the back of any increase.

We've also discussed, a lot, that the HSE is a bloated mess, with too many staff doing similar jobs because of jobs being held over between mergers, new builds etc. You could run the HSE very well on less overall staff by making dramatic decreases in admin and clerical staff where jobs are overstaffed or duplicated.

Look at the new childrens hospital - forget about the arguable mess of decision making in where it is being built and the build as designed - all the staff from the three hospitals that will be moving to it have jobs, if they want them, in the new place - at same/similar level and same pay. There is NO WAY that the same number of admin, executive or clerical staff is needed to run one (albeit bigger) site as were needed for the 3 individually. That is an example of costs that aren't needed, of wastage. (the number of nurses would likely need to stay the same (or very similar) as the number of beds matches (iirc) the total of the 3 hospitals).

It's almost compulsory to denigrate this type of nonsense...

If only you hadn't come along with the 'those of us in our professions (:o) see challenges and solve problems' drivel...

You’re pretty typical of anyone that dares question anything re public spending- this is taxpayers money here honey
    and damn right we should ask a few fetching questions that the likes of you won’t like or ever answer.
    And of course there should be solutions from nurses-they’re the ones there working and managing at the coal face. In any other normal profession people take personal responsibility and if things aren’t working they analyse them and look for solutions- but it seems with our “saintly nurses” you can’t dare question their performance, ways of working or salaries.

• Advertisement

is it the pay or the chaotic conditions which drives irish nurses abroad?

They are linked.

Staff leave because of poor conditions and pay --> Reducing staff levels and making conditions worse.

The HSE are trying to recruit but the positions are unattractive because the pay is low and the conditions poor. Remember they had some jobs fair a while back, 200 positions or something like that and didn't break double digits on hires. (could be way off, sorry if I am)

EDIT: Numbers were way off, sorry.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/just-115-nurses-at-hse-fair-interested-in-job-here-35411179.html

3 day fair, 115 nurses registered as interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Six percent is not a particularly high rate of turnover.

If working conditions are bad giving you more in your wage packet won't change that.

You’re pretty typical of anyone that dares question anything re public spending- this is taxpayers money here honey
    and damn right we should ask a few fetching questions that the likes of you won’t like or ever answer.
    And of course there should be solutions from nurses-they’re the ones there working and managing at the coal face. In any other normal profession people take personal responsibility and if things aren’t working they analyse them and look for solutions- but it seems with our “saintly nurses” you can’t dare question their performance, ways of working or salaries.

My wife is regularly put in charge of her ward, on days or nights, as she is the senior (by time) nurse - and will be in charge over 1 newly qualified nurse and 2 students - when their official numbers should be 5, for staff/patient ratios. So under staffed and not fully qualified staff at that. While she is in charge, taking responsibility for every patient on the ward and would be held accountable for any mistakes by the students, she is paid no more for that shift.

Please, tell me what she is supposed to do to fix this staffing/responsibility/pay issue. Complain to management? Done. No impact. Complain to the Union. Done. No impact. Write up incident reports every time? Done. No impact.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Six percent is not a particularly high rate of turnover.

If working conditions are bad giving you more in your wage packet won't change that.

More pay in the pay packet makes staying in ireland and working in ireland more attactive which means the roles they are looking to fill are filled, rather than seeing the majority of your newly qualified pediatric nurses go to England (as has happened the wife's hospital the last few years).

The low pay, particularly for newly qualified nurses, is a big part of the low staffing which is the main part of the conditions problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

gctest50 wrote: »
    What are these mysterious machines ?

Are you a child or something, do you need to be spoon fed everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

n97 mini wrote: »
    They will. When it's the PS vs the govt the PS always wins. They might not get all they are looking for, but they get more than they currently have.

I've several friends and relations working in the health service (and wider PS) and the common issue that's cited is part-time working. Since it was introduced in the PS is has made rostering in some areas very difficult. The health service seems to be the most impacted of all areas.

The problem with part-time working is not its availability to workers that need it, it is the failure of local management (mostly promoted nurses) to adequately manage it and ensure that rosters can be worked.

There is no automatic entitlement to part-time working and it is subject to business needs, but the failure of supervisors to adequately manage their sections within hospitals is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

More pay in the pay packet makes staying in ireland and working in ireland more attactive which means the roles they are looking to fill are filled, rather than seeing the majority of your newly qualified pediatric nurses go to England (as has happened the wife's hospital the last few years).

The low pay, particularly for newly qualified nurses, is a big part of the low staffing which is the main part of the conditions problems.

https://www.deutschland.de/en/topic/life/training-as-a-nurse-in-germany-duties-and-salary

They could go to Germany, where a newly qualified nurse gets paid €2,500 a month, €30k a year, and pays much higher personal taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

They can't get staff cause the wages are too low, far better money in England for example. Strugglign to bring in foreign staff (a backbone of the sector) for the same reason, many are going to Australia or America where possible cause the money is better.

There is a recruitment drive, and loads of positions available, but if your conditions aren't attactive you will struggle to fill the positions.

As for Union greed... lol. Nurses are woefully underpaid based on time to qualification, responsibilities and working hours. Nursing is an undervalued public service role.

The money in UK is less

The money in UK is less

Not according to the number of new qualified people that moved to Great Ormond Street, for example, in September of last year (when they finished their course).

I am a taxpayer.

I am not your 'honey'. I am Mr. Bicek to you.

No idea why you would be asking me questions about public spending.

As for...
    They’re a perfect example of when you get too many females working in one area...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109074625&postcount=99

What a silly misogynistic oaf you are.

• Advertisement

I am a taxpayer.

I am not your 'honey'. I am Mr. Bicek to you.

No idea why you would be asking me questions about public spending.

As for...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109074625&postcount=99

What a silly misogynistic oaf you are.
    He's partly right - the pyschiatric nurses union is far stronger and gets far more for their members, because (in the opinion of the wife and her colleagues) there are far more male nurses in the psychiatric area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

So it’s one out there is no problem retaining or hiring nurses?

Why are they lying?

He's partly right - the pyschiatric nurses union is far stronger and gets far more for their members, because (in the opinion of the wife and her colleagues) there are far more male nurses in the psychiatric area.

That's no excuse for making the generalised inference that he did.

So it’s one out there is no problem retaining or hiring nurses?

Why are they lying?

What are you saying here? This is a poorly constructed and hard to understand sentence.

"So it’s one out there is no problem retaining or hiring nurses?"

The INMO is a seperate union to Psychiatric nurses and their payscales, bonuses etc are different.

That's no excuse for making the generalised inference that he did.

Totally, I was more so poppin on his misogynistic comment with a fairer comment that uses the same jumping off point without being sexist and demeaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Greed?? Their argument is that because of the low wages, that nurses are qualifying here and going abroad for a better package leading to nurse shortages. The ones that are here do amazing work. They are doing the opposite of what most public workers did, ask for pay raises and telling the bosses to pay new recruits less. They deserve every penny they get. You could have all the doctors you want, but without nurses, hospitals won't function.

This is not a problem that can be easily solved, especially since one pays no income tax in the UAE and tax rates are lower in places like the UK, Canada, the US or Australia.

Perhaps we should look at giving the middle class a tax break and maybe try and make sure, that others pay their fair share (Looking at the 40% of workers who pay no income tax at all)

Regardless, nursing is a good profession to be in. It is a lot more professional now and you will never be out of a job, plus you can work pretty much anywhere in the world. We live in a global labour market now. Engineers, Finance and IT guys were the first to grab that bull by the horns, now its nurses and teachers the following suit. Even Irish trained Gardai can move away and get work abroad.

We need to think a little more creatively to attract talent to this country and the most obvious one is the tax system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

backspin. wrote: »
    I think they are paid reasonably well as it is. There is a pay agreement in place at the moment anyway.

I wouldn’t agree they are well paid, a nurse with five years experience is on about €38k. Throw in a shift bonus and it still wouldn’t clear €40k. For someone with a degree and the amount of s**t they have to put up with it’s not very well paid at all.

Having said that the job hasn’t changed since they decided to go into nursing. The argument that they don’t get as well paid as the other professions in hospitals is invalid too, they knew that going into it. They’re claiming it’s about patient welfare but them on more pay isn’t going to make more of them, it’s be the exact same care they’re delivering

It’s impossible to see how the government can give in, Brexit is on our doorstep, bend here and all the pay agreements are out the window, teachers, civil servants, guards will all be out on strike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Not according to the number of new qualified people that moved to Great Ormond Street, for example, in September of last year (when they finished their course).

Compared to a new entrant nurse in the English NHS, a new entrant nurse in Ireland earns 21 per cent more in basic pay based on current exchange rates. While allowances and promotional opportunities differ across jurisdictions, a nurse at the top of the HSE staff nurse scale would earn 39 per cent more than a nurse at the top of the NHS England B and 5 scale.

“More broadly, OECD nursing remuneration data show that, in purchasing power parity terms, Irish nursing pay (including allowances and premium payments) between 2007 and 2017 was consistently on a par with Australia and higher than New Zealand, Canada and the UK,” notes the spending review.

It also maintains that 82 per cent of all nurses and midwives are on basic salaries of more than €40,000 exclusive of allowances or premium payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

NSAman wrote: »
    That is IF they do that. The problem is (and this is from ACTUAL personal experience) they DO NOT do that.

18 years looking after our father at home, washing, cleaning, shaving, feeding him as he was totally incapacitated. Never a bed sore, always happy, always fed.

3 weeks in hospital, 3 bed sores, lost weight and the nurses actually faught us, when we took it in turns to feed him, change him and care for him properly. He was not turned by them, we found out his food was left on the table and no one fed him and he was not washed and left in his own **** for hours on end... yep all nurses are angels... NOT.

Yep, and that's why they're striking.

Understaffed and not able to give the correct level of care.

Paid so little that no one wants to do the job. Nurses leaving in droves. African and asian nurses with questionable credentials and poor language skills who probably can't get work in a higher paying country coming in.

There's hardly a ward in the country thats fully staffed. Plenty of closed wards because they don't have the nurses to run them.

• Advertisement

Compared to a new entrant nurse in the English NHS, a new entrant nurse in Ireland earns 21 per cent more in basic pay based on current exchange rates. While allowances and promotional opportunities differ across jurisdictions, a nurse at the top of the HSE staff nurse scale would earn 39 per cent more than a nurse at the top of the NHS England B and 5 scale.

“More broadly, OECD nursing remuneration data show that, in purchasing power parity terms, Irish nursing pay (including allowances and premium payments) between 2007 and 2017 was consistently on a par with Australia and higher than New Zealand, Canada and the UK,” notes the spending review.

It also maintains that 82 per cent of all nurses and midwives are on basic salaries of more than €40,000 exclusive of allowances or premium payments.

How do the working conditions compare ?

Advertisement