Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I've googled, and I've read, and i'm still not clear, but can this be played 100% single player? I have no interest in the MP, and they're claiming it can be played SP, but they said Destiny was SP also, and it was, you just couldn't get the good stuff without other people. So it wasn't.

It's not doing anything for me so far. Got burned with Destiny 1, didn't give Destiny 2 a go as enough people were telling me it wasn't an improvement. I do like that the original ME/DA devs are behind this, gives me some hope, but definitely won't be day 1, most likely not at all tbh.

From what I’ve seen it’s more rewarding to play in a squad than solo. You can still play solo but you might find some parts more difficult. I think the beta will allow people to play with each of the four classes and will give in game currency to use towards customisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

From what I’ve seen it’s more rewarding to play in a squad than solo. You can still play solo but you might find some parts more difficult. I think the beta will allow people to play with each of the four classes and will give in game currency to use towards customisation.

Same as Destiny then, so that's a skip from me! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

heh.. when i played Destiny 2, i felt they took a lot from Warframe.. This just looks like Destiny and Warframe mashed together... :pac:

They would want to have a lot of end game content from the get go, which being an EA game, it's very doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

nix wrote: »
    heh.. when i played Destiny 2, i felt they took a lot from Warframe.. This just looks like Destiny and Warframe mashed together... :pac:

They would want to have a lot of end game content from the get go, which being an EA game, it's very doubtful.

Agreed, I have my doubts now. Shame.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think it looks great. I'll play it mostly solo like most games, but not issues with teaming up if the matchmaking is solid.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I think it looks great. I'll play it mostly solo like most games, but not issues with teaming up if the matchmaking is solid.

Same here, played the alpha and thought it was good

Information about the Javlin choices. For anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I'm sold already for PC. Did any of the Alpha players play on PC with Keyboard and mouse or do you need a controller?

Looks identical to Destiny 2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I'm sold already for PC. Did any of the Alpha players play on PC with Keyboard and mouse or do you need a controller?

I used KB and mouse, will probably stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

KB & Mouse was awful during the alpha, it was a common issue people complained about.

They worked on it since though. There's a recent stream with 1 of them using kb & mouse and they were speaking about how they've improved it.

If I do get it, I will be using a controller. It just looks like a controller would fit well. For PvE I wonder will the game offer cross play.

I never understand how developers manage to get something so basic wrong. It's been the exact same control scheme for decades.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Seen plenty of footage of KB & mouse,looks fine.

Looks identical to Destiny 2

I despise EA, they will get people suckered in and then start the gouging once a substantial player base is formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I despise EA, they will get people suckered in and then start the gouging once a substantial player base is formed.

in a games service model?

How does that work?

Ubisoft are the same. Two of the worst companies in the gaming industry. You only have to go back to 2017 when EA announced Anthem at E3. Then they delayed the game because they had built a complex micro transaction into the game and they had to backtrack to remove it. To try a drum up interest and sales they announced that there would no longer be micro transactions.

ZiabR wrote: »
    Ubisoft are the same. Two of the worst companies in the gaming industry. You only have to go back to 2017 when EA announced Anthem at E3. Then they delayed the game because they had built a complex micro transaction into the game and they had to backtrack to remove it. To try a drum up interest and sales they announced that there would no longer be micro transactions.

Found this on reddit in relation to microtransactions

1. Anthem will not have loot boxes.
    2. Anthem will not have pay to win (pay for power).
    3. Anthem will have cosmetic microtransactions that are direct purchases (you buy what you want but they can still be obtained in the game).
    4. Anthem will allow you earn cosmetics through the game via playing or doing hard missions (ie. Killing a boss to earn a vinyl).
    5. Anthem will not have a season pass.
    6. Anthem story dlc will be free so the player base is not split.
    7. New javelins in the future, however, may cost money; this is not confirmed yet.
    8. Anthem javelin customization is not a one-time use like destiny 2 shaders; you can use your coloring schemes, vinyls, etc. as much as you'd like

Seems like a pretty reasonable model. Obviously we'll have to wait and see, but after the Battlefront 2 fiasco, they seem a bit more wary of blatant abuse of microtransactions. BF5 seems pretty reasonable, so i'd assume it'll be something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A season pass without story DLC is interesting. Wonder if it will be a Fortnite style thing.

• Advertisement

Found this on reddit in relation to microtransactions

1. Anthem will not have loot boxes.
    2. Anthem will not have pay to win (pay for power).
    3. Anthem will have cosmetic microtransactions that are direct purchases (you buy what you want but they can still be obtained in the game).
    4. Anthem will allow you earn cosmetics through the game via playing or doing hard missions (ie. Killing a boss to earn a vinyl).
    5. Anthem will not have a season pass.
    6. Anthem story dlc will be free so the player base is not split.
    7. New javelins in the future, however, may cost money; this is not confirmed yet.
    8. Anthem javelin customization is not a one-time use like destiny 2 shaders; you can use your coloring schemes, vinyls, etc. as much as you'd like

That list could not be any further from the original plan for the game in 2017. Its not a move that EA wanted to do, it is a move EA were forced to do. If they pushed on with the original plan, they game would have sold 10 copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ZiabR wrote: »
    That list could not be any further from the original plan for the game in 2017. Its not a move that EA wanted to do, it is a move EA were forced to do. If they pushed on with the original plan, they game would have sold 10 copies.

Do you have a link to this original plan? I remember them saying what Eoin posted alright but not what your eluding to.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Do you have a link to this original plan? I remember them saying what Eoin posted alright but not what your eluding to.

I will try to dig it up for you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A season pass without story DLC is interesting. Wonder if it will be a Fortnite style thing.

There is no season pass.

Not at launch anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

theres some beta this weekend i think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes. If you pre-order you get into the beta this weekend. It's more of a demo really.

The following weekend is open to everyone. So if you are on the fence i'd suggest trying it out then.

Assuming Origin Premier gets the beta as well?

Kiith wrote: »
    Assuming Origin Premier gets the beta as well?
    Origin Premier gets the the vip demo this Friday, open demo on February 1st and Early Access on February 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I think there may be a conflation of events here..

Back in January 2017, news broke that the game, which was originally scheduled for release in the Fall of 2018, would be pushed back to early 2019. Realistically this would mean before the end of March since that would align with the end of EA's fiscal year. As part of the article on this, however, a source was quoted as saying...
    The “fall 2018” window mentioned during that E3 announcement was “never realistic,” ...

Fast forward to April and Patrick Söderlund has just been made Chief Design Officer when he gives an interview to The Verge. As part of this he remarks...
    “I’d be lying to you if I said that what’s happened with Battlefront and what’s happened with everything surrounding loot boxes and these things haven’t had an effect on EA as a company and an effect on us as management,” he explains. “We can shy away from it and pretend like it didn’t happen, or we can act responsibly and realize that we made some mistakes, and try to rectify those mistakes and learn from them.”

“We have taken significant steps as a company to review and understand the mechanics around monetization, loot boxes, and other things in our games before they go to market,” he says. “For games that come next, for Battlefield or for Anthem, [players have] made it very clear that we can’t afford to make similar mistakes. And we won’t.” Microtransactions will be added back to Battlefront II starting next week, but will only include cosmetic items.

So while I don't doubt that the fallout from BF2 has had an affect on whatever monetization system Anthem was going to have, it's simply not accurate to say whatever retooling which took place is the cause of the shift in release date.

As an aside, there's a Reddit post from Technical Design Director on the project, Brenon Holmes, where he says that the issue of micro-transactions is "an ongoing discussion". Note, this post was made in October 2017 which was before the release of Battlefront 2 and the subsequent furore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I thought I had shared this already but I thought it give a nice overview of the Demo. We should be able to preload in the next two days.

Anthem // VIP & OPEN DEMO! How To Access Anthem Demo, Early Access & More!

Advertisement