Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was the fcuking big deal about the Sopranos?

• 12-01-2019 2:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭

Dare I say, how did it end up being considered the best show of all time by so many. Is it just that anything about mafia is always considered good tv? Do people pretend to like to look cool... like the way people pretend to think Brando was a good actor. I can't say I've watched the entire series from start to finish. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

I get that there's the shock factor of the way they just murder some poor innocent fellow or the street and then laugh about. I mean that would grab anyone's attention, but it doesn't make it good drama. Especially when you always know who's going to get killed. When Christopher kicked the **** out of a fella in acting the acting class, I could see it coming a mile away.

I can a lot of people who know me well telling me "you'd definitely like it". All I think to myself is "you're so poor at understanding people if you don't if see that someone like me wouldn't be into that".

NOTE TO MODS - PLEASE REMOVE THAT POLL QUESTION. I DIDN'T PUT IT THERE

Mod Poll(op no input) 247 votes

Sopranos is best TV.
    0%
    I'm an idiot who knows nothing.
    100%
    VenomRasTaShredChongDyrChips LovelliggyLinogei71jskz5xu42pbMyPeopleDrankTheSoupjoblessdellyFatherTed[Deleted User]Brian?squrmslegsblahleggoSeanW 247 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Because it’s absolutely brilliant... simples

Bada Bing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

I take it by this statement you're not a fan of The Wire either. In which case you have no business commenting on what's good or bad TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Galdofinis consistently amazing acting across the dozens of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

It's a matter of taste and preference clearly a lot of people consider it great tv me included.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

“You look like a Puerto Rican whore.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Great theme tune too

https://youtu.be/YDDkCiUhHCc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You have to get into it and its characters like with every other show. Rewatched Sopranos about a year ago and loved it even more than the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

I take it by this statement you're not a fan of The Wire either. In which case you have no business commenting on what's good or bad TV.

Ha. Amen to that in my view. The Sopranos was a very good TV drama, the Wire is something else again. Best thing I've ever seen, or expect to see on TV or film.

If you don't like those shows, what would your version of good TV drama be ? Generic crap like CSI/Law and Order etc ? Mush like Downtown Abbey perhaps ?

Most mainstream TV drama is awful, which is why shows like the Wire and the Sopranos stand out. Honourable mentions to Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Line of Duty, Narcos and Peaky Blinders (in no particular order as they say.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dare I say, how did it end up being considered the best show of all time by so many. Is it just that anything about mafia is always considered good tv? Do people pretend to like to look cool... like the way people pretend to think Brando was a good actor. I can't say I've watched the entire series from start to finish. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

I get that there's the shock factor of the way they just murder some poor innocent fellow or the street and then laugh about. I mean that would grab anyone's attention, but it doesn't make it good drama. Especially when you always know who's going to get killed. When Christopher kicked the **** out of a fella in acting the acting class, I could see it coming a mile away.

I can a lot of people who know me well telling me "you'd definitely like it". All I think to myself is "you're so poor at understanding people if you don't if see that someone like me wouldn't be into that".

What do you consider good TV so?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Op why not give it a watch to see what the big deal is about it instead of asking here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Women without Makeup

trashcan wrote: »
    If you don't like those shows, what would your version of good TV drama be ? Generic crap like CSI/Law and Order etc ? Mush like Downtown Abbey perhaps ?
    Nip/Tuck and The Mentalist.

I liked Mad Men just a little bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

No, it's called having taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Never watched it, and have been considering it based on its reputation, but I don't know if I want to watch eighty-six episodes about Mafia gangsters.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Move along fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

OP obviously never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's all deep and ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It's the combination of great characters, script, and consistently brilliant acting. And James Gandolfini was an absolute genius.

Back to watching Home & Away for you, OP! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

First episode of the Supranos is 20 years old now. I think it still stands up as a great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You didn’t like it. Fine. There’s no requirement to. But you seem just as annoyed at people liking the show. Which is odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

bnt wrote: »
    Never watched it, and have been considering it based on its reputation, but I don't know if I want to watch eighty-six episodes about Mafia gangsters.

It's not about Mafia gangsters, it's actually a family drama.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think you are totally missing the point of the show as well. It shows us that even the most ruthless, horrible people going are still human at the end of the day, often very likeable in fact. Plus we often tend to forget that even the worst people have mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, kids, or whatever, as well as somewhat 'normal' social lives, interests, problems, needs, etc outside of the job.

Everyone in the show had depth. Aside from James Gandolfini, I always think of Bobby, he's a made man and he extorts, blackmails, even murders in the show, but he's quite shy, reserved, doesn't cheat on his wife like the others and is obsessed with model trains.

Plus it was fascinating for people to find themselves actually rooting for the violent, aggressive, misogynistic thug with very few redeemable qualities outside of his charm that was Tony Soprano. It's what made Love/Hate so successful here, pretty much the same format - Nidge is pretty much an homage to Tony and portrayed in the exact same way.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    First episode of the Supranos is 20 years old now. I think it still stands up as a great show.
    In comparison to the **** there's been since, that wouldn't be too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I see. So there have been no decent TV shows made in the 20 years since?

Plus it was fascinating for people to find themselves actually rooting for the violent, aggressive, misogynistic thug
    Yeah it just shows how stupid people are.

I'm not dumb enough to root for a murderer just because he cries when his tomatoes don't grow! Stupid Soprano fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think you are totally missing the point of the show as well. It shows us that even the most ruthless, horrible people going are still human at the end of the day, often very likeable in fact. Plus we often tend to forget that even the worst people have mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, kids, or whatever, as well as somewhat 'normal' social lives, interests, problems, needs, etc outside of the job.

Everyone in the show had depth. Aside from James Gandolfini, I always think of Bobby, he's a made man and he extorts, blackmails, even murders in the show, but he's quite shy, reserved, doesn't cheat on his wife like the others and is obsessed with model trains.

Plus it was fascinating for people to find themselves actually rooting for the violent, aggressive, misogynistic thug with very few redeemable qualities outside of his charm that was Tony Soprano. It's what made Love/Hate so successful here, pretty much the same format - Nidge is pretty much an homage to Tony and portrayed in the exact same way.

You know, I never really did root for Tony ever. I found the character fascinating of course but my opinion of him remained low throughout. The interest for me was in the show slowly revealing the depths of what a lowlife he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yeah it just shows how stupid people are.

I'm not dumb enough to root for a murderer just because he cries when his tomatoes don't grow! Stupid Soprano fans

What a strange and stupid comment. You obviously have totally missed the point of this show, so you should probably go and watch something that you enjoy, rather than something you clearly don't.

I hear Neighbours is better than Home and Away these days

Nidge is pretty much an homage to Tony and portrayed in the exact same way.
    Another stupid show. I could see it a MILE away that the guards would NOT be the ones to take down Nidge. I could see it a mile away.

A FCUKING MILE AWAY!

Slow Saturday afternoon, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

At the time it was great. It was before we were blessed with dozens of brilliant series at our fingertips at all times. If someone sits down to watch it now having not watched it at all it probably won't have aged well.

Advertisement