Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was the fcuking big deal about the Sopranos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"When I came in to open up one morning, there you were with your head half in the toilet. Your hair was in the toilet water... disgusting."

Christopher's intervention scene was A1 television.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Buddha Of Suburbia

I think you are totally missing the point of the show as well. It shows us that even the most ruthless, horrible people going are still human at the end of the day, often very likeable in fact. Plus we often tend to forget that even the worst people have mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, kids, or whatever, as well as somewhat 'normal' social lives, interests, problems, needs, etc outside of the job.
    This is what I find strange in how people liked the show! How is that interesting? It'd be kind of bizarre if criminals didn't have these common struggles. I mean, did you expect them to have come from another planet?
    Plus it was fascinating for people to find themselves actually rooting for the violent, aggressive, misogynistic thug with very few redeemable qualities outside of his charm that was Tony Soprano. It's what made Love/Hate so successful here, pretty much the same format - Nidge is pretty much an homage to Tony and portrayed in the exact same way.
    Yeah, women take the bait for that kind of a plot all the time. Were you rooting for him? I certainly wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm an idiot who knows nothing.
    I never rooted for Tony. I never rooted for any of them. I loved the show, though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Absolutely 100% spot on.

FB-IMG-1558354864900.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I always liked it for the stark juxtaposition it displays between the mafioso culture and the everyday banality of human existence. It ends up being a deconstruction of a particular power fantasy, kind of like how Goodfellas is about that same fantasy collapsing around the characters.

You can extract from it a criticism on the expectations placed on men to be this Gary Cooper archetype but even the men who aspire to that model are often broken inside. The Mafia plot is just the narrative model used to explore that ****. It was a show about the idea of "toxic masculinity" before that phrase became so eye-rollingly over used and its lessons are broadly appliable to normal folk as well.

It's not flawless though and it never made much sense that Melfi didn't know what a sociopath was, and the forced drama with Chris and some others was clearly about dragging things past the point it needed to finish. I also much preferred Deadwood and wish that got it's fourth season instead of this movie thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Absolutely 100% spot on.

****ing Jamal Ginsberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Dare I say, how did it end up being considered the best show of all time by so many. Is it just that anything about mafia is always considered good tv? Do people pretend to like to look cool... like the way people pretend to think Brando was a good actor. I can't say I've watched the entire series from start to finish. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

'k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watched the first season as a boxset under pressure from a friend, who was addicted. I would give a nod to what I thought was quality writing but I really did not take to nor like any of the characters. Their violence and sheer unpleasantness put me right off. The Wire, on the other hand, was full of all kinds of people, extraordinary writing and some very strong themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The sopranos ended way back on 2007, so unless somebody has just discovered it for the 1st time?
    Or is this about a new 2019 remake?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The Dreams' and their sequences were really well done. Ask Annette Bening.

I thought the transposition of the character of a mafia mob boss to an everyman living in a middle class district of America was sublime. Carmella's subplots were hilarious, especially when she started crushing Furio.

When you get into the intricacies of the character development, like say Paulie's fear of mysticism. it is truly a great show.

Anyone who hasn't watched it because they think it is an American Crime Drama about the mafia are really missing out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

IAMAMORON wrote: »

I thought the transposition of the character of a mafia mob boss to an everyman living in a middle class district of America was sublime. Carmella's subplots were hilarious, especially when she started crushing Furio.

When you get into the intricacies of the character development, like say Paulie's fear of mysticism. it is truly a great show.

Anyone who hasn't watched it because they think it is an American Crime Drama about the mafia are really missing out.

Don't like the show..i think it's overated in the sane way as the Godfather dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Got the culchie red lobster style suntan from the last few weeks working outside so currently inside the dark giving it the yearly binge watch again thanks to the bump. On season 2 with this

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

IAMAMORON wrote: »

The episode where his mother goes into a home, where she has to deal with the high schoolesque social structure and Paulie tries to deal with it by threatening the sons of his mothers rivals is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Can I just say I’m almost kinda glad Game of Thrones fell flat on its face at the very end. Means Sopranos will be the GOAT for another decade at least

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

It was okay-ish, I guess. But absolutely brilliant compared to "Game of Thrones". I really don't get the hype with that programme at all. Tried watching an episode once; I lasted about 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Best TV show ever - by some

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The Sopranos is a great tv show that has a very high chance of being liked by almost anyone. The guy who put you in the direction of the sopranos was completely in the right to believe there was a high chance you'd like it.

It's not even like Game of Thrones or Sparticus where there's wanton violence, sex, rape and "that sort of carry on". The violence and deaths in the sopranos are pretty mild, they're like your typical death scene, very rarely anything gory or gratuitous. Even Breaking Bad was worse or about the same.

You suspect that people only like it because it's about gangs and the mafia? Well in your imagination everyone can be an idiot great, but don't confuse it with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

I got about 6 episodes in and gave up. Boring as was another overrated show Breaking Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

It's an incredible show, my personal favourite of all time and one that my wife and I re-watch on an almost yearly basis having watched it when it was on at the time. My sister in law watched it daily for about 3 or more years, and I mean every day :eek:

I know hype can ruin things for some people but I think if you can let that stuff wash over you and just take something on its merits you'll be much better off.

smilerf wrote: »
    I got about 6 episodes in and gave up. Boring as was another overrated show Breaking Bad

Can you name some tv shows you enjoy(ed)?

• Advertisement

Don't like the show..i think it's overated in the sane way as the Godfather dross.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Beautifully directed.
    Tragic and funny.
    Themes of family, work, love, friendship, betrayal, masculinity etc etc etc.

The mother-son relationship between Tony and Livia in the first two seasons is amazing alone, from the first time we see him visit as the dutiful son to his therapy sessions defending her "my muddah was a saint!" despite clear ambivalence about her.

Unfortunately this realtionship wasnt explored as the brilliant actress playing Livia died of cancer IIRC.
    "It's all a big nothing..."

Admittedly I found it dragged in later seasons a bit but still there aren't many shows like it since IMO. From Manson Lamps to Uncle Junior and his appallingly funny one-liners there were some truly memorable characters.

Can you name some tv shows you enjoy(ed)?
    Are you just looking for a show to ridicule? People don't like or "get" TV shows or films. It all depends on personal preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Shred wrote: »
    It's an incredible show, my personal favourite of all time and one that my wife and I re-watch on an almost yearly basis having watched it when it was on at the time.

Its a very good series with top notch writing and acting but there's a severe lack of WTF unforgettable moments which Bbad and GOT have in abundance.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are you just looking for a show to ridicule? People don't like or "get" TV shows or films. It all depends on personal preferences.

No I'm ****ing not. I'm asking what shows he/she enjoyed because I'm curious. **** off.

The OP is obviously a troll. I'm trying to make the most of the thread. I'm trying to ask a simple question on what shows this person enjoys, if they don't like those shows surely I can ask what shows they do like? Do you have a problem with that?

Why would you come in and ask me that. Get a life and stop trolling.

No I'm ****ing not. I'm asking what shows he/she enjoyed because I'm curious. **** off.

The OP is obviously a troll. I'm trying to make the most of the thread. I'm trying to ask a simple question on what shows this person enjoys, if they don't like those shows surely I can ask what shows they do like? Do you have a problem with that?

Why would you come in and ask me that. Get a life and stop trolling.

Post reported

Post reported

Hahaha.

Why do you have a problem with me asking what shows a person liked? It's just a stupid question.

I clicked on the report button to report your post that was fishing for an argument out of nothing but I doubt it would have succeeded so I didn't.

Post reported

You would get so whacked in Sopranos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You would get so whacked in Sopranos

Yeah, Snitches get stitches :cool:

• Advertisement

Greyfox wrote: »
    Its a very good series with top notch writing and acting but there's a severe lack of WTF unforgettable moments which Bbad and GOT have in abundance.

Hey listen, BB is a very, very close second for me. But I don't agree there's a lack of WTF moments; there's
    Ralfie with the young stipper and how his arc ends, Janice & Richie, Tony killing Christopher, the fight between Tony and Bobby to name just a few off the top of my head and each one was earned

Advertisement