Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The war on meat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

gozunda wrote: »
    So you read about the investor I detailed? The devil rides that train! Ever hear about ethical consumerism? Its highly processed junk food. The investors see an opportunity to make money out of the gullible imo ..

I suppose the Saudi can ask his fellow investors Tyson Foods for some ethical advice

Perhaps instead of lashing gay people with whips, they can be more humane and use a stun gun instead

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah, another AH hate wankfest on something "liberal".
    It's like Pavlov now, isn't it?
    Just put traveler, liberal, vegan, refugee or feminist into the thread title and watch the monkeys dance.
    Well, have fun you guys.

How is forcing a certain diet or lifestyle on others 'liberal'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Oh give it a rest, for the last time, I’m not vegan. Many people are disillusioned with mass production of meat, that mostly goes to waste.

More so, I find your statements about vegans having agendas and spreading propaganda to be an apt description for yourself.

You are a farmer, and every thread that pops up that you think is going to threaten your likelihood you’re all over like a rash, because you’re the one with the agenda!

I have one person on boards on ignore and looking at your last few posts I bet that’s who your replying to. He/she is in every single thread concerning veganism or anything to do with the benefits of a plant based diet. So much so I’d say there’s two people using that account. Posting at all hours. Clearly working for bord bia or the dairy industry.

Either that or they should be in the second series of ‘you’ on Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I ain't changing my diet because people can't curb overbreeding. If anything the world should be encouraging the reduction of the world's population.

Was reading recently that by 2050 India will have 1.7 billion people and they reckon the country won't even be able to hold that many people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Blaizes wrote: »
    Was reading recently that by 2050 India will have 1.7 billion people and they reckon the country won't even be able to hold that many people!

They won't eat cows tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Just put traveler, liberal, vegan, refugee or feminist into the thread title and watch the monkeys dance.

There are none of those things in the thread title though..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Saw a very good documentary on this very subject a few years ago, it was called Cowspiracy, worth a look.

That was called out for what it was years ago which was nonsense. A documentary full of lies to reel in gullible fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭emaherx

Links not working.

People need to stop comparing cows to cars. Cows are part of the natural carbon cycle. Cows eat grass and release carbon into the atmosphere, grazing grass stimulates it to grow and actively growing grass removes more carbon from the atmosphere compared to mature grass that has gone to seed.

Grass fed cows can only release carbon which was stored in the grass which In any case is carbon that was relatively recently removed from the atmosphere.

Cars on the other hand mostly burn dino juice which is releasing carbon that had been stored in the ground for millions of years and has not been part of any natural carbon cycle for a very long time. Not to mention the plastics and carbon footprint of manufacturing, maintaining and end of life destruction of the car.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Are they that blind? The problem is not meat consumption. The place is way too over populated.

Divide by 2.

Nice knowing you, don't forget to close the door on your way out :)

Does it suit your farmer agenda? Also, does every single one of your posts contain the words ‘vegan agenda’ or ‘vegan propaganda’ ...if not a rolls eyes smiley? Because you sure do go on, and on...any threads on boards about meat or vegans, that’s where you’ll be found!

Do you ever listen to the nonsense vegans come out with? Someone has to try and talk sense to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Just put a nice steak on the pan after reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I ain't changing my diet because people can't curb overbreeding. If anything the world should be encouraging the reduction of the world's population.

Reduction suggests putting people to death of course!. The global population will rise until death and birth rates match, the fertility rate is dropping quickly now but it'll be end of the century before equaibrium is achieved as the average lifespan increases.

pconn062 wrote: »
    It would, but we simply can't have a mature conversation about the enviroment and meat eating in this country. All you'll get is stupid jokes and unthinking comments. We're so far behind other countries when it comes to tackling these issues, it's laughable. People won't even consider reducing their meat consumption slightly, despite the massive effect large scale farming has on the enviroment. Something will have to change though, and most likely it will have to be forced on us.

Maybe you should check out what large scale farming really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

So I put in Lamb 1 to 2 times a week (which I don't eat - it's more 1 or 2 times a month but anyway) and it said over an entire year of consumption it's 'like taking 1 return flight from London to Malaga' - so why aren't we telling people to cut back on foreign holidays, weekends away etc..

I reckon meat consumption in Ireland hasn't increased majorly in Ireland over the last 50 years if you compare it to the increase of cars and airplanes but there's more money to be made from cars/airplanes etc.. so there not talking much about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

We eat meat far more often than we used to tbf- no issue cutting back a bit I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

What a load of ol bollocks

lbc2019 wrote: »
    We eat meat far more often than we used to tbf- no issue cutting back a bit I suppose

Yes many people consume far too much meat but the suggestion of the report is not cutting back a bit though and they also want us to cut out the spuds! (So basically reduce our carbon footprint buy cutting out local produce?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Reduction suggests putting people to death of course!. The global population will rise until death and birth rates match, the fertility rate is dropping quickly now but it'll be end of the century before equaibrium is achieved as the average lifespan increases.

How does reduction suggestion putting people to death - your words not posters.It's about using contraception and not breeding like rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'll be stocking up on those Sirloin steaks in Lidl for the next week at 1.50 a pop.

The cows are dead anyway so it would be a sin not to.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes many people consume far too much meat but the suggestion of the report is not cutting back a bit though and they also want us to cut out the spuds! (So basically reduce our carbon footprint buy cutting out local produce?)

Cut out the one thing that actually grows well here in most areas! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Thea Spicy Nag

emaherx wrote: »
    It’s about human health too. I guess that is the reason for starchy veg being cut. They cause your blood sugar to spike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

What the fook are we, birds?

Do they want us to eat seed and forage for worms?

Look, I'd rather die than have to give up the food I like. Even if my diet kills me ten years early (which it likely will), I'd rather spend my limited time on earth eating real food and no seeds and nuts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Scarinae wrote: »
    You wouldn't necessarily just be spooning dead bugs into your mouth though! I've eaten a brownie made from cricket flour and it was absolutely delicious, I would never have guessed it was made from insects if I hadn't been told.

By and large Westerners wouldn't eat it because of the ick factor, it'd be a hard sell.
    Largely true, but the same could be said for Irish people and sushi 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I went vegetarian last year to see if I could. Still am. No big deal to me. I still have my cheese and beer.

We’ve some of the best beef in the world. So let’s become the world supplier of beef- since the world can only eat 1/2 a burger a year now, there’ll be plenty for everyone- and of course, reserve rib eyes and T Bone cuts for Ireland :D

Billy86 wrote: »
    Largely true, but the same could be said for Irish people and sushi 20 years ago.

I'd be more than willing to give the crickets a go but you can keep your sushi!

So this was a study done by 20 influential food scientists who's names conveniently are not mentioned, they also mention environmental destruction, so what qualifications do food scientists have on the environment? A study means nothing without valid proof to back up their claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    That was called out for what it was years ago which was nonsense. A documentary full of lies to reel in gullible fools.

I am no expert on it but some of it wasn't too far from the truth one example being destruction of the rain forest for farming animals and growing grain for the shed fed cattle in the US..this is a well proven fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

wakka12 wrote: »
    What a silly argument. India would be even worse off if beef consumption was common

Unlikely buddy

• Advertisement

What the fook are we, birds?

Do they want us to eat seed and forage for worms?

Look, I'd rather die than have to give up the food I like. Even if my diet kills me ten years early (which it likely will), I'd rather spend my limited time on earth eating real food and no seeds and nuts....

They are cribbing about overpopulation on one hand and wanting people to eat so called healthy food on the other, do they not see the irony?

Advertisement