Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The war on meat

Comments

marvin80 wrote: »
    So I put in Lamb 1 to 2 times a week (which I don't eat - it's more 1 or 2 times a month but anyway) and it said over an entire year of consumption it's 'like taking 1 return flight from London to Malaga' - so why aren't we telling people to cut back on foreign holidays, weekends away etc..

I reckon meat consumption in Ireland hasn't increased majorly in Ireland over the last 50 years if you compare it to the increase of cars and airplanes but there's more money to be made from cars/airplanes etc.. so there not talking much about them.

Ah no it has. The percentage of overall household income spent on food has dramatically reduced in the last 50 years because incomes have increased and meat has become cheaper relative to incomes earned. Meat was hugely expensive 40 years ago when compared to income levels and household budgets at the time- so a lot less was consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Before we have a war on meat we should have a war on sugar.

If we win that war then we need a war on processed meat, which is not a war on meat, just a problem with disgusting processed meat and processed food in general.

Then if we win that war we can have a war about noting in particular, just for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

This will be necessary to ensure the 10bn mouths will get enough calories.

Or, or, orrrrrrr we do whatever it takes to stop the population from reaching ten billion.
    Wouldn't that be nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I am no expert on it but some of it wasn't too far from the truth one example being destruction of the rain forest for farming animals and growing grain for the shed fed cattle in the US..this is a well proven fact.

Most grain fed to cattle is by products of grain grown for human consumption and also grain grown on land that is not fit for human consumption. The rain forest has nothing to do with Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭emaherx

I am no expert on it but some of it wasn't too far from the truth one example being destruction of the rain forest for farming animals and growing grain for the shed fed cattle in the US..this is a well proven fact.

Not far from the truth is what they do best...
    Rain forest being cut down to grow food and vanity products for humans and the by-products being used to feed cattle. The stalky by products weigh more than the main cash crop and account for 80% of the mass so they say it's mostly cut down to feed cattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm going to start eating salads, mushrooms etc with my big tender sirloin steaks.
    A lot of these studies are conducted by crackpots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I have one person on boards on ignore and looking at your last few posts I bet that’s who your replying to. He/she is in every single thread concerning veganism or anything to do with the benefits of a plant based diet. So much so I’d say there’s two people using that account. Posting at all hours. Clearly working for bord bia or the dairy industry.

Either that or they should be in the second series of ‘you’ on Netflix.

Yes I agree, there's definitely something up with that account. And it's the same phrases over and over used.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

I doubt Leo is going to stop by putting hot meat into his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    They are cribbing about overpopulation on one hand and wanting people to eat so called healthy food on the other, do they not see the irony?

Eat the surplus people.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I doubt Leo is going to stop by putting hot meat into his mouth.

1/10 (for trying)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

A lot of these studies are conducted by crackpots.

More likely shills paid off by private business to advance their interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

To be honest I definitely get the vegetarian argument, particularly from an animal rights viewpoint but also environmentally.

However, I just think vegetarian meals are so unsatisfying. I don't feel as if I've had a proper meal after it. I think the problem is a lot of the things served instead of meat are, nutritionally, insufficient. For example, at my college today I had the chicken and the vegetarian alternative main was a large mushroom with lentils. Another time I had a cauliflower curry. It just doesn't tick the right food groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Eat the surplus people.

Sorted.

giphy.gif

Eat the surplus people.

Sorted.

They say human meat is the tastiest, lets eat all the fatties :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Thankfully the agriculture lobby is too powerful to start them putting extra taxes on meat but it is the next big "cause". It will creep in slowly and in about 10-15 years we'll start to see the establishment go after it.

If we keep on progressing the way we are and without a radical rebellion against it, in 30-40 years time we will be going to our dinner tables with a la carte menus set by the government and whoever takes over from Jamie Oliver as the policeman of our fridges.

emaherx wrote: »
    I'd be more than willing to give the crickets a go but you can keep your sushi!

Insects are a significant part of some people’s diet, protein in some African countries and elsewhere. There are certain times of the year when plagues erupt and the people are out Day and night harvesting the insects.

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    More likely shills paid off by private business to advance their interests.

Nameless shills that seem to be qualified in different fields, very convenient.

Insects are a significant part of some people’s diet, protein in some African countries and elsewhere. There are certain times of the year when plagues erupt and the people are out Day and night harvesting the insects.

Well they are killed in their billions the feed vegans it's a pity so many go to waste. #SmallLivesMatter

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Most grain fed to cattle is by products of grain grown for human consumption and also grain grown on land that is not fit for human consumption. The rain forest has nothing to do with Europe.

The report by the Lancet was regarding the diet of the world as a whole not only Europe..You have your opinion on the rain forest and I have mine. I tend to believe my facts are accurate but again I am no expert on the subject.Are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I ain't changing my diet because people can't curb overbreeding. If anything the world should be encouraging the reduction of the world's population.

The most harmful effects are from people in the first world like you who can afford to eat lots of meat not the billions of asians living on a pot of rice daily

Anyway whenever I read threads like this on boards it just solidifies my view that the world is doomed to be destoryed by global warming. Nobody wants to make any changes to their lifestyle(even the most absolutely minimal changes, such as eating less meat) until it personally negatively effects them and by then itll be too late to reverse it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

We have been eating meat as humans for the past 200,000 years. Among the archeological findings at countless Stone Age sites throughout Europe, there is ample proof that our ancestors consumed meat.

The desire for meat is going nowhere. I agree that we need to invent a cleaner and more efficient form of meat farming...... but any attempts to get rid of meat altogether will go nowhere.

We are after hundreds of thousands of years of evolution, designed to eat meat.....and our bodies rely on meat for optimal health and survival.

wakka12 wrote: »
    The most harmful effects are from people in the first world like you who can afford to eat lots of meat not the billions of asians living on a pot of rice daily

Anyway whenever I read threads like this on boards it just solidifies my view that the world is doomed to be destoryed by global warming. Nobody wants to make any changes to their lifestyle until it personally negatively effects them and by then itll be too late to reverse it

You should look into the environmental impact of growing rice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

robman60 wrote: »
    To be honest I definitely get the vegetarian argument, particularly from an animal rights viewpoint but also environmentally.

However, I just think vegetarian meals are so unsatisfying. I don't feel as if I've had a proper meal after it. I think the problem is a lot of the things served instead of meat are, nutritionally, insufficient. For example, at my college today I had the chicken and the vegetarian alternative main was a large mushroom with lentils. Another time I had a cauliflower curry. It just doesn't tick the right food groups.

Yes, I think you are right and I feel the same way, while I don't mind eating lots of vegetables and fruit in summer ( when we get one ) or on holiday I like eating meat in winter here especially. It feels more nutritious protein, iron in beef etc.My children enjoy meat too and I would not like to have to put them on a vegetable only diet.As you say it just doesn't tick the right boxes.

The report by the Lancet was regarding the diet of the world as a whole not only Europe..You have your opinion on the rain forest and I have mine. I tend to believe my facts are accurate but again I am no expert on the subject.Are you?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well the major impact is probably because of the amount westerners have imported. The harmful effects the average westerner has on the worlds environment is just incomrparable to the average person in the developing world

Well you aren't an expert on grain production for cattle that's for sure. You seem to be basing most of your facts on cowspiracy.

Well the major impact is probably because of the amount westerners have imported. The harmful effects the average westerner has on the worlds environment is just incomrparable to the average person in the developing world

Compared to the amount consumed in China!

DS86DS wrote: »
    We have been eating meat as humans for the past 200,000 years. Among the archeological findings at countless Stone Age sites throughout Europe, there is ample proof that our ancestors consumed meat.

The desire for meat is going nowhere. I agree that we need to invent a cleaner and more efficient form of meat farming...... but any attempts to get rid of meat altogether will go nowhere.

We are after hundreds of thousands of years of evolution, designed to eat meat.....and our bodies rely on meat for optimal health and survival.

Ate meat 200 000 years ago, yes. Ate the levels of meat were consuming today in the western world? Definitely not. Even in the last 30 years, the advent of fast food outlets springing up in everything town village and suburb in Ireland is actually very sad to see as it cheapens the value of this precious commodity. Were eating a lot more meat because we can afford to and it’s judt a phone call away, day or night, all fully prepared and cooked and dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Vast swathes of SE Asian jungle cleared for rice paddies that once had black rhino and other things....

Oh I see methane production, pesticides, excess water usage...not great tbf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Anyway whenever I read threads like this on boards it just solidifies my view that the world is doomed to be destoryed by global warming.

It may as well be that way as any other. The idea that sustainability, or avoiding doing harm to the planet is an unalloyed good, gets away scandalously without being questioned. Use the planets resources. Exhaust them. Enjoy them. There is no real point in putting one's self out to spare them.

Advertisement