Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longshot Value at Cheltenham

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The filth deserve the hikes. Forever running horses half cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

My maths are broken. Ivanovich Gorbotov got it worse than Jezki. Shocking. Same with my bet on Walk To Freedom. Absolutely spanked by the handicapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

My maths are broken. Ivanovich Gorbotov got it worse than Jezki. Shocking. Same with my bet on Walk To Freedom. Absolutely spanked by the handicapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Nulty wrote: »

I reckon Walk to Freedom still has a fair chance. Type of horse that will love Cheltenham and travels very strongly in races. Missed 18 months through one thing or another so has relatively low mileage for an 8 year old and could still have loads more improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Katpoli in the Fred winter 50/1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

JLT

It appears from comments that its likely Paloma Blue will go for the JLT. One thing we can be sure of if he goes he can’t go of at more than 10/1 in what will probably be a small enough field. He was probably the one to take out of last year supreme and if he can get jumping better he won’t be far away in this race.

2 Points win 16/1 NRNB Various

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Jezki, Ivanovich Gorbatov and De Name Escapes Me all ruled out of Cheltenham by J.P.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/cheltenham-countdown/jp-mcmanus-trio-ruled-out-of-festival-because-of-handicapping-issues/369021

BoroMan32 wrote: »

No sympathy for McManus. Hes consistently not allowing his horses to run on merit, you dont mind the odd time plotting a horse but these gangsters are at it 90% of the time. The utter contempt they hold for punters is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I love all the hate for McManus. People think he's the only one stopping horses, it's absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Complete disregard for punters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Roger will be heartbroken Jezki is out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Complete disregard for punters

Anyone betting antepost in handicaps and not getting nrnb only has themselves to blame .

I wouldn't blame them . Better to go to punchestown .

Punters arnt paying the bills and rightly have no say in the running of horses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Gringo180 wrote: »
    No sympathy for McManus. Hes consistently not allowing his horses to run on merit, you dont mind the odd time plotting a horse but these gangsters are at it 90% of the time. The utter contempt they hold for punters is sickening.

Doubt he's looking for sympathy. If they'd a chance they'd be running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Not an outsider but i was told by someone i take notice of that FRIEND OR FOE was very well fancied for the Fred Winter4 year old handicap hurdle.I do not like ante post betting so i waited until it was nrnb and i now have a betting slip for the horse at 12/1 five places from Bar One Racing on a horse may well start favourite assuming he gets a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I think your post button is busted too :D

Slattsy wrote: »
    I love all the hate for McManus. People think he's the only one stopping horses, it's absolutely hilarious.

Nobody said that, but nobody does it on the same level his operation does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

Nobody said that, but nobody does it on the same level his operation does.

Nobody has put more into the game than he has. He can do what he likes. What people fail to realise is that McManus keeps small yards going with perhaps the one horse that he has with them. Those yards need to land a gamble to keep going year to year. Now I know the bigger yards do it too but everyone is entitled to make a few quid. Compare what McManus is doing pulling strokes and gambles, I’d much rather see that then see what Gigginstown do. Whipping all their horses off of Mouse Morris after what he did for them. Same with Colm Murphy and Sandra Hughes. O’Leary put two of those yards out of business. He then has the cheek to come out and say they don’t gamble their horses because it’s a hobby for them. Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Motivator wrote:
    Nobody has put more into the game than he has. He can do what he likes. What people fail to realise is that McManus keeps small yards going with perhaps the one horse that he has with them. Those yards need to land a gamble to keep going year to year. Now I know the bigger yards do it too but everyone is entitled to make a few quid. Compare what McManus is doing pulling strokes and gambles, I’d much rather see that then see what Gigginstown do. Whipping all their horses off of Mouse Morris after what he did for them. Same with Colm Murphy and Sandra Hughes. O’Leary put two of those yards out of business. He then has the cheek to come out and say they don’t gamble their horses because it’s a hobby for them. Give me a break.

Couldn't agree more.
    Well said sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I second that. No matter what you do for the O'Learys, they are never happy. They pulled their horses from Willie Mullins, of all people. Not to mention sacking Davy Russell - he proved them wrong in the end!

Motivator wrote: »

Thats all well and good but dont throw the toys out of the pram when some of his horses hes had the handbrake on are getting murdered by the handicapper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Not surprised re Jezki
    Handicapper destroyed his chances
    Could see the great boy retired now

Not gutted.
    Saves me 20 quid !

Thats all well and good but dont throw the toys out of the pram when some of his horses hes had the handbrake on are getting murdered by the handicapper.

Plenty of owners and trainers do it. If they think the mark is excessive then why run a horse that they know won’t have a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭ON ZEE BRIDLE

I would have alot more time for JP than Gtown.No loyalty at all, taking horses out of mouse's yard was just wrong but the o'Leary brothers don't give a fuk

I would have alot more time for JP than Gtown.No loyalty at all, taking horses out of mouse's yard was just wrong but the o'Leary brothers don't give a fuk

No loyalty whatsoever from them, and for an operation that are in it for “sport and for the love of the game” they’re a ruthless pair. They put Sandra Hughes out of business and the same with Colm Murphy. Thankfully Mouse looks to be ok in terms of other owners and horses but still. In all my time involved in racing I don’t think I’ve ever heard of McManus taking a horse out of a yard. Say what you want about them pulling strokes and landing touches, McManus looks after the small guys and that’s all that I care about.

Motivator wrote: »
    No loyalty whatsoever from them, and for an operation that are in it for “sport and for the love of the game” they’re a ruthless pair. They put Sandra Hughes out of business and the same with Colm Murphy. Thankfully Mouse looks to be ok in terms of other owners and horses but still. In all my time involved in racing I don’t think I’ve ever heard of McManus taking a horse out of a yard. Say what you want about them pulling strokes and landing touches, McManus looks after the small guys and that’s all that I care about.

But what about the punter he ****s over on a consistent basis like no other owner out there? You say owners like him make the sport what it is, you can say the same about the punters but you dont seem to care much for them.

As you say, McManus can do what he likes but if O Leary takes his horses elsewhere hes a bollox. Bit hypocritical if you ask me.

Personally I dont mind McManus himself, but he hasnt a leg to stand on with regards to him moaning about his horses being hit hard by the handicapper.

But what about the punter he ****s over on a consistent basis like no other owner out there? You say owners like him make the sport what it is, you can say the same about the punters but you dont seem to care much for them.

As you say, McManus can do what he likes but if O Leary takes his horses elsewhere hes a bollox. Bit hypocritical if you ask me.

Personally I dont mind McManus himself, but he hasnt a leg to stand on with regards to him moaning about his horses being hit hard by the handicapper.

McManus at least keeps racing competitive. How many bad horses has he with different trainers up and down the country and in the UK? He keeps yards in business where as Gigginstown closes them.

What McManus does is within the rules and is no different to what nearly every other owner and trainer does. Pulling and stopping horses is part of the sport but almost all of the poorer racing in the UK is worse. Yards have to pull off a touch every few months just to pay the bills, yes the Green and Gold do it as well but it’s not like they’re the only ones at it.

I think everyone at this stage calls O’Leary a bollocks. He’s put crazy money into Irish racing but he’s running his operation like a business and the cut throat nature of the Gigginstown operation is far from what McManus is about. I would agree they probably shouldn’t be giving out about the handicap marks but they’re his horses at the end of the day. Any other owner or trainer would love to have his horses to send to Cheltenham to land a touch - that’s why they’re in the sport in the first place.

Lastly, without the punters there’d be no racing bla bla bla. Without McManus Irish Racing would be in the toilet and that’s a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

Anybody who gives out about McManus must never have been involved in a horse. Everyone does it, not necessarily stopping them but just not giving them every chance in every race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

At least O'Leary pays his tax into the Irish state, but sure JP is a people's hero cos he throws a bit of business to some lad down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Any chance the thread can be kept for the purpose of was created instead of b1tching about owners. Create another thread for owner bashing if ye need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

At least O'Leary pays his tax into the Irish state, but sure JP is a people's hero cos he throws a bit of business to some lad down the road

This! Spot on!!

Advertisement