Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used BMW i3 experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Aye.
    Another i3 owner has posted previously that they get ~110km battery range on ECO Plus in the current weather. Couldn't imagine there'd be 50kms+ in the difference.

Maybe the owner of the picture I posted completely baby'd it for a full charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

How far do you get from the rex then ? is the rex range the same in both the 60ah and the 94ah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Yep'ish both have a 9L tank. Between 90-120km depending on weather.

All gom's will display the range estimate based on previous trip, so If you drive hard last trip after next charge it will give a range estimate based on that.

Most I got was 230 Kms in the 941h fine weather off the motorway still have some range lest, about 11% if I remember correctly.

Best to go by charge %, if you get 80 Kms at 50% then it would be safe to assume you'll get 80 from the next 50% and so on, only you'd want to be charging by the final 80 so then you could say you'll get 60-70 kms.

Anyone in the Rex will use it all if they need but it's better to use the Rex before battery runs low then they have some battery for slower driving and in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

kceire wrote: »
    I’m not sure.
    My 94Ah will display 228km on a good day.
    Getting that is a challenge though.

The lads on the Facebook group say realistically 60-70 miles on a 60Ah version.

That seems right considering it's on the Eco Pro + mode. Limit of 90kph and no ac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

mordeith wrote: »
    That seems right considering it's on the Eco Pro + mode. Limit of 90kph and no ac

But the picture was of a 60ah display.

The ranges seem fairly high for that.

Soarer wrote: »
    But the picture was of a 60ah display.

The ranges seem fairly high for that.

I've seen over 130km on our 60ah in Eco Pro + on the GOM. As Mad Lad says if the car had previously been driven very conservatively it could well show those values

As I said, best get used to the charge % display rather than GOM, a good way of knowing your range is if you get 80 kms for the first 50% expect 60-70 kms for the rest because you'll need to be close to a charger by 20% and that depends if you're driving style hasn't changed and are driving similar terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mad Lad what are your thoughts on acceleration from standstill in the i3?

Having a debate at the minute on the UK owners page on Facebook and it seems that I've ruffled some feathers by stating that in my opinion my 24kwh Leaf was sharper off the line.

In Eco Pro on the i3 if I floor it at a junction there is a noticeable delay (I initially said half a second but realistically probably less) before it takes off. In the Leaf even with Eco on it was off quicker.

And in the Leaf with Eco off the car was so sensitive it was almost uncomfortably jumpy if you tapped the pedal.

I'll have to try driving more in comfort to see how it compares but even then I felt that the Leaf was more responsive. Obviously the i3 has bags more power but I reckon if I raced myself in i3 vs Leaf, the Leaf would reach 10mph quicker before the i3 left it for dead.

I've been wondering a bit about that myself lately. If i floor it in Eco Pro there is a slight delay alright. In Comfort thought it feels definitely quicker than the Leaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    In Eco Pro on the i3 if I floor it at a junction there is a noticeable delay (I initially said half a second but realistically probably less) before it takes off. In the Leaf even with Eco on it was off quicker.
    mordeith wrote: »
    If i floor it in Eco Pro there is a slight delay alright.

I dont know anything about the i3 but Eco Pro sounds like its all about dumbing the car down to ensure you conserve energy, so stopping you from launching the car is exactly what it would be meant to do.... no?

KCross wrote: »
    I dont know anything about the i3 but Eco Pro sounds like its all about dumbing the car down to ensure you conserve energy, so stopping you from launching the car is exactly what it would be meant to do.... no?

A little, but not that much.

The Leaf had Eco on or off. The i3 has comfort, Eco Pro and Eco Pro plus.

The dumbing down of the acceleration in i3 Eco Pro seems to be a fair bit higher than the Leaf in Eco.

Plus in the Leaf, even in Eco if you floored it past the initial resistance you still got full whack. Just takes some getting used to in the i3 that I'll have to actually switch to comfort in the event of needing a quick takeoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Just takes some getting used to in the i3 that I'll have to actually switch to comfort in the event of needing a quick takeoff.

Why use Eco at all?... just leave it in comfort and decide the power levels with your foot rather than the car controlling it?

I presume you didnt drive the Leaf with Eco on? Its a fairly mundane drive with Eco on.

KCross wrote: »

It certainly is meant to reduce accelerating to some degree bit it's not noticeable one you're traveling. Could be traction control too as if you floor of from a standstill in comfort the front end can get a bit skittish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Having a debate at the minute on the UK owners page on Facebook and it seems that I've ruffled some feathers by stating that in my opinion my 24kwh Leaf was sharper off the line.

And in the Leaf with Eco off the car was so sensitive it was almost uncomfortably jumpy if you tapped the pedal.

I'll have to try driving more in comfort to see how it compares but even then I felt that the Leaf was more responsive. Obviously the i3 has bags more power but I reckon if I raced myself in i3 vs Leaf, the Leaf would reach 10mph quicker before the i3 left it for dead.

I also think the Leaf would edge out in the first few meters, but the i3 straight after that. its as if the i3 is limited at pull off for a split second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I also think the Leaf would edge out in the first few meters, but the i3 straight after that. its as if the i3 is limited at pull off for a split second.

Weren't the first batch of i3s recalled for a software update to dull their initial acceleration , because they were tearing out the motor mounts . A lot of owners were p155ed off after the recall, I recall ,as they missed the aggressive step off .

In my experience of owning both, in the dry the leaf might and I mean might just be quicker. The i3 would obv leaF ( :D) it for dead after the initial take off but on occasion I remember the Leaf pausing before take off too.

BTW DRPHILG did you fix that rattly dashboard?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    BTW DRPHILG did you fix that rattly dashboard?

Not yet. Just back in the country after 10 days in India and I'm up to my eyes with stuff to do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not yet. Just back in the country after 10 days in India and I'm up to my eyes with stuff to do.

Drinking all the tea you brought home :p

Soarer wrote: »
    These ranges don't look right for a 60ah REx, do they?

MWJkZDU4MmU2YjI2MTEyNjFjZDkwN2IyNzAzZGU0OTaR_x1JSRWDnxKvA1A7M2ohaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjA3Nzc2NjF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Just in addition to this the image below is after about twenty minutes crawling through traffic on the way home. I'd used up about 45% on the way into work in the morning. If you extrapolate back to 100% the range would give you approx 140km (in Eco Pro +)

• Advertisement

I only ever drive the i3 in comfort, eco and eco pro really dull the experience.

You are correct, the leaf 24 has the edge form 0 but the i3 will leave it standing from about 40 odd kph and from 60 Kph the i3 really pulls hard which is great for me because this is where I really want the power to come in for over taking on back roads.

And of course the i3 will pull much harder above 100 Kmh too but the leaf only has 109 hp after all and it's heavy.

307km in 3.5hrs of nonstop driving.
    Used 8l of petrol. 8 To do 307km.

Proper hybrid technology.

Absolutely blown away by this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Even in your BEV? Which is a lot quicker to 60 than the REx models.

Seems software so. Such a pity as the major party trick of the EV is that it is away from the lights instantly :D

The very thing I always enjoyed most in my large V8 petrol auto cars. Plenty of torque at idle, but even they had a slight delay in take off because of the autobox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

307km in 3.5hrs of nonstop driving.
    Used 8l of petrol. 8 To do 307km.

Proper hybrid technology.

Absolutely blown away by this car.

The rex used 8 litres of petrol? Sorry haven't been following thread in a while..

Yeah looks to me like ewj1978 set off with a full battery and a full tank. Drove over 300km, mostly motorway, non-stop. Nice range! Car must have been doubly empty at that stage, any range anxiety? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

unkel wrote: »
    Even in your BEV? Which is a lot quicker to 60 than the REx models.

Seems software so. Such a pity as the major party trick of the EV is that it is away from the lights instantly :D

The very thing I always enjoyed most in my large V8 petrol auto cars. Plenty of torque at idle, but even they had a slight delay in take off because of the autobox

Ahhhh the i3 software 'upgrade'. It really dulled the car from the off. When I first had mine you really did have the full torque available from 0. Then after a service recall they limited it to protect the motor mounts as mentioned.
    Still its not a huge difference and an i3 wouldn't take long to overtake a leaf, like maybe 1/2 seconds

It dulled the car from the off, that's terrible though, isn't it? :(

My own EV is very modest. A cheap Hyundai from Korea, FWD and only 118HP. Should be slow as hell right? Well the funny thing about this car is that after the light turns green, I'm mostly gone through the intersection by the time the engine of the usual BMW and Audi sporty diesel cars engine has just about started (start stop technology on these to save fuel)

The rex used 8 litres of petrol? Sorry haven't been following thread in a while..

Aye, the rex used 8 litres.
    Kept it at 105kmph on the M1 to ensure arrival but arrived with 16% battery.
    The slowdown on the m7 helped and the ofc the m50..
    Stopped in castlebellingham, €11.70 in fuel. 32 minutes on the charger and off again.

108mpg in old school money. 2.6L/100km

Aye, the rex used 8 litres.
    Kept it at 105kmph on the M1 to ensure arrival but arrived with 16% battery.
    The slowdown on the m7 helped and the ofc the m50..
    Stopped in castlebellingham, €11.70 in fuel. 32 minutes on the charger and off again.

108mpg in old school money. 2.6L/100km

Yeah it's an amazing car isn't it ? certainly the best car to have right now given the disgraceful state of the public charging infrastructure. Rex is always there when you need it, 8 seconds to fill the tank and off you go again.

We're going to Cork and Dingle next weekend and will most likely do a lot of driving and the Rex will be used a lot I'd say.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    It dulled the car from the off, that's terrible though, isn't it? :(

My own EV is very modest. A cheap Hyundai from Korea, FWD and only 118HP. Should be slow as hell right? Well the funny thing about this car is that after the light turns green, I'm mostly gone through the intersection by the time the engine of the usual BMW and Audi sporty diesel cars engine has just about started (start stop technology on these to save fuel)

It might have been dulled down a bit but it's far from dull to drive hardly terrible.

I3 power comes in right where you need it the most for over taking and it's still fast off the, it might not give the hammering torque form 0 it used to but who cares ? I'd rather have more power at 60 Km/h then 0 because I over take more slower cars on back roads than cyclists !

i3 33 Kwh Rex isn't slower than the 44 Kwh BEV probably because of the extra weight of the battery , it might be a bit slower than the 60 Ah BEV but probably not a lot to care about.

In damp and wet the i3 will be long down the road before most if not all FWD electrics.

Advertisement