Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used BMW i3 experiences

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Damn your black heart, that's cheaper than mine was.

Bad timing for me I suppose, bought just before BMW surprised us by dropping the price of the 120ah.

Hard haggling, although I will admit, these cars don't get dropped that much, they seem to fly off the forecourts in the UK.

the 120ah is brand new yeah? I would love to go BEV only, but none with the spec I wanted popped up. I would have easily gone 94ah BEV to be honest, would love a 120ah BEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I have my spec mapped out when I purchase one in 12 months time.
    2018 I3S Rex ( with the plus package) in imperial blue. Leather if possible. Not that I am choosy. ;)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

80sDiesel wrote: »
    2018 I3S Rex ( with the plus package) in imperial blue. Leather if possible. Not that I am choosy. ;)

Isn’t Rex gone in Europe?

80sDiesel wrote: »

I thought there was no Rex on the new i3’s?
    Just 120ah BEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel

2018 is the old 94Ah model. So can be had with REx.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    2018 is the old 94Ah model. So can be had with REx.

Yep 2018 is the last Rex version.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

I got 2 x rear tyres in November

Bridgestone Ecopia EP500 175/60R19 86 Q for 284 Euro's delivered from Openio.ie +50 fitting and about 50 for wheel alignment. No point putting on new tyres if the alignment is off, at least the rear wheels can be adjusted which could not on the old Leaf and probably not on the new one either. That was a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nsi423

My 2015 i3 Rex is due service in April, I believe there are only two dealers in Ireland who will do it, Keary's in Cork and Joe Duffy in Dublin... so Cork might be the handiest. Does anyone have experience with either?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

nsi423 wrote: »
    My 2015 i3 Rex is due service in April, I believe there are only two dealers in Ireland who will do it, Keary's in Cork and Joe Duffy in Dublin... so Cork might be the handiest. Does anyone have experience with either?

I think I heard that Sligo BMW can also service the i3, don't remember where I heard it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

nsi423 wrote: »

Consider signing up for BMW FIRST. 20% off parts, service and repairs. First month is free so in theory you can sign up a week before the service, get the discount and then terminate the membership. However, personally I think it’s good value.

https://www.bmw-first.ie/home

• Advertisement

Consider signing up for BMW FIRST. 20% off parts, service and repairs. First month is free so in theory you can sign up a week before the service, get the discount and then terminate the membership. However, personally I think it’s good value.

https://www.bmw-first.ie/home

Ill probably do the same myself.
    Make sure to get prices before and after the discount to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

unkel wrote: »
    Tired of the Ampera already?

Not at all. Just keeping an eye on EV prices in general for when the Civic IMA goes to the great gig in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel

i3 are holding their value well in the UK the last few months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

So,i consider a bit risky to go for a i3 with REx knowing that the rex engine models have been discontinued !
    Not that any local mechanic can have a look in case that the small rex takes a fault !??

rolion wrote: »
    So,i consider a bit risky to go for a i3 with REx knowing that the rex engine models have been discontinued !
    Not that any local mechanic can have a look in case that the small rex takes a fault !??

It's entirely possible something might happen the Rex as with any mechanical device , I've been reading that it is best to use it now and then to keep it in shape, run it for 20+ mins on a long trip at least every month or two to make sure it gets up to temp for a while.

Seemingly those that have had issues used it very rarely indeed but I have found that issues seem to be rare particularly on the 94 ah (33 Kwh )

The Rex "could" greatly increase in value because 40 Kwh is just not enough , at least that's how I feel right now, however the real sting in the tail as with all electrics is cold battery charging at fast chargers which the Rex completely eliminates.

If the 40 Kwh could have charged at more than 50 Kw I just might think differently and if there were many more chargers.

The 33 Kwh BEV is just not enough for me, it's a nice boost over the 24 Kwh leaf and the charging speed when the battery is warmer.

This morning I charged after work in Carlow and it went from 44-95 % in 25 mins, a big difference than when the battery is much colder.

44-80% probably took 12-15 mins.

I'll have the 42 Kwh for a day or two on the 28th. I might just change my mind who knows.

@Lad...you have bought the REx when it was live, online and still under manufacturing timeframe.
    Now,that BMW have decided to stop making more models due to different conspiracy theories, i think it will put some pressure on the new buyers.

I had a long look at the i3 and decided to go with Rex but i had to stop and decide to go with fully BEV only.
    Then discovered that the i3 Rex still not qualify for free BIK tax rates so then i had to abandon and see if a 40KW van will do it.

Overall,i3 is a great marvelous piece of engineering but for me,some practical instinct tell me to dont buy it "tomorrow"...

Thanks

rolion wrote: »
    @Lad...you have bought the REx when it was live, online and still under manufacturing timeframe.
    Now,that BMW have decided to stop making more models due to different conspiracy theories, i think it will put some pressure on the new buyers.

I had a long look at the i3 and decided to go with Rex but i had to stop and decide to go with fully BEV only.
    Then discovered that the i3 Rex still not qualify for free BIK tax rates so then i had to abandon and see if a 40KW van will do it.

Overall,i3 is a great marvelous piece of engineering but for me,some practical instinct tell me to dont buy it "tomorrow"...

Thanks

I thought Cros proved the i3 Rex was exempt form BIK ?

Anyway, go with your instincts, I did what was right for me and I am 100% glad I did in the end.

Are you looking at the e-NV200 40 Kwh ?

If you could at all I would strongly advise to get the Rex but you have to do what you have to do in the end. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

MM3 wrote: »
    Well no is the short answer, the long answer involves a dealer playing fast and loose with the truth.

Anyhow, I've done a deal on a 161 60ah from the uk which I'll be collecting next week. Its not the 94ah (which ideally I'd have preferred) but its coming in under budget which is of course important (the 94 was right at the top end) and tbh we don't need a range higher than provided by the 60 so I'm comfortable with the decision. I'll throw a few pics up once it arrives. Spec is pretty good, upgraded alloys (428's), pro nav , park assist and sunroof.

M

Picked the car up late this afternoon, delighted with it (forgot how quick they are!). It’s immaculate inside and doesn’t appear anyone sat in either the passenger or backseat. 4 new tyres on it as well which was a nice surprise. I’ll take a few photos in daylight in the next day or so.

Next job is to get my Zappi installed....

M

Picked the car up late this afternoon, delighted with it (forgot how quick they are!). It’s immaculate inside and doesn’t appear anyone sat in either the passenger or backseat. 4 new tyres on it as well which was a nice surprise. I’ll take a few photos in daylight in the next day or so.

M

Enjoy and best of luck.
    Did you buy here or the UK?

M

Well wear ! Welcome to the i3 club ! :D

Did you drive it over or have it transported ?

First thing, take it for a trashing on the back roads ! :D

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Enjoy and best of luck.
    Did you buy here or the UK?

Thanks , bought in the UK (from main BMW dealer) and had it transported over, fairly painless process to be fair. If it was a REX I’d have picked it up myself but didn’t fancy the trip in the BEV

BTW I think someone asked about folding mirrors earlier in the thread , they must be standard as mine fold

M

Well wear ! Welcome to the i3 club ! :D

Did you drive it over or have it transported ?

First thing, take it for a trashing on the back roads ! :D

Thanks - just took the kids for a spin and they were suitably impressed with the acceleration!

M

Thanks , bought in the UK (from main BMW dealer) and had it transported over, fairly painless process to be fair. If it was a REX I’d have picked it up myself but didn’t fancy the trip in the BEV

BTW I think someone asked about folding mirrors earlier in the thread , they must be standard as mine fold

M

Cheers. Who shipped it for you?
    I was considering getting mine shipped too just purely because of the 6 hour drive and associated tiredness the following day as I’m due in work.

I only done London to hollyhead a few weeks back in an ICE so don’t fancy it again.

Folding mirrors are great, is you hold the lock button they should auto fold then when locking the car and open automatically when you hit the open button.

I have bimmercode so I’ll mess around with some functions when I get mine all going well. There’s a few things you can code such as rear lights on with front DRL’s. Idrive shut down on opening the door. Some additional displays seemly and different light options when opening/closing.

There's a lot of stuff you can configure from the car's menu including programming the special key on the key fob to turn on lights or heat/ac.

You can change the colour of the interior lights etc.

kceire wrote: »
    Cheers. Who shipped it for you?
    I was considering getting mine shipped too just purely because of the 6 hour drive and associated tiredness the following day as I’m due in work.

I only done London to hollyhead a few weeks back in an ICE so don’t fancy it again.

Folding mirrors are great, is you hold the lock button they should auto fold then when locking the car and open automatically when you hit the open button.

I have bimmercode so I’ll mess around with some functions when I get mine all going well. There’s a few things you can code such as rear lights on with front DRL’s. Idrive shut down on opening the door. Some additional displays seemly and different light options when opening/closing.

NVD did the transportation , I’m sure there are cheaper but didn’t want to take any chances.

I’ve got BimmerCode as well , I’ll definitely be coding it to fold mirrors on lock (amazed that isn’t the default) and set eco pro as default on startup.

If you got comfort access then when you press the keyfob, hold it and they fold or if you lock the door by holding your hand to the handle, keep your hand there for about 2 seconds and they fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You can change the colour of the interior lights etc.

Really? How did I miss that. Do you remember which option it is under?

If you got comfort access then when you press the keyfob, hold it and they fold or if you lock the door by holding your hand to the handle, keep your hand there for about 2 seconds and they fold.

I'm not actually sure if I have comfort access. I know that I used to hold the lock button for 2 seconds to make the mirrors fold but then I changed that to auto fold via bimmercode.

What else does comfort access do?

I thought Cros proved the i3 Rex was exempt form BIK ?

Anyway, go with your instincts, I did what was right for me and I am 100% glad I did in the end.

Are you looking at the e-NV200 40 Kwh ?

If you could at all I would strongly advise to get the Rex but you have to do what you have to do in the end. Good luck.

Dont think the i3 REx qualify for free BIK due to the rex engine.
    Yes,looking to get a eNV200 if AIB Business and Nissan still have the deal in July.

Or maybe wait for my son to sign with Arsenal and then drive his beemer HERE ! :)

In meantime,i will just be jealous on all of you that decided to get an i3,enjoy it as much as i wish for !!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Really? How did I miss that. Do you remember which option it is under?

I'm not actually sure if I have comfort access. I know that I used to hold the lock button for 2 seconds to make the mirrors fold but then I changed that to auto fold via bimmercode.

What else does comfort access do?

If you grab the car handle it should open. Then you know you got comfort access.

Touch and hold the front of the handle and it should lock and if you keep holing it for a few seconds it will fold the mirrors or hold the lock button on the fob and the mirrors will fold and any open windows will close.

You can program the fob to turn on the headlights , or the Heat/AC.

This video shows how to set the ambient lighting to modern or classic, white/orange, I prefer the orange or classic.

• Advertisement

Curious. How do you handle off slips on motorways when you disengage cruise control. This i believe will result in re-gen so do you feather the throttle to try to get neutral regen until you need it ?

Advertisement