Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Given the night that’s in it;

Roman Numerals were introduced as the numbering system for Super Bowls to clarify any confusion that may occur because the NFL Championship Game—the Super Bowl—is played in the year following a chronologically recorded season, i.e. the Super Bowl that’s on at the moment is LIII (53) but it’s the culmination of the 2018 season.

Controversially, the only Super Bowl game to not use Roman numerals was Super Bowl 50 (2016)

The reason for this?
    It was felt that marketing 'Superbowl 50' would be more successful than 'Superbowl L'. Whatever your views on Black/White/ Green is the dominant colour in US sports.

Also worth noting on this topic, the Superbowl is the single game play-off between the winners of the NFC and AFC divisional championships and has been held since 1967. The first two games were titled the 'World Championship Game' which is a bit cringeworthy for a national competition and in line with this the players receive rings (instead of medals) which are often inscribed with the words 'World Champions'.

(And I am on Boards right now because so far this years game is a pretty much non-eventful single score first half)
    To be fair, I don't think there's likely to be some team elsewhere in the world likely to beat the Patriots in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

To be fair, I don't think there's likely to be some team elsewhere in the world likely to beat the Patriots in a game.

The point is it would be like calling kilkenny (ir whoever) world champions in hurling . Instead of all Ireland chanpions

It would sound a bit ridiculous to have world championships in hurling and football every year no?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The point is it would be like calling kilkenny (ir whoever) world champions in hurling . Instead of all Ireland chanpions

It would sound a bit ridiculous to have world championships in hurling and football every year no?

The American Baseball Championship is also called the World Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

London and New York are both in the football All Ireland championship. London played in a total of 5 finals from 1900-1908 and played in a Connacht final in 2013.

London also play in the National Football League.

New York have won 3 National Football Leagues.

Gaelic Football was a demonstration sport at the 1904 Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Exactly. We would have more claims to calling it world champions than the nfl

My point is that it sounds ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

KevRossi wrote: »
    London played in a total of 5 finals from 1900-1908 and played in a Connacht final in 2013.

If they had won there wouldn’t have been a cow milked in islington that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The American Baseball Championship is also called the World Series.
    America and Canada, with slightly different rules, and Mexico, with a newish league, would be the only countries that have major leagues in American Football.

Baseball is played in many countries, like Mexico, South Korea and Japan so it wouldn't be much of a stretch to call the winners World Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KevRossi wrote: »
    Half of all Canadians live beneath the red line.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DybsVF6XQAAJm_J.jpg

And, if you extend the red line, eastwards...

https://i.imgur.com/deMCKZn.png

You can see that Ireland is considerably North of all those Canadians. Not to mention the entire continental USA (Alaska is even norther than us)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

seamus wrote: »
    And, if you extend the red line, eastwards...

https://i.imgur.com/deMCKZn.png

You can see that Ireland is considerably North of all those Canadians. Not to mention the entire continental USA (Alaska is even norther than us)

An interesting stat would be see are there more Americans (USA) living north of that line than Canadians?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

And, as segregation was practiced in the city, Oscar winner, Hattie McDaniel who played Mammy, couldn't attend as she was coloured.

Not true, she did attend, although the Ambassador Hotel, where the ceremony was held, practiced segregation and the film's producer David O. Selznick had to petition in order that she be allowed to go. Even then, she sat at a table on her own except for her date, and could not join co-stars Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh at their table.

Her Oscar was given to Howard University when she died, but it went missing from the university in the early seventies and hasn't been seen since. There were many theories as to what happened, but the most likely reason for its disappearance is that it was simply moved to a different archive in the university and forgotten about. Because Oscars were plaques at the time Hattie McDaniel won hers, and not the statuettes we associate with the modern Oscars, it's possibly on a shelf somewhere, unrecognised for what it is.

It would be nearly 25 years before another African-American Oscar winner came along, when Sidney Poitier won in 1963 for Lilies Of The Field.

• Advertisement

blastman wrote: »
    Not true, she did attend, although the Ambassador Hotel, where the ceremony was held, practiced segregation and the film's producer David O. Selznick had to petition in order that she be allowed to go. Even then, she sat at a table on her own except for her date, and could not join co-stars Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh at their table.

So alien and so heartbreaking. :(

'Rat Pack' performer Sammy Davis jr wasn't allowed to stay in the top Vegas hotels where he was the headline act. He also had to enter and leave through the kitchens or back doors of many of the venues he performed in.

Frank Sinatra was a very active racial equality campaigner, as was Marilyn Monroe who was instrumental in getting Billie Holliday the club spots that helped put her in the spotlight, by telling the owners that if they hired Holliday that she would sit in the front row every night and allow them to photograph her there for publicity, bringing publicity for them and acceptance for Holliday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Beatles had a stipulation in their contract that they wouldn't play to segregated audiences.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Damaged euro coins that were taken out of circulation were sent to China as scrap metal. They used to separate out the centre core and ring and dispose of them to different recyclers. Some plucky Chinese figured out that they could press them back together and that Bundesbank would accept damaged coinage for free. They enlisted airline cabin staff who had no weight restrictions on luggage to ferry them back to Germany and exchange them for cash. They estimate that the scam ran for 6 years and cost the Germans €6 million. They were only found out when a member of cabin staff was struggling with a very heavy suitcase and discovered it to be full of coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sticking with a Star Trek theme...

Albert Einstein appeared as a character in 2 episodes of The Next Generation, in 1991 and 1993.

Both times he was played by an Irish actor, one Mr Jim Norton.. Better known in this parish as Bishop Len Brennan from Father Ted!

You address me by my proper title ya little bollix

Jim-Norton-as-Albert_Einste-484x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

You address me by my proper title ya little bollix

Jim-Norton-as-Albert_Einste-484x500.jpg

Was watching Frasier on Netflix last year, and was suprised when I saw him pop up in an episode of that too. Played a butler called Wentworth

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0582521/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The actor who played the pilot in the episode where they were on the airplane played a judge in Batman Begins. Also in Batman Begins was King Joffrey and the singer from the band James.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ignore the bottom part.

285058.jpg

I don't know if either would be edible, though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

87733.jpg
    Why can't we take a leaf out of Sweden's book, instead of dumping so many recyclables?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

New Home wrote: »
    Ignore the bottom part.

https://funsubstance.com/uploads/original/285/285058.jpg

I don't know if either would be edible, though.
    Defo not edible.

Be safer to be turn it into Bloody Mary's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

87733.jpg
    Why can't we take a leaf out of Sweden's book, instead of dumping so many recyclables?

Because they recycled the book and are now importing leaves from Norwegian books.

• Advertisement

165126.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Was watching Frasier on Netflix last year, and was suprised when I saw him pop up in an episode of that too. Played a butler called Wentworth

Here is a documentary about father ted where he is interviewed around the 6:30 mark - its amazing how well spoken and refined he is in person given the character that he plays:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Soviet Union sent an unmanned spacecraft to the moon in an attempt to bring back lunar soil. It was in lunar orbit as Armstrong and Aldrin performed their famous spacewalk. It crashed on the lunar surface hours before the Apollo astronauts lifted off for their return to Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Ipso wrote: »
    The actor who played the pilot in the episode where they were on the airplane played a judge in Batman Begins. Also in Batman Begins was King Joffrey and the singer from the band James.

Barry o Hamlin, Hughie, and Robbie from Fair City are in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He also appeared in a couple of episodes of the excellent sci-fi series Babylon 5 as some sort of judge.

Proportions probably not to scale, but interesting nevertheless.
    91425.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Adidas and Puma were formed by two brothers, Adolf "Adi" Dassler and Rudolf Dassler.

Adidas was founded by Adolf "Adi" Dassler who made sports shoes in his mother's scullery or laundry room in Herzogenaurach, Germany after his return from World War I. In July 1924, his older brother Rudolf joined the business, which became Dassler Brothers Shoe Factory (Gebrüder Dassler Schuhfabrik).

The brothers split up in 1947 after relations between them had broken down, with Rudolf forming a new firm that he called Ruda – from Rudolf Dassler, later rebranded Puma, and Dassler forming a company formally registered as Adidas AG from Adi Dassler on 18 August 1949. Although it is a popular urban myth that the name is an acronym for All Day I Dream About Sports, that phrase is a "backronym"; the name is a portmanteau formed from "Adi" (a nickname for Adolf) and "Das" (from "Dassler").

Interestingly enough, in August 2005, Adidas acquired Reebok as a subsidiary, uniting two of the largest sport outfitting companies, but maintaining operations under their separate brand names.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dunno if this was posted in t'other thread, but WD-40 was originally developed in the 1950's as a spray on coating to protect body of the Atlas rockets from corrosion that were first developed as missiles and then used by NASA to get payloads and astronauts into space. Another mad thing about them was the structure was so thin that it required pressurisation by fuel(or nitrogen) to stay rigid. If the tanks lost pressure the rocket would collapse like a deflated balloon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Proportions probably not to scale, but interesting nevertheless.
    91425.jpg

No mention of cortisone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

6 fingered family image
    One of my mother's sisters was born with this mutation but doctors at the time saw fit to amputate her extra "pinkie" finger as a newborn.

On the baby teeth skull shot: a first cousin once removed of mine (on the other side of the family) was born with a really cool mutation whereby he had an extra set of adult teeth. It was only discovered when his teeth starting falling out in his early twenties and a perfect new set started to come through. He's in his 80's now and still has teeth worthy of a Colgate commercial despite never having had any non-routine dental work.

Advertisement