Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW E66 CD changer stuck open

Options
  • 28-01-2019 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭

Just picked up a cracking E66 tonight, and on the drive home fiddling with buttons and switches etc, I somehow managed to get the CD changer on the dash stuck open?

Any ideas how I can fix this? :(

Big gaping hole on the dash now :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Find the fuse and reseat it after 5 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The CD changers on E65s start to fail after about 10 years, all kinds of issues, not reading certain CDs, not ejecting the cartridge, door sticking open etc etc. Can you get the cartridge out? Getting the dash apart isn't that difficult if you need to get to the changer. I'd recommend getting rid of it and replacing it with a Dension Gateway 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Thanks Voodoo (and bazz). The cartridge is stuck, and the door was stuck too but I managed to get it closed so there isn’t that gaping big hole in the dash at least.

Having a bit of trouble with the comfort seats too. Is there a way I can straighten the top part of the seat? (If that makes sense!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think a fuse or 3 is just gone.

My CD changer gave grief for about 3 months and never popped a fuse, then it was bin time. Hard to tell what you want the seat to do, is it a case of something not moving like it should or have you yet to figure out how they work? The rotary knob just so you know spins clockwise and anti clockwise and also pushes left/right, up/down. Its not apparent at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

How in the name of all that's holy are the E65/66's so troublesome with electrics?

They were a huge advancement in technology over the previous E38 and that new tech was in it's infancy so inevitably it would be troublesome. Facelift models were supposed to be more reliable though.

In fairness though if all that is wrong with Duke's is a stuck cd changer then that's not the end of the world.

They're not as troublesome as people think, you do see the same handful of problems occurring over and over on the Facebook groups, mostly easy fixes, much the same as the E38. You're stabbing in the dark without diagnostic software though when troubleshooting, pretty much the same as any car nowadays.

Yeah, to be fair everything else seems to work - and there are a lot of buttons to press. We have two E66s in the house now, and the difference between the two is night and day in terms of spec, and it just transforms the interior.

However, I think I prefer the standard seats in the first to the comfort seats in this (I think they’re comfort seats). Regarding my question about the seats last night, I was wondering if this can be adjusted. It’s the same on both sides, and I find it much too upright and tight on the shoulders to be honest.

That's what I love about the comfort seats, I can have the upright section so far forwards it conforms to my back. To adjust it backwards, press the button that corresponds to the upright section of the seat and then rotate the knob anticlockwise.

• Advertisement

Have a look at this video, I'd imagine it would be similar:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Story, Duke? Any pics, any details of what you got and what you paid for it? Early 735i picked up for peanuts I would wager?
    bazz26 wrote: »
    In fairness though if all that is wrong with Duke's is a stuck cd changer then that's not the end of the world.

I'd be a lot more worried about paying the motor tax on it :D

Just came across a pic of my old E38 735i yesterday. Oh the years and years of just taking a deep breath once a year and then just coughing up the motor tax for the full year up front. Miss that car though, awesome machine.

That's what I love about the comfort seats, I can have the upright section so far forwards it conforms to my back. To adjust it backwards, press the button that corresponds to the upright section of the seat and then rotate the knob anticlockwise.

I tried both the top right and left buttons with no joy. Top right will adjust the whole seat back, which helps but not a lot!

It’s no big deal anyway, I’ll get used to it I’m sure. I’m just used to the other seats, big comfortable arm chairs with no fuss at all!

unkel wrote: »
    Story, Duke? Any pics, any details of what you got and what you paid for it? Early 735i picked up for peanuts I would wager?

Both 06 730d’

Picked up the first in Merlin before Christmas and this one yesterday out of a main dealer (trade)

As for what I paid, slightly over bangernomics money for both - taxed and tested - and fairly hassle free on both counts so far.

New one has comfort seats with the active button (whatever that does!), electric rear blinds all round, soft close doors, sunroof, auto boot lid, cd changer and a few other bits. The other has none of that!

One for the folks and one for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Congratulations and well wear! An E65 with comfort seats is a fine machine.

When I first got mine 5 years ago it took me about a month to find optimum seating position, what with 14 different adjustments and all, but I wasn't very scientific about it, always faffing about whilst on the move. Better to spend time when stationary and get it close, use Recaro video as a guide. That top half of seat is top left button, the long one.

If the battery is old the CD changer will initialise each time you start the car if it's been lying up anytime, the IBS (Intelligent Battery System) turns off everything if it detects low voltage . I have N52 petrol, no experience of oil burner but PM me if you want to discuss, I have done a bit of DIY on mine.

https://youtu.be/xnLKdubxRcI

unkel wrote: »
    One for the folks and one for yourself?

That’s the plan, but I have will have to have a cull of the fleet pretty soon to accommodate two barges like these!

Just for you Mr. Duke.

If yours doesn't do any of the above, something might be amiss.

Hahaha, thanks for that. I was twisting the knob instead of pushing it forward. All sorted now.

As an aside, I’m well jealous of your heated and ventilated seats. I only have the active button, which is a bit crap!

• Advertisement

Any idea what this is? The other car doesn't have it

Next to the driver's fog

33056128598_fc65409183_c.jpg

Any idea what this is? The other car doesn't have it

Next to the driver's fog

33056128598_fc65409183_c.jpg

youve got radar cruise control lad. a rare enough find.

Jaysus I don't know myself with all this newfangled technology :pac:

Nice. Active cruise control is a godsend when you're on a busy M50. If only it could steer the car for ya too like my Hyundai econobox :p

Jaysus I don't know myself with all this newfangled technology :pac:

Just try not to let a stone chip the 'lens' on it, that silly module is 1400 quid or so and if it breaks you lose even normal cruise.

He can have his butler walk in front of the car clearing stones. That's what I do.

He can have his butler walk in front of the car clearing stones. That's what I do.

I prefer to have him roll out red carpet in front of me when I'm driving along :pac:

How in the name of all that's holy are the E65/66's so troublesome with electrics?
    They're not as troublesome as people think...
    Yeah, to be fair everything else seems to work...

I may have jinxed myself when I said this..

I'm having a bit of trouble that I'd really appreciate a bit of advice on. I have a couple of warning lights coming on the dash simultaneously after a few minutes driving. They are:

“Brake and drive control systems failure”

“Parking brake fault”

“Run flat indicator failure”

Had this diagnosed as a faulty abs wheel speed sensor, back right. Replaced it today, cleared the codes, drove away at about 1pm and all was fine for a little while but the above warning lights came back on.

There was no mention at all of the abs module itself being the culprit when I had it plugged in, so I'm really hoping it is indeed not - but please put me out of my misery if the above is a a hallmark of the module itself being faulty..

Any ideas?!

Thanks (I know I should probably start a thread)

I would clear the codes once more and see if it returns. Sometimes it can take a bit of time for error codes to become inactive again. It does seem to be related to the ABS/wheel sensing side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

There used to be a great forum resource in the UK for BMW but the lad that was hosting it died..... anyway one of the reoccurring themes with multiple electrical issues seemed to be make sure the battery is in tip top condition.

I may have jinxed myself when I said this..
    and at the risk of doing the same.... mine is facelift November 2006 build and have not had any gremlins, I was on original battery until a couple of months ago and only swapped it whilst diagnosing bad starter.

Advertisement