Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW EGR cooler recall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

I got the recall letter there last week, I've a 2013 f30 320d. The letter says they need the car for 3 or 4 hours. I booked it in with Martin Reilly in sligo but the earliest date they could give me was April first! Just wondering will it definitely be changed or will they just test it to see is it ok?
    I've not experienced any of the symptoms mentioned and the cars now on 117,000 miles. Also I think it's pretty crazy they're not going to give people loaner cars while they do whatever they have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

huggy15 wrote: »
    I got the recall letter there last week, I've a 2013 f30 320d. The letter says they need the car for 3 or 4 hours. I booked it in with Martin Reilly in sligo but the earliest date they could give me was April first! Just wondering will it definitely be changed or will they just test it to see is it ok?
    I've not experienced any of the symptoms mentioned and the cars now on 117,000 miles. Also I think it's pretty crazy they're not going to give people loaner cars while they do whatever they have to do!

I think they will replace it for you. Just because it's not leaking now doesnt mean it won't start leaking at some stage in future.

The reason for the delay is because there is a shortage of parts available. If they were just going to test it, I'm fairly certain that you would get a booking before April.

The only reason our 420d was held was because it was leaking. That's my read on the situation anyway.

Yeah true, better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

Gona get them to check the timing chain stretch on my car while it's in as it is the renound n47. Kill two birds with one stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭sk8board

I have a 152 420d GC. When it was 6 months old it went into limp mode one day and this sensor was replaced. Fair enough.
    It happened again 12 months later (Aug ‘17) and again the same sensor was replaced. It’s the only issue I’ve ever had.

I was getting new tyres at the same dealer in Dec and they asked if I got the letter, which I haven’t. They said I shouldn’t wait until my next service as it was 15k away and to book the car in if I don’t get the letter before Feb (i.e now).
    Sounds like there’s a long lead time, but I’ll call them next week and see what’s the story

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Get off my soapbox

I dropped my f30 330 in to BMW to get a set of wipers and they said sorry the egr recall needs to be done. I said I hadnt got the letter, too late they had put the key in the service dock and now could not release the car as they would be held liable should something happen. I was told it would be done on the day and they gave me a one series to take away. Rang me that afternoon to say part was not available and it would be a few days.

Then rang me and said part would not be available for 6-8 weeks :eek: After a bit of debate :cool: I was to get a lease car.
    Then they rang the following day to say that they got the part and car would be ready the following day which it was.

Now I wonder has anyone else found a difference where the egr was replaced, power seems to be slightly down and fuel consumption is up. I brought it back and BMW checked it and said there are no issues. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Now I wonder has anyone else found a difference where the egr was replaced, power seems to be slightly down and fuel consumption is up. I brought it back and BMW checked it and said there are no issues. :mad:

That's interesting, I wonder is there some sort of broader emissions software update that goes along with the install of the new EGR cooler.

Does anyone know if the EGR cooler is a standalone part, or is it integrated into the whole EGR assembly, and needs to be replaced as one unit?

I think BMW should have been more organised about sending the letter out for the recall. Lots of owners on here being inconvenienced with long wait time and having to argue for a rental car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Where would you check to see if your car has been recalled? Bought a 141 520d on Monday which is going through change of ownership, so I won’t have received a letter even if it was sent....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A main dealer will be able to tell you.

www.bmwservice.ie if you type your registration and mileage in on that page it should tell you if your due the recall. This is the note I got. http://imgur.com/c6ExZ0F

www.bmwservice.ie if you type your registration and mileage in on that page it should tell you if your due the recall. This is the note I got. http://imgur.com/c6ExZ0F

Thanks - just checked mine and sure enough I have that same warning note. It also registered that I have the 5 year service pack.

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote: »
    Thanks - just checked mine and sure enough I have that same warning note. It also registered that I have the 5 year service pack.

Ditto - also due in having checked above link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Our cars fuel economy has deteriorated a bit since the egr replacement. Haven’t noticed any increase in power though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Pops_20 wrote: »

We have been given a Hyundai Kona from Europcar. €100 deposit as mentioned above, and could have it for a month. Awful yoke :o

Seriously?

Just what would it take - in addition to engine-killing timing chains and passenger-killing egr valves - for you to describe your BMW as such?

I've no idea how BMW is maintaining it's reputation when it appears to have lost the engineering skills it once had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

route66 wrote: »
    Seriously?

Just what would it take - in addition to engine-killing timing chains and passenger-killing egr valves - for you to describe your BMW as such?

I've no idea how BMW is maintaining it's reputation when it appears to have lost the engineering skills it once had.

The fact BMW has an apparent excess of muppets in its design department doesnt preclude an owner from forming an opinion that the Hyundai loaner is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Old diesel wrote: »
    The fact BMW has an apparent excess of muppets in its design department doesnt preclude an owner from forming an opinion that the Hyundai loaner is awful.

Who mentioned design?

sk8board wrote: »
    I have a 152 420d GC. When it was 6 months old it went into limp mode one day and this sensor was replaced. Fair enough.
    It happened again 12 months later (Aug ‘17) and again the same sensor was replaced. It’s the only issue I’ve ever had.

I was getting new tyres at the same dealer in Dec and they asked if I got the letter, which I haven’t. They said I shouldn’t wait until my next service as it was 15k away and to book the car in if I don’t get the letter before Feb (i.e now).
    Sounds like there’s a long lead time, but I’ll call them next week and see what’s the story

I called joe Duffy today and they said there is currently a back log on the part, and therefore a queue, and are prioritizing people in for regular service who need the replacement.
    He booked me in for 2 months time (apr 5th), and said they are expecting no part shortage by then.

Got a call back from the dealer this morning and booked in for 15th March. Replacement car offered when I asked, no issue at all.

The dealer says i would need to book a courtesy car and transfer my insurance. Seems like way too much hassle. Looks like I'll be stuck there for a few hours🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Globally , has there been any negative feedback after the egr cooler replacement?

The VW "upgrade" to their egr had a lot of negative experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The dealer says i would need to book a courtesy car and transfer my insurance. Seems like way too much hassle. Looks like I'll be stuck there for a few hours🙄

Won't cost anything to transfer insurance.. and if you're naughty you can do naughty things to the car.

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote:
    Globally , has there been any negative feedback after the egr cooler replacement?

mikeecho wrote:

Would it be a bad decision if i was to choose not to get the cooler replaced? My cars at 117000 miles and I've had absolutely no symptoms. I'd hate to think I'd get the upgrade done and regret it after if the car drove differently after.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KFed

I think the issue, if your car is affected, is that it can spontaneously burst into flames.

I think in Korea and n. America they had houses go up in flames (car parked outside, went on fire).

Personally I'd suffer the fuel economy and power reduction consequences (if any) rather than run the risk of a fire.

You'd hope it's a remote risk but if car goes up, you're parked near another car, house, tree, whatever, it's not that big of a jump to see there's a risk to life at worst, At best risk to property.

A neighbours car went on fire two doors down from me before. Was well ablaze when I noticed. By time fire brigade arrived hedges and trees had caught and fire was heading for the upvc eves soffit and guttering. Entirely possible that of it happened in dead of night and not summer evening time (I.e. daylight) that it could have been a more serious incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I saw a relativity new BMW up in flames on the M6 before Christmas. Think it was a 141 3 or 5 series.

This might explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KFed

Imagine the terror of having kids strapped in also if it went on fire...

Finally, if your car is affected, and you declined the repair, if there ever was a fire I presume your insurer would decline to cover your loss and bmw would also wash their hands of you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Numbers. This came to me from someone that should know, there is a total of 16,000 vehicles involved, and as of yesterday, supposedly 13,000 of the letters have gone out. There is indeed a problem with parts availability on some of the earlier models, which is making for problems sourcing enough rental cars to cover the demand, there are 50 cars going out per day at the moment, and only 10 per day coming back in, at a time of year when rental fleets have not yet expanded to cover the summer period, so there are "concerns" about availability over the next month or two, given the uncertainty of timescale for parts supply.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

KFed wrote: »
    Imagine the terror of having kids strapped in also if it went on fire...

Finally, if your car is affected, and you declined the repair, if there ever was a fire I presume your insurer would decline to cover your loss and bmw would also wash their hands of you.

You'd want to be an awful clown to decline a check up/repair of something like this and IMO you'd deserve to have your insurer decline to cover you and have BMW wash their hands of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

mikeecho wrote: »

Would it be a bad decision if i was to choose not to get the cooler replaced? My cars at 117000 miles and I've had absolutely no symptoms. I'd hate to think I'd get the upgrade done and regret it after if the car drove differently after.

This is how useless rumors start.

This is completely different to what VW did.

VW issued a software update that changed how components operated in an attempt to reduce emissions and in turn they are seeing some failures of (what was already a failure prone) EGR valves.

BMW have identified that they have fitted a defective EGR cooler, that can cause the car to go up in flames and are replacing any that a test shows to be defective.

Your car, if anything will drive better after getting the new part fitted and will be less likely to go on fire. It'd be a terrible idea not to get the inspection done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Totally agree. a car fire is way too serious an issue to ignore. the speed at which it can spread is truly frightening.

i got the recall letter a couple of week ago, but my BMW dealer can not fit me in until March.
    my 5 series is relatively new, with very low mileage. no symptoms that i can see, hear or smell thankfully.

i aint leaving the dealership without a replacement, and i've told them so. i live some 40 miles away, so it's not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

Spoke to my local dealer. 30% of cars inspected are being grounded.

The crazy bit is that there are no parts available currently, there's a lead time of a few weeks. Praying my car doesn't need to be immediately impounded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's called covering your ass.

Advertisement