Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

not good

N9UqabG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Dropped the wife's car in for a service and the recall this morning. After being told when booking it that it would be a case of no car at all if grounded the service guy was the polar opposite, properly sound and promised a similarly sized car if it was found to be faulty.

Dunno if it's a policy change or what. He did mention about 15% are impacted by the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I brought my 161 reg F10 to a dealer to be inspected in early December. They said it would take a few hours. I had a meeting 40 miles away later on the same day so I asked if they could provide me with a loaner car. I was offered a 181 reg X1 or a 151 reg F10. Took the F10 and was changed €12 for the day. When I returned the next day I was told the EGR wasn’t very bad but they had replaced it anyway. I was surprised at this because my car hadn’t had any symptoms.
    I did notice my mpg went from a steady 48.3 to 45 after the fix but in the weeks since it has moved back up to 47mpg. I’m glad I have it done now.
    I didn’t receive a letter or email from my dealer or BMW and still haven’t. I think they should be more on the ball than this and should ensure everyone knows exactly what needs to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I had my f30 330d in this morning for the recall and and before i handed over the keys i wanted to be sure i would be given a replacement if they needed to hold onto the car,the girl in the service dept said they would and BMW would contact me and pass on my details to the rental company if needed.

She rang me about two hours later saying my car was affected by the issue and they would need to hold it and she didnt know how long they would need it for because there were waiting on the parts and there was about 20 cars ahead of me but shouldn't be more than the end of next week,BMW then rang me followed by the rental company and a couple of hours later the loaner was delivered to me in work.

All in all it was a fairly painless process,my only gripe is they said they wouldnt be able to provide a like for like replacement and they gave me a 1.6 Fiat Tido,big change from a 3L auto into a 1.6 manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

She rang me about two hours later saying my car was affected by the issue and they would need to hold it and she didnt know how long they would need it for because there were waiting on the parts and there was about 20 cars ahead of me but shouldn't be more than the end of next week,

May I ask what part of the country you are in? Seems to be a longer wait for parts in Cork.

• Advertisement

Pops_20 wrote: »
    May I ask what part of the country you are in? Seems to be a longer wait for parts in Cork.

Im in Waterford the replacement car is up to the 21st they said next week they should have the parts but to be honest she didnt seem to sure,ive to go back in tomorrow to get stuff out of my car so ill ask them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Parts waiting list should be exactly the same wherever you are in the country.

The new EGR valve needed for a Cork based 520d is ultimately coming from the exact same place as an EGR valve for a Longford based 520d.

Might be that a Cork dealer is giving a longer estimated time for the part to come in but ultimately the delivery time should be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Old diesel wrote: »
    Parts waiting list should be exactly the same wherever you are in the country.

The new EGR valve needed for a Cork based 520d is ultimately coming from the exact same place as an EGR valve for a Longford based 520d.

Might be that a Cork dealer is giving a longer estimated time for the part to come in but ultimately the delivery time should be the same.

totally agree there shouldn't be any difference worth talking about.

does anybody know,

are BMW within their rights to impound your car if they find a fault?
    can you refuse?
    would they require you to sign some sort of disclaimer?

totally agree there shouldn't be any difference worth talking about.

does anybody know,

are BMW within their rights to impound your car if they find a fault?
    can you refuse?
    would they require you to sign some sort of disclaimer?

This is a fault that could potentially lead to a fire.

I would thus take the view that.....

1) I don't want the car back until it's fixed.

2) the focus should then be on getting BMW to either supply a replacement car OR compensation for the cost of hiring a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Now I wonder has anyone else found a difference where the egr was replaced, power seems to be slightly down and fuel consumption is up. I brought it back and BMW checked it and said there are no issues. :mad:

That's because it was really a secret dieselgate fix, your NOX emissions are now within spec :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    That's because it was really a secret dieselgate fix, your NOX emissions are now within spec :D

I'm kind of suspecting that myself...

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

so are you saying, there's nothing wrong with the EGR at all and this recall is just a sham?
    :confused:

so are you saying, there's nothing wrong with the EGR at all and this recall is just a sham?

There is an issue with the EGR cooler as they are physically leaking. There may be some sort of software update that goes along with the install of the new part, but nothing as drastic as an emissions update, similar to the one that affected VWs.

People have been saying that they have noticed a drop in fuel economy after the new part was installed. That might be down the ECU having to "re-learn" the optimum fuelling settings after being disconnected during the repair.
    I might be wrong but that's my feeling on the situation.

A key issue with VW is that they were asking the EGR to do a lot more work (ditto injectors also afaik) via the software update - but not changing (upgrading) the EGR valve itself.

BMW are changing the EGR - so if they are making a software change as well - hopefully the car will be able to handle any changes a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Ardent

My car is being looked at as we speak. The dealer told me that if all looked ok upon visual inspection I'll be able to go home with the car and no further action will be required.

I'm confused - are BMW not replacing all EGR valves regardless as part of this recall??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Ardent wrote: »
    My car is being looked at as we speak. The dealer told me that if all looked ok upon visual inspection I'll be able to go home with the car and no further action will be required.

I'm confused - are BMW not replacing all EGR valves regardless as part of this recall??

In my case it wasn't replaced, it was just inspected. I'm going to look for written statement that it's safe though.

I don't understand are some cars fitted with different parts? I mean what's to say it fine now but in 50,000 miles it doesn't develop the fault. Its as clear as mud at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Erm… no totally a joke

Xcellor wrote: »
    In my case it wasn't replaced, it was just inspected. I'm going to look for written statement that it's safe though.

I don't understand are some cars fitted with different parts? I mean what's to say it fine now but in 50,000 miles it doesn't develop the fault. Its as clear as mud at the moment...

it'll be interesting to see if they give you that written confirmation it's ok.
    keep us informed please.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

F11 530d owner here. Got the letter and car is booked in to Frank Keane in June!

Was on my way to a removal earlier on when I got a strong burning smell and smoke started coming through the vents. Pulled over, turned off the car and got the wife and child the fook out.

Popped the bonnet and there was no more smoke / fire but a strong burny smell remained. Whatever event caused it seemed to have ended. Brought the car back home and left it there.

Not entirely sure what path to take next. Do I send her in to BMW and risk a big bill if it's unrelated or get an Indy to check it out first?

Not all that comfortable driving it and certainly won't be putting the girls back in it until I have it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I would ring that emergency number on the letter and get them to collect the car. You can't drive it now after that, too risky. The egr will be replaced at no cost. If it's not the egr you'll have to get it sorted either way.. Best of luck with it BN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Did that this morning. They said to call Frank Keane when they open @ 10am. Said they would collect the car and provide a replacement for up to three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

Hello,

Does anyone know the years or chassis affected?
    I have a 161 420d and didn't get a recall letter yet.

Thanks

Hello,

Does anyone know the years or chassis affected?
    I have a 161 420d and didn't get a recall letter yet.

Thanks

Go to www.bmwservice.ie. Enter your registration number and mileage on the car. It will tell you if your car is affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭Ardent

I got the all clear after my last post on Friday. Drove home after the inspection, no further action required apparently. 2013 520D Touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Saw an F10 bellowing white smoke on the N11 the other day. Looked like it was on fire but the driver just kept driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

My 520d was towed away 2.5 weeks ago. It was showing the Drivetrain error, warning lights and losing power. Have made lots of calls to BMW who hope that the parts will be in in about 2 weeks- no certainty of the timeline or how many cars are ahead of mine to be repaired. My car has not even reached the dealer yet, it is still sitting in a holding bay somewhere. I have been using rental cars from europcars through BMW with a deposit of €100. The first one i got had a 3 warning lights on it for 5 days before they changed it. A lot of calls to BMW + europcars and no idea when I will get my car back. Very frustrating!

Obviously safety is a priority and I don't want it back until it's fixed but extremely annoying all the same!

This all highlights the need for manufacturers to get on top of customer service.

So far this EGR recall looks like denting the perception customers affected have of BMW as a brand.

They need to get on top of their reliability too so that the cars are giving less hassle in first place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Old diesel wrote: »
    So far this EGR recall looks like denting the perception customers affected

BMW's reputation for engineering quality has been death by a thousand cuts for years now. The company has lost its way, just look at the grotesque designs appearing, X7, New 7. Their marketing has somehow retained the sheen but the company is not what it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 prezes_a

Hi BMW keep my car for over 3weeks due to EGR recall,give me VW golf from eurocar(100e deposit).ring them few times ask when car be ready they dont nie,its a joke that big car dealer dont now when car be ready and when they gonna have the parts.car is out of road i pay taxroad,finances for the car who give me this money back?!i was send the complain and looking for some good deal from BMW ireland.maybe if gonna be more people toguether whe can do something

• Advertisement

red petal wrote: »
    My 520d was towed away 2.5 weeks ago. It was showing the Drivetrain error, warning lights and losing power. Have made lots of calls to BMW who hope that the parts will be in in about 2 weeks- no certainty of the timeline or how many cars are ahead of mine to be repaired. My car has not even reached the dealer yet, it is still sitting in a holding bay somewhere. I have been using rental cars from europcars through BMW with a deposit of €100. The first one i got had a 3 warning lights on it for 5 days before they changed it. A lot of calls to BMW + europcars and no idea when I will get my car back. Very frustrating!

Obviously safety is a priority and I don't want it back until it's fixed but extremely annoying all the same!

Im in the same boat as you and im finding this very frustrating i rang the garage today looking for an update as i was told by two different people that i would have it by the end of this week,the guy today who at least was honest told me not a hope this week and he really didnt know when the parts would be in,i then rang BMW asking for a bigger engine car than what i was given and they more or less said not a hope too!

Advertisement