Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW EGR cooler recall

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Im in the same boat as you and im finding this very frustrating i rang the garage today looking for an update as i was told by two different people that i would have it by the end of this week,the guy today who at least was honest told me not a hope this week and he really didnt know when the parts would be in,i then rang BMW asking for a bigger engine car than what i was given and they more or less said not a hope too!

Talking to someone in the know on the hire side of things, there are over 500 cars out to BMW at the moment, rising every day, and that has caused some pressure points due to the time needed to get extra cars in to the fleet ahead of schedule, there would normally be very few new arrivals this month, and to make it worse, there are very few "BMW" spec cars in the hire fleets, as they don't get the call for them under normal circumstances.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Im in the same boat as you and im finding this very frustrating i rang the garage today looking for an update as i was told by two different people that i would have it by the end of this week,the guy today who at least was honest told me not a hope this week and he really didnt know when the parts would be in,i then rang BMW asking for a bigger engine car than what i was given and they more or less said not a hope too!

If your car is affected by the egr issue, then potentially, you could be without the car for some time. There’s guys in the UK that have lost their cars for over 2 months due to the parts shortage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

kceire wrote: »
    If your car is affected by the egr issue, then potentially, you could be without the car for some time. There’s guys in the UK that have lost their cars for over 2 months due to the parts shortage.

i heard from a contact i know that some UK dealers have 50+ cars in awaiting parts/work.
    that's gonna take some time to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

kceire wrote: »

Yeah mine is affected and is sitting in the garage the past week,hopefully not for another two months anyway :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I got an electrical burning smell and smoke started coming through the vents Friday. Being aware of the egr cooler fault I called the emergency number and they lifted the car Saturday morning. I'm now in an Auris Hybrid that wouldn't pull the skin off a sausage. Funny thing is I'm not even sure the fault is related and probably won't know for weeks! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

I called my local BMW dealer, which I am assuming it will go to when it leaves the holding area. They already have 60 cars there waiting to be repaired for the same thing. Some are there 4 weeks already and they have no idea how many more cars will come into them and when they will receive the parts or quantities.

Pretty much the only answer I've gotten from BMW on any and all questions is "we don't know".

I don't understand how there is no legal enforcement for a reasonable repair time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

red petal wrote: »
    I don't understand how there is no legal enforcement for a reasonable repair time.
    Given the limited available resources, do you want it done right or done quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Given the limited available resources, do you want it done right or done quickly?

Right and quickly. If it can't be done quickly, there should be an estimated time frame and communication from them. They would be quick enough to take my car away if I missed payments on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Are there any cars coming back to owners after the fix.

I mean is it a case that they are making some progress through the backlog albeit far too slow.

Or is the process at a complete standstill

• Registered Users Posts: 13 prezes_a

Just ring them few minutes ago still dont now when my car will be fixed,im really pist off.i dont understand how such big dealer dont now when get the parts.lads maybe we can go to silister and sort it out someway?

• Advertisement

prezes_a wrote: »
    Just ring them few minutes ago still dont now when my car will be fixed,im really pist off.i dont understand how such big dealer dont now when get the parts.lads maybe we can go to silister and sort it out someway?

BMW are to blame for no parts.

The dealer is likely as annoyed as you are as it's in their interest to get your car into workshop, fixed and out again

i fully appreciate the gravity of the problem and the essential nature of the works (if) required. nobody in their right mind wants to take chances with a potential fire.

however that said, the whole way this has been handled from the initial design fault to the slowness of getting the cars in and then getting the required parts and fitting them, has been shambolic.
    there is no question that this has done serious damage to the brand, and will take BMW quite some time to recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

there is no question that this has done serious damage to the brand, and will take BMW quite some time to recover from.

Nikasil
    Vanos
    Petrol coil packs
    Timing Chains
    F10 corroding doors
    EGR

BMW engineering shortcomings go back decades, this is just the latest. The slick marketing and showroom appeal blind most people to their failings.

Nikasil
    Vanos
    Petrol coil packs
    Timing Chains
    F10 corroding doors
    EGR

BMW engineering shortcomings go back decades, this is just the latest. The slick marketing and showroom appeal blind most people to their failings.

E46 boot floor/rear subframe,

150 ps E46 320d swirl flaps and turbos,

Cooling systems in E39/E46 era,

E38 7 series fuel tanks.

E65 7 series issues on early cars.

Not a great list.

God be with the days a normal non enthusiast driver like my Uncle could pick up an E34 on 2nd hand market and drive it normally and not really give thought to stuff going wrong.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

red petal wrote: »
    Right and quickly. If it can't be done quickly, there should be an estimated time frame and communication from them. They would be quick enough to take my car away if I missed payments on it.
    Given their available resources, you more than likely won't get it done both right and quickly.
    This doesn't absolve them from crap communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Pistolpete1

Hi,
    Looking for some info on this,

My car is part of the recall and booked in for April.

The garage have told me to call the emergency number on the recall letter if I have any issues between now and then.

If something does happen, (Car go on Fire) who is responsible for this? Will BMW cover the cost of the car as it is part of the recall and booked in or would it be claimed from my insurance?

Old diesel wrote: »
    E46 boot floor/rear subframe,

150 ps E46 320d swirl flaps and turbos,

Cooling systems in E39/E46 era,

E38 7 series fuel tanks.

E65 7 series issues on early cars.

Not a great list.

God be with the days a normal non enthusiast driver like my Uncle could pick up an E34 on 2nd hand market and drive it normally and not really give thought to stuff going wrong.

knowledge can be a burden sometimes.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Are there any cars coming back to owners after the fix.

I mean is it a case that they are making some progress through the backlog albeit far too slow.

Or is the process at a complete standstill

Looks like its at a complete standstill to me,like others have said when you contact the garage or BMW all you're hearing is "dont know"

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

I work in a BMW Dealership , rather not say which one , the EGR recall is killing us , we have about 250 people on a list who are not having symptoms that we need to book in, no idea when we can get parts in.

We have about 50 cars on site and about 20ish cars in storage all waiting for parts. BMW are providing replacement cars but mostly fiestas etc. We cant even get our own customers or new customers in for service its a bit of joke having to tell people we really don't know. We cant get service customers in till April at the earliest.

Its a joke really but not a whole lot that can be done, if your car is a fire risk you have to bite the bullet, its a very bad situation but better than having a car go on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I’m booked in for March 15th but just out of curiosity - can this work be done independently with non-BMW parts?

Completely understand this would incur a cost but could potentially save someone losing their car for a few weeks /months. (Personally I will be going BMW but just wondering)

• Advertisement

IrishZeus wrote: »
    I’m booked in for March 15th but just out of curiosity - can this work be done independently with non-BMW parts?

Completely understand this would incur a cost but could potentially save someone losing their car for a few weeks /months. (Personally I will be going BMW but just wondering)

Has to be done in an authorized BMW workshop.

I work in a BMW Dealership , rather not say which one , the EGR recall is killing us , we have about 250 people on a list who are not having symptoms that we need to book in, no idea when we can get parts in.

We have about 50 cars on site and about 20ish cars in storage all waiting for parts. BMW are providing replacement cars but mostly fiestas etc. We cant even get our own customers or new customers in for service its a bit of joke having to tell people we really don't know. We cant get service customers in till April at the earliest.

Its a joke really but not a whole lot that can be done, if your car is a fire risk you have to bite the bullet, its a very bad situation but better than having a car go on fire.

What is the actual situation with the parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

It's a worldwide problem with the diesels, so there's a huge drain on resources for the parts supplier. I think it all started in Korea IIRC. The auld lads is on a waiting list in Waterford too....

Actual situation is we really don't know know. The parts are expensive (about 800 euro) so what I think is happening is they are being tight with them. There basically getting the cars in for a check , if the part is needed we have to send a case off to BMW. They then send the parts in but this is taking weeks and isn't acceptable to anyone.

There's talk there changing this process , but in Ireland the rate of replacement is far higher than the UK which is causing a few issues as BMW feel we are changing them over here when just the check is needed.

I feel sorry for anyone affected who has spent a lot of money on a premium car for this too happen.

It's a worldwide problem with the diesels, so there's a huge drain on resources for the parts supplier. I think it all started in Korea IIRC. The auld lads is on a waiting list in Waterford too....

I personally think they have them , but it's costing an absolute fortune and they want to change as little of them as possible so they keep changing the criteria of when it actually needs to be changed , and when just the check is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I'm interested, what exactly is being looked for to give an egr the ok? Surely given they are the same part from untraceable batches they are all potential failures and should all be replaced?
    The ones given the ok now could fail next week or month etc. From what I can see only the ones with an immediate threat to fire are being replaced because as you say the part is expensive!

rex-x wrote: »
    I'm interested, what exactly is being looked for to give an egr the ok? Surely given they are the same part from untraceable batches they are all potential failures and should all be replaced?
    The ones given the ok now could fail next week or month etc. From what I can see only the ones with an immediate threat to fire are being replaced because as you say the part is expensive!

Well any part could fail at anytime so you can never guarantee anything. I'm not a tech but my understanding of it is that if there's no visible damage to the cooler and there isn't any deposits of any kind it is fine and doesn't need replacing . Originally they were just changing them all and now they are doing this.

There are plans to change this again, to what I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Well any part could fail at anytime so you can never guarantee anything. I'm not a tech but my understanding of it is that if there's no visible damage to the cooler and there isn't any deposits of any kind it is fine and doesn't need replacing . Originally they were just changing them all and now they are doing this.

Yes but at some point even the ones now leaking did look fine too. If there is any chance of them going that way then it should be a blanket recall as they have all the same potential for leakage.
    It seems cheap is the order of the day with this issue, although I can understand why they may not have hundreds of thousands of egr valves lying around, it wouldn't be a commonly replaced part for BMW before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Curiosity - what % of the cars coming in now are actually getting new parts fitted?

• Advertisement

rex-x wrote: »
    Yes but at some point even the ones now leaking did look fine too. If there is any chance of them going that way then it should be a blanket recall as they have all the same potential for leakage.
    It seems cheap is the order of the day with this issue, although I can understand why they may not have hundreds of thousands of egr valves lying around, it wouldn't be a commonly replaced part for BMW before this.

Again every part that looks fine at some change can eventually fail , but I'd agree they should just replace them all even if it's just to cover themselves

Advertisement