Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW EGR cooler recall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Curiosity - what % of the cars coming in now are actually getting new parts fitted?

About one in 6/7

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Again every part that looks fine at some change can eventually fail , but I'd agree they should just replace them all even if it's just to cover themselves

Thanks for the insight.

Is it like for like part being replaced or a different new part being fitted?

My car was booked in for examination next June. Got smoke coming through the vents accompanied by an electrical burning smell last Friday. Called the emergency number and they lifted the car the following morning.

Is this one of the symptoms you have seen / heard of happening when the cooler is failing?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    My car was booked in for examination next June. Got smoke coming through the vents accompanied by an electrical burning smell last Friday. Called the emergency number and they lifted the car the following morning.

Is this one of the symptoms you have seen / heard of happening when the cooler is failing?

Smell of fumes in the cabin of the car can be a symptom along with what looks like white smoke. They are replacing them with a newer egr cooler as far as I am aware.

Smell of fumes in the cabin of the car can be a symptom along with what looks like white smoke. They are replacing them with a newer egr cooler as far as I am aware.

Cheers. Hoping they don't keep the car for weeks before inspection then claim it's something else (that I have to pay for)! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 prezes_a

Im from Waterford and my car is in the BMW garage 4weeks today,they still dont now when my car will be fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

With BMW changing the criteria on what needs to be changed i wonder do any of the cars been held in garages actually need the parts,anyone else tempted to go into the garage and demand their car back?,im thinking about going in and not leaving until i see prove that my car 100% needs the parts.

With BMW changing the criteria on what needs to be changed i wonder do any of the cars been held in garages actually need the parts,anyone else tempted to go into the garage and demand their car back?,im thinking about going in and not leaving until i see prove that my car 100% needs the parts.

Well you can take the fire risk car if you like and they'll wipe your hands of you , you'll have to sign a notice saying you know your vehicle is unsafe, it's pretty poor but better to wait it out.

And to be fair , most of the cars being grounded are after being checked and it's determined they need replacing , it's the ones that have been coming in the last two weeks or so that they've changed criteria.

Well you can take the fire risk car if you like and they'll wipe your hands of you , you'll have to sign a notice saying you know your vehicle is unsafe, it's pretty poor but better to wait it out.

To be honest its a risk im willing to take my car didnt display any of the symptoms and id much prefer to be driving my own car at a fire risk than the piece of shit they have given me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To be honest its a risk im willing to take my car didnt display any of the symptoms and id much prefer to be driving my own car at a fire risk than the piece of shit they have given me.

I'd rather get be putting pressure on BMW re ETAs on the part and then you get a fixed car back eventually.

It's not really worth the risk of taking the car back unfixed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

That F10 driver on the N11 days with white smoke bellowing out of his car must have had the same mindset!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i take it you dont have children.

Ring BMW customer service , give them a sob story that you need a good car for work with a big engine or whatever and they should buckle and give you one. But you didn't hear that from me :)

i take it you dont have children.

Single man with no kids and im in my car 99% of the time on my own,like i said its a risk im willing to take.

I was wrote complain to BMW irrland week ago,but not answers at all.We pay finances,road tax for our cars-when the cars are out of road,hold by BMW.maybe we can stay togheter and get them to cover(payed) for that time when they keep our cars?we have our rights more people better chance to win.any ideas???

Ring BMW customer service , give them a sob story that you need a good car for work with a big engine or whatever and they should buckle and give you one. But you didn't hear that from me :)

So,just off the phone with them,didnt give a sob story told them the truth on how unhappy i was with the car given to me,a bit of back and forth and she said they couldnt upgrade the car,i then told her i was going into the garage this afternoon and was willing to sign to a declaration understanding my car was a fire risk to get my own car back.

I was the put on hold for 10 minutes and she came back to me saying there was a mistake when i was given the car initially and i should of been given a bigger engine from the start but the rental company didn't have any,they talked to Allianz and now they are going to get me into something different either today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

So,just off the phone with them,didnt give a sob story told them the truth on how unhappy i was with the car given to me,a bit of back and forth and she said they couldnt upgrade the car,i then told her i was going into the garage this afternoon and was willing to sign to a declaration understanding my car was a fire risk to get my own car back.

I was the put on hold for 10 minutes and she came back to me saying there was a mistake when i was given the car initially and i should of been given a bigger engine from the start but the rental company didn't have any,they talked to Allianz and now they are going to get me into something different either today or tomorrow.

I held out that hope with them too, they said they were upgrading me to a C class when I told them I needed a bigger car. Little did I know, I was already in a class and they replaced it with a ford focus that rattles and roars and is 2 yrs older than the first car they gave me. This kind of stuff would be bearable if we at least knew an estimated repair time. With my car still sitting in the holding area 2 weeks later, 60 cars waiting in the dealer and who knows how many cars ahead of me in the holding area, it's a joke! There is no one taking control or ownership of it.

Really nothing that can be done, I wouldn't be taking the blame out on the dealers , nothing they can do. We'd rather have them in and out

Just to give people un update for anyone interested,they said i was getting upgraded to S class whatever that is,Enterprise car rental rang me and said they had a 1.7 Kia Sportage,i told them its still too small for me so BMW rang me straight away and said thats the biggest they can get me i said i only wanted a 2l minimum and they couldnt get one,so told them im going into get my own car.

Rang the garage and told them id be before they close and to get the car and whatever was i needed to sign ready,they in turn rang BMW who again rang me and i simply told them i wanted my own car back,long story short i signed a declaration in the garage and drove my car home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Dont get me wrong, the issue itself is a bit of a joke for a brand like this and it's very poor that BMW can't set a time frame for affected owners, even if it's a bad news timeline but I cannot get my head around your actions.

They aren't grounding these cars for the sport of it, they are grounding them and paying storage fees and replacement vehicle fees for every car that is grounded and they wouldn't be paying these significant costs unless they felt it was totally necessary. There is a very real and proven risk that these cars can and will go on fire.

To me, your actions are a little bit precious and I don't mean to offend you with that, but I'm curious as to why you needed your car back so so badly? Could you really not make do in a Sportage for a few weeks? I understand the risk to your personal health is small as if there is a fire you can just (ideally) pull in and get out, but if you own a new-ish BMW i'd expect you will be at a total loss now if there is a fire as BMW will wash their hands of it and so would an insurance company i'd expect.

You've clearly decided it's worth the risk, which is fine, as a grown adult, but I am curious as to why exactly?

Simple answer they couldnt give me a minimum 2L car as replacement,ive Been driving a 3L BMW the past 8 years so im not accepting a 1.7 KIA to be honest,if they really thought my car was a fire risk then they wouldnt of given it back.

Simple answer they couldnt give me a minimum 2L car as replacement,ive Been driving a 3L BMW the past 8 years so im not accepting a 1.7 KIA to be honest,if they really thought my car was a fire risk then they wouldnt of given it back.

They gave you back your car because you signed a disclaimer , not because it isn't a fire risk , it still is a fire risk , I wouldn't expect any assistance at all off BMW in the future. They usually cover a lot of stuff outside of warranty under good will , this won't happen for you now I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

They gave you back your car because you signed a disclaimer , not because it isn't a fire risk , it still is a fire risk , I wouldn't expect any assistance at all off BMW in the future. They usually cover a lot of stuff outside of warranty under good will , this won't happen for you now I'd say.

surely by signing such a disclaimer you couuld also be invalidating your insurance!
    i would say you're on a sticky wicket if you have a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

To be honest you sound like your throwing the toys out of the pram and coming off very petty. What's the big deal in running a 1.7l car for a few weeks, don't get faux outrage.

Get my car back ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜after 4 weeks ,Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

They really do think it's a fire risk, that's why they grounded it and made you sign a disclaimer to take it away, it's your problem now.

I'd understand if they gave you a Kia Picanto or a VW Up or some other tiny POS but I personally I think a Sportage, while not like for like is a reasonable temporary car.

Anyway sure it is what it is now.

My car was booked in for mid June. Like you I wasn't all that bothered. My car went (very briefly) on fire last Friday with my wife and child in it. BMW have my car now and I don't want it back until it has the all clear. I'm in an Auris Hybrid. It wouldn't pull the skin off a sausage. People don't let me out of junctions. I'm not all that happy in it. Better than being dead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Big Nasty wrote: »
    My car was booked in for mid June. Like you I wasn't all that bothered. My car went (very briefly) on fire last Friday with my wife and child in it. BMW have my car now and I don't want it back until it has the all clear. I'm in an Auris Hybrid. It wouldn't pull the skin off a sausage. People don't let me out of junctions. I'm not all that happy in it. Better than being dead though.

Did you get any warning signs before your car went on fire? I was with the dealer the other day to book mine in and he advised me to hold off for a fortnight. He did however tell me that the car would lose coolant before it would combust so if it did happen I would have had to drive on with a low coolant warning in the car.

• Advertisement

Did you get any warning signs before your car went on fire? I was with the dealer the other day to book mine in and he advised me to hold off for a fortnight. He did however tell me that the car would lose coolant before it would combust so if it did happen I would have had to drive on with a low coolant warning in the car.

Got a low coolant warning a few weeks back and had to put a liter in to top it up. Didn't think anything of it at the time.

When I say 'briefly went on fire' it didn't burn to the ground or anything. Something ignited and sent smoke coming through the air vents in the dash.

Advertisement