Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread VII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Anna Soubry (or was it Jess Phillips) alluded to the Minister for the 18th century Dublin based fiscal maneuvering in her speech.

She was actually quoting (or misquoting) an Irishman - Niall Fitzgerald - who called him "The honourable member for the 17th century."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Big Phil slating the UKs tariff regime, says the UK are seeking to frighten Ireland with it. They'll be looking at the legality of it and doesn't see it happening any time soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not sure what point you're making?

It's a poll with an option which means nothing. All that says is that 49% of respondents want to delay their desired but unspecified end game for some indeterminate length of time.

No intelligence can be drawn from such an option in a poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is anyone watching the live debate? John Baron is being comprehensively ignored.

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's a poll with an option which means nothing. All that says is that 49% of respondents want to delay their desired but unspecified end game for some indeterminate length of time.

No intelligence can be drawn from such an option in a poll.

I disagree, It illustrates that 34% of people are happy for Britain to crash out and 49% want it delayed. It's a very recent poll so most people would be aware of the binary option - crash out or extension. There were no other options. From that perspective, it's valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

briany wrote: »
    The DUP would love it, up until the point that the Westminster government starts legislating in favour of abortion and same-sex marriage.

Yeah, on the face of it, it's a DUP's wet dream, but I'd wonder if it's a Trojan horse - the start of GB winding down its involvement in the troublesome province. Irish Sea border today, abortion & same-sex marriage tomorrow, reduced public service next week; wouldn't be long before the majority couldn't see the point in red, white and blue kerbstones.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I disagree, It illustrates that 34% of people are happy for Britain to crash out and 49% want it delayed. It's a very recent poll so most people would be aware of the binary option - crash out or extension. There were no other options. From that perspective, it's valid.

Fair enough.

It informative as to support levels for dropping out with no deal. But that's about it.

Still quite high all things considered

lawred2 wrote: »
    Fair enough.

It informative as to support levels for dropping out with no deal. But that's about it.

Agreed. It illustrates nothing else other than the 49% don't want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Yeah, on the face of it, it's a DUP's wet dream, but I'd wonder if it's a Trojan horse - the start of GB winding down its involvement in the troublesome province. Irish Sea border today, abortion & same-sex marriage tomorrow, reduced public service next week; wouldn't be long before the majority couldn't see the point in red, white and blue kerbstones.

Britain, (England anyway), would love to wash it's hands of NI for good. It's a drain on the UK purse for no strategic advantage. All that's required is some pretext to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1105903793252823042

While the words "Tragedy", "Embarrassment" etc are getting thrown around, I think calamity is more accurate.

They will be made a holy show of when/if they try to negotiate their own trade deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

This is still only about party politics. Fox should be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't know if I'd go so far as jettisoning the province by attrition, but I could see the UK government wanting to punish the DUP in some way. This would all be predicated on another GE where the Cons achieved a majority, of course, but in that event, they could conceivably turn around to the DUP and say, "You want to be just like the rest of the UK? Well, here you go...."

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    This is still only about party politics. Fox should be ashamed.

Liam "EU deal will be the easiest deal in human history" Fox? Absolutely.

briany wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd go so far as jettisoning the province by attrition, but I could see the UK government wanting to punish the DUP in some way. This would all be predicated on another GE where the Cons achieved a majority, of course, but in that event, they could conceivably turn around to the DUP and say, "You want to be just like the rest of the UK? Well, here you go...."

Like constructive dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

maebee wrote: »
    Unionist farmer from Fermanagh very disillusioned with his elected reps, saying that NI will be resigned to a wasteland.
    "People need bread & butter on the table, they can't eat a flag." He admits that Dublin has been more concerned about NI than Westminster has. Worth a listen:

Lunchtime Live - from 12.08

https://www.newstalk.com/listen-back

The UK in a pathetic attempt in divide and conquer. Can you imagine these NI farmers having to compete with tariff free agricultural produce from the South while the Republic is enforcing EU tariffs on NI produce. It will end in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's a wonderful thread just next door where you can posit all of this. Your eloquence and intelligence would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Here goes the Spelman!

I'm glad Cooper moved that amendment. Cowardly of the government to pressurise Spelman to not move it. Also might force people into the open on their positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Inquitus wrote: »
    Here goes the Spelman!

Where are you watching this live?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

milhous wrote: »
    Where are you watching this live?

Here's Channel 4:

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Liam "EU deal will be the easiest deal in human history" Fox? Absolutely.
    Google autocompletes "disgraced f" to disgraced former defence secretary. :)

It should always be his prefix.

Sky News have decent panels and analysis too while the votes are ongoing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Hurrache wrote: »
    Sky News have decent panels and analysis too while the votes are ongoing.

They've been far better than the BBC throughout the whole Brexit debacle for me.

devnull wrote: »
    They've been far better than the BBC throughout the whole Brexit debacle for me.

Without a doubt. And I used to hate the channel. I probably will again in 5 years time when this is all done and dusted and normal service resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Is there a Parliament radio channel?

Kalyke wrote: »
    Is there a Parliament radio channel?

Audio only option on parliament link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BBC going live now too. It's all ramping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Steve Baker makes my blood boil. He is.so self important.

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1105875603163627520

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Amendment A (Caroline Spelman) Result

This calls for MPs to reject leaving without a deal in any circumstance.

PASSED

Yes - 312
    No - 308
    Majority - 4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement