Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super XV Rugby 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

In fairness it was a lovely ankle tap from Kuridrani, should still have held on though. Probably hit some dry grass haha

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Leger wasn't that bad after all but DMac could've been the difference. Congrats to the Landers bandwagon.:p
    troyzer wrote: »
    The crowds once again are awful. This is chronic.

Chiefs had over 12k so not terrible. Unless you are referring to the Aussie game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

hahashake wrote: »
    Leger wasn't that bad after all but DMac could've been the difference. Congrats to the Landers bandwagon.:p

Chiefs had over 12k so not terrible. Unless you are referring to the Aussie game?

12k for the first game of the season against another NZ team?

That's really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's really bad.

Waikato has a smaller population than Connacht. It's far from spectacular but is a pretty solid attendance.

That's really bad.

It isn't great but isn't really bad either. In theory the first game should be well-attended but it's still summer in NZ, there are still cricket internationals being played and and I'm sure plenty of people are going to the beach for the weekend rather than stay in humid 28C Hamilton. Would be a lot more travelling fans for another NI team too.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,956 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dunedin to hamilton is either a 2 hour flight costing €200... or its a 38 hour return drive :D

Hmm.

Maybe I'm being harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »
    Waikato has a smaller population than Connacht. It's far from spectacular but is a pretty solid attendance.

Just to play devil's advocate: surely rugby is far and away the most popular sport in Waikato while it would trail distantly in Connacht?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Just to play devil's advocate: surely rugby is far and away the most popular sport in Waikato while it would trail distantly in Connacht?

This is what I'm thinking. Maybe the equivalent would be a Galway match in the Connacht football championship?

This is what I'm thinking. Maybe the equivalent would be a Galway match in the Connacht football championship?

Galway's last home match in the championship was the Connacht semi final in Pearse Stadium last summer and had 8k in attendance.

Again, I'm not saying 12k is a great attendance but context is needed. It's far from a terrible showing.

• Advertisement

Galway's last home match in the championship was the Connacht semi final in Pearse Stadium last summer and had 8k in attendance.

Again, I'm not saying 12k is a great attendance but context is needed. It's far from a terrible showing.

Yeah I know. That's why I brought it up. Galway in the Connacht championship never brings in big crowds but the popularity of the sport, the population of the catchment area and the importance of the fixture makes it the best comparison.

So in that sense, it's not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Watching the Bulls against the Stormers and Rosco Specman, former 7's player, is making his debut for the Bulls. He just caught his first pass and out of nowhere drops the shoulder, leaves everybody for dead and scores his first try under the posts. This could be the first try of a great career, he might be a new superstar of rugby.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Watching the Bulls against the Stormers and Rosco Specman, former 7's player, is making his debut for the Bulls. He just caught his first pass and out of nowhere drops the shoulder, leaves everybody for dead and scores his first try under the posts. This could be the first try of a great career, he might be a new superstar of rugby.

He's 29....

troyzer wrote:
    He's 29....

Didn't realise that. I follow the sevens and he was there a few years but thought he was much younger. He was brilliant for the blitzboks.

eagle eye wrote: »
    troyzer wrote:
    He's 29....

Didn't realise that. I follow the sevens and he was there a few years but thought he was much younger. He was brilliant for the blitzboks.

He's actually 30 in a few weeks but yeah, a great 7s player.

I'll have to find the highlights to see the try.

He scores again, another good try.

Bulls the first home team to win this weekend.

In terms of new names to watch, Braydon Ennor and Tom Robinson were both excellent on debut in the Blues v Crusaders game.

In terms of new names to watch, Braydon Ennor and Tom Robinson were both excellent on debut in the Blues v Crusaders game.

Hopefully the last for my 25/1 accumulater to come in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Don't mention that game. Still pissed of by it.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

No kicker.... No win....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Only tuned in for the second half of stormers vs bulls, at which point the score was already 21-3.
    A lot of politics in WP rugby at the moment, players not wanting to play for assistant coach Paul Treu, had their main sponsor DHL involved to try and resolve the conflict. Has to be bad when players turn to their sponsors.
    Apparently the stormers only flew up to the game this morning then got stuck in traffic due to a bad accident which delayed the kick off time by 20mins. Not good management to leave it so late to travel to such a high altitude. Not much time to warm up either which wouldnt have helped.
    Damian De Allende looked piss poor in particular, compared to his Bok team mate Jessie Kriel who looked to have a good game for the Bulls.
    Handre Pollard on target with 8/8 kicks also had a great game.
    Good start to the season for the Bulls, even if it was in a very very empty Fortress Loftus. Deserved more fans on opening week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

For Specmans 2nd try, is there an argument for a double movement penalty?
    He's tackled, hits the ground, then gets back up with the tackler still holding him.

STjCCOV.gif
    NYuxTZ4.gif

Fantastic run all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Jacovs

For Specmans 2nd try, is there an argument for a double movement penalty?
    He's tackled, hits the ground, then gets back up with the tackler still holding him.

Fantastic run all the same

Im in 2 minds. I see what you are saying. But I also wonder is it momentum that brought him and the tackler back to their feet, with him then dropping to his knee as he reaches to place the ball?

I think it would be very harsh to call that a double movement. His initial momentum along with the direction and actions of the tackle bring him back to his feet/knees rather than a separate action by him. He's then entitled to place the ball.

The whole point of double movement is because you're required to release after completing the tackle. If double movement was allowed and you had to release then the ball carrier could just roll and if you tried to hold you'd be pinged for not releasing.

It's there for balance. So in this case, I don't think it's fair to say the tackle was complete nor had he placed the ball yet. It's not double movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Jacovs wrote: »
    Im in 2 minds. I see what you are saying. But I also wonder is it momentum that brought him and the tackler back to their feet, with him then dropping to his knee as he reaches to place the ball?
    See what your saying.
    Just thought it was a bit quick to give the try without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think it would be very harsh to call that a double movement. His initial momentum along with the direction and actions of the tackle bring him back to his feet/knees rather than a separate action by him. He's then entitled to place the ball.
    Extremely harsh
    See what your saying.
    Just thought it was a bit quick to give the try without question.
    Not at all. Dont see any ref at that level not giving try without a question unless there was something else to look at. Thats a try without question for me

Where's the defense SH

https://streamable.com/gi1tf#

Yes!!

Jaguarez 16 - 25 lions....

25/1 acca comes in :)

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Was a shanked kicked away from a draw. Crusaders got the rub of the green too, so as painful as a loss like that is, it shows there is improvement from last year.

Advertisement