Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How early is too early to go to bed?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Typical Irish thing to have to do the riding in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Asleep around 1am. Up around 7.30am

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Awake at 05:30, up at 6, out at 06:30. Don’t get home from work til ~8pm, need to wind down and chill out then. Should go to bed earlier but just can’t. Earliest I’m usually asleep is 11 which is too late.

I came home from work early once upon a time, had a splitting headache so went to bed at 6pm, woke at 7:45pm but thought it was 07:45am. Got into an awfully worked up state, washed face, brushed teeth, dragged on some clothes, jumped in the car and almost made it to work only for the friend I had text to say I’d be late ringing me to talk me down.. I had to pull over on the side of the road and it took a few minutes for him to reassure me that he wasn’t joking and it really was nighttime. So to answer your question OP 6pm is too early to go to bed IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

kal7 wrote: »
    I have it in my head that being in bed before 9.30pm is a bit sad.

No response why? Now we have a little one, I don't care much anymore

Not old enough yet to stay up and watch Glenroe?

ForestFire wrote: »
    Not old enough yet to stay up and watch Glenroe?

That trash was on at half 8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

LirW wrote: »
    I have a toddler, what is this sleep you're talking about?!

Don't worry about it...it's just a myth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Up at 6 and in bed before 11:30, more likely to go to bed “early” at the weekend than during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm always perplexed by the way this question is framed.

The specific time you get up or go to bed is entirely irrelevant. The specific times are irrelevant. It's about how many hours you sleep and if your getting enough for yourself. I think it's universally accepted that the amount of hours sleep one needs is completely individual.

Margaret Thatcher slept 4 hours per night it was widely reported. Preceded by a whiskey or 2 which I always found quite fascinating. I can't imagine Thatcher drinking at all least of all whiskey. Anyway, I digress. I was just alluding to the fact that ppl's sleeping requirements are individual and in some cases vary wildly.

Rarely in bed before 12 and usually 30 mins at least to get to sleep, alarm goes around 8:20 and up around 8:30 or so in the morning.

The period from 9 to 12 or so is my favorite part of the day.

I’m a night owl so given the choice I’d much prefer to be able to wait up until 2 or 3am and get up around 11am or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm always perplexed by the way this question is framed.

The specific time you get up or go to bed is entirely irrelevant. The specific times are irrelevant. It's about how many hours you sleep and if your getting enough for yourself. I think it's universally accepted that the amount of hours sleep one needs is completely individual.

Margaret Thatcher slept 4 hours per night it was widely reported. Preceded by a whiskey or 2 which I always found quite fascinating. I can't imagine Thatcher drinking at all least of all whiskey. Anyway, I digress. I was just alluding to the fact that ppl's sleeping requirements are individual and in some cases vary wildly.

I imagine circadian rhythm or whatever does impact what time you sleep being beneficial though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I've heard some medical people hypothesise that this may have been a contributory factor to her mental decline later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I go to bed around 11-12, get up at 5. 20 minute walk to work for 6.

Sometimes, maybe once or twice a month I do an "evening" shift. 3pm-11pm. I can't sleep for hours after them and usually just decide to stay up all night and go straight through the next day till about 10pm as these evening shifts are always followed by a day off.

Normal days off I might go to bed around 1-2am and get up for 9ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bluewolf wrote:
    I imagine circadian rhythm or whatever does impact what time you sleep being beneficial though

The individual's cirdcadian rhythm absolutely does. It's pretty much accepted at this stage that there are larks and owls. Owls in particular do quite badly when forced out of their natural rhythm, even when still getting their optimum amount of sleep.

I'm more fascinated by the number of people on this thread who only get up at 8am!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Usually in bed by 12.30, at least a half an hour to wind down, watch the telly and fall asleep. Up at 7.45.
    Even with 6/7hrs a night I still play catch up at the weekends. Probably need more like 8hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Usually go to bed around 1:30/2 and get up at 6:30 unless the kids have me up earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm more fascinated by the number of people on this thread who only get up at 8am!

I grew up in the 70s and 80s in a small town and I reckon most people got up at 8am. It's always stuck with me that 8am is the right time to get up at. It would give you 1 hour to wash, get dressed, eat breakfast, maybe watch some TV and go to school. I remember thinking that only dairy farmers got up earlier than 8am.

I feel cheated when I am forced to get up before 8am!

Sleep deprivation has been accepted by society but we will learn soon enough the negative health impacts that will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Greengrant wrote: »
    What's the problem, why doesn't the toddler sleep through the night?

The toddler sleeps, it's just a loud, tossy turny sleeper that I can hear (walls thin) and my own sleep isn't the deepest and best to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭alloywheel

7 or seven and a half hours should be enough for most adults, anything more is a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

8 hours all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cheminho

I can function on a minimum of 6 hours but not consecutively. More than 8 can have a negative effect on me.

• Advertisement

Cheminho wrote: »
    I can function on a minimum of 6 hours but not consecutively. More than 8 can have a negative effect on me.

In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm a 12.30 ...and usually sleep as soon as head hits pillow.

I'm up at around 7.30 . I'm not tired during day and in evenings after kids are in bed at 8pm I'll go for a run .

Weekends I get up same time.

We've had this discussion at work in canteen a few times and people are shocked at the time I go to bed and go out running.

I dont think it's a big deal ....if I was falling asleep on couch every night I'd maybe reconsider time .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I grew up in the 70s and 80s in a small town and I reckon most people got up at 8am. It's always stuck with me that 8am is the right time to get up at. It would give you 1 hour to wash, get dressed, eat breakfast, maybe watch some TV and go to school. I remember thinking that only dairy farmers got up earlier than 8am.

My school (primary and secondary) started class at 8.50 so you had to be there at 8.40 to get to your cloakroom, coats off, up to classroom, books out etc for ten to. Ten minute walk to the bus stop and then about 20 minutes on the bus so there was no way any of us were getting up at 8!

Likewise I've never had a job that started at 9 that I could get up at 8 for. And I'm not a leisurely morning person, I literally get up, quick shower, walk the dog if it's my turn and I'm gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When I was working, 8 hours was my ideal sleep-time but 7 hours sleep was absolutely fine and sufficient too. Any less than that though wasn’t enough. I needed to leave my apartment at 7:35 and I showered in the evening so being asleep by midnight was sufficient. 11pm if I was being a good girl but that was rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Greengrant wrote: »
    What's the problem, why doesn't the toddler sleep through the night?

lol
    Some do, some don't. That's just the way they are. It's biologically normal for young children not to sleep well, despite what the baby sleep industry will have you believe
    I have two babies who don't sleep, but I've learned to function on fcuk all sleep. My brain feels like marshmallow, I'm not 'with it' for large portions of the day, I have to write everything down, I'm just a dumbed down, slower, more twitchy version of my former self.
    But sure someday it'll improve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

bluewolf wrote: »
    Dial Hard wrote: »
    The individual's cirdcadian rhythm absolutely does. It's pretty much accepted at this stage that there are larks and owls. Owls in particular do quite badly when forced out of their natural rhythm, even when still getting their optimum amount of sleep.

I think circadian rhythm isn't set in stone though. I think it's what you've become accustomed too. I worked in a job some years ago where I didn't have to start till 5pm and finished up at 2/3 am for almost a decade. Even since I've been a night owl where I wasn't before. Before I'd conk out by 12 am.
    Amirani wrote: »
    I've heard some medical people hypothesise that this may have been a contributory factor to her mental decline later in life.

I think this is just a casual theory without any solid evidence. More likely for me is that she lived in a highly trafficked area where it has certainly been shown that ppl who live near polluted highly trafficked roads have a higher incidence of dementia.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I dunno if it was the nicotine withdrawal, but I was in bed at 7:45 areir. I was exhausted. But what a difference a good rest was, up at 7 this morning and felt brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Varies according to eg pain levels .

But for decades have woken fully in the small hours and love the peace then. Also all my extended family are eg in Canada so we talk on the phone then. And I walk early too in the first light.

Illness limits my active hours so I am very early settling.. does not matter as I have no one to take into account. Always fully asleep soon after 6 pm.. if not earlier;)

Being very old affects sleep patterns and makes life so much easier. Loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

The gf is in bed before 11pm most night sometimes around 10pm, but up at 6am. Left to my own devices I'd be in bed by 2am and up after 10am. Now we are living together I go roughly when she does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Margaret Thatcher slept 4 hours per night it was widely reported.

She had Alzheimer's for a good while before she died. I often wonder was this related

Advertisement