Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How early is too early to go to bed?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Greengrant

I go to bed at about 10pm, sometimes 10:30pm and get up at 7am.

I read an interview in the FT recently where a sleep expert said that any less than 7 hours sleep consistently begins to damage your health and the function of your brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mandown

4-5 hours could be anytime of the day usually two 2-3hour naps
    unless im dying from beer then i sleep 12 hours

The gf is in bed before 11pm most night sometimes around 10pm, but up at 6am. Left to my own devices I'd be in bed by 2am and up after 10am. Now we are living together I go roughly when she does.

I would wait up at least an hour and usually longer than my wife, it’s my chance to watch the tv shows I watch that she doesn’t etc, plus I wouldn’t sleep properly going to be at the earlier time.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

In bed around 11pm, read for a while and asleep usually by 11.30, alarm goes off at 7.30 but I am and always will be a snoozer so let that go off every 5 minutes until about 7.50.

In my twenties I would have stayed up til 3 or 4 am on Friday and Saturday nights no matter what just because it was the weekend but now I actually love if I'm not out and I can go to bed at the same time on the weekend - feels like routine hasn't been interrupted and without an alarm the next morning I can really really sleep! God I love my bed so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

In bed by 9...and home by 11!

472274.png

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

is cbd any good for sleep?

Yes- it helps get into the deep sleep state quicker which results in a more fulfilling sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd rarely be in bed before 12:30, usually going to sleep some time between 1 and 2, up at 7:45. Do some occasional pub work that can leave me up until 4/5 on the weekend and would usually be out of bed by 11ish the next morning.

I'd be a much happier person if I could find a way to work between 11 and 7/8 instead of the 9 to 5/6 that didn't impact on my family life. I've always been a night owl and at this stage, can't ever see that changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Greengrant wrote: »
    Get the toddler in a routine and it shouldn't be a problem.

She is in a routine.

Bed at 6:30 for her, rest of us at ~10pm.
    She wakes at 1:30am and puts herself back asleep
    Then wakes at 4am and does the same
    Then wakes at 5:30 and is awake for the day.

Broken sleep is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I would really imagine it'd depend on your working hours... obviously a person doing a night shift isn't going to be sleeping in the evening...

Generally speaking I would typically sleep for 6 hours with 2 hours after before work starts.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Is anyone else jealous of the people that don't get up until 8 or after it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

aido79 wrote: »

Just wondering why you would be? I have a lot of things done by 8, nice having them done and out of the way as early as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I get 8 hours most nights but I try to get 9 hours on Thursday night in order to set myself up well for the weekend.
    At weekends I often get up earlier than 8am to go fishing or hiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've been in bed at 8 for the past 4 or 5 days (I give the baby a bottle carry him to his cot and don't even go back downstairs, straight to bed where I sleep through till 6:30) I'd love to go to bed right now, and I know full well I'd sleep right the way through till the 6:30 alarm.

Poor me:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

LirW wrote: »
    I have a toddler, what is this sleep you're talking about?!

I see your toddler and raise you newborn twins

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

jester77 wrote: »
    Just wondering why you would be? I have a lot of things done by 8, nice having them done and out of the way as early as possible.

I get up at 4:30 for work plus I have a toddler and a newborn...staying in bed til 8 even on days off isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

swingking wrote: »
    I see your toddler and raise you newborn twins

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

She had Alzheimer's for a good while before she died. I often wonder was this related

Possibly, it seems we need sleep to break down protein clumps in the brain and this happens mostly during rem sleep.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/lack-sleep-may-be-linked-risk-factor-alzheimers-disease

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My body/brain seems to have a sleep window, if I'm not in bed by 11:30 then I tend to lie awake for a few hours before falling asleep, but if I go to bed between 11-11:30 I'll generally fall asleep within 10-15 minutes max. I get up at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Matthew Walker pretty much says 8 hours, if you can.

It's also important to fall asleep often when not under the influence of alcohol/cannabis as although it seems like you're conking out, you're not accessing the full sleep cycle, which is vital for various organ repair and the brain, most importantly.

Anyone who thinks they are functioning with as little as 4 hours sleep, may just be so used to that limit that it's become their norm. You may find that you're a new person with the full amount or closer to it.

I'd recommend anyone read Matthew Walkers book as it is a massive eye opener. Sleep should be respected, if you want to carry your memories to the grave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12XG-joFRBY

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They say that Type A personalities tend to have very poor sleep patterns.

Trump is known to sleep less than 4 hrs a night, likewise billionaire wrestling promoter Vince McMahon. Both these men are over 70.

Steve Jobs was said to go days at a time without sleeping.

They view sleep as a waste of time, all they can focus on is working all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i work 4 6 pm to 6 am shifts.
    on my first morning off i sleep from 8am to 10 am and make myself get up to get something from the day! that night im asleep by 8 and sleep to 11am. if im off that night too id go to sleep around 10. staying up to 10ish is a real treat:)
    tiredness is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

...8 hours was my ideal sleep-time but 7 hours sleep was absolutely fine and sufficient too. Any less than that though wasn’t enough....

Pretty much the same here so usually 23:30 to 7:30. Sometimes I will go to bed much earlier and then I am awake at 4:30 or 5:00 and just snooze until get up time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,521 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm always perplexed by the way this question is framed.

The specific time you get up or go to bed is entirely irrelevant. The specific times are irrelevant. It's about how many hours you sleep and if your getting enough for yourself. I think it's universally accepted that the amount of hours sleep one needs is completely individual.

Margaret Thatcher slept 4 hours per night it was widely reported. Preceded by a whiskey or 2 which I always found quite fascinating. I can't imagine Thatcher drinking at all least of all whiskey. Anyway, I digress. I was just alluding to the fact that ppl's sleeping requirements are individual and in some cases vary wildly.

She also suffered from dementia later in life, because of lack of sleep through out her life,

Don't be fooled every one needs to sleep , read the Matthew Walker book its a great read ,

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

I got 10 hours of sleep last night feel great but most of the time I get 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

chakotha wrote: »
    Pretty much the same here so usually 23:30 to 7:30. Sometimes I will go to bed much earlier and then I am awake at 4:30 or 5:00 and just snooze until get up time.

Yeah, if I went to sleep too early, say 10pm or before, I *would* be wide awake at 5am except for the very odd time when I’d be truly exhausted. Even 10:30pm was a tad too early. So I’d be awake at stupid o’clock but would then seriously crash in the latter half of the day, then need to go to bed really early and the cycle would repeat itself. So no sleeping any earlier than 11pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I usually hit the hay around 11 and read or watch something for a while, and up around 6.30 or 7. As long as I get over five hours sleep I'm fine, I would say on average I sleep around 6 or 6.5 hours a night, 7.5 or 8 the very odd time. Sleep does't come very easily to me which is very annoying, especially after nights out where I'd be in bed around 3am and awake again at 6.30.....and no hope of going back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks all, reading (well listening) to the suggested book and thinking 10:30 isn't too bad considering I'm up and out by about 6:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Weekdays I get up around 6, go to sleep around 12 or 1230. I definitely could do with an earlier sleep time but I find it quite hard to fall asleep before 12.

Saturdays, usually have a lie in until about 830 or 9 depending on when the kids matches are on.

aido79 wrote: »

As someone who very rarely has to get up before 8 the thought of doing it regularly sounds like torture, I’m just a terrible morning person. Currently I get up around 8:30 am most mornings or a little later. I couldn’t stand a job where I’ve really strict hours and have to be in early, was many years in the last place and could prettty much come in when I wanted (within reason so usually started between 9:30 and 10am, moved job last year and I knew it would be flexible but I still said straight out to the boss the first week that I don’t do early starts or want to deal with traffic so don’t expect to see me before 9:30 am at the earliest unless there is a good reason like a meeting, visitor etc.
    jester77 wrote: »

Because getting up early is torture, the day is long and plenty of time for doing things not that I do anything in the morning but get up and out the door (even breakfast is eaten at work etc). I’m usually out the door within 15 mins of getting up.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    She is in a routine.

Bed at 6:30 for her, rest of us at ~10pm.
    She wakes at 1:30am and puts herself back asleep
    Then wakes at 4am and does the same
    Then wakes at 5:30 and is awake for the day.

Broken sleep is a killer.

Put her to bed later? 6:30 looks very early, earlier than I see friends/family putting toddlers to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I recently got one of those fitness monitors, so one of the things it does is 'analyse' my sleep patterns (sleep times, and periods of light and deep sleep). I've always had dodgy sleep patterns so I thought...why not?

It's not looking great. Here are the overall comments for each of the last few nights (it goes into more detail):

Slept better than 12% of users
    99% of people slept better than me
    99% of people slept better than me
    Slept better than 11% of users
    Slept better than 53% of users
    Slept better than 3% of users

Advertisement