Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apex Legends

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would say the Legends are closer to the Operators in R6:Siege than heroes in Overwatch. They all play much the same when it comes to the actual shooting part but have a bit of extra/unique utility based on their ult/ability.

Progress through the unlocks is very slow. Clearly weighted towards purchases, which you can't really complain about with a free game. Not sure yet whether you get any real advantage unlocking equipment, I remember in Titanfall the matchmaking was spot on with keeping like with like so you should in theory be able to plod along for free and not be out gunned.

I'm interested to see what will be on offer in the seasons. I think some sort of challenges or extra direction in the game is needed.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Not at my level :pac:

I like the idea that you can play a class that isn't kill focus. I prefer tank/support player to pure DPS. Hopefully it works out and its a viable set up.

This isn't the case tbh. Every character is more or less the same, kill focused, with a few bonus abilities that can help situationally. They aren't game changers like in Overwatch.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr Grumble wrote: »
    Progress through the unlocks is very slow. Clearly weighted towards purchases, which you can't really complain about with a free game. Not sure yet whether you get any real advantage unlocking equipment, I remember in Titanfall the matchmaking was spot on with keeping like with like so you should in theory be able to plod along for free and not be out gunned.

I'm interested to see what will be on offer in the seasons. I think some sort of challenges or extra direction in the game is needed.

I'm pretty sure all the unlocks are cosmetic so can be routinely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I thought the total opposite, i was expecting it to be like that but was surprised how often you get crates. I've leveled up so far every 2 games pretty much, and you level up every game for the first few games, which is quicker than the likes of overwatch.

Plus its all cosmetic stuff in the crates, the only thing i would feel the need to purchase are the legends, and theres only two of them you need to purchase (so far) which ill likely have both unlocked just from playing in a week or two. And then by the time they release another legend, im sure ill have loads of resources saved up.

So unless they make the grind harder (which they likely will) i'll be happy with the current system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yeah you can't buy any weapons, or even unlock them from what I see as you just pick up everything from the floor in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think all you unlock are skins for weapons, from what I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, if most of the purchasing is just skins then I'm completely happy with that. And then if you can buy new legends later I also think that's completely fair given that the game is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

nix wrote: »
    I thought the total opposite, i was expecting it to be like that but was surprised how often you get crates. I've leveled up so far every 2 games pretty much, and you level up every game for the first few games, which is quicker than the likes of overwatch.

I thought generally the xp required to get lootboxes is less for the first few levels, then increases until it becomes a fixed amount of xp for every level after that?

There's crates that give you cosmetics, credits and crafting material.Aand then there is unlocks that you use your credits and crafting material on. Im level 10 and dont have enough to unlock any first items. Pretty sure there was weapon stuff (scopes, clips etc) to spend credits or real money on in the armoury tab? Not in front of it now to check, i could be wrong. I know you can purchase (credits or real money) new characters. Its this progress that is slow, encouraging you to spend real money for useful stuff like a new character or enhanced weapon.

• Advertisement

I couldn't see any pay-to-win elements on first glance. Only thing worthwhile behind a paywall is new characters. Overwatch seems to have done alright with this model.

Penn wrote: »
    I thought generally the xp required to get lootboxes is less for the first few levels, then increases until it becomes a fixed amount of xp for every level after that?

I'm sure thats how it will be, but the xp gains are generous, you're awarded more for the more you kick ass.

I logged on and checked some things there, i've played a total of 2 hours according to origin (but i would have said i played longer) I'm level 9 and the xp is at 1486 out of 8150.

And im able to check the match report of my last game, it gives you stats and breaks down xp gains. It was the game i was describing above where i died early and my friend was able to rez me near the end.

The break down was as follows:

Top 3 finish: +300xp
    Time survived (23:43): +4289xp
    kills (0): --
    Damage done (485): +121xp
    Revive ally:(0)
    Respawn ally:(0)
    Killed champion:(0)
    Kill leader: ()
    Champion squad: 500xp
    Playing with friends(x1): +213

Total xp: 5616

Thats just from one game, one i myself did poorly in, i wish i could check back over the others, as there was one we won and i racked up a load of kills.

So from the above chart, me lasting nearly the whole game is what raked in the majority of the xp, so you could likely farm loads of xp if you wanted, just playing it passive for as long as you can..

Killing the champion will net you 500xp (the champion is killing the person who had the most kills out of everybody in the current game, in their last game) And kill leader, is killing the person with the most kills in current game, pretty sure that would be around 500xp also..

So i can see leveling up twice in one game being a possibility, especially if you keep killing the kill leader, although cant see that happening more than maybe twice, as you would be the kill leader most likely :D, ive done it already but the threshold would have been low in the earlier levels.

So this is not for solo players then?

Well each game is teams of 3, so you can que solo but you will be paired with 2 other players.

It has a pretty handy ping system, you can highlight where you're aiming and ping for enemy spotted or where to go, you can also ping items if you want to share items you dont want etc, so you dont have to use voice comms if thats not your thing, but yeah, team play is kinda necessary.

You could always go off and do your own thing, but you will be fighting in alot of unfair fights that way against a team of 3..

nix wrote: »
    Well each game is teams of 3, so you can que solo but you will be paired with 2 other players.

It has a pretty handy ping system, you can highlight where you're aiming and ping for enemy spotted or where to go, you can also ping items if you want to share items you dont want etc, so you dont have to use voice comms if thats not your thing, but yeah, team play is kinda necessary.

You could always go off and do your own thing, but you will be fighting in alot of unfair fights that way against a team of 3..
    You need to stay close enough to revive each other. Unless you're a badass mofo who doesn't need reviving.

It's also worth sticking around when you die and pinging your dog tags or whatever it's called to let your team know you're sticking around if they want to bring you back in the game. You get decent xp so it's worthwhile. Youd expect it to be something no body uses but its not the case. I've restored a couple and also been restored a couple of times myself. As always with respawn they get everything spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Got 2 kills in my first game.
    Never played Titanfall(s) but the gunplay feels great.
    The spotting mechanic is well done too as I was playing with randos and I was not mic'd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Played two rounds so far (won the second round) and it's rather enjoyable! For me BR games have felt stale the past year but this is actually fun.

Looking for people to play with, so add me on origin if you'd like a few games. It's Xavi_siX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

get on the discord server for boards. Can't link in from work but will do tomorrow.
    Here ya go yakult: https://discord.gg/25K4WC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Just gave it a try, it's like Overwatch+Fortnite.

Anybody else's kill stats disappear? I'm back down to zero

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Game is brilliant. I really enjoy BR (played a lot of Fortnite and Blackout) but this has really grabbed me so far. Even playing as a 2 (with a random 3rd) worked quite well due to the way you fly in as a group and can ping loot/enemy players. So many QOL improvements over other BRs too. Automatically applying your attachments to the new weapon you pick up is just so handy. Oh and if you haven't already, pick up the wingman, gun's incredible, think we won 4 out of 5 last night using it.

• Advertisement

And they're back...weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

ewj1978 wrote: »
    get on the discord server for boards. Can't link in from work but will do tomorrow.
    Here ya go yakult: https://discord.gg/25K4WC

I'm also going to jump into this if that's ok, would be keen to get squads going on this and maybe PUBG

I'm also going to jump into this if that's ok, would be keen to get squads going on this and maybe PUBG

There was apex squads going all day yesterday and usually pubg every night

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played my first game lastnight on PC finished 2nd with 6 kills , would of won but ran out of ammo :P
    Its alright for a BR game probably the best yet, gunplay is exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Anyone on XB1 have an issue where the screen occasionally goes black - like the game has crashed? happened several times to me last night. not happening in any other game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Won on my first try, couple of seconds. Really fun game. 3 player squads is a bit disappointing for many of my friends though.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Anyone on XB1 have an issue where the screen occasionally goes black - like the game has crashed? happened several times to me last night. not happening in any other game.

Nope has been running like a dream for myself and a few others that I played with. XB1X in case that makes a difference. We actually commented on how well it's run given that it never had an open BETA or anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m unreasonably annoyed by the random, two-second ‘recording blocked’ message when you log in on PS4 :pac:

Generally I’ve really warmed to the game. Kinda terrible at it, but getting there!

I like 3-man squads. When playing pubg, 4-man squad fights become stalemates too easily. Aggressors get punished because of numerical advantage of defenders staying together. Duos in pubg allows much, much more aggressive tactics which I way prefer. It is possible to take on a duo as a solo but taking on 4 as solo is suicide Duos aren't as much fun as there are only two people. I think 3 is the perfect mix.

• Advertisement

If you change to another Legend that you havent played, they will go to 0, the kill display will show your total kills for that Legend.

Advertisement