Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Erik : Friday 8th February 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ascophyllum

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Complacency will become a major problem in future.

Today is a mildly breezy day in Limerick. Nothing special.

People will begin to ignore the weather warnings... and then a catastrophic big event will hit.

There was no orange warning for Limerick, there was a yellow warning which simply means be aware of the windy weather. In the counties with the orange warning, there is damage, power cuts, some schools had to close, very much warranted here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

People will begin to ignore the weather warnings... and then a catastrophic big event will hit.
    Bit isn't there only a yellow advisory in Limerick.... And most of the country. An advisory is simply a "heads up" to be aware. It's not a warning, per se. No harm giving people a heads up that the weather is forecast to be a bit more out of the ordinary than normal. The yellow advisory does not request you to take any action nor does it request that you prepare yourself to possibly take any action in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That has already happened before.... cough cough Storm Ali cough cough.

Besides, Limerick was only in the yellow warning area which as the poster above said means to be aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

2013Lara wrote: »
    After a tame morning the wind has really picked up on East (wicklow coast). Car is shaking and rain has hit.

Aaaaand it's sunny and breezy again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I over heard two men in my local supermarket bemoaning that Met Eireann name every wind event these days. I wonder is that the common perception now amongst people? Will it mean that when we do get a notable storm again people will be complacent?

One thing i don't envy is Evelyn's job; you will be damned either way in these situations.

After hearing her interview on the radio after the last storm in December, i found her to be one of the most condescending people i've ever heard or seen.
    Basically she doesn't care what others think about the weather forecast they give and they've no interest in opinions that people have to offer.
    She gets paid enough to deal with the pressure so i'm sure somebody else would be willing to take her place if she wanted to stand down.
    She really reminded me of a TD and could not be held to any accountability.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There was no orange warning for Limerick, there was a yellow warning which simply means be aware of the windy weather. In the counties with the orange warning, there is damage, power cuts, some schools had to close, very much warranted here this morning.
    highdef wrote: »
    Bit isn't there only a yellow advisory in Limerick.... And most of the country. An advisory is simply a "heads up" to be aware. It's not a warning, per se. No harm giving people a heads up that the weather is forecast to be a bit more out of the ordinary than normal. The yellow advisory does not request you to take any action nor does it request that you prepare yourself to possibly take any action in the near future.
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    That has already happened before.... cough cough Storm Ali cough cough.

Besides, Limerick was only in the yellow warning area which as the poster above said means to be aware.

Most people don't know the difference though, and when they see any warning, they expect the worst. Met Eireann need to get the message out better. Because the general public will become immune to constant weather warnings where nothing happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

A lot of people where I work don’t know the difference between an orange and yellow weather alert.

Overheard conversations is yellow worse than orange

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

After hearing her interview on the radio after the last storm in December, i found her to be one of the most condescending people i've ever heard or seen.
    Basically she doesn't care what others think about the weather forecast they give and they've no interest in opinions that people have to offer.
    She gets paid enough to deal with the pressure so i'm sure somebody else would be willing to take her place if she wanted to stand down.

I always found her forecasts informative. It's her responsibilty to inform the public, but I don't think it's her responsibility to spoonfeed the public. If I can find out the difference between what a yellow, orange, and red warning mean, and where in the country they are issued for in the event of a storm, then others certainly can, the problem is the public are usually too lazy to do so - it's just easier to complain.
    I do agree with you on one point, though, when they actually do get a forecast wrong for a notable event, she should just admit to it, not to do so smacks of arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

did anywhere record or exceed 130 kmh ?

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Second flower pot has fallen over. This should have been a red warning.

• Advertisement

orange warnings only cover flower pots, large outdoor furniture toppling over is a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah come down off that high horse would ya ever.

Evelyn is not a condescending person. She may have hit her limit of stupid moron tabloidy questions from Ivan Yates types, which would irritate even the Maharishi.

Unfortunately, we seem to live in a Country where common sense is disappearing. The weather warnings are ADVICE. Right now outside my house is breezy but sunny, however 30 mins ago it was lashing sideways with squally gale gusts under one of those shower cells.

Anticipating that I called my elderly mother this morning and suggested she skip her Friday shopping trip and send me her list to drop off to her, so she wouldn't get caught out in those showers. In the scheme of world events, insignificant, but to one less physically able person, some hassle possibly avoided and a soaking denied.

Thats what common sense is. Its not ringing Joe feckin Duffy and complaining that your chimney hasnt blown off when da wedder peeple said it would and its a disgrace Joe and bleedin gubbernement something something.

I do hope Twitter and Ivan Yates get soaked and some grit in their eye this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I think I might not have explained my point well.

The media tend to get overly excited at the whiff of a weather warning.

When the apocalypse doesn't materialise, people shrug their shoulders and say the warnings are misplaced or exaggerated.

In future, valid warnings might be ignored. With fatal consequences.

I've been in a tornado warning. I didn't ignore that. Terrifying experience. Almost touched down. Very near miss.

When the apocalypse doesn't materialise, people shrug their shoulders and say the warnings are misplaced or exaggerated.

I've been in a tornado warning. I didn't ignore that. Terrifying experience. Almost touched down. Very near miss.

warnings are ignored regardless

hurricane ophelia,3 fatalities.

Well that's the media, not Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

People like to give out but dont like to find out what things mean. So how many can tell the difference between a yellow and amber warning. How many did not hear 3 counties for the Amber warning. How many work in nice cozy offices, drive to work and only know it is windy by hearing some sounds from the chimney.

Unfortunatly the Irish condition is to complain.

Agreed. The naysayers favourite sport seems to be shooting messengers... God forbid anyone else might have something to say ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Come on, you got a laugh the first time- we get it, the weather isn't bad everywhere, it wasn't forecast to be.
    My in-laws who have half an oak tree sticking out the side of their house would be over the moon if Erik tossed a few plant pots over but alas they were in a worse affected area. It's a small island that we live on, when will people accept there can be a big difference between the weather experienced in different places?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Apart from obvious strong gusts of wind actually nice blue sky and not that cold here in Citywest.

Heading into city centre hopefully it's bit more settled in there as much more open out this part!

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

sideswipe wrote: »
    Come on, you got a laugh the first time- we get it, the weather isn't bad everywhere, it wasn't forecast to be.
    My in-laws who have half an oak tree sticking out the side of their house would be over the moon if Erik tossed a few plant pots over but alas they were in a worse affected area. It's a small island that we live on, when will people accept there can be a big difference between the weather experienced in different places?

I am working in an orange alert county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ah come down off that high horse would ya ever.

Evelyn is not a condescending person. She may have hit her limit of stupid moron tabloidy questions from Ivan Yates types, which would irritate even the Maharishi.

Unfortunately, we seem to live in a Country where common sense is disappearing. The weather warnings are ADVICE. Right now outside my house is breezy but sunny, however 30 mins ago it was lashing sideways with squally gale gusts under one of those shower cells.

Anticipating that I called my elderly mother this morning and suggested she skip her Friday shopping trip and send me her list to drop off to her, so she wouldn't get caught out in those showers. In the scheme of world events, insignificant, but to one less physically able person, some hassle possibly avoided and a soaking denied.

Thats what common sense is. Its not ringing Joe feckin Duffy and complaining that your chimney hasnt blown off when da wedder peeple said it would and its a disgrace Joe and bleedin gubbernement something something.

I do hope Twitter and Ivan Yates get soaked and some grit in their eye this evening.

I'm not on any high horse, i don't listen to Ivan Yates and can you stop spelling like Margaret Cash for the love of god.

It was actually on RTE and she was very condescending to the interviewer and the public listening and she did not care 1 bit how she came off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I am working in an orange alert county.

Well get up off your ass and take in your flower pots then!

Fact is if there were a nation wide red alert storm next week and people lost their lives during it you'd still have people saying 'sure it's grand here'. The weather affects some places and people more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Breezy day sw donegal

Only saw 86 kmh on finner station, 48kmh on my own unsuitably located weather station

North Sligo about 5k from the coast as the crow flies.

Very gusty from 5ish till after 10 this morning. Gorgeous day now. Is there more of this storm to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

sideswipe wrote: »
    It's a small island that we live on, when will people accept there can be a big difference between the weather experienced in different places?

That's the kind of logic that has doomed the country....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Snow falling here in Laois

Beverly Hills, California

These are the maximum wind gusts of Storm Erik for selected Irish stations up to 1400 UTC from synop reports. Each box is coloured corresponding to their warranted warning using Met Éireann's numerical criteria for each colour. Green = no warning.

ObJRIhQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I believe it is time to abandon the current warnings system. People are confused, especially with the yellow warnings. During an average year in Ireland there are no more than 2 or 3 times when weather warnings are actually warranted. A gale or heavy rain does not need warnings. All this dilution is leading to complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

As was alluded to earlier its a lose lose situation for the MetO

And the bulk of country are yet to experience their stronges gusts///

Certainly the 1mil+ population in Dublin will get their strongest winds tonight. Guessing gusts near 55/60KT at Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lets hope all these crew get home safe.

Meanwhile, the Irish Coast Guard is assisting two fishing vessels, including
    one with 91 people on board, impacted by Storm Erik off the coast of
    Ireland.

An Irish fishing vessel sustained major damage after being struck by a very
    large wave 120 miles west of Dingle.

It is making its way towards an Irish port. None of the crew were
    injured.

The second vessel, a Russian trawler with 91 people on board, reported
    mechanical damage due to the storm at around 7am.

The trawler is one of about 20 working in an area about 220 miles southwest
    of Dingle.

Speaking on RTÉ's News at One, Derek Flanagan, Divisional controller for West
    and Northwest for the Irish Coast Guard, said "they lost engine power and are
    currently adrift with 91 people in very high seas, about 10m seas.

"We are waiting for the weather to abate so another vessel can tow them into
    port and sort out their engine problem," Mr Flanagan said.

Mr Flanagan said with high, rough seas the coastguard is concerned about "the
    increased likelihood of injury to crews working on board as they try to contend
    with those weather conditions."

He added that the 20 or so trawlers working in the same area as the Russian
    boat "decided that they were going to work through that weather."

"They know this is a relatively fast travelling storm and they will normally
    ride out the conditions until it improves and start fishing again," he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Apart from obvious strong gusts of wind actually nice blue sky and not that cold here in Citywest.

Heading into city centre hopefully it's bit more settled in there as much more open out this part!

Nope, strong enough gusts there too. I was there for a few hours but I'm back in D5 now. Showery too.

Advertisement