Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harsh sentence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Wonder if the marriage is still on with his fiancee ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

More a case of other sentencing being too lenient than this being too harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A taxi driver has being jailed for one year

Top journalism there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Hmm dunno, if he genuinely thought it was his fiances bed then yeah, seems very harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would it have gone this far if some drunk aul one got into bed with a bloke and did the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

More a case of other sentencing being too lenient than this being too harsh.

Really? You think that drunkenly getting into bed with a woman and touching her vagina warrants a two and a half year sentence? It's a scummy thing to do and warrants some sort of sanction, probably a caution. But a two and a half year sentence with a year inside and labelled a sex offender for life?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Would it have gone this far if some drunk aul one got into bed with a bloke and did the same?

Of course not, he'd be lucky to have a woman touch his flute, girls will be girls,no harm done.

You get the distinct impression that were he a solicitor from Blackrock and not a taxi driver from tallaght he probably wouldn't be getting a custodial sentence.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Dante7 wrote: »
    Really? You think that drunkenly getting into bed with a woman and touching her vagina warrants a two and a half year sentence? It's a scummy thing to do and warrants some sort of sanction, probably a caution. But a two and a half year sentence with a year inside and labelled a sex offender for life?

What do you think yourself ?

What sentence would be appropriate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Damn it, saw the title and thought to myself any sentence with the word c*nt in it is usually pretty harsh...then I read the op!?

Something thats in line with the scores of violent repeat offenders being allowed to walk out of court for much more serious crimes would be a start.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I guess it comes down to whether he genuinely thought it was his girlfriend or not. Very harsh sentence and I feel sorry for him if he did think it was his GF

I mentioned it in my post that you quoted. A caution would have sufficed on the legal side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Yes, that sounds right to me.

I'm sick of this "it's grand, I was drunk" excuse. The assault on the victim was just as real as if the assailant was sober.

A caution for a sexual assault, that would be nothing but a slap in the face for the victim.

Did you even read the article before passing opinion? Sure he hadn't even admitted he did anything wrong. Mistakenly doing something illegal is still illegal and the poor attitude afterwards brings the idea that it really was a mistake into even more doubt than would already be solely based on his say so.
    Judge Elma Sheahan said that Doran's failure to acknowledge his wrongdoing raised a question as to the level of insight he has into his offending.

She noted that Ms Powers viewed Doran as a brother and the offence was an abuse of this trust. Ms Powers told the court that the assault left her traumatised.

“I trusted you like a brother. My life was derailed. I felt so lost after. I felt abandoned and betrayed,” she said. She said she was terrified during the assault and was tormented by the memory of it.

I mentioned it in my post that you quoted. A caution would have sufficed on the legal side.

Can a caution be given for that type of offence and if a caution is being given , does it mean the offender admits guilt ?

Can a caution be given for that type of offence and if a caution is being given , does it mean the offender admits guilt ?

The offender can claim innocence be found guilty and be given a suspended sentence or community service etc...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

and labelled a sex offender for life?

Is it not a sexual offence?

nullzero wrote: »
    The offender can claim innocence be found guilty and be given a suspended sentence or community service etc...

I'm just wondering if a caution can be given for the offence described and does he not have to have admitted his guilt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Meh, typical taxi driver.... gets lost and over charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I'm just wondering if a caution can be given for the offence described and does he not have to have admitted his guilt ?

Much of the sentence is also suspended so he'll end up serving less than a year. Probably would have gotten less if he showed some remorse and recognition of the impact it had upon her. Either way, see nothing wrong with the sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

He should have got more but shure it's only a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

One year. Doesn’t seem harsh. If other judges have given shorter sentences for the anal rape of a child, the those sentences were way too short.

If she was a young wan, would that be different? :confused: These threads never seem to escape from whataboutery but specifying ‘aul wan’ adds another later of peculiarity to the post.

Anyways... I’ve had what happened to that woman happen to me. I wasn’t traumatised but it’s the creepiest thing that has ever happened to me. And I had nearly drifted off to sleep when it happened. I was pretty drunk but I was in bed for the night. It was at a friend’s house party and she gave me the bedroom to crash in. A few minutes after me getting into bed, a party-goer came into the room, got into bed beside me and put his hand inside my underwear. I just ran off. What would have happened if I been asleep?

Hang on a minute here. It is a two and a half year headline sentence for a minor sexual assault. There is something else going on here. Either the accused had a significant history, or maybe the Judge is the anti-Martin Nolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

A year is a harsh sentence?

Since ****ing when?

If she was a young wan, would that be different? :confused: These threads never seem to escape from whataboutery but specifying ‘aul wan’ adds another later of peculiarity to the post.

Anyways... I’ve had what happened to that woman happen to me. I wasn’t traumatised but it’s the creepiest thing that has ever happened to me. And I had nearly drifted off to sleep when it happened. I was pretty drunk but I was in bed for the night. It was at a friend’s house party and she gave me the bedroom to crash in. A few minutes after me getting into bed, a party-goer came into the room, got into bed beside me and put his hand inside my underwear. I just ran off. What would have happened if I been asleep?

Do you think that a two and a half year sentence would have been appropriate, or would a caution have done the job?

BBFAN wrote: »
    A year is a harsh sentence?

Since ****ing when?

Since when it is applied to your traveller buddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Since when it is applied to your traveller buddies.

Hilarious, please show me where I've defended a traveller sexually assaulting someone.

Sorry you're pathetic thread has backfired on you and no-one is outraged that some skanky pervert got a year in jail. :D:D:D:D

Do you think that a two and a half year sentence would have been appropriate, or would a caution have done the job?

In my case, I think what he did was very deliberate. He was nobody’s boyfriend, he was a co-worker of me and my friend. He decided to get into bed beside somebody he thought was sleeping and feel them up. Hand inside underwear, remember. Two and a half years would be fair, yes. I was almost asleep but not quite so was able to halt it. What would he have done if I was asleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A caution is not sufficient punishment for someone who fails to grasp the fact they’ve done something wrong.

Advertisement