Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Obesity crisis in Ireland Mod Note post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Naos wrote: »
    Ok Wibbs.

Why are you being so obtuse? A kilo of anything weighs the same as a kilo of anything else, everyone knows this. But the same volume of different matters can and does vary greatly in weight. A cubic metre of lead is going to weigh rather a lot more than a cubic metre of foam. Same applies to muscle and fat. I have no idea why you're pretending you weren't fully aware that this was what he meant.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

1kg of Macdonalds is the same as 1kg of Supermacs who would have thought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

1kg of Macdonalds is the same as 1kg of Supermacs who would have thought that.

What does it weigh in Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Why are you being so obtuse? A kilo of anything weighs the same as a kilo of anything else, everyone knows this. But the same volume of different matters can and does vary greatly in weight. A cubic metre of lead is going to weigh rather a lot more than a cubic metre of foam. Same applies to muscle and fat. I have no idea why you're pretending you weren't fully aware that this was what he meant.

Because as far as being a boards, I like Wibbs and his take on situations/debates.
    I can't be bothered getting into a spat with him over the difference between something being heavier and something being more dense so figured I'd just leave it.

If I was being finicky then point taken. I'll keep that particular thought to myself from now on.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

No supermacs in Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Le un kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

zell12 wrote: »
    DailyMail - No wonder we've got an obesity problem
    – look how a Sunday roast has gone from sparse to supersize over the decades9485950-0-image-a-4_1549488778358.jpg

In the UK, the 40s and 50s were a time of serious government dietary intervention in the form of rationing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Zorya wrote: »

And I know a lot of people seem to have some kind of fashionable contempt not only for aging but also for life itself, but only 5%, maximum 10%, of elderly people get dementia. I would say at 90% plus the odds are in our favour. Very, very many old people live on independently in their homes to advanced age, with a little bit of help maybe if needed, though many of the wiry ancients around these parts refuse even that. I have seen men well over 80 climb farm gates no bother to them. And indescribably old women cycling calmly in the hills.
    There was a time when people had a reverence for old people.

Depends how long they live. Something like 7% of people aged 65 or more have dementia in the UK. That rises to 20% at 85-89 and keeps on going up thereafter.

https://www.dementiastatistics.org/statistics/prevalence-by-age-in-the-uk/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Whats the story with this "metabolic age" thing Varadkar done last night on operation transformation, is it pseudoscience? I can't say I heard or know too much about it. I find it hard to believe it's accuracy.

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Whats the story with this "metabolic age" thing Varadkar done last night on operation transformation,..........

Utter bollocks IMO
    His exercise is long distance ish running and he's skinny fat so he has less lean muscle than many folk his age.
    You'll improve your metabolic age yy preserving and gaining lean muscle mass through exercise......... doing 5 and 10ks won't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Whats the story with this "metabolic age" thing Varadkar done last night on operation transformation, is it pseudoscience? I can't say I heard or know too much about it. I find it hard to believe it's accuracy.

Varadker is skinny fat to fat, does running rather than lifting weights, looks older than he is, and said somewhere he eats close to a vegetarian diet before, which reduces testosterone even further.

No surprise at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Varadker is skinny fat to fat, does running rather than lifting weights, looks older than he is, and said somewhere he eats close to a vegetarian diet before, which reduces testosterone even further.

No surprise at all tbh.

Not really something you want in a leader.

No surprise at all tbh.
    I don't think Varadkar looks much older than he is really, if he does it's probably because of his hairline which he can't really control tbf.

So this would suggest weights are much better than running for a man on the metabolic age scale?I eat plenty of meat and lift weights but don't run much. But I'm overweight at the moment. Do you think metabolic age thing is accurate though?

How old is he anyway, 47, 48?

He looks ok for that age.

.............. Do you think metabolic age thing is accurate though?

I have no clue what my metabolic age is but I can maintain 85kg bodyweight by eating 3000kcals/day.
    I do next to no cardio work, all weights.
    I couldn't give 2 fooooooooooks what my metabolic age is.

Many folk reckon BMI and metabolic rate are fairly spoofy metrics.

If your waist is under half your height you are likely not too bad :)

I don't think Varadkar looks much older than he is really, if he does it's probably because of his hairline which he can't really control tbf.

So this would suggest weights are much better than running for a man on the metabolic age scale?I eat plenty of meat and lift weights but don't run much. But I'm overweight at the moment. Do you think metabolic age thing is accurate though?

I used to be overweight and I'm now 10-11% bodyfat. Reversed it by:

Lifting weights.
    With the exception of green veg and pints, not really eating/consuming carbs/sugar at all.

Been doing that for the past few years.

Obesity is insulin and leptin. Has very little to do with calories in/calories out.

So from my case, absolutely, but theres a good bit of writing on it.

I used to be overweight and I'm now 10-11% bodyfat. Reversed it by:

Lifting weights.
    With the exception of green veg and pints, not really eating/consuming carbs/sugar at all.

Been doing that for the past few years.

Obesity is insulin and leptin. Has very little to do with calories in/calories out.

So from my case, absolutely, but theres a good bit of writing on it.

That's completely untrue.

I can assure you that your calories in and out are not different to when you were obese.

Augeo wrote: »
    That's completely untrue.

I can assure you that your calories in and out are not different to when you were obese.

No, they were completely different. All calories are not alike, and some foods have a very different impact on your body than others.

Valoren explained it extremely well earlier on:
    valoren wrote: »
    The obesity crisis is really an insulin crisis.

You eat easy access processed foods and blood sugars (glucose) go crazy, insulin secretes to reduce it.
    With insulin in the blood stream doing it's job, it's an on or off biological state i.e. you can't utilise stored fats when it's in your blood. As you're constantly eating within this state you just gain more and more stored fat, that free energy has to go somewhere. With men it goes around the gut and for women, the hips, the bum and thighs.

Once you control insulin secretion, you actively prohibit and prevent the eventuality of obesity.
    Which foods are beneficial to that? It's the classic healthy diet. Non starchy veggies (broccoli, peppers etc), high fiber food, lean meat, fish (particularly salmon), nuts, antioxidants like berries. We all know (or as adults should know) the foods which are not healthy for us. These moreish, tasty foods are now staples whereas they should be deemed treats to have every now and then.

It's an insulin/leptin problem. You fix those two hormones in your body going mad and you will not be overweight.

It's an insulin/leptin problem. You fix those two hormones in your body going mad and you will not be overweight.

East less calories than you consume and you will not be overweight.

How old is he anyway, 47, 48?

He looks ok for that age.
    Just gone 40, I thought he was about 43 or 44.

• Advertisement

Just gone 40, I thought he was about 43 or 44.

Jesus yeah, I'm shocked that I didn't know that.

I always assumed by his appearance that he was mid to late 40s.

He looks like one of those middle aged D4 Dads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

_Brian wrote: »
    If she wants to loose more weight she needs to be burning significantly more calories than she is consuming. This is a life long habit of being fat that she is trying to shed and it takes hard work.
    Busy people can be fat, they’re still eating more than they’re burning, that’s how it works.

If you continuously burn more than you consume then your body has to draw on its fat reserves to fuel itself, it can’t get the energy from anything else.

I’m not saying she’s lazy, but being busy doesn’t mean she is burning off the calorie. And activities are secondary, eating controlled volumes of calories is the primary. If she’s not loosing weight then she’s missing something or just being untruthful about what she is consuming.

You’re missing the point. For someone who has been very overweight all their lives, hunger is going to much more of an issue than someone who hasn’t. Again, there is hard science behind this but it will be ignored because it doesn’t suit. Could you fight massive hunger for decades? I think even the person with the greatest willpower would struggle. But something something personal responsibility. Despite the person writing the post being human and therefore flawed. :D

You’re missing the point. For someone who has been very overweight all their lives, hunger is going to much more of an issue than someone who hasn’t. Again, there is hard science behind this but it will be ignored because it doesn’t suit. Could you fight massive hunger for decades? I think even the person with the greatest willpower would struggle. But something something personal responsibility. Despite the person writing the post being human and therefore flawed. :D

I was overweight for most of my 20s and 30s. 15 years ish.
    I dropped 3 stone in 6 months. Now I wasn't a huge, fat tub admittedly but something something personal responsibility kicked in.

I was overweight for most of my 20s and 30s. 15 years ish.
    I dropped 3 stone in 6 months. Now I wasn't a huge, fat tub admittedly but something something personal responsibility kicked in.

Yeah, there are outliers, for sure. Looking at any stats I can find though, the recidivism figures are high. Very high. There’s a reason for that. But, le sigh, what’s the point in pointing to the posted studies again?

I’ve been overweight and very briefly obese. The overweight and obese times were not a large period of my life and I was a slip of a thing through all my formative years. So weight loss wasn’t that big an ish for me. My sister was always a bit pudgy as a child as she did eat more than me and that grew into obesity as an adult. She lost a LOT of weight a few years ago and has gained most of it back. Comparing us side by side, I can see how much harder it is for her than me to lose weight. It’s truly more of a struggle for her. For many reasons.

So let’s talk about personal responsibility. Comparing myself to my sister - I’m not a more disciplined person than her. I have an advantage in ONE arena in that I can eat smaller portions and be satisfied and not want to eat all the biscuits. Go me. Woo.

But of two of us, I’m overall the greater fück up. Won’t go into that. We’ll be here all day.

So I just CANNOT abide all the smug self-fart-smelling bilge that accompanies this subject. People who are overweight are judged on a moral level. That’s complete and utter shïte.

Oh and of the two sisters, guess which one of us developed cancer in her 20s? Not my sister. And not a young person’s cancer either. A cancer that has some links to lifestyle. Believe me when I say, cancer wards are lined with vegans, vegetarians, former marathon runners and gym bunnies. And people obliquely question them about how it happened. Judging. Blaming. We humans are great at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Said this before a bunch of times, I used to have a small dick when I was obese - like really small. Picture a cocktail sausage poking out of Leo Sayer's hair and you're basically picturing me naked, when I was big. Sorry for the imagery. In fact, I didn't even have a dick. In a flaccid state, I only had a bit of foreskin. Had I been circumsised, you would've just seen my helmet. Picture Darth Vader poking his head out of a window. Sorry for this imagery again, but it's important you get the point.

Now, I did have a knob, but much of the shaft was buried beneath some pubic fat, which concealed most of my dick in a flaccid state. In an erect state, a lot more came out obviously, but even then some inches were hidden. When I lost weight, I rediscovered quite a lot of the knob I thought had been lost to obesity forever, but I don't know if I can emphasise how crushing and lonely my teenage years were. Who can you talk to about having a small dick? Even your one from Samaritans was laughing down the phone. She wasn't. I didn't ring them obviously that was a joke.

The crazy thing is, I wasn't the exception. I'm probably breaking the obese man's Omerta here, but if you see a really fat male in the street, best believe they have a small dick. The fatter the man, the smaller his knob; not because they're all just really, really unlucky in the genetic lottery, but because you can't gain huge amounts of weight without a lot of it going in the pubic region, which can envelope your poor willy.

If you want to stop young lads from getting obese, tell them this. Don't tell them about diabetes and heart disease and all this bollox. Statistically most of them will swerve those health complications for decades, but what they can't prevent is a significantly smaller dick. It's inevitable. They don't know that they're eating away their genitals, effectively, but they need to know. They also need to know that the damage is reversible, and that weight loss will restore their genital region to its factory settings, but they probably don't.

*I'm talking about really fat men here. I don't want some 15-stone man, with a normal penis, thinking I'm spreading lies about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Hammer89 wrote: »
    If you want to stop young lads from getting obese, tell them this. Don't tell them about diabetes and heart disease and all this bollox. Statistically most of them will swerve those health complications for decades, but what they can't prevent is a significantly smaller dick.

I dunno about that. I could afford to lose a few inches.

..................y stats..........

Oh and of the two sisters, guess which one of us developed cancer in her 20s? Not my sister. And not a young person’s cancer either. A cancer that has some links to lifestyle. Believe me when I say, cancer wards are lined with vegans, vegetarians, former marathon runners and gym bunnies. And people obliquely question them about how it happened. Judging. Blaming. We humans are great at it.

Sorry to hear you developed cancer.
    You mention facts, facts dictate that obesity is a contributor to many serious illnesses.

You mention facts, facts dictate that obesity is a contributor to many serious illnesses.

Obesity increases risk, sure. And healthy-living lowers risk. But healthy-eating doesn’t eliminate risk. It’s not a force field against ill-health. And so many people believe that it is. (This I’ve discovered since I was diagnosed. Some people genuinely believe that ill-health won’t ever befall them if they eat well and exercise. And that belief can lead to these folks being diagnosed with serious illnesses later than they should because they think it couldn’t possibly be anything serious).

There are many things that humans do that contribute to ill-health. Obesity is one, sure. Drinking too much is another. Being thin but with fat around the vital organs is another. But at a glance, the thin person with organ fat or who drinks a bit too much won’t be judged like the obese person will. Is that right? Not to me. In fact, drinking too much is very comfortably socially acceptable in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I remember in 2009 just after college I had about 6 or 7 months off as I was finding it hard to get a job. Spent most of it watching TV and eating crap. Went up to 13 stone. I felt uncomfortable sitting on couch, laying in bed as I could feel the layers of fat on me. Then I felt it in my neck.

It was enough motivation to help sort it out. I personally found the journey of losing weight very enjoyable. Seeing the weekly progress, weighing myself to see how much I lost, feeling fitter and less out of breath during exercise, researching and coming up with new ideas for food.

Maintaining my weight as I'm doing now is less fun tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Obesity increases risk, sure. And healthy-living lowers risk. But healthy-eating doesn’t eliminate risk. It’s not a force field against ill-health. And so many people believe that it is. (This I’ve discovered since I was diagnosed. Some people genuinely believe that ill-health won’t ever befall them if they eat well and exercise. And that belief can lead to these folks being diagnosed with serious illnesses later than they should because they think it couldn’t possibly be anything serious).

There are many things that humans do that contribute to ill-health. Obesity is one, sure. Drinking too much is another. Being thin but with fat around the vital organs is another. But at a glance, the thin person with organ fat or who drinks a bit too much won’t be judged like the obese person will. Is that right? Not to me. In fact, drinking too much is very comfortably socially acceptable in this country.
    I once heard a doctor of health professional being interviewed about health promotion. He was asked what was the single most important thing a person could do for their health, his answer was "choose your parents carefully"
    Lifestyle choices obviously impact our health but you're right it does not eliminate risk. Cancer can be down to just ****ty bad luck.
    I'm not saying we should not strive to reduce risks by leading a healthier lifestyle but there are other significant factors at play for individuals

Advertisement