Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai cricitise paedophile hunters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

pjohnson wrote: »
    They want to be Batman its their childhood dream.

Wait, are we talking about the vigilantes or the targets now? Come to think of it it's uncanny how similar they are in several respects, except one is a lot more aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,580 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Strazdas wrote: »
    There have been several reports of young men who are autistic being targeted by these groups and then barely even understanding what they are being accused of when the yobs turn up and start shouting at them.

These would be isolated guys with no social skills who have probably never had a relationship in their life, almost childlike.

Excellent point here.

And it beggars belief that there are folks pushing for and defending a mob mentality dishing out mob justice..

And you can bet most of this mob don’t even understand what an actual paedophile is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,493 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

walshb wrote:
    And you can bet most of this mob don’t even understand what an actual paedophile is.
    You mean that they are filthy, despicable human beings who prey on young innocent children?
    I think they would be aware of that.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You mean that they are filthy, despicable human beings who prey on young innocent children?

You’d be surprised how many people don’t actually know what a paedophile is...your comment highlighting this

They think of age, and age alone!

Not all paedophiles act on their urges and attractions. Many never ever harm children. They suppress those urges, because like any other humans with decency, they understand that to act on them would be terrible, and wrong.

They are born that way. Same as heterosexual or homosexual people are born with their attractions. They don't choose to be pedophiles. Same way people don't choose to be straight, gay or bi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

walshb wrote: »
    Excellent point here.

And it beggars belief that there are folks pushing for and defending a mob mentality dishing out mob justice..

That's why this should be left to the Gardai and them alone. A bunch of yobs looking to dish out some vigilante justice (and probably with ulterior / sinister motives) are the last people in the country you'd want to be upholding the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kinda proving the other poster's point there a bit...

The statement was: what a pedophile actually is, not what your ranting opinion was.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The statement was: what a pedophile actually is, not what your ranting opinion was.

Actually we all know what a pedophile is. Let's not have this new age nonsense where people are claiming "being a pedophile doesn't mean you're actually trying to harm someone lol".

That's just semantics and is a distraction to the issue at hand. Quit the bull**** and concentrate on the real discussion.

Actually we all know what a pedophile is. Let's not have this new age nonsense where people are claiming "being a pedophile doesn't mean you're actually trying to harm someone lol".

That's just semantics and is a distraction to the issue at hand. Quit the bull**** and concentrate on the real discussion.

Read up on it. Being sexually attracted to 'prepubescent people' is not a lifestyle choice. Paedohiles are not choosing this.

Not all people who are sexually attracted to prepubescent people act on this, and commit crimes against 'prepubescent' people.

I don't use the word children, because it is not specific enough to define....but one can use it, as in prepubescent children

Proving the point again.

walshb shut up and don't tell me to read anything when you are ignorant about this and many other issues yourself.

Language belongs to the people who use the term and words have to be interpreted in the context used. Just because one dictionary says something somewhere doesn't make it the case in common parlance.

• Advertisement

Walsh, can you quit your pedantic rubbish.

We are clearly talking about paedophiles who are breaking the law here.
    Do we have to spell it out for you?

I thought you were intelligent enough to understand that we are talking about active paedophiles.

I thought you were intelligent enough to understand that we are talking about active paedophiles.

Again, proving the point.

As paleoperson said, you have to have the case in context first.

For example: pedophile A - turns out to be a 19-year old mentally challenged boy who has no understandign of the law or that he is even doing something wrong.
    Pedophile B - turns out to be a 50-year old university graduate who already has a conviction and knows exactly what he is doing.
    Same approach? Same consequences?

When we say "what a pedophile is" we mean things like: how does a pedophile think? What causes pedophilia? Why do some pedophiles abuse and some don't?

Sure, you can look the word up in a dictionary and say you understand the definition - which I'm sure you do - but THIS is what you need to onderstand before you can say you know who pedophiles are.

And if your feelings are that you don't care - and that's totally fine - then you're admitting you don't know. But I'd argue that you should really care and know if you want to solve the problem and really make children safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Theres been cases were these gangs have gone after paedeatricians instead of paedophiles.

The Batman gangs clearly dont know what a paedophile is. They probably struggle with any word over 6 letters tbh. So yeah probably not best to bring intelligence into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Again, proving the point.

As paleoperson said, you have to have the case in context first.

For example: pedophile A - turns out to be a 19-year old mentally challenged boy who has no understandign of the law or that he is even doing something wrong.
    Pedophile B - turns out to be a 50-year old university graduate who already has a conviction and knows exactly what he is doing.
    Same approach? Same consequences?

When we say "what a pedophile is" we mean things like: how does a pedophile think? What causes pedophilia? Why do some pedophiles abuse and some don't?

Sure, you can look the word up in a dictionary and say you understand the definition - which I'm sure you do - but THIS is what you need to onderstand before you can say you know who pedophiles are.

And if your feelings are that you don't care - and that's totally fine - then you're admitting you don't know. But I'd argue that you should really care and know if you want to solve the problem and really make children safe.

Same approach.
    It doesn't matter what the mentality of the criminal is , the trauma suffered by the child is the same.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Same approach.
    It doesn't matter what the mentality of the criminal is , the trauma suffered by the child is the same.

There IS no child, remember?

There IS no child, remember?
    So it's the first time for all of them, yeah?
    Riiight.

Is that chris hansen at my door?

So it's the first time for all of them, yeah?
    Riiight.

Is that chris hansen at my door?

Don't know what you're trying to say: every active pedophile committed a first offence at some point...? How do you know it's not the first offence for these guys? Or how do the vigilantes know?

Don't know what you're trying to say: every active pedophile committed a first offence at some point...? How do you know it's not the first offence for these guys? Or how do the vigilantes know?
    It is statistically unlikely that someone from a population of folks who seek out a child on the internet and travel to the meetup location , is doing it for the first time. And even less likely that a majority of the population defined above meet the criteria.

Therefore the hypothesis must be that it is most likely not the first time for most people and that therefore a child(ren) have been harmed before.

Are these groups targeting people based off the ages of the children/people that they are online trying to meet with?

So, is it possible that they are targeting actual pedophiles as well as non paedophiles?

I am not sure of the actual legal definition in Ireland for a child...

Is it 12 years and under? Is it 17 years and under? 16 years and under?

I think it could be 17 years and under. 18 is an adult...which would then mean that not all children being targeted are being targeted by actual paedohiles.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Theres been cases were these gangs have gone after paedeatricians instead of paedophiles.

The Batman gangs clearly dont know what a paedophile is. They probably struggle with any word over 6 letters tbh. So yeah probably not best to bring intelligence into it.

There is something to what you're saying, but that just makes it all the more futile to try to come along and say "a pedophile is actually this".

There is no good word that encapsulates a pedophile who is attempting to be active which is what they're talking about here. While I am totally against these gangs, I'm not going to get on board of trying to dismiss the language those people use. The way they're using the word is perfectly useful for what they mean.

Let's tackle the real issue instead of bringing up semantics. Words are not what the dictionary defines them as, they're what the people who use them think they are.

Yes, because being targeted as a paedophile or labeled as one, incorrectly, is no big deal. It's a harmless label, really...:rolleyes:

Only that it is perceived as a really horrible and despicable label by people....

I think semantics is exactly what is important for these mobs...or at least should be.

It is statistically unlikely that someone from a population of folks who seek out a child on the internet and travel to the meetup location , is doing it for the first time. And even less likely that a majority of the population defined above meet the criteria.

Therefore the hypothesis must be that it is most likely not the first time for most people and that therefore a child(ren) have been harmed before.

Statistically, eh? Then you can go ahead and provide the statistics, of course (and DON'T tell me to "Google it" - that crap just admits that you're lying)

Nor does it stand against the first hypothetical case I suggested earlier.

Statistically, eh? Then you can go ahead and provide the statistics, of course (and DON'T tell me to "Google it" - that crap just admits that you're lying)

Nor does it stand against the first hypothetical case I suggested earlier.
    Statistically unlikely was my hypothesis.

Since you made a claim I shall refer to your empirical evidence which you provided... oh wait,

I guess it's just easier to believe that everyone is on their first offence. Put your head in the sand and your children in harms way. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Since you made a claim I shall refer to your empirical evidence which you provided... oh wait,

I guess it's just easier to believe that everyone is on their first offence. Put your head in the sand and your children in harms way. Great.

so what statistics is your hypothesis based on? Because if the answer is "none" then you are just pulling things out of your arse

so what statistics is your hypothesis based on? Because if the answer is "none" then you are just pulling things out of your arse
    If you knew anything about hypotheses you'd know it's not based on empirical evidence.

What reason have you to pull out of your arse to believe it's every pedos first time when they are caught!!

If you knew anything about hypotheses you'd know it's not based on empirical evidence.

What reason have you to pull out of your arse to believe it's every pedos first time when they are caught!!

I know what a hypothesis is, thanks. and it needs to have at least some evidence before you can make it. Otherwise it is just literally pulling things from your arse.

I know what a hypothesis is, thanks. and it needs to have at least some evidence before you can make it. Otherwise it is just literally pulling things from your arse.
    You don't, it's a hypothesis based on experience/presumption.
    You then try to prove or disprove the null based on evidence. In the evidence of proof to the contrary the null hypothesis is presumed correct.

Then it's not statistical and you can't prove it. A hypothetisis is an idea awaiting reserarch.

Someone else's post...? :confused: Nothing to do with anything I posted.

• Advertisement

You don't, it's a hypothesis based on experience/presumption.
    You then try to prove or disprove the null based on evidence. In the evidence of proof to the contrary the null hypothesis is presumed correct.

how much experience do you have with paedophiles?

Advertisement