Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Can't wait for Farrell to play well followed by a certain cohort believing he should start ahead of Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

My only concern is the lineout. Also what does Sean Cronin have to do to start a game?!? He has rarely been in better form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

I think Farrell is a liability in defense, consistently bites in and gets taken out of the game by diving at a defender - I hope he proves me wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

My only concern is the lineout. Also what does Sean Cronin have to do to start a game?!? He has rarely been in better form.

Dye his hair :-) I think the ginger is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Based on what?

We went 11/12 last week

Best has always been a consistently better thrower than Cronin.

Cronin is in great form but dropping the captain to bring in a poorer thrower doesn't make much sense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Faugheen wrote: »
    Can't wait for Farrell to play well followed by a certain cohort believing he should start ahead of Ringrose.

Genuinely don't think I've heard anyone express this view? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Based on what?

We went 11/12 last week

Cronin is in great form but dropping the captain to bring in a poorer thrower doesn't make much sense

I imagine the loss of Toner is what is being referred to here, not specifically the selection of Best. I get concerned about the line out when Toner is not available or not selected.

aloooof wrote: »
    Genuinely don't think I've heard anyone express this view? :confused:

It happened last year after the Wales game.

Go back and check if you don't believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Suspectman123

Based on what?

We went 11/12 last week

Best has had far more howlers this season than cronin, but I can’t see the sense in dropping best i a game like this, need the leadership and experience for start of this game anyway
    But cronin needs to see the field on 50

It happened last year after the Wales game.

Go back and check if you don't believe me.

Genuinely just found one comment:
    Farrell - 9. Excellent. Looks like he has been playing international rugby for 50 caps. Or if he had a Henshaw disguise on, people would have been lauding how Henshaw is now so at home in international rugby. Henshaw and Ringrose, will be battling it out for a future in a green shirt beside him. Aki now surplus to needs and his time as a stopgap done.

One or 2 others suggesting Ringrose into the 23 jersey, as he came back from fitness. That was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Based on what?

We went 11/12 last week

It's the lack of lineout callers who are experienced at test level and the loss of toner, I would be comfortable is Henderson was fit.

Regarding best/cronin, Cronin has proven himself to be consistent end of last year and this year so far, he has improved a lot, not just try scoring at the back of mauls(from which he is joint top try scorer in europe) but also his ball carrying, lineouts (yes he is a decent consistent thrower now), decision making (see last weeks john cooney try v england when they had no cover in the middle of the ruck). He has certainly improved and his game has matured. While Best is soldering on, however, I always felt the best part of his game was poaching ball/slowing opposition rucks, due to his speed/toughness and canny ability to read play. When was the last time you have seen him be effective in that are at test level? The other part of his game that receives praise is his scrummaging, I can have no comment there unless you can give me, stability stats, Newtons/M^2 output and the surface contact area he gives up in the scrum, I am no scrum expert. Lastly he is there for leadership, there is no doubt he is a good leader but I don't know if that is enough to justify someone's place alone. I would at least consider swapping roles, cronin starting and besty playing 25 mins. That's just my opinion.

One or 2 others suggesting Ringrose into the 23 jersey, as he came back from fitness. That was it.

Genuinely didn’t look hard enough

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106251202&postcount=9116

‘Farrell is first choice.. will come down to form’

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106251205&postcount=9117

‘No established Irish centre apart from Henshaw...’

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106251395&postcount=9122

‘By the summer I'm not so sure Ringrose will be considered a better rugby player so straightforwardly.’

Same conversations were had over the Summer where people were saying we can’t be sure about Ringrose being undisputed first choice until we saw more from Farrell.

Good few people realised after the clinic Ringrose put on against Scotland that it was clear as day who the best centre we have is. Still expecting some to lose the run of themselves when Farrell has another good game on Saturday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Buer wrote: »
    I think SOB's ceiling is obviously higher than any other option at flanker in Irish rugby but, with that said, it's very much up in the air if he is able to play to that level any longer. He has started about 10 games of rugby since the Lions tour and I would guess he has departed injured in about 4 of those and he certainly never got back to the same heights that he showed us in NZ.

He's going to need some sort of run of 3 or 4 games before he's back up to speed. At 32, it simply isn't a case any longer that he can just bounce back from injury and deliver a huge performance. He has had a couple of appearances now over the past few weeks but I'd much prefer if he had been allowed play for Leinster against the Scarlets to get some extra game time in his legs.

If his body holds up, I think he'll go well enough at the weekend but I'm quite dubious as to whether we'll ever see the SOB of old again at this point. Given his injury issues over the years, I think it's even a mild surprise his career has made it to 32.

+1 from me for the new thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Good few people realised after the clinic Ringrose put on against Scotland that it was clear as day who the best centre we have is. Still expecting some to lose the run of themselves when Farrell has another good game on Saturday though.

You're deliberately taking things completely out of context and those quotes do not match up with what you claimed. You snip a quote from me of "no established Irish centre aside from Henshaw."

And, at the time, this was accurate. Ringrose had not played a minute of the 6N to that point and had missed all of the November tests. He was lining out for Leinster the day before Farrell played against Wales.

So yes, there was no established Irish centre outside of Henshaw at that time.

In no way does it mean anything about a cohort of people claiming Farrell should now start ahead of him.

Genuinely didn’t look hard enough

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106251202&postcount=9116

‘Farrell is first choice.. will come down to form’

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106251205&postcount=9117

‘No established Irish centre apart from Henshaw...’

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106251395&postcount=9122

‘By the summer I'm not so sure Ringrose will be considered a better rugby player so straightforwardly.’

As someone who's accused me of mis-quoting you / twisting your quotes in the past, these seem extremely selective to me at best, and at worst disingenuous.

Did you even read Buer's full post which you've linked above??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The title of the thread is SEE MOD WARNING?

Those crooked tyrants have truly lost it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

And that one comment is from a well known Leinster fan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

And that one comment is from a well known Leinster fan :D

Sir, I don't care what you have to say. With a name like that i will quote regardless.

Buer wrote: »
    You're deliberately taking things completely out of context and those quotes do not match up with what you claimed. You snip a quote from me of "no established Irish centre aside from Henshaw."

And, at the time, this was accurate. Ringrose had not played a minute of the 6N to that point and had missed all of the November tests. He was lining out for Leinster the day before Farrell played against Wales.

So yes, there was no established Irish centre outside of Henshaw at that time.

In no way does it mean anything about a cohort of people claiming Farrell should now start ahead of him.

Ringrose was more than established. He was coming back from injury at the time but there was nothing to suggest that he was anything other than first choice 13 when everyone was available.

Fact is, people questioned Ringrose’s ability and suggested that Farrell would surpass him. It’s gone on to be proven to be absolute nonsense and theres no Irish 13 within touching distance of him.

People completely jumped the gun with Farrell’s performance against Wales and it’s not going to be the last time it happens either, because Irish rugby fans have a tendency to think a back-up player who does well when called upon is suddenly in the hunt to start when everyone’s fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Still haven’t seen a shred of evidence of anyone questioning Ringroses ability.

This is persecution complex stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ringrose was more than established. He was coming back from injury at the time but there was nothing to suggest that he was anything other than first choice 13 when everyone was available.

He had 10 starts to his name. He was playing with Leinster the day before. If he was considered in the manner you believe, he would have been in the Irish team rather than facing the Southern Kings whilst Chris Farrell was handed his first ever appearance in the 6N. If he was "more than established" he would have been treated in that manner and brought straight back into the side.

Again, this is all whataboutery anyway and does not in any way support what you claimed regarding people saying Farrell should start ahead of him nor anyone questioning his ability. That would be quite clear if you didn't try to misrepresent what people actually said at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

A guy plays well and people believe he should start the next day.....OMG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The title of the thread is SEE MOD WARNING?

Those crooked tyrants have truly lost it now.

Go on. You kow where the naughty step is. 5 minutes, and don't let me see you in this room until that's up!

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fact is, people questioned Ringrose’s ability and suggested that Farrell would surpass him. It’s gone on to be proven to be absolute nonsense and theres no Irish 13 within touching distance of him.

People completely jumped the gun with Farrell’s performance against Wales and it’s not going to be the last time it happens either, because Irish rugby fans have a tendency to think a back-up player who does well when called upon is suddenly in the hunt to start when everyone’s fit.
    Enough of this nonsense. You're starting arguments about things that haven't even happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I prefer Farrell to Henshaw at 13! I also prefer Addison at 13.
    Henshaw is better at 12, but Aki may have taken the shirt.
    Henshaw may not be guaranteed a start, unless he passes Aki.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Henshaw is a top quality 12. Not world class, but a very good one. Aki is similar imo.
    As far as 13 goes, Henshaw is not at international level imo.
    I think we build up our better players to the point that we think maybe one of our opposition would start on our team!
    Ringrose is the best 13 by quite a ways, imo.
    After him. I think Aki and Addison are good options.
    Both Farrells are also good options.
    Then there's not really anyone else?
    This match on the weekend will help us see how we respond after getting horsed.
    I expect a massive improvement and I think we win by a few points.
    My biggest concern is Murray. I hope he's fit and gets it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think Henshaw is a top quality 12. Not world class, but a very good one. Aki is similar imo.
    As far as 13 goes, Henshaw is not at international level imo.
    I think we build up our better players to the point that we think maybe one of our opposition would start on our team!
    Ringrose is the best 13 by quite a ways, imo.
    After him. I think Aki and Addison are good options.
    Both Farrells are also good options.
    Then there's not really anyone else?
    This match on the weekend will help us see how we respond after getting horsed.
    I expect a massive improvement and I think we win by a few points.
    My biggest concern is Murray. I hope he's fit and gets it together.
    I think Henshaw would be international level 13 if he had played there. He was initially a 13 but hasnt played there too much recently and has become an excellent 12. I wouldnt have Ringrose by quite a way the best 13. I think Aki is very much an excellent option at 13 and certainly as much as Ringrose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I think Henshaw would be international level 13 if he had played there. He was initially a 13 but hasnt played there too much recently and has become an excellent 12. I wouldnt have Ringrose by quite a way the best 13. I think Aki is very much an excellent option at 13 and certainly as much as Ringrose.

Ringrose is the best 13 we have by a country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

Synode wrote: »

Ringrose is the best 13 we have by a country mile

He's one of the best 13s in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’d tend to agree that Ringrose is our best 13 by a bit of a distance. Every element of his game is strong and he does the nuts and bolts so, so well. Even last week when we were getting bossed all over he looked good.

I’m not sure about Aki at 13. Would need to see more of him there at that level. For me it’s Farrell and Addison next up. Henshaw and Aki are our 12s with pretty much nothing between them. That’s a good group of centres to be fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement