Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

troyzer wrote: »

Good interview here, same old reserved ****e but he gives away more than most.

In other news, Luke Fitzgerald is going full on Neil Francis lately in the Left Wing saying we should be starting Zebo and dropping Roux just because he's South African.

Someone should probably tell him that Quinn Roux has an Irish passport...

https://www.the42.ie/quinn-roux-ireland-passport-citizen-4504685-Feb2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What about his speed to rucks and the time he takes to get the ball out? Harder things to measure but equally as important I would think.

That was the single biggest thing that stood out to me in the first half against Italy. There were at least 3 or 4 occasions where the ball was at the back of the ruck and Murray was still making his way across to the base, allowing the defence to reset and line up attackers. Kinsella's analysis is great but I find it odd for him to overlook/not include that facet of a scrumhalf performance.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    That was the single biggest thing that stood out to me in the first half against Italy. There were at least 3 or 4 occasions where the ball was at the back of the ruck and Murray was still making his way across to the base, allowing the defence to reset and line up attackers. Kinsella's analysis is great but I find it odd for him to overlook/not include that facet of a scrumhalf performance.

There's definitely an element of "the lady doth protest too much" in that article

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Good interview here, same old reserved ****e but he gives away more than most.

In other news, Luke Fitzgerald is going full on Neil Francis lately in the Left Wing saying we should be starting Zebo and dropping Roux just because he's South African.

Fitzgerald lost any credibility as a pundit pretty much as soon as he started, and deserves as much respect as Francis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Zzippy wrote: »
    Fitzgerald lost any credibility as a pundit pretty much as soon as he started, and deserves as much respect as Francis.

Yeah. I still listen to his podcast though because for whatever reason, a lot of guys still in camp like him and he does manage to land big name interviews with people who seem more willing to open up to him than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    There's definitely an element of "the lady doth protest too much" in that article

I don't want to be disingenuous as Kinsella is doing work that no other rugby journalist does in this country....or most countries for that matter.

But I always take it with a small pinch of salt when I see a journalist passing comment/verdict on a player that was a former team mate.

There's undoubtedly a lot true in what he says but the tone of the article from the very outset is to reel in the criticism Murray has been experiencing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yeah. I still listen to his podcast though because for whatever reason, a lot of guys still in camp like him and he does manage to land big name interviews with people who seem more willing to open up to him than normal.

He's a terrible interviewer though, if I want to hear an interview I want to hear the person beign interviewed, not the interviewer constantly interjecting and talking over them. He may have improved, I stopped listening a long time ago. He's also as biased as Frankie Sheahan was, and as xenophobic as Francis. Not a good combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

His accent...I can't.

He's a terrible interviewer though, if I want to hear an interview I want to hear the person beign interviewed, not the interviewer constantly interjecting and talking over them. He may have improved, I stopped listening a long time ago. He's also as biased as Frankie Sheahan was, and as xenophobic as Francis. Not a good combination.

Awful interviewer but for whatever reason, lads will talk to him. Even if he tries really hard to **** it up.

He's a bit better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Buer wrote: »
    I don't want to be disingenuous as Kinsella is doing work that no other rugby journalist does in this country....or most countries for that matter.

But I always take it with a small pinch of salt when I see a journalist passing comment/verdict on a player that was a former team mate.

There's undoubtedly a lot true in what he says but the tone of the article from the very outset is to reel in the criticism Murray has been experiencing.

Kinsella is a class act. Love his pieces. This falls short of his usual standards.
    How can you properly analyse a 9 without discussing the speed of the pass? It’s nearly back at his 2011 level.

I thought his finest ever performance was vFra in 2017. Everything he did that day was World class. Including his defense.
    He is so far from that level today I have my doubts if he can get close to that by September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

He just regurgitates other interviews. Every time it's "You've said XYZ before when speaking to <name>, is that true?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Kinsella is a class act. Love his pieces. This falls short of his usual standards.
    How can you properly analyse a 9 without discussing the speed of the pass? It’s nearly back at his 2011 level.

I thought his finest ever performance was vFra in 2017. Everything he did that day was World class. Including his defense.
    He is so far from that level today I have my doubts if he can get close to that by September.

It would be interesting to see someone do an analysis of ruck times. Italy were getting such quick ball in the first half particularly. Ours seemed very slow by comparison.
    with the way Murray Kinsella likes to dig into the details he could give some great insight.
    What's a good ruck time? (look at other top teams)
    how many of our rucks went over this?
    what caused the slow ball? (bad presentation, clear out, scrum half, opposition being sneaky, the rest of the team getting set)

If anyone here knows Murray and wants to pass on the idea please do.

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see someone do an analysis of ruck times. Italy were getting such quick ball in the first half particularly. Ours seemed very slow by comparison.
    with the way Murray Kinsella likes to dig into the details he could give some great insight.
    what caused the slow ball? (bad presentation, clear out, scrum half, opposition being sneaky, the rest of the team getting set)

I think 3 seconds is the gold standard of fast ruck. I could be wrong there but from tackle to pass, 3 seconds is the aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Mr Tickle wrote: »

Less than 3 secs is quick ball.
    I’m not sure if Ireland ruck ball itself has been much over 3secs. But Murray getting the ball away from the ruck has been slow.
    Opposition aren’t committing players to the ruck, which brings up the offside line and they blitz up (generally offside) on the delayed and slow pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think I’d like to see a few more pick and goes from rucks. ‘Go through the guts’ as EOS would say to keep the defenses a bit more honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Frankly it's my favourite publication.

The annual subscription fees are justified by the page 3 spreads

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

clsmooth wrote: »
    I think I’d like to see a few more pick and goes from rucks. ‘Go through the guts’ as EOS would say to keep the defenses a bit more honest.

100%
    we dont seem to be willing to consider that as an option, which allows for the defending team fan out easier.

another sign that we are missing Leavy, who has a bit of a knack for that move... coupled with his (almost) trademark 1 / 2 with Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

he may be a poor interviewer , but how is he xenophobic, is it for saying Roux is South African ?

thebaz wrote: »
    he may be a poor interviewer , but how is he xenophobic, is it for saying Roux is South African ?

He doesn't want him on the team because he was born in South Africa.

Despite being an Irish citizen and having lived here for seven years. If somebody in work told you they didn't want to hire somebody even though they were Irish because they were born in a different country, you'd be calling them xenophobic and racist.

I hope.

He doesn't want him on the team because he was born in South Africa.

Despite being an Irish citizen and having lived here for seven years. If somebody in work told you they didn't want to hire somebody even though they were Irish because they were born in a different country, you'd be calling them xenophobic and racist.

I hope.

don't see that as racist - like I see James Lowe as a New Zealander , but cause he lives hear 3 or 4 years to play rugby professionally, is he suddenly Irish - PC nonsense really, people can have opinions on this without being termed racist. The work examkle is totally irrelevant , we are talking about players playing international rugby.

• Advertisement

don't see that as racist - like I see James Lowe as a New Zealander , but cause he lives hear 3 or 4 years to play rugby professionally, is he suddenly Irish - PC nonsense really, people can have opinions on this without being termed racist. The work examkle is totally irrelevant , we are talking about players playing international rugby.

If he becomes an Irish citizen, yes. He is Irish.

We are talking about Irish citizens playing Irish international rugby in complete compliance with the World Rugby regulations.

Saying he shouldn't be there because he was born abroad is xenophobic, it just is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If you actually listen to the podcast which no one has, he says he doesn't like the project thing but he's also very clear that he couldn't understand the Roux selection because Henderson is so much better. Which is true. Roux isn't at the required level.

Do we have to get outraged over everything?

Apparently, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Racist and xenophobic are pretty big accusations to be thrown around and not valid in this instance in my opinion, James Lowe i would still call a kiwi even if he lived her for 7 years - nothing about that is racist

If you actually listen to the podcast which no one has, he says he doesn't like the project thing but he's also very clear that he couldn't understand the Roux selection because Henderson is so much better. Which is true.

Do we have to get outraged over everything?

Apparently, yes.

I did listen to it. He initially says Roux shouldn't be playing because "he's not Irish". He later mentions that Henderson was better. But he definitely led off with "he's not Irish".

Listen to it from the 37:00 mark.

If he becomes an Irish citizen, yes. He is Irish.

We are talking about Irish citizens playing Irish international rugby in complete compliance with the World Rugby regulations.

Saying he shouldn't be there because he was born abroad is xenophobic, it just is.

to have an opinion on whether professional rugby players are eligble to play for a particular country is now ok to be termed racist or zenohobic - this is just PC nonsense - from someone who has witnessed real racism , and stood up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Racist and xenophobic are pretty big accusations to be thrown around and not valid in this instance in my opinion, James Lowe i would still call a kiwi even if he lived her for 7 years - nothing about that is racist

Yeah.

Apparently its bang out of order to call a South African guy South African but absolutely fine to call someone a racist for saying it.

Such is the internet.

Roux isn't good enough. That's my main issue. He can have 59 different passports and nothing will change that.

to have an opinion on whether professional rugby players are eligble to play for a particular country is now ok to be termed racist or zenohobic - this is just PC nonsense - from someone who has witnessed real racism , and stood up to it.

No, you can argue about whether or not the system is fair. But he has done absolutely nothing wrong. He's abided by all of the rules and is now as Irish as a pig's smile seeing as how he has a passport. He's a citizen and that's good enough for me.

Go after the system, not the man. But the idea that you'd drop an Irish citizen (which Henderson might not be by the way) because he was born abroad is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What has citizenship of ROI got to do with eligibility for an all island team? I'm lost.

• Advertisement

No, you can argue about whether or not the system is fair. But he has done absolutely nothing wrong. He's abided by all of the rules and is now as Irish as a pig's smile seeing as how he has a passport. He's a citizen and that's good enough for me.

Go after the system, not the man. But the idea that you'd drop an Irish citizen (which Henderson might not be by the way) because he was born abroad is madness.

but to have an opinion that he is South African (even thogh he was born and bred) and that Henderson or Dillane or Beirne may be more eligble to play professional rugby fort Ireland- is grounds to be called racist , is not how I understand the word racist , or what Mandela and Martin Luther King fought for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement