Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

The surprise is not that Cronin is dropped but that he's still in the frame at all.

He's a better hooker than Scannell and much better than Herring. I'm very comfortable saying that and I'm ready for the Munster and Ulster backlash.

However, to paraphrase Rob Kearney, coaches are human too. Joe just doesn't like/trust/rate Cronin for whatever reason, he never has. If Strauss' body hadn't fallen to pieces Cronin would have a fraction of the caps he has.

Joe can see just as well as we can that the whole lineout was a mess against Italy. He saw the lack of improvement when Scannell came on. No objective review would say Cronin was the only problem, but dropping him and calling up Herring is a very clear statement of exactly that.

Such is pro sport I guess.

Cronin had a bad game, that can't be brushed over. He was given his chance after so long and he blew it. He was handicapped slightly with having Roux calling. Scannell should get a chance starting, if he doesn't perform then we really are in trouble at hooker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Perifect wrote: »
    Cronin had a bad game, that can't be brushed over. He was given his chance after so long and he blew it. He was handicapped slightly with having Roux calling. Scannell should get a chance starting, if he doesn't perform then we really are in trouble at hooker.

Roux, who called the lineouts 100% in the Scotland game? That Roux?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

It's pretty obvious that Croning had a mediocre game but hardly a droppable performance. The entire lineout malfunctioned and it's not just on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Zzippy wrote: »
    Roux, who called the lineouts 100% in the Scotland game? That Roux?

Yes. Having front line players operating the line out would have assisted Cronin, there's little doubt in that.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1103239039744921601?s=20

Ross Byrne in the squad, very interesting. I wonder if he'll actually make an appearance or if he's just holding the bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ireland Squad (Guinness Six Nations Championship, Round 4)

Forwards (21)
    Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 115 caps (c)
    Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 4 caps
    Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 12 caps
    Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 13 caps
    Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 31 caps
    Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 86 caps
    Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 43 caps
    Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 7 caps
    Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 27 caps
    Jack McGrath (St Marys College/Leinster) 54 caps
    Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Ulster) 27 caps
    Sean O’Brien (UCD/Leinster) 55 caps
    Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 55 caps (vc)
    Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 13 caps
    Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 11 caps
    Rhys Ruddock (Lansdowne/Leinster) 21 caps
    James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 15 caps
    John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 17 caps
    Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 12 caps
    CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 29 caps
    Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 16 caps

Backs (16)
    Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 15 caps
    Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
    Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 18 caps
    Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht) 1 cap
    Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 11 caps
    John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 7 caps
    Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 75 caps
    Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 5 caps
    Tom Farrell (Coolmine/Connacht) 0 caps
    Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 89 caps
    Jordan Larmour (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 11 caps
    Kieran Marmion (Galwegians/Connacht) 24 caps
    Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 70 caps
    Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 18 caps
    Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 81 caps (vc)
    Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 17 caps

• Registered Users Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Probably still doubts over Carbery's fitness if Byrne is included. I'm pleased for him though. He's played well this season. Glad to see Marmion too. He goes straight into the 23 if fit.

More notable is the absence of Leavy and Henshaw. I'd hoped they'd be back before the end of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

troyzer wrote: »
    Ross Byrne in the squad, very interesting. I wonder if he'll actually make an appearance or if he's just holding the bags.

All 4 OHs are in the picture for selection for the RWC. No harm in having him in camp. All the experience he can get is beneficial.

And Leinster have no games either so might as well get him in.

But yeah I don't expect him to be pushing for 2nd choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You'd have to ask what the point is in naming a 37-man squad two days before you have to announce the match-day 23.

Leavy was never going to make it, that was just Joe bullsh1t, why he feels the need to say these things I'll never know.

AFAIK, Cronin the only omission after Rome. This might be it for him.

Clegg wrote: »
    Probably still doubts over Carbery's fitness if Byrne is included. I'm pleased for him though. He's played well this season. Glad to see Marmion too. He goes straight into the 23 if fit.

More notable is the absence of Leavy and Henshaw. I'd hoped they'd be back before the end of the tournament.

Guess with Leavy not back playing with Leinster to prove fitness it was looking unlikely. No Pro14 game til after 6N so say he won't be included for Wales game either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 115 caps (c)
    Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 7 caps
    Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 12 caps

Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 27 caps
    Jack McGrath (St Marys College/Leinster) 54 caps
    Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 86 caps

Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 31 caps
    Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 13 caps
    John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) 17 caps

Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 4 caps
    Ultan Dillane (Corinthians/Connacht) 13 caps
    Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 43 caps
    Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 11 caps
    James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 15 caps

Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 12 caps
    Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Ulster) 27 caps
    Sean O’Brien (UCD/Leinster) 55 caps
    Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 55 caps (vc)
    Rhys Ruddock (Lansdowne/Leinster) 21 caps
    CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 29 caps
    Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 16 caps

John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 7 caps
    Kieran Marmion (Galwegians/Connacht) 24 caps
    Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 70 caps

Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 2 caps
    Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 18 caps
    Jack Carty (Buccaneers/Connacht) 1 cap
    Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 81 caps (vc)

Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 15 caps
    Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 5 caps
    Tom Farrell (Coolmine/Connacht) 0 caps
    Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 18 caps

Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 11 caps
    Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 75 caps
    Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 89 caps
    Jordan Larmour (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 11 caps
    Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 17 caps

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would imagine that Leinster's lack of any matches between now and the end of the 6N is a decisive factor in including Byrne. No harm in doing so. Oddly, I think he's now playing less well than he was when he was originally left out. I certainly don't see him having much chance of being involved this weekend even if Carbery is out.

Addison, Henshaw, Leavy, Cronin, Adam Byrne all left out for various reasons.

Buer wrote: »
    I would imagine that Leinster's lack of any matches between now and the end of the 6N is a decisive factor in including Byrne. No harm in doing so. Oddly, I think he's now playing less well than he was when he was originally left out. I certainly don't see him having much chance of being involved this weekend even if Carbery is out.

Addison, Henshaw, Leavy, Cronin, Adam Byrne all left out for various reasons.

I agree, I think Byrne has been very average at best lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We've only one inside centre in the squad. God forbid anything happens to Aki now. Presumably it'll now be himself and Ringrose to start the next two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

We've only one inside centre in the squad. God forbid anything happens to Aki now. Presumably it'll now be himself and Ringrose to start the next two games.

Tom Farrell plays there a bit too. And Ringrose played there along side Payne for some Australian game.

I thought we might see Rory Scannel called in. Even as an emercency 10.
    Himself, Bundee and Tom Farrell are probably the three most durable centres we have.

• Administrators Posts: 53,337 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The surprise is not that Cronin is dropped but that he's still in the frame at all.

He's a better hooker than Scannell and much better than Herring. I'm very comfortable saying that and I'm ready for the Munster and Ulster backlash.

However, to paraphrase Rob Kearney, coaches are human too. Joe just doesn't like/trust/rate Cronin for whatever reason, he never has. If Strauss' body hadn't fallen to pieces Cronin would have a fraction of the caps he has.

Joe can see just as well as we can that the whole lineout was a mess against Italy. He saw the lack of improvement when Scannell came on. No objective review would say Cronin was the only problem, but dropping him and calling up Herring is a very clear statement of exactly that.

Such is pro sport I guess.
    No backlash here.

McBurney, not Herring, will be Ulster's replacement for Best.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I thought we might see Rory Scannel called in. Even as an emercency 10.

Why would we call in an emergency 10 when we've just added another to the squad :confused:

Why would we call in an emergency 10 when we've just added another to the squad :confused:

Presumably they thought Scannell would be called in prior to Byrne getting called up...

If Aki were to drop I'd assume it would be Ringrose Farrell combo with Ringrose at 12.

His versatility is a bit understated I think because he's such a good 13, but his intelligence for the game would allow him to slot in 12. Especially with a fella like Farrell playing outside him

awec wrote: »
    No backlash here.

McBurney, not Herring, will be Ulster's replacement for Best.

Just on that, I suppose this is one of the reasons I feel Cronin being dropped from a 37 man squad is harsh. As far as I have seen Herring is not hitting his form of recent seasons so far this season. I haven't seen his performances in the past few weeks and I know he has been in try scoring form but, overall, I would have thought he had generally played himself down the pecking order?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,337 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just on that, I suppose this is one of the reasons I feel Cronin being dropped from a 37 man squad is harsh. As far as I have seen Herring is not hitting his form of recent seasons so far this season. I haven't seen his performances in the past few weeks and I know he has been in try scoring form but, overall, I would have thought he had generally played himself down the pecking order?
    I don't know if he has played himself down the pecking order, but it's odd that he's parachuted in in the middle of a six nations.

When I first heard the Cronin dropped rumours my first thought was if there was more to it. It seems... weird.

Presumably they thought Scannell would be called in prior to Byrne getting called up...

Basically this.
    He's also a good centre in his own right. The versatility is just an aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Basically this.

Misread it, my bad.

Basically this.

I think Rory Scannell is in that group of players that Schmidt simply doesn't really rate. He has been left out of wider training squads a number of times despite starting for Munster and playing relatively well. He was getting into the squads for about a year which resulted in being capped on the weakened summer tour in 2017 but has been pretty much in the cold for a year now.

I think Rory Scannell is in that group of players that Schmidt simply doesn't really rate. He has been left out of wider training squads a number of times despite starting for Munster and playing relatively well. He was getting into the squads for about a year which resulted in being capped on the weakened summer tour in 2017 but has been pretty much in the cold for a year now.

The Facedoesntfits lead by captain Darren Cave.
    Although with Scannel and McCloskey Cave might not actually get selected for that team either :L

Dennis Buckley and TOH get honorable mentions.

awec wrote: »
    I don't know if he has played himself down the pecking order, but it's odd that he's parachuted in in the middle of a six nations.

When I first heard the Cronin dropped rumours my first thought was if there was more to it. It seems... weird.

It's not like Cronin is being released back to Leinster. No games for Ulster either so presumably that plays a part. But does seem a bit odd that in a 37 man squad with 21 forwards there's no room for Cronin. Guess that number includes Stander and Ruddock back too though.

Fair enough he wasn't making the 23 but to miss out on being named among 21 forwards is bit odd.

The Facedoesntfits lead by captain Darren Cave.
    Although with Scannel and McCloskey Cave might not actually get selected for that team either :L

Cave is an odd one. Schmidt obviously rated him to some degree and brought him to the RWC and gave him a handful of caps but since then, he has completely fallen off the radar and not only with Ireland but with his province too where he's not near first choice at this point.

Arnold, Farrell, Aki, Addison, Ringrose, Henshaw and McCloskey have all been capped in the centre since Scannell's last one so I'd imagine he's way down the pecking order at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

How Cronin has amassed so many caps without being able to consistently throw accurate darts into a lineout is a mystery. Hes terrific in the loose and score loads of tries for Leinster but its an unforgivable flaw that he cant throw. Id say Schmidt has just lost patience with him, particularly after one of his errant throws cost Ireland a try against Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

reg114 wrote: »
    How Cronin has amassed so many caps without being able to consistently throw accurate darts into a lineout is a mystery. Hes terrific in the loose and score loads of tries for Leinster but its an unforgivable flaw that he cant throw. Id say Schmidt has just lost patience with him, particularly after one of his errant throws cost Ireland a try against Italy.

His darts have been absolutely fine for Leinster though over last 2-3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Perifect wrote: »
    Yes. Having front line players operating the line out would have assisted Cronin, there's little doubt in that.

I guess Toner might have caught the overthrows that no one else got near, but then he wasn't playing, and apart from that there is nothing certain about your statement above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement