Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

reg114 wrote: »
    How Cronin has amassed so many caps without being able to consistently throw accurate darts into a lineout is a mystery. Hes terrific in the loose and score loads of tries for Leinster but its an unforgivable flaw that he cant throw. Id say Schmidt has just lost patience with him, particularly after one of his errant throws cost Ireland a try against Italy.

Thats a lazy stereotype at this stage. Anyone who has watched Cronin over the past year or two will know this has not been an issue while playing for Leinster.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

reg114 wrote: »
    How Cronin has amassed so many caps without being able to consistently throw accurate darts into a lineout is a mystery. Hes terrific in the loose and score loads of tries for Leinster but its an unforgivable flaw that he cant throw. Id say Schmidt has just lost patience with him, particularly after one of his errant throws cost Ireland a try against Italy.
    There is no real alternative of a suitable standard. As someone said earlier, if Strauss had managed to play another few years Cronin would have a lot less caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Leinster and Ireland have a pretty elite lineout on the lifting side which helps paper over the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Scannell is a comfortably better hooker for me anyway.

He must have performed exceptionally poorly for the coaches to completely jettison him, if it actually was related to that performance. No one outside the camp really has a clue what he was expected to do by the setup and how close he was to that, worth remembering.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Zzippy wrote: »
    I guess Toner might have caught the overthrows that no one else got near, but then he wasn't playing, and apart from that there is nothing certain about your statement above.

Or you know, someone who can just time their jumps remotely adequately.

If a jump at its apex is high enough to win the ball but the jumper is dropping before the ball arrives, then it’s not an overthrow. It’s either inconsistent throwing technique, a bad jump or a bad lift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

If Aki were to drop I'd assume it would be Ringrose Farrell combo with Ringrose at 12.

His versatility is a bit understated I think because he's such a good 13, but his intelligence for the game would allow him to slot in 12. Especially with a fella like Farrell playing outside him

Ringrose at 12............

No,just no! He's by far the best 13 in the country both in attack and defence. Absolutely not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I feal real sorry for Cronin , just as I did when he came off - he's been a super player particularly for Lienster - and anyone who has played sport will know how he must feal - hopefully he comes back stronger but it will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

No,just no! He's by far the best 13 in the country both in attack and defence. Absolutely not for me.

Agreed. If we had to move a 13 in i'd choose Chris. He's got the frame to do the crashball job that we need from our 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Fair play to you completely disregarding the first part of my point..........

Obviously I want Ringrose at 13. I wouldn't want him playing anywhere else.

But if Aki drops then we're down to no established inside centres.

Chris Farrell is a far better 13 than 12 and Garry can still bring a huge amount to that position

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Or you know, someone who can just time their jumps remotely adequately.

If a jump at its apex is high enough to win the ball but the jumper is dropping before the ball arrives, then it’s not an overthrow. It’s either inconsistent throwing technique, a bad jump or a bad lift.

Except at least one of Cronin's overthrows was well above anyone's reach, and the other was maybe in Toner's reach. If only Toner had been playing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

daddy pig wrote: »
    Thats a lazy stereotype at this stage. Anyone who has watched Cronin over the past year or two will know this has not been an issue while playing for Leinster.

But we're talking about his lineout abilities for Ireland. His throw is not good. Best isnt a world class lineout merchant either mind you, but its better than Cronin's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Murray Kinsella saying this squad is only for round 4, not rounds 4&5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There might be a bit of confirmation bias at play but really we haven't a f*cking clue, perhaps we have a confirmation bias that management has a confirmation bias.

All I know is from experience if you get labelled with any particular weakness at any point, you can overcome the weakness and consistently avoid it 99% of the time but when it gets exposed 1% of the time there will always be somebody waiting to have their bias confirmed so they can feel comfortable again.

It's hard to create an environment where that negativity doesn't creep in, if only we could wipe Management's memory once a season with that device from MIB. Or if they were actually just using artificial intelligence for selection, then we would know it was perfect and unbiased.

Buer wrote: »
    I'd never have him starting for Ireland and would readily go with Best and Scannell (and possibly Herring) ahead of him

I see this trotted out a lot but I never see any justification. According to rugbypass, his lineout stats are the same as Best's in 2018, he carries far more, makes many more tackles, beats more defenders, etc etc. He's been instrumental for Leinster, playing almost twice as many minutes as Best does for Ulster.

Yet I read "he's only an impact sub" all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I see this trotted out a lot but I never see any justification. According to rugbypass, his lineout stats are the same as Best's in 2018, he carries far more, makes many more tackles, beats more defenders, etc etc. He's been instrumental for Leinster, playing almost twice as many minutes as Best does for Ulster.

Yet I read "he's only an impact sub" all the time.

Maybe playing international rugby is harder than being part of the all-conquering Leinster side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Cronin had a bad game! No doubt. So, he's dropped into the abyss!
    Murray is dog**** for 3 games and......
    I think Cronin will always only be a sub at international level.
    It's not a certainty he goes to Japan either.
    Murray is apparently undroppable, no matter how slow and ponderous he is and regardless of several grounded passes.
    If Marmion starts this week, I think we will win.
    If Murray starts, I'm not very confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Maybe playing international rugby is harder than being part of the all-conquering Leinster side.

I mean it definitely is, test rugby is the Pinnacle obviously.

But then one performance doesn't make a good statistic, has he been this bad in his previous substitute appearances at test level?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I mean it definitely is, test rugby is the Pinnacle obviously.

But then one performance doesn't make a good statistic, has he been this bad in his previous substitute appearances at test level?

Not "this" bad. But has he been great in those appearnces? He's come on and done a job.

Stuart McCloskey is a great, pivotal player for Ulster this season. I wouldn't argue for him for the international team. Maybe the same goes for Cronin.

Did you miss this part?
    According to rugbypass, his lineout stats are the same as Best's in 2018, he carries far more, makes many more tackles, beats more defenders, etc etc.

His stats playing for Ireland in 2018 were the same for lineouts, and much better on field. Rugbypass doesn't publish scrums won/lost or breakdown work though.

Also,
    But has he been great in those appearnces? He's come on and done a job.
    This doesn't apply to Scannell and Best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

See, I don't see anyone claiming that Cronin is the best thrower ever, or that he played well against Italy.

The issue is that nothing about his performance was so bad that he should be dropped from the wider squad entirely. There's simply no way that he's dropped only because of the Italy game.

With Best coming back in and Scannell on the bench, Herring isn't even going to feature. It would have been no big hardship to pick Scannell, keep Cronin in camp and come up with some Joe-speak about giving as many guys a run as possible. Dropping Cronin was a very deliberate course of action and I would be surprised if he goes to the RWC now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Players like Cronin are the reason it’s an all-conquering Leinster side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That squad is surprisingly light on test experience. Only about a dozen players have 30 or more caps. There are some players that I am surprised have so few as they seem to have been around for ages.

It's only in the last two years that (imho) Schmidt has started to loosen up and start giving more players gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

See, I don't see anyone claiming that Cronin is the best thrower ever, or that he played well against Italy.

The issue is that nothing about his performance was so bad that he should be dropped from the wider squad entirely. There's simply no way that he's dropped only because of the Italy game.

With Best coming back in and Scannell on the bench, Herring isn't even going to feature. It would have been no big hardship to pick Scannell, keep Cronin in camp and come up with some Joe-speak about giving as many guys a run as possible. Dropping Cronin was a very deliberate course of action and I would be surprised if he goes to the RWC now.

on that last point, maybe that's what's happening. Joe wants to get Scannell some time. maybe it's all about WC prep, maybe Cronin's form has something to do with it. So he decides to give Herring (as a WC option) a couple of weeks in camp to stay up to date on the systems.
    It seems like a harsh way to man manage Cronin but maybe it's there as an incentive.
    Or Joe hates his ginger guts. who knows?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's only in the last two years that (imho) Schmidt has started to loosen up and start giving more players gametime.

in 2018 he capped 6 players
    in 2017 he capped 14 players

in 2016, 19 caps

your recollection is incorrect

sydthebeat wrote: »

in 2016, 19 caps

Have you got 2014 and 2015? I'm thinking of noticing new players in the six nations, but he probably caps more in the AIs

Also, caps isn't gametime, if talking about 'correct' or 'incorrect' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

sydthebeat wrote: »

in 2016, 19 caps

Post World Cup (and cycle), you will always cap more players so 2016 would always be higher.

Post World Cup (and cycle), you will always cap more players so 2016 would always be higher.

exactly my point

Have you got 2014 and 2015? I'm thinking of noticing new players in the six nations, but he probably caps more in the AIs

Also, caps isn't gametime, if talking about 'correct' or 'incorrect' :)

yeah fair point.... but i suppose im extrapolating new caps as a measure of the established players playing less games.... in that the less new players are capped, the more established players play.

so 2015 was 3 players capped in the 6N, but that has to be looked at from the point of view of RWC

2014 had 12 new caps.

i can see something similar this year... Jack Carty is the only new cap this year so far... and with two 6N games left i cant see anyone else being capped in this comp... possibly 1 or 2 more in the summer series

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Carbery is out per Newstalk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement