Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

Mods for the rest of the day

giphy.gif

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Below is last post by same mod on Ireland v England thread who is encouraging debate in Leinster thread by posting.

"Do not take this Zebo stuff to any other thread.

Thread closed."

It was a typu, meant to say ZEBO TOLERANCE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It was a typu, meant to say ZEBO TOLERANCE

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

All I'll say is I just saw a tweet by a certain person in response to this news and it was really funny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

troyzer wrote: »
    All I'll say is I just saw a tweet by a certain person in response to this news and it was really funny.

Ewan McKenna? :D

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »

Ewan McKenna? :D

I actually didn't think to check his!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭leakyboots

According to Murray Kinsella -

Munster head coach Johann van Graan is with Ireland this weekend in Edinburgh, shadowing Joe Schmidt and his coaching staff as part of his CPD through the IRFU.

Was in Carton House during the week too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I actually didn't think to check his!

Can't go too far wrong adhering to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

leakyboots wrote: »

Munster head coach Johann van Graan is with Ireland this weekend in Edinburgh, shadowing Joe Schmidt and his coaching staff as part of his CPD through the IRFU.

Is that fairly standard practice for provincial coaches?

Eod100 wrote: »

Is that fairly standard practice for provincial coaches?

Yeah, Lancaster was in with Ireland camp back in November. Happens all the time

• Advertisement

CPD?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah, Lancaster was in with Ireland camp back in November. Happens all the time

Ah cool. Guess it's last chance to see Schmidt prepare for a tournament before RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CPD?

continuing professional development

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Venjur will have a meltdown with his conspiracy theory :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Would Carbery be at Munster and Jordi be at Ulster if it wasn't a world cup year?

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Would Carbery be at Munster and Jordi be at Ulster if it wasn't a world cup year?

Nordi made the decision off his own back when he was out of contract with Leinster. He'd probably have gone anyway.

Carbery was still under contract with Leinster so there was never a chance of him moving to Munster unless the IRFU mandated it. I doubt they would have done that at the start of a world cup cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Quite like how he keeps two of them held down after Nathan Hines style too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Murphy spoke about how Schmidt said he wasn't in his selection at one point simply because he hasn't seen enough of him. That conversation was central to his move north.

Given that POM, Conan, SOB, VDF and Ruddock are all in Edinburgh and he isn't it would appear that there's also a large degree of Murphy simply least rated by Schmidt in recent times. I wonder does he regret the move on that basis. I would wager he would have started at least a couple of Leinster's pool games this season if he remained.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Buer wrote: »
    Murphy spoke about how Schmidt said he wasn't in his selection at one point simply because he hasn't seen enough of him. That conversation was central to his move north.

Given that POM, Conan, SOB, VDF and Ruddock are all in Edinburgh and he isn't it would appear that there's also a large degree of Murphy simply least rated by Schmidt in recent times. I wonder does he regret the move on that basis. I would wager he would have started at least a couple of Leinster's pool games this season if he remained.

I think it's largely due to Murphy not being as talented as the others mentioned. He's an extremely solid operator but lacks standout traits for any particular position in the backrow. He's a great role player who'll go out and perform his duties to a tee but not as likely as others to make a game changing contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

I very much doubt he regrets his move. He wasn't being selected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I very much doubt he regrets his move. He wasn't being selected!

He started 18 Leinster matches including 4 European games. He also featured in two 6N games and all the Australian tests.

He wasn't first choice but if injury gave him a sustained opportunity, I think he was in with a great shot of keeping a spot. When Conan was available for the European final, they stuck with Murphy.

The issue for him is that he is as far down the pecking order now as he ever was and possibly further despite being first choice.

:pac::pac:

Completelu intentional

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Never got the love for Jordi, thought he was a reasonably good provincial squad player who can do a job internationally if we're in a bind and he's on his game but not much more than that.

Think it was v England a few years ago he put in a performance and people on here used that as some sort of benchmark of his talent but I think that was more a case of him peaking than being an indicator of his actual level.

Think he's exactly what Ulster need though, a good move for him gametime-wise and given the attritional nature of our backrow the way Schmidders has us set up to use them it's not impossible to see him getting gametime given his versatility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

He was on fire the season before he headed up north, to be fair. Not many playing to that level across the four provinces at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He was on fire the season before he headed up north, to be fair. Not many playing to that level across the four provinces at that time.

He was playing great as well right up till he done his knee in against NZ, even in that match he was having a stormer.....

He seems a favorite of joe and I would guess a word was had in ear to move on, remember when he decided to move Heaslip hadn’t retired and was blocking his spot for the WC squad

Only after he signed did heaslip retire and suddenly he was the starting player, done exceptional last season for Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm bloody delighted to be honest. Scotland's recent home record has been excellent. After last week's performance I was very worried about today. But we saw a gritty forwards display where everyone played their part in the win. Strangled Scotland in the second half. Don't care about not getting the try bonus. The win was essential to get our tournament back on track.

Half backs and centres were abysmal and a rethink is desperately needed. Losing Sexton and Ringrose was a blow, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse for a frankly abysmal attacking performance.

Sonja McLaughlin mentioned that Carbery stepped in without missing a beat, but I don't think that's the case. We lost a lot of structure to our attack when he came on. Not necessarily his fault but it's noticeable our attack became more one dimensional with him on. But that could.be more on 9. Murray was terrible.

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm bloody delighted to be honest. Scotland's recent home record has been excellent. After last week's performance I was very worried about today. But we saw a gritty forwards display where everyone played their part in the win. Strangled Scotland in the second half. Don't care about not getting the try bonus. The win was essential to get our tournament back on track.

Half backs and centres were abysmal and a rethink is desperately needed. Losing Sexton and Ringrose was a blow, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse for a frankly abysmal attacking performance.

Sonja McLaughlin mentioned that Carbery stepped in without missing a beat, but I don't think that's the case. We lost a lot of structure to our attack when he came on. Not necessarily his fault but it's noticeable our attack became more one dimensional with him on. But that could.be more on 9. Murray was terrible.

I think Joe knows there's a problem if Sexton and Ringrose are both out which is why he's trying to develop Aki's passing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Clegg wrote: »

I think Joe knows there's a problem if Sexton and Ringrose are both out which is why he's trying to develop Aki's passing game.
    I think you're right. But whatever we're trying to do clearly isn't working. We've never been the most adventurous side under Schmidt. We're much more about discipline, pressure and forcing mistakes out of the opposition. But our attack hasn't malfunctioned this badly before. When Sexton went off we couldn't link our half backs and centres at all. We saw maybe one moment of it in the 60 minutes he was off. And it worked in fairness. Was a wide play that eventually led to a score. But for most of the game we saw a lot of miscommunication.

No Welsh bonus point is a bit of a boon there. Disappointing we didn't manage one ourselves though.

We've taken a step back since last season. It's going to be a bit of an injuries game now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

After the last 2 weekends of rugby I’m reminded of a scene from The Life of Brian:
    What have the English ever done for us?

Showed us that you must play a FB at FB?

Ireland need to fast track Larmour at FB v Italy. & probably France.
    Leinster need to alternate him with RK
    Munster need to play Conway at FB
    Ulster need to play Addison at FB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement