Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British Racing Cancelled due to Equine Flu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

So say we all Pat
    I am getting fu*kall work done the last few days scouring twitter feeds for any info on this
    (i work for myself from home)

People who don't love NH racing don't "get it"
    Yesterday you had rte "sports journos" and newstalk presenters scoffing at this, wondering was equine flu as bad as man flu ha ha ha ha....
    Drove me mad :mad:

Since Christmas once santy has come and gone all the NH fan can think about is the festival (ok maybe a slight exaggeration but ye get me)

Podcast, after AP bet, after NRNB bet, after scour of the RP .....

Then this sh*te hits!!!

Ah you would ever stop sh*ting on like a child.
    Wouldn't have us punters at top of any sympathy list ffs.

This could be devestating for people who actually rely on the industry to put food on their tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Ah you would ever stop sh*ting on like a child.
    Wouldn't have us punters at top of any sympathy list ffs.

This could be devestating for people who actually rely on the industry to put food on their tables.

With all due respect to you, piss off
    I love cheltenham, and if its cancelled i will be absolutely gutted
    I am sorry if that offends your bloody sensibilities, oh High Moral one

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

No reason why Cheltenham can't go ahead with horses from yards not on lockdown. So basically all horses trained in Ireland and Coneygree and a few others from the UK. Not ideal but it certainly beats calling the whole thing off. This isn't like a foot and mouth situation, equine flu is endemic in Ireland and the UK. Just keep horses from the yards on lockdown away from Cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

No reason why Cheltenham can't go ahead with horses from yards not on lockdown. So basically all horses trained in Ireland and Coneygree and a few others from the UK. Not ideal but it certainly beats calling the whole thing off. This isn't like a foot and mouth situation, equine flu is endemic in Ireland and the UK. Just keep horses from the yards on lockdown away from Cheltenham.

Why coneygree so special ?

Why coneygree so special ?

Yard isn't on lockdown I read somewhere. Could be wrong?

• Advertisement

Looks like what I said about no British trained winners at Cheltenham will be spot on.

What can I say? I predict these things.

Current odds from PP

Will the Cheltenham Festival start on the 12th March?
    Yes

1/4
    No

2/1

That's a big change from 1/10 this morning

Current odds from PP

Will the Cheltenham Festival start on the 12th March?
    Yes

1/4
    No

2/1

That's a big change from 1/10 this morning

Might lump on the 2/1 to soften the blow of it getting called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

UK bookmakers saying they'll be down 25 million this weekend alone over this...

People will just gamble on something else. Don't believe that for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

So say we all Pat
    I am getting fu*kall work done the last few days scouring twitter feeds for any info on this
    (i work for myself from home)

People who don't love NH racing don't "get it"
    Yesterday you had rte "sports journos" and newstalk presenters scoffing at this, wondering was equine flu as bad as man flu ha ha ha ha....
    Drove me mad :mad:

Since Christmas once santy has come and gone all the NH fan can think about is the festival (ok maybe a slight exaggeration but ye get me)

Podcast, after AP bet, after NRNB bet, after scour of the RP .....

Then this sh*te hits!!!

Wow, amazingly it's not all about you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Wow, amazingly it's not all about you

:rolleyes:

redarmy wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

For anyone just joining this thread...RivetingRover is a hysterical fanny and Scott Tenerman is still upset with Roger and he was slammed by him a couple of weeks back.

Earendil wrote: »
    For anyone just joining this thread...RivetingRover is a hysterical fanny and Scott Tenerman is still upset with Roger and he was slammed by him a couple of weeks back.

Upset lol. If you get upset by people on forums you shouldn’t be posting on them.

This enormous woman will destroy us all.....jumps out window...

Hysterical. ......check
    Fanny......harsh 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I thought humans could be carriers as well, so presumably you'd also need to 'ban' racing people who've been in contact with the yards that are on lockdown from going to Cheltenham. Trainers, staff, jockeys, vets, box-drivers, stewards, journalists?
    It doesn't seem feasible really. Either UK racing gets the full all-clear or it doesn't, I can't see your half-clear idea being the solution.

I thought humans could be carriers as well, so presumably you'd also need to 'ban' racing people who've been in contact with the yards that are on lockdown from going to Cheltenham. Trainers, staff, jockeys, vets, box-drivers, stewards, journalists?
    It doesn't seem feasible really. Either UK racing gets the full all-clear or it doesn't, I can't see your half-clear idea being the solution.

Yeah, good point.

Reading the Racing Post piece with Nigel TD and the Newmarket vet, it does seem like the BHA are playing it extremely cautiously. The Newmarket vet tweeted out something like 'it's equine flu, not ebola' and saying theres no reason to stop racing and shut down so many yards and loads of trainers have retweeted it. The horses are vaccinated and equine flu is endemic in the UK so it probably isn't so much worse than when a horse gets a bug any other time. I'd say Cheltenham is a million to be called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Twiston Davies is on the money on this. By all means, it's correct for racing to take precautions, but to close everything down for a week is just reactionary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Twiston Davies is on the money on this. By all means, it's correct for racing to take precautions, but to close everything down for a week is just reactionary.

Twiston davies is a ****ing idiot. To not close everything would have been incompetent and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Twiston davies is a ****ing idiot. To not close everything would have been incompetent and stupid.
    I don't think he is that stupid. As he said, this is horse flu, not ebola.

They are constantly testing these horses, and any horses connected with suspected cases too. By all means, get the horses checked out, but I don't see any reason why racing has to go into lockdown in the interim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Sometimes overreaction is necessary. Can't blame the BHA for being thorough because they would have been crucified had they not been seen to take every measure to prevent a mass breakout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think the main bias for the shutdown is that it is foaling season since the 1st January. If foals get the flu they are in a tight spot, it could be fatal. Yes many yards segregate foals from their racers. The issue would be the flu being transmitted at all. Vets, staff who are mucking out etc can carry a new virus strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

ITV reported 700 test results so far. 0 have the flu.

PA Racing

@PAracing
    32m32 minutes ago
    More
    #Breaking BHA announces that “so far, other than the six at the yard of Donald McCain already identified, there have been no further positive samples returned” from 720 swabs tested to date for equine flu by the Animal Health Trust of the 2,100 received (1/2)

1 reply 3 retweets 15 likes
    Reply 1 Retweet 3 Like 15 Direct message

PA Racing

@PAracing
    30m30 minutes ago
    More
    These include swabs taken on horses from trainer Rebecca Menzies’ yard, with those tests due to be repeated (2/2)

1 reply 1 retweet 5 likes
    Reply 1 Retweet 1 Like 5 Direct message

PA Racing

@PAracing
    4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Caution from BHA's David Sykes: "I would advise against anyone drawing any conclusions or making any predictions based on this set of results. Our focus remains on containing the virus through the strict adherence to biosecurity measures we are seeing across the industry."

few positive sounds today

hope springs eternal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

few positive sounds today
    hope springs eternal
    You sent me looking for the poem - An Essay on Man by Alexander Pope

Hope springs eternal in the human breast:
    Man never is, but always to be blest:
    The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
    Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

I like the last lines

All nature is but art, unknown to thee;
    All chance, direction, which thou canst not see;
    All discord, harmony, not understood;
    All partial evil, universal good:
    And, spite of pride, in erring reason's spite,
    One truth is clear, Whatever is, is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,571 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.bbc.com/sport/horse-racing/47193751

Seems racing is off

More positive results just in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Thought racing would be back this coming Wednesday but I’d say that’s unlikely now

Advertisement