Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent giving incorrect details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

An offer of the asking price has been rejected, so all offers now need to be over the asking price.

If the seller does not get an offer of the asking price or higher and they want to sell they can either go back to the last bid on the table which is 65k lower than they want or they can wait. They might get the asking or more but for such an expensive property there can't be dozens of bidders. Each to their own of course but a bird in the hand comes to mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

GreeBo wrote: »
    The confusion is that the agent is telling people there is a bidder @ asking price, not that there was an offer of asking price. I can't make that any clearer yet e fine is igniting it.
    There isn't anly such bidder and this is misleading everyone else who enquires ads to the status of the house.

I have walked away and am looking at other properties as already mentioned.

How do you know there isn’t a bidder that offered asking? Did you read the estate agents emails? Did you listen to their voicemail? It is perfectly believable that someone could have made an offer.

Also it is up to the seller to accept or reject bids. You could have offered €1m above the asking price and they are in the right to reject it if they wish.

You haven’t walked away because you are moaning here. You’ve got yourself into an irrational state. Let it go if you truly want to walk away.

Ps. I don’t expect you to address my questions because you ignore everything that doesn’t suit the fictional situation you have created because you don’t wish to accept that you are probably wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dudara wrote:
    I would disagree. The offer was withdrawn, so the current offer status reverts to the last standing offer.

Here's the kicker. The offer was withdrawn AFTER the offer was rejected. This makes the offer the highest offer & the current offer. Withdrawing the offer after its been rejected doesn't change that the highest offer rejected was the asking price. It would be disingenuous of the estate agent to tell interested parties that the highest offer is 65k below the asking price when the day before they turned down the asking price. This would be misleading the interested parties thinking that a bid of 60k below asking might get them the house.

Estate agents aren't making up the offer nor the rejection of the offer. If they made up the offer I'd understand but it is fact that they rejected the offer for asking price

Things to consider:
    OP has no proof that another offer wasn't put forward. Op has been asked this by over half a dozen posters but skirts the issue each time without answering the question.

OP cancelled the offer "by mail" but by the time scale Im reading from the op. The letter wouldn't have gotten to the estate agent by the time that OP's friend rang up the estate agent to be told that they have a bid for the asking price.

You pointed out yourself that relaying the message from the estate agent, to the friend, to the op, might not be the exact words used by the estate agent. We're hearing it 3rd or 4th hand here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    OP hasn't stated if she gave the offer in writing but she did state that she withdrew the offer by mail. This is all the proof the estate agent needs. The current highest offer is the last highest offer. Withdrawn or not it is the current highest offer.

She..... :D

dudara wrote:
    My understanding is that the bid wasn’t refused. It expired and was withdrawn. It’s a fine point, but it makes the story different.

The offer was made with demands /conditions. This included a 24 deadline. By not attempting to make the deadline (or even make contact during the 24 hours, as far as I can make out) the offer was rejected /refused. If an offer isn't accepted then it is rejected /refused. Withdrawing the offer after this period is withdrawing after the offer has been rejected.

Not trying to be funny but its like trying to say I'm finishing it to your girlfriend /boyfriend after they just dumped you. Offer was rejected before op withdrew.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote:
    She.....

I'll fall off my chair in shock if op is not a she

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP is most definitely not a she.

Commence fall.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OP is a he

Seve OB wrote:
    OP is most definitely not a she.

It was the complete lack of logic in the posts had me thinking it couldn't be a man.

My apologies to op. I was wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It was the complete lack of logic in the posts had me thinking it couldn't be a man.
    come on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is that the OP's point? Any potential buyers should know what the highest actual bid is as well as knowing what the seller's asking price is.

Thank you for actually reading my posts and not making up your own point to argue against, makes a refreshing change over this thread!

bluewolf wrote:
    come on

Ah look its a whole different thread but women argue differently to men. This isn't trying to be sexist. Hands down wife and daughter are much smarter than me but we think differently. Men tend to think more logically thinking. It's why men tend to score higher at problem solving. This does not suggest that men are better than women.

Hand on heart it's not a put down of women.

Ah that hole looks deep enough, I can put down the shovel now

OP hasn't stated if she gave the offer in writing but she did state that she withdrew the offer by mail. This is all the proof the estate agent needs. The current highest offer is the last highest offer. Withdrawn or not it is the current highest offer.

Who is arguing what the highest bid was?
    You keep answering a wishing that nobody asked.

The question is regarding the agent telling people that there is abid on at asking price. There isn't.

This is totally different than them saying that a bid of asking was rejected.
    It might mean the same thing to the seller, but it doesn't to anyone else that wants to bid.

For the umpteenth time the bid was not rejected. Lack of acceptance is not rejection, they wanted to wait until after the viewing to reply.

Is that the OP's point? Any potential buyers should know what the highest actual bid is as well as knowing what the seller's asking price is.

Highest bid & asking price are the same though.

Everyone knows the asking price. It's on DAFT or wherever. People need to know what offers have been made and what offers have been refused before they can make a bid. Stating that there is a bid 65k under the asking price is irrelevant when a bid for the asking price wasn't entertained at all.

Here's the kicker. The offer was withdrawn AFTER the offer was rejected. This makes the offer the highest offer & the current offer. Withdrawing the offer after its been rejected doesn't change that the highest offer rejected was the asking price. It would be disingenuous of the estate agent to tell interested parties that the highest offer is 65k below the asking price when the day before they turned down the asking price. This would be misleading the interested parties thinking that a bid of 60k below asking might get them the house.

Estate agents aren't making up the offer nor the rejection of the offer. If they made up the offer I'd understand but it is fact that they rejected the offer for asking price

Things to consider:
    OP has no proof that another offer wasn't put forward. Op has been asked this by over half a dozen posters but skirts the issue each time without answering the question.

OP cancelled the offer "by mail" but by the time scale Im reading from the op. The letter wouldn't have gotten to the estate agent by the time that OP's friend rang up the estate agent to be told that they have a bid for the asking price.

You pointed out yourself that relaying the message from the estate agent, to the friend, to the op, might not be the exact words used by the estate agent. We're hearing it 3rd or 4th hand here.

E-mail. They have it on computers now.
    My wife rang the agent so I'm pretty confident of the message.

If the offer had a 24 hot expiry, which it didn't, and the agent doesn't revert within 24 hours, then the offer expires before it had a chance to be rejected. Even your own logic is arguing against your point now.

Highest bid & asking price are the same though.

Everyone knows the asking price. It's on DAFT or wherever. People need to know what offers have been made and what offers have been refused before they can make a bid. Stating that there is a bid 65k under the asking price is irrelevant when a bid for the asking price wasn't entertained at all.

Still incorrect. A bid of asking with conditions expired.

Any chance you can answer the question i keep asking rather than keep arguing your own point that no one cares about?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Still incorrect. A bid of asking with conditions expired was rejected

Fixed that for you for a true reflection of what has happened despite what you think happened.

godtabh wrote: »
    Fixed that for you for a true reflection of what has happened despite what you think happened.

Ok. Explain how it was rejected?

So you were able to email the estate agent about offers but no one else was? Do you not see the logic fail when you say that no one had time to make an offer?

GreeBo wrote:
    The question is regarding the agent telling people that there is abid on at asking price. There isn't.

Did you send your withdrawal letter by registered mail?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ok. Explain how it was rejected?

they didnt accept it.

Its not rocket science.

So you were able to email the estate agent about offers but no one else was? Do you not see the logic fail when you say that no one had time to make an offer?

There was a phone call. Please read the thread.

godtabh wrote: »
    they didnt accept it.

Its not rocket science.

It expired, they didn't reject it.
    The agent said the vendor wanted to do the viewing before replying.

Its not even geology.

I have read the thread. Although I don’t think you have.it do possible that someone could have emailed or phoned the estate agent with an offer at the asking price. Even though you said there was no time.

Hi EA,
    Please take this as an official offer on 123 Main St for the asking price of €x.
    Kind Regards,
    FT

That took me about 30 seconds to put together. See how fast offers could come in?

Also, an asking price is just an invitation to bid. It’s not contractual if you meet it. The owner could reject every bid over it if they want. It’s their prerogative.

Please get onto the PRSA about this episode of your life and get back to us with the results of their investigation because I do like a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Look, its obvious that the seller isn't going to accept an offer below asking. Surely that's what the potential buyers need to know and the auctioneer needs to get across in the interest of saving everyone else time and tyre kicking.
    You offered asking, it wasn't accepted. Move on or hope for a grovelling phone call in a few weeks time.
    PRSA can't and won't get involved as there's most likely a record of your offer with the auctioneer which is pretty much all they will require.

I have read the thread. Although I don’t think you have.it do possible that someone could have emailed or phoned the estate agent with an offer at the asking price. Even though you said there was no time.

Hi EA,
    Please take this as an official offer on 123 Main St for the asking price of €x.
    Kind Regards,
    FT

That took me about 30 seconds to put together. See how fast offers could come in?

Please get onto the PRSA about this episode of your life and get back to us with the results of their investigation because I do like a laugh.

Sure.
    But either the person did this before my wife rang and so the agent would have told me when i rang or the person did it after i withdrew my bid and so the agent lied to my wife.

Sure.
    But either the person did this before my wife rang and so the agent would have told me when i rang or the person did it after i withdrew my bid and so the agent lied to my wife.

As I said. Let us know how you get on with the PRSA.

GreeBo wrote:
    It expired, they didn't reject it. The agent said the vendor wanted to do the viewing before replying.

By not accepting it they rejected it. They knew the deadline & let it expire. Why let it expire? Because it wasn't accepted.

Question: Was your offer accepted?

kippy wrote: »
    Look, its obvious that the seller isn't going to accept an offer below asking. Surely that's what the potential buyers need to know and the auctioneer needs to get across in the interest of saving everyone else time and tyre kicking.
    You offered asking, it wasn't accepted. Move on or hope for a grovelling phone call in a few weeks time.
    PRSA can't and won't get involved as there's most likely a record of your offer with the auctioneer which is pretty much all they will require.

Buyers need to know who they are bidding against.

that's the entire point of this thread, despite you and others continually talking about what i should do next and similar nonsense.

For the umpteenth time, i didn't start a thread asking for advice on what to do next to get this house. I have moved on.

This thread is about an EA leading people to believe they are biding against me starting from the asking price. This is factually incorrect.

Please, please stick to this topic.

• Advertisement

So i am the only person here who as a buyer would want to distinguosh between bidding against someone else versus bidding against the vendors expectations?

Seriously?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement