Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite/Least Favourite UK accents??

• 08-02-2019 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I saw a Yougov poll carried out 4 years ago asking people from the UK which was their favourite and least favourite "regional" UK accents.

Now the bizarre thing is they decided to include southern Ireland in this poll (WTF?), turning into a British (and Irish) isles thing, so of course which regional accent of course topped this poll?

Southern Irish +42
    Received pronunciation/BBC English +31
    Welsh +20
    Yorkshire +15
    West Country + 13
    Geordie +10
    Northern Irish +5 (surprised about this one)
    Glaswegian -29
    Cockney - 30
    Manchester - 31
    Scouse - 33
    Brummie - 55 (ouch)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/lifestyle/articles-reports/2014/12/09/accent-map2

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/iwkrmxbxyl/InternalResults_141128_accents_Website.pdf (poll in full)

I'm born and raised in England but I have regular (boring) southern English accent, not pronounced BBC English crap but not cockney either.

Surprised Norn Iron doesn't do better, that people rate a Yorkshire accent MUCH better than a Manchester accent (I can't tell the difference between them so easily), and I thought people liked Scottish accents?

Also is the Scouse accent as unpopular in Ireland as it is in UK? Just curious because Irish people have often been seen as partly to blame for why it exists in the first place. Liverpool spoke like regular Lancashire folk in the 1800s and then it was first considered its own distinct accent in the 1890s thanks to huge waves of Irish immigration.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I should say the Birmingham accent but I lived there and have gotten used to it.

However, the Liverpool accent screams "skanger" to me.

Strong manchester accents are horrible as well as yorkshire accents.

Oddly, I have a huge horn for girls with well spoken English accents

• Jamie Carragher is as mellifluous as a dentist's drill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

There are tons of local variations in Scottish accents.

Glaswegian is horrible but half cast weegie is worst. Not quite Glasgow, not quite Edinburgh. Posh Glaswegian is just as crap.

People from Aberdeen sound like Geordies, Highlander is nice, miners scots is gobbledygook (my brother speaks like that) but the most popular (according to QI) is a posh Edinburgh accent (like mine!).

Queens Scottish its sometimes called. I find valleys Welsh the most annoying after Glaswegian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Michael the Geordie, whatsitallabootleek

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We changed all the accents in the north west of England

The innit bruvs of the 19th century

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No surprise there. Worked in a call centre for a couple of years and spoke to many a frustrated UK housewife. Can confirm the auld Irish brogue gets them wetter than an otter's pocket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You mug, you muppet, you slag

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,774 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've a "northern" English accent. People quickly work out in from the North, but very rarely work out I'm from Yorkshire. I spent my childhood in the very North of Yorkshire with a few years in Leeds, 25 years or so in Manchester and 12 years over here.

My sister has more of a Geordie accent but she has spent most of her adult life in and around Newcastle. My brother has a North Yorkshire accent with a bit of Teesside thrown in

In terms of my own favourite it's definitely the Geordie accent. The one I like least is the Brummie accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Favourite accent Northampton, least favourite accent Northampton.

Edit: bonus feature. The glamorous Northampton in some of its glory, it's got worse since this video! The first couple of voices you hear have a Northampton accent. Ignore the one after that (the bloke in the still, is from Yorkshire or some desolate part of the North)

Edit 2: Two fine Northampton exports (though Matt Smith has lost his accent)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

Agricola wrote: »
    No surprise there. Worked in a call centre for a couple of years and spoke to many a frustrated UK housewife. Can confirm the auld Irish brogue gets them wetter than an otter's pocket.

I worked in a Dublin call centre and got a call from an Englishwoman living in NI, we was practically purring down the phone at me because of my accent. Pleasantly disconcerting. Damn that practise of recording calls for training purposes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

I like a soft west-country accent - like Dr Alice Roberts, for example. Posh accents are nice too - if the speaker is female.

I can't stand the scouse accent or their slang, which sounds to me like baby talk. I don't like the mancunian accent either.

The Birmingham accent is more funny than unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Favourite is the welsh accent. Also love the Geordie accent and have a liking for the south west Devon/Cornwall Oooh Aaar Oooh Aaar accent too. The Edinburgh accent is nice also as well as northern Scottish accents. Hebrides accent is also really nice.

I detest the Yorkshire accent, Brummie Scouse and Manx accent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Cockney or 'Sarf Landan' is the worst.

Love a soft Scottish or Welsh accent on a lady, very sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hate hate hate that Cumbria 'ooh are' accent.
    I can only think of stuffed moose heads on a grand country house wall hearing it.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Behind my own slow Norfolk drawl lurks a brain which is struggling to keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

KevRossi wrote: »

You should watch The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie then.. " Girls, 6 inches is more than sufficient. Anything more is just Vulgar ". (Referring to how much a window should be open and not what you were all thinking :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I like a Scottish accent the most I think and find a southern English accent on a lady to be quite sexy (probably some internalised colonial inferiority thing :D)

Dislike the Welsh and Liverpool accent, while I find the West Country accent pretty amusing I reckon it'd begin to annoy me after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The 'innit bruv' one. Though since Brexit I think of them all as speaking like this.

A posh Scottish one is like nails down a blackboard too, but that's mainly because the owner of the accent is 99.99% nailed on to be a humongous twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Behind my own slow Norfolk drawl lurks a brain which is struggling to keep up.

It's a great accent. Looking forward to visiting there again this year after a couple of years of missing it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Welsh accent and a West country accent.

Anything north of Birmingham sounds like a inbreeding accident.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

West country accent.
    Always weird to hear the late Colin Pillinger talking space science in that accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

KevRossi wrote: »

Not a fan of TOWIE then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Welsh accent.

Some of them Welsh accents are very hard to make out.

Can't stand a Scottish accent tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Live in Cornwall, love a proper cornish accent.
    Not too keen on Birmingham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Panthro wrote: »
    Live in Cornwall, love a proper cornish accent.
    Not too keen on Birmingham

You're in good company it appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I like the theatrical Received Pronunciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

prinzeugen wrote: »
    There are tons of local variations in Scottish accents.

Glaswegian is horrible but half cast weegie is worst. Not quite Glasgow, not quite Edinburgh. Posh Glaswegian is just as crap.

People from Aberdeen sound like Geordies, Highlander is nice, miners scots is gobbledygook (my brother speaks like that) but the most popular (according to QI) is a posh Edinburgh accent (like mine!).

Queens Scottish its sometimes called. I find valleys Welsh the most annoying after Glaswegian.

Inverness is a the nicest Scottish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Any Northern Ireland accent. Painful. And no matter what they're saying, they have to say "communiddy and sitchyation"

Any accent that pronounces Graph “Graff”.

****ing Philistines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Most really - cannot understand the N.I. accent hate. Yum!

The only one I really dislike is the strong south-west England accent: "Oi've got a brand new comboine 'arvester", Vicky Pollard etc.

Advertisement