Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite/Least Favourite UK accents??

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Jamie Carragher is as mellifluous as a dentist's drill.

Saliva flying everywhere.

That’s right. What with the u in there.

Do you have your own language going on there?

yes. Just me, the Queen and 360 million other people.
    Every sentence is a question, innit?

I ain't done nuffink, 'ave I?

Or as their Dublin cousins would say "I ain't done nuttin, ave I, so?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Aegir wrote: »
    yes. Just me, the Queen and 360 million other people

The queen doesn’t pronounce graph like graff? She should speak the queens English.

The queen doesn’t pronounce graph like graff? She should speak the queens English.

Of course not, she’s posh and posh people always draw out their words.

Like “can one pass the farcking pheasant please”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aegir wrote: »
    Like “can one pass the farcking pheasant please”
    But Prince Philip couldn't overtake the peasant safely and has since handed in his licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I don't know why some people think everybody from Cornwall to Carlisle all sound like someone from Eastenders whenever 'an English accent' is mooted or imitated, there's different accents in East Anglia, the Midlands, Bristol, the North West, Stoke and so on.

I really hate that flat generic Southern English/Londonsphere accent which is dull as dishwater and carries no wit or lyricality.

Bristol is an ugly urbanised West Country accent although I don't mind the softer ones that start about Reading going westwards.

Northern accents are best, just sound friendlier and carry off wit even sarcasm most effectively, particularly Liverpool and Manchester whom I think are the people closest to us in character and humour across the water. Yorkshire and it's folk seem more quintessentially English to me than people on the western side of the Pennines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

N/A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Candie wrote: »
    About 12 miles north west of Birmingham is the town of Dudley, where the accent is like a Brummie accent on steroids. It's ghastly.
    Watched a documentary about Miss Black Country - assuming it was a beauty pageant specifically involving women of African descent. And there were some, but no, that wasn't exactly it. :)

Most of them were from Dudley. Pretty awful accent all right. And the Black Country (the stretch between Birmingham and Wolverhampton I believe) is a pretty bleak place. Got the name from all the industry there many years ago, most of which is dead now.

I mentioned the Birmingham accent being the heavy metal accent earlier, and it is really fascinating in my opinion the way that city and its surrounds do seem to be where heavy metal originated, for literal reasons too - steelworks galore.

Advertisement