Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Mountjoy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mark25

dar100 wrote: »
    The women were on old D wing of saint Pats, those of us on C wing use to be on the window all night talking to them, some craic..... flower pots

Sounds mental! Was it like my mate fancies your mate .. :) Happy days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Mark25 wrote: »

Haha was good craic. Our yards were also separated by a steel grill we could talk through, use to get visits across to each other as well and we couldn't wear our own clothes so the girls use to throw us over tshirts etc.

Mark25 wrote: »

Haha was good craic. Our yards were also separated by a steel grill we could talk through, use to get visits across to each other as well and we couldn't wear our own clothes so the girls use to throw us over tshirts etc.

Edit: just had a flash back, we all had these square mirrors we use to stick out the window to get a look at each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Especially a violent crime. Can't see you getting much more than 25% off for that.

And after having two fights in there. One where two lads got the chuck Norris treatment.

Governer probably thought it safer for everyone to let him out before he just decided to leave.

Does anyone know where the addicts get money everyday to feed a habit. Outside they can rob or beg for it. Is their mammy buying them gear?

The talking to girls on d wing is a bit sad. There’s a girl in making my dinner at the moment I didn’t have to get locked up to talk to one.

And after having two fights in there. One where two lads got the chuck Norris treatment.

Governer probably thought it safer for everyone to let him out before he just decided to leave.

Does anyone know where the addicts get money everyday to feed a habit. Outside they can rob or beg for it. Is their mammy buying them gear?

The talking to girls on d wing is a bit sad. There’s a girl in making my dinner at the moment I didn’t have to get locked up to talk to one.

You may think it a bit said, and thats ok. However a bunch of 16 year olds serving a number of years in custody while progressing through one of the most developmentally difficult times in their lives would disagree. Nor is that the reason why they were incarcerated in the first place.... I wonder if your keyboard warrior judgement would extend to actually saying this to one of these individuals?

There's many ways people support their substance use whilst in prison and I've many stories , some absolutely hilarious, some horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Nothing to do with the governor in Ireland. The head guy in the department of justice, I think the last one was Brian Purcell but could have the name wrong , makes these decisions but there are strict guidelines.

If sentenced to four years you'd expect to serve three years. Drug dealers do it to the day & there is leeway for other crimes but I've never heard of someone only serving 25%of their sentence before. Especially for a violent crime as implied by the poster

CRS at half way

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't believe any of that is true. Someone has been watching too much prison break I think.

Family & friends provide the money. Some drug dealers send in small amounts hash for free. These owe favours to the drug dealer either in prison or when they get out. A drug dealer might offer to send in a few hundred euros worth of gear for anyone who cuts up a particular inmate.

dar100 wrote: »
    You may think it a bit said, and thats ok. However a bunch of 16 year olds serving a number of years in custody while progressing through one of the most developmentally difficult times in their lives would disagree. Nor is that the reason why they were incarcerated in the first place.... I wonder if your keyboard warrior judgement would extend to actually saying this to one of these individuals?

There's many ways people support their substance use whilst in prison and I've many stories , some absolutely hilarious, some horrendous.

Ah there’s nothing keyboard warrior about it. I have a few friends who have been to jail I don’t think they’d take offense if they were reminiscing about being able to talk to a girl through a wire fence and I said it sounds abit sad.

I’m not preaching or anything like that. I’d say 90 per cent of people in jail just got a worse start in life than I was given.

I find they just stop talking about jail anytime they feel like you are asking too many questions about it. I don’t know anyone who would admit to being an addict in there so can’t ask them where they got their money to keep the party going in jail. Few lads told me they drank in there and hooch is just made thereand shared. I made it once using one of their recipes. It was rank.

McCrack wrote:
    CRS at half way

Half way is 18 months not a year.

Also in prison for a violent crime & being in two fights in the first year while in prison will add time to your sentence not make it shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

McCrack wrote: »
    CRS at half way

Very specific criteria need to be met for that. Your average scumbag isn’t getting out on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I would guess that for the most part drug debts are paid on the outside. A prisoners family know what will happen to the addict relative who is locked up if they don't pay.
    Most violent inside would be from these drug debts not being paid.
    Smuggling in some drugs during a visit might be an option for a family that can't afford to pay.

Also in prison for a violent crime & being in two fights in the first year while in prison will add time to your sentence not make it shorter.

Can I ask how you know so much about the prison service. I’ve noticed from the forum you are a plumber specializing in electric showers. With a depth of electric shower knowledge I may add.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

macnug wrote: »
    Depends on the prison itself, Mountjoy is probably the worst in ireland. US are one of the worst in western world imo, Californian prisons are the worst for white inmates, East Coast not as bad. South American prisons are way worse though, don't even get a bed in most just a rat infested floor.

Jaysus, you've done some hard time..:eek:

not yet wrote: »
    Jaysus, you've done some hard time..:eek:

He kept his head down. I hear you only need to have two fights a year provided you help the other prisoners out and don’t try act the hard man.

Not necessarily, you don't always lose remission for getting into a fight. Often you will just lose recreation time, visits, phone calls, tuck shop etc. Even if you do lose remission, that is not the same as adding extra onto your sentence as technically you have to earn it to start with

Can I ask how you know so much about the prison service. I’ve noticed from the forum you are a plumber specializing in electric showers. With a depth of electric shower knowledge I may add.

There's more than one side to a coin. I have owned hairdressers and barber shops, owned a security company, promotions business, stretch limo hire business & I'm a landlord of commercial & residential property amongst many, many other things.
    dar100 wrote:
    Not necessarily, you don't always lose remission for getting into a fight. Often you will just lose recreation time, visits, phone calls, tuck shop etc. Even if you do lose remission, that is not the same as adding extra onto your sentence as technically you have to earn it to start with

The poster implied that he got 4 years for a violent crime. He stated that he was in two fights in prison and got out after one year. This is impossible. If he ratted out a dealer with half a million euros worth of drugs he wouldn't get out after one year. Same poster suggested that mutual relief is common place in prison when it's almost unheard of.

You are correct that time isn't added on as only the courts can do this. You can lose a few weeks remission from fights. Granted this is usually given back to you if you behave but my real point is that no one getting 4 years gets out after 1 year especially when in two fights in prison.

Someone's watching too much American TV imo

There's more than one side to a coin. I have owned hairdressers and barber shops, owned a security company, promotions business, stretch limo hire business & I'm a landlord of commercial & residential property amongst many, many other things.

The poster implied that he got 4 years for a violent crime. He stated that he was in two fights in prison and got out after one year. This is impossible. If he ratted out a dealer with half a million euros worth of drugs he wouldn't get out after one year. Same poster suggested that mutual relief is common place in prison when it's almost unheard of.

You are correct that time isn't added on as only the courts can do this. You can lose a few weeks remission from fights. Granted this is usually given back to you if you behave but my real point is that no one getting 4 years gets out after 1 year especially when in two fights in prison.

Someone's watching too much American TV imo

Lol

I missed the context of your reply. You were of course correct

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Alright Gerry, how is life on the run!?

Alright Gerry, how is life on the run!?

The border fox hasn't a patch on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

At 1\4 remission

But yea unless there was some suspended element of the 4 years he is talking out his arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Back in 2012 the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter released 1,200 prisoners with the stroke of a pen. Reason given was to reduce over capacity. So I could well believe that some prisoners don't even serve half their time when the prisons are full beyond capacity, they have to find a way to make space for new prisoners and the only way to do that is to release others early without them serving their full sentence minus the remission.

Here's a relevant story from today and a look at what is considered a top of the rage phone in prison.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/brian-rattigan-suffers-massive-blow-13977652

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I well believe him too, don’t think he is talking **** either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Paul Kimmage has a book on this

If a prisoner in Dublin is causing trouble like striking an officer they bundle him into a van and down the motorway for a short stay in Cork. As the newbie and outsider the Dublin prisoner may get a beating or hard time form the Corkonians

Cork troublemakers get sent to Dublin for the same treatment

No idea if it’s true or not. Was in a book is ‘all

Muahahaha wrote:
    Back in 2012 the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter released 1,200 prisoners with the stroke of a pen. Reason given was to reduce over capacity. So I could well believe that some prisoners don't even serve half their time when the prisons are full beyond capacity, they have to find a way to make space for new prisoners and the only way to do that is to release others early without them serving their full sentence minus the remission.

The ones released were all close to the end of their sentence or in for pety crime. None of them were in for violent crimes. Many came from open prisons. None of them continued to be violent while in prison. Prisoners in for violent crime don't get out that easy. If Alan Shatter released someone one year into a four year sentence for a violent crime & they hurt or killed someone while out early then the government can be sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Muahahaha wrote: »

Some with very short sentences do, but are still on TR. Nobody with a four year sentence, especially for a violent offence is getting this. Prisoners who have to be released due to overcrowding come from a shortlist drawn up by Governor’s Chief’s, ISM Officers and external agencies.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Paul Kimmage has a book on this

If a prisoner in Dublin is causing trouble like striking an officer they bundle him into a van and down the motorway for a short stay in Cork. As the newbie and outsider the Dublin prisoner may get a beating or hard time form the Corkonians

Cork troublemakers get sent to Dublin for the same treatment

No idea if it’s true or not. Was in a book is ‘all

Its part true, years ago there was something in it, especially for younger crowd coming from pats to spike island. Cork is more like the Joy, i was sent to cork from paths myself when fairly young and it was grand. Such is the nature of gangs that none of this type of fighting based on where you are from happens anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its pretty amazing that the mobile phone signal in prisons isn't jammed. The technology is there to do so, is there a good reason why they haven't?

Its pretty amazing that the mobile phone signal in prisons isn't jammed. The technology is there to do so, is there a good reason why they haven't?

You can't just use jamming equipment and keep it to within the walls of the prison. Some surrounding buildings and areas would have signal blocked also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mountjoy Prison is beside the Mater Hospital and Mountjoy Garda Station. In the case of the cop shop, they even share a couple of office buildings. Also, there's plenty of residential dwellings within a literal stone's throw.

Advertisement